Man Spends $330,000 on Virtual Item

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
10:1
PED=Project Entropia Dollars
$10 PED to $1 US dollar

Then it's $330,000 USD equal to $3,300,000 or $3.3 million PED
He has to make that much in game to recover his loss before he can make a profit.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
I've seen an axe on d2jsp worth over 300,000 forum gold. just one axe.

The best deal on that site for purchasing forum gold is 100 dollars for 3175fg, so that was worth nearly 10,000 bucks...but I guess that pales in comparison to 330,000.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Simalacrum said:
I have to agree with Funk on this one - unlike the golden Wii/PS3, this actually has the potential for a substantial amount of financial return from it - it isn't stupid, its actually a viable business transaction.

That said... $330,000 on an item that doesn't physically exist... whooooaaaaaa...
I'm having trouble deciding between "revolutionary" and "insane".

DObs

Jul 4, 2009
Such a bizaare and interesting concept. Kinda like someone buying Ogrimmar in WOW then getting a cut of all the trade that goes on there? A lot of people saying its mental, but its no more different than any other business transaction. Your never garunteed to make a return on it let alone any substantial profit, if it were that easy everyone would do it and we'd all be millionaires. Also people saying 'this money is wasted, starving kids in Africa blah blah blah' none of us even know this guy, he might already give plenty to charities, also, what if he makes double or triple on his initial investment surely then hed have even more money to give away which would be better right?

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
IckleMissMayhem said:
Man Spends $330,000 on Virtual Item...man is frikking idiot
Man becomes rich after spending $330,000 on Virtual Item...Man is idiotic millionaire.

Fucking swedes.

EliteFreq

Dec 10, 2008
IckleMissMayhem said:
Man Spends $330,000 on Virtual Item...man is frikking idiot
If you payed attention, it's an investment. He's going to make money from that, and if people are crazy enough to actually bid that high, then you know they're going to pay to use his Space Station.

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
It sounds really stupid but in a couple of weeks he could be making a massive profit, so if it works, fair play to him. But I wouldn't risk that kind of money because if the servers break or the game gets destroyed somehow he just lost $330,000

swansman

Dec 21, 2009
Kalezian said:
Daggermonkie said:
ummm.wait let me grasp this awsome consept....you pay real money for fake money...and get fake stufff....to get real money?or more fake money?i dont get online timeshares/buisnesses/waste of my money/time

Entropia Universe is one of the weird games out there, you can play it without ever putting money into it, and you can make real money the same way [before I quit I made about $130 USD from selling sweat..........dont......dont ask.......]
Im sorry but I have to ask. You sell sweat for real money, what is the sweat for?

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Spleenbag said:
Ben Bazooka said:
It's a business investment.
Danny Ocean said:
It's not an illogical decision, and utility is still gained. From a purely economic standpoint this decision is fine.

Risky, but fine.
These gentlemen/ladies have it right. It's not a game for these people; it's making a living. Don't knock it.

Personally, I'm thrilled that at least one MMO is embracing player-driven economy and letting it translate to real-world cash. AFAIK, this was one of the first big games to do that, and Second Life, of course, was the next one (and people make their livings from SL, too.)
It's a good thing there are few of these kind of games that are in touch with the economy in real life like this. Personally I'd never play one, as I'm not willing to spend any money in a game (in other ways than purchasing one) and why would I want to feel poor/envious in a virtual world.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
It sounded really stupid until I read that he can make money off of it. Then it sounded less stupid.

swansman

Dec 21, 2009
Kalezian said:
swansman said:
Kalezian said:
Daggermonkie said:
ummm.wait let me grasp this awsome consept....you pay real money for fake money...and get fake stufff....to get real money?or more fake money?i dont get online timeshares/buisnesses/waste of my money/time

Entropia Universe is one of the weird games out there, you can play it without ever putting money into it, and you can make real money the same way [before I quit I made about $130 USD from selling sweat..........dont......dont ask.......]
Im sorry but I have to ask. You sell sweat for real money, what is the sweat for?
its used in some high level skills/spells, I cant remember which ones though, its been a while.

and a stack of 100 would go for about 2 PED if that, which was $0.20 in USD.
Well way to go on making real money in a video game, i wish i could do that.

Syl4r

Nov 15, 2009
Risky decision. He could've just fucked up his life or set him self on the path to richness.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
If he turns a profit, I'd say this was a good idea, if not, well, then it was a colossally bad idea. It's nothing like people that buy those scratch-away-and-redeem-code cards for World of Warcraft on eBay for $3,000 or more, since those virtual items literally exist to do nothing, whereas this can actually be a money maker.

So who knows? Maybe this is genuine foresight we're seeing here.