Man Spends $330,000 on Virtual Item

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Not ever sure how to respond to this other than with a dumbfounded head shake. o_o

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
LeonLethality said:
mortgaged his house to buy an online asteroid
-facepalm-

This is just tragic to say the least.
That is the stupid part of this, putting your home at risk for an investment(any sort of investment, not just virtual). Otherwise the system is sound and is even backed by the Swedish government(which seems to have a better handle on things like health care and other concerns that the US has yet to approach intelligently). This sounds more worthwhile to play in than Second Life, where you can also put money into for virtual items and virtual land, and even turn SL currency back into real money. Lately though, SL is turning into a money pit for players thanks to crooked changes by the developers.
If I had a chunk of change that could turn into a lot more money by putting it into a game, I would do it. I would NOT mortgage my home or anything as foolhardy as that especially this day and age to do it. Mr. Jacobs needs to get slapped upside the head.
I would like to know how things turn out for Mr. Lightyear though.
Souplex said:
This is why you should need a license to handle more than $5000 at a time.
You seriously want the government to tell you how much money you can have? Take a moment and think about that some more.
henritje said:
that is a lot of money for that cost. He might as well bought a part of a real company.(I forgot the name but I think it was stock)
And how would that be any less risk? Have you been watching the stock markets lately? These days I would actually have more faith in a system like this. With the money they pull in they can buy their own power plant to keep their servers running.
Vanguard_Ex said:
I played Entropia Universe for a very short while...word of advice to beginners:
Don't fucking play it. Delete it and find something else.
It's confusing as hell and makes zero sense.
Well same goes for EVE Online for many people, and yet it has a strong dedicated playerbase, so obviously it wouldnt be confusing for everybody. But thanks for the free advice.
you rolled a one said:
...that would be why i wouldn't touch second life with a 10' pole
Second Life doesn't have a license to act as a bank, and its current policies are discouraging any small ingame businesses from starting up. It may be better nobody touches that with any sort of pole.
dmase said:
I think i would just buy an in game intergalactic missle... or something. Then threaten each of these areas for 1 trillion dollars. hahaha
Now THAT sounds like fun. Build your own Evil Lair(asteroids can make a great location), hire minions, build a fleet of pirate cruisers and blockade runners, and use the money you pull in from piracy, protection scams, smuggling, project x's to put towards building a doomsday device. Score!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
How can you have the time to both make that kind of money AND play MMORPGs? It's impossible!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
I played Entropia Universe for a very short while...word of advice to beginners:
Don't fucking play it. Delete it and find something else.
It's confusing as hell and makes zero sense.
Well same goes for EVE Online for many people, and yet it has a strong dedicated playerbase, so obviously it wouldnt be confusing for everybody. But thanks for the free advice.
And thank you ever so much for the unnecessary censorship. EVE Online is a lot less confusing that Entropia, I assure you.
In my time playing it I was placed in some strange city next to what appeared to be a lunar lander, dressed in what also appeared to be a sort of cutoff wetsuit. My screen was filled with unexplained icons and stats, and I spent the majority of my time in some endless plains gathering sweat from strange creatures which 80% of the time would get pissed off with me, and relentlessly chase me until I died. After I collected said sweat, through a method which involved chanting some strange aborigine-esque tune and then miming a kind of pulling-a-rope motion whilst a green beam travelled between my hands and the creature, I had to sell it to some woman who I really couldn't figure out as to whether she was AI or player controlled.

So yeah, pretty confusing.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
That's more risky than banking it at Northern Rock. Seriously though, he has paid such a large amount of money for something that doesn't physically exist? That is absurd.

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
So wait, your telling me whoever made this game just made $330,000 for modeling a building and some landscape? Something isnt right.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
if you are willing to spend so much on an item, you should turn off the game, and just give the money to someone who really needs it. this really makes me sick.

WickedSkin

Feb 15, 2008
LeonLethality said:
mortgaged his house to buy an online asteroid
-facepalm-

This is just tragic to say the least.
Remove "online" and it's the most awesome sentence ever.

Anyhow
So now then? They open up a club and charges for entrence or something in order to make the cash back? If you can earn money like in RL it might be a good investment... or something. Anyway, good luck man.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Sounds cool, I mean if the game works like people say it does he could make some cash from this, I also disprove of everyone calling this guy an idiot.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Gunblade7303 said:
if you are willing to spend so much on an item, you should turn off the game, and just give the money to someone who really needs it. this really makes me sick.
Then maybe you should go shutdown the stock market, and all business, and the economy too!

Zak McKracken

Jan 2, 2010
Ive read through these comments - and as an active player in Entropia Ill give you heads up about why Buzz investment of CP will make him money. First look at the History

David Storey buys Virtual Island "Treasure Island" for $24.500USD in 2004, He made his investment back in 2005.. And Treasure Island is a very popular place in Entropia even in 2009, scenario of one player scoring a big payday from a monster called a Hogglo Dominant in 2006 netting the player who killed it 50,150PED ($5015 USD) David receives tax of 4.5% of that mob , means that everyone who mines ore and hunts monsters have to pay 4.5% of the money they earn to the landowner (David).

John Jacobs buys Asteroid for $100.000USD in 2005, He made his investment back in 8 months, Club Neverdie (Asteroid) is an extremely popular mining area, along with one of the hardest mobs in the game, in 2005 a lucky player killed a Dasplator Young and netted 90,000+ PED (over $9.000 USD) Johns tax rate is 5.5%, Another player finds a mining deposit worth 110.000PED (over $11,000+ USD) again another 5.5%. Since 2005 a 105kped,103kped,89kped,98kped,99kped,95kped has been looted in 6 loots at 5.5% and the only expediture is fertilizer to feed the mobs.

Now Buzz Lightyear has bought Crystal Palace Space Station - Probably the most popular hunting places in Entropia Universe having approx 70 hunters per DAY hunting in the domes , at 4% tax, people hunt up to 14 hours on CP at a single time, it has unique monsters and easily one player would kill an average of 50 mobs per day with a ped turnaround of 3ped MINIMUM per mob (0.30US cents) x 50 x 70 = 10500PED PER DAY (1050 USD) at 4% tax rate earning him 42 USD per DAY (and thats not including MINIS (10-20ped+) , GLOBALS (50+) , HOFS (250+),approx (according to entropia tracker) average loot just in GLOBALS & HOFS (50+) is 17681 PED per DAY on Aurli Monster and 7074 PED per DAY on Kreltin Monster = 24755PED (2475USD) at 4% tax is 99USD per DAY on AVERAGE, so add 99USD+42USD = 141USD per DAY on AVERAGE , on New Years Day he had hunting revenue just in 50ped and above loots of 35633 (3563USD) so sitting on his ass doing nothing on new years day he made 142USD + 42USD = 184 USD - Note this does NOT include any MINIS (10-20PED LOOTS) but we will say that can be for fertilizer cost is the only expenditure, also revenue from selling 30 player owned stalls as well.

So thats just based on averages so his weekly salary just for sitting on his ass doing nothing is a MINIMUM 987USD - Not Bad Huh !, not to mention event tickets , players hiring the domes for events, and a bonus for the ATH (All Time Highs) that get looted (someone got a 87000ped aurli during the time the palace was up for auction) say that happened again theres another 300USD just for that one loot !

Cheers:)