Man Takes Hostage, Comments On SWAT Standoff Via Facebook

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Man Takes Hostage, Comments On SWAT Standoff Via Facebook

Apparently 21st Century etiquette demands that if you take someone hostage and get into a police standoff, you should keep your friends updated via Facebook.

If you took someone hostage, would you brag about it on Facebook? That's what Jason Valdez did while he was in a sixteen-hour standoff with SWAT teams near Salt Lake City, Utah. The man's been wanted by authorities since June 1 after he missed a preliminary hearing for a case where he was being charged with felony and misdemeanor drug possession charges.

Somehow, the man's whereabouts were discovered by police; before they could serve him with their felony drug warrant, though, Valdez barricaded himself in a motel room with a hostage and started posting updates on Facebook. All in all, Valdez made six posts and "added at least a dozen new friends."

Valdez's first update occurred at 11:23 PM: "I'm currently in a standoff ... kinda ugly, but ready for whatever. I love u guyz and if I don't make it out of here alive that I'm in a better place and u were all great friends."

The updates went both ways, actually, like when a friend posted that a SWAT officer was hiding in the bushes outside the room. "Thank you homie," Valdez responded. "Good looking out."

Since some of his friends were technically offering him tips via Facebook, authorities are now debating whether or not they should charge these people with Obstruction of Justice.

Family and friends made over a hundred posts on Valdez's Facebook wall. Some of them offered him encouragement (or "liked" his updates and the photos he posted of himself and his hostage), while others begged him to "do the right thing."

Finally, at 7:25 AM, Valdez made his final post (pictured here): "Well i was lettin this girl go but these dumb bastards made an attempt to come in after i told them not to, so i popped off a couple more shots and now were startin all over again it seems ..."

When officers stormed the room, Valdez shot himself in the chest (no SWAT personnel fired a shot, reportedly) and is currently in critical condition. Meanwhile, <a href=https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000295855161&sk=wall>his Facebook page is still up for public viewing and has been overrun with comments from family and friends who are defending him, as well as people who are ... Well, let's just say they're less-than supportive of the man and leave it at that.

Honestly, this whole story is just too bizarre to be fake. It's also a bit stunning that so many people are defending him, especially since "court records show Valdez has a criminal history, including convictions for aggravated assault and domestic violence in front of a child."

Source: <a href=http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FACEBOOK_STANDOFF?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-06-21-17-32-46>AP

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
...For real?

...I don't know why, but I find that hilarious. I don't know, just... what do you do if you're not going to let SWAT come and get you? I'd probably post on the Pony Group, but hey, that's just me.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Where's the "like" button?

Just foolin'! Ah well, add this to the pile of reasons people think facebook is eeeevvvvvviiiillllll

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This is pretty funny I gotta say. I love how his buddies just gave him tips to where cops were hiding. I mean really this whole thing is just so absurd I feel like it belongs in a comedy.

You know you can all picture it too. Imagine your choice of B-list comedian in this situation, actually no.

Come on Hollywood don't let us down, we know you love adapting crap like this into low budget movies.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
The SWAT team should troll his account. I would love to see his reaction to that, although it could cause him to shoot a hostage so that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

brodie21

Apr 6, 2009
I think that the people who actually said shit like 'there is a guy in the bushes' should be charged, but not the people who just liked his updates.

also, i think that the cops should have gotten someone on facebook to tell him that the back door was clear or some shit like that and nabbed him when he tried to go out

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I mean this is beyond fail. Not only does he update facebook status, , he gets confused on the principle of a hostage, then when the police break in, he shoots himself in the chest... AND LIVES

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Im not sure what is boggling my mind more right now, this, or the story about teens getting drunk off of vodka soaked tampons.

Seriously, what the fuck is going on in the world?

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Alrgiht, this is going to sound awful: Wow, this is hilarious! The layers of irony and black humor are just piled atop of each other. Brilliant, funny, tragic. Plain awesome...

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
icyneesan said:
Im not sure what is boggling my mind more right now, this, or the story about teens getting drunk off of vodka soaked tampons.

Wait wait wait. Teens are doing what now? When the hell did this start?

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
icyneesan said:

Wait wait wait. Teens are doing what now? When the hell did this start?
That's old. To my recollection I heard about that back in my college days in the late 90's.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Who the hell would defend this man? HE TOOK A FUCKING HOSTAGE. Without a doubt there is nothing to defend.

And he bragged about it on Facebook? Seriously? Blimey there are a lot of idiots in the world. And yes, the people who told him where the police were should be charged, as they were aiding a criminal.

Seriously. What. The. Fuck.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
How could the family support him? A crap load of his comments are "I hope for your safety, and everyone's praying for you.", except in terrible grammar. Actually the grammar is the worst part, I'm not going to call out their misuse of religion.