Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Pebkio said:
MrBaskerville said:
He isn't being rewarded, he payed 735$ for a videogame console that costs 500$...
And for the last time, stop thinking of "America" as "The Rest of the World". In America, it costs $500. In Great Britain, it costs £430. That is equivalent to around $700. He overpaid a bit, sure, but not in the amount you're joking about.

This is what I railed against last time, but I'm going to be nicer this time. You making fun of someone in the UK paying that much comes off as entitled, naive, and a bit of a dick move. It's an American company charging the rest of the world a lot more, and here you are... obviously American because it doesn't cost the equivalent of $500 anywhere else... here you are insulting people for paying that much.

It's what they're charged. So stop insulting them.
Hey the title said he paid in dollars so i assumed he was American, and in America he overpaid if he paid that much (according to google). And stop assuming i'm American :p.

But i missed the part about the refund, so he really is being rewarded for stupidity afterall^^.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I guess he presented himself as a relatively inexpensive marketing opportunity and so the company views this as sheap marketing for themselves. It's strange. I'd rather see the XBO given to a poor family who didn't have the money to get one to begin with but I guess those families aren't in the media limelight. So I guess the next best thing is a guy that got duped and was given the money back already...

I suppose I don't personally care, what is one person's gain to my non-loss/non-gain? Doesn't impact me any.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
I need to find me an Xbox one scam on Ebay and follow suit! Or a PS4 one, I'm not picky about receiving either free console for my carelessness.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
So a complete twat falls for an obvious eBay con, seriously putting something in the wrong category happens all the time, so much so that eBay doesn't even seem that bothered by it. You always check the description, he does that, gets the truth that it is in fact just a picture but since this one is inevitably cheaper (hey, not everyone who is looking for an Xbone is dumb enough to bid on a picture) he bids anyway and just hopes for the best. I wonder if he was also just hoping for the best when at fifteen when he started getting on without a rubber...

Next he gets his photo, which he legitimately deserved, I'll give him that and instead of framing it, taking this as a lesson, he cries as loud and as hard as he can for help, like a child, not like a father. He makes up a fake story about how he was buying this console for his four year old son, that his parents take care of, because he is too embarrassed to admit that despite being completely socially irresponsible, he still feels he has the right to waste money. He gets enough coverage to where Paypal says 'oh shit' and feels they have to pay him back, screwing the con artist who essentially followed all the rule when it comes to playing people (seriously if you openly state your intentions, I have no problem with you trying to make a somewhat dishonest buck, it sends a good message that people need to be careful in all transactions, that's just me though).

So then we can maybe rest with the idea that he learned something, not much after all since his complaining refunded his money. Until some shitty little, exposure seeking store decides to give him a free console for nothing more than being an idiot. Good people do good things and get nothing, that's expected, you don't do something for recognition. Idiots act like idiots and find gifts waiting for them, that's not acceptable.

I'm not totally sure why this story has struck such a nerve in me but I plan on reflecting on that fact, if you completely disagree and think this teenager somehow deserved the free system that's fine but I dislike the argument that thinking he doesn't automatically deserve one just means your a jealous sociopath who probably likes PS4, which seems to the basic prevailing rational. One last important thing to note is that, his face has been shown to the public on a few occasions now, I checked out some of the articles out of the UK, looked at the comments and remembered that if there is one group of people who are going to be even more mad that this guy's stupidity got rewarded, it's british teenagers. This guy is going to have people taking the piss out of him for a long time to come, so maybe he will learn something after all.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
...Well NOW we have a problem here. A person was an idiot, he cried about being an idiot, he was rewarded for being an idiot by not ONLY getting his money back... But also getting rewarded again by getting what he wanted for free.

He is now as much of a douchebag as the guy who put up the photo and, I'm gonna play conspiracy theorist here, I'm beginning to wonder if the eBay seller and him are the same person.

And I bet that money he got back will continue to be wasted and blown on irrelevant pointless things rather than bettering that kids future.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I think he should have learned to wear a condom so that he did not get someone pregnant when he was 14.
I think that 4 year olds should not be exposed to mainstream gaming.
I think he does not present the characteristics of someone who learns a lesson

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Kyogissun said:
He is now as much of a douchebag as the guy who put up the photo and, I'm gonna play conspiracy theorist here, I'm beginning to wonder if the eBay seller and him are the same person.
Oh shit... so, he pays himself £450... then gets a refund from Ebay (and not from himself) effectively doubling his money. AND THEN... CeX gives him an Xbox One for free.

Now watch it turn out that he's actually sold the free one because he already had one. In the guise of "The Interent was totally right about exposing my 4-year-old to this level of gaming". Then the investigation turns out that he made Ebay double his money for nothing. Now that would be a great story. Full of lulz.

...probably not true though.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
This really just takes the biscuit. This moron pays £450 for a photo of an XBone, knowing fine well that's what he'd be getting, wines like a baby when he gets what he paid for, receives a full refund and then receives an Xbox One for free!?

Good lord, what is wrong with our society?

The only hope I can take from this is that this guy is also thick enough to try the backwards compatibility trick and ends up bricking it.

What a valuable lesson this will be to teach his 4 year old son. Don't bother with something as bothersome as honest, hard work, just act like an idiot and then squeal about and you'll get what you want.

Also, I would have thought The Escapist would have been above reporting on this tabloid level drivel. What is this, The Daily Record? The Metro, God forbid?

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
One thing a lot of people seem to be missing is that this might have actually been a calculative move on his part.

This is how I view the series of events:

Hey look so guy fucked up on the description of this XBone. If I bid on this I'll either get it on the cheap or eBay will refund my money. Worth a try right?

Aww, it's not real, at least eBay will refund me my money. Hey what if I told the Sun about this I'd get loads of free publicity!

Woo free console.

If not the guy is both extremely lucky and extremely stupid.

As for those who appear to be having a go at those who don't get people's anger towards this bloke:

'Stupidity' here was rewarded while intelligent people get scammed and suffer. If you've ever been scammed it's a hellofalot easier to be angry at him. Most feel it's unfair.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Pebkio said:
Kyogissun said:
Oh shit... so, he pays himself £450... then gets a refund from Ebay (and not from himself) effectively doubling his money. AND THEN... CeX gives him an Xbox One for free.

Now watch it turn out that he's actually sold the free one because he already had one. In the guise of "The Interent was totally right about exposing my 4-year-old to this level of gaming". Then the investigation turns out that he made Ebay double his money for nothing. Now that would be a great story. Full of lulz.

...probably not true though.
Yeah, it probably isn't. Guy doesn't seem smart enough to put together a scam like that.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
So all the work and effort I have put towards being cynical, careful, investigative, educated is for nothing. I can't get even a job and idiots like these gets free stuff?
WHY SHOULD I BE SMART?! Other than scam and enforce my will over people via the method of manipulation - which I dislike for being honest! WHY!!! I should do some kind of brutal lobotomy then I would apparently be happier.

heroicbob

Aug 25, 2010
this is such an old trick back when the original xbox launched there was a story of someone selling an xbox box on my country's version of ebay for the price of the console.

i don't care whether or not its the truth that he was buying the console for his kid a four year old wouldn't know how to play any games on it, I know this because i tried to show my nephew how to play a racing game, he desperately wanted to play but couldn't grasp the concept of turning and accelerating at the same time

i guess now that that guy has his xbox one and his money he might want to get the ps4 too, get your cameras ready!

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I like how in the picture in the article, the other guy (who I assume is the store manager or something) has this "Oh god why am I doing this?" look on his face.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Clive Howlitzer said:
Everyone is so negative. Yeah he was a moron, and didn't really deserve it. Come on, though, if that happened to you, wouldn't you be pumped? Just be happy for the guy and move on!
If I somehow had a lobotomy and was that stupid, I still would be far too ashamed to seek out publicity for my blatant mistake.

At any rate, rooting for the idiot to win is more than I'm capable of. But I'll move on after posting this $.02 because that's how the internet works.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Everyone needs to calm down. Positive reinforcement has 1/5th of the decision weight that that loss aversion has. No one should be upset that he is going to make the same or worse mistakes in the future. Also... shut the fuck up with ragging on the guy. We should all be so lucky that we have some sort of windfall of good when we make a mistake. Get over yourselves, everyone makes mistakes.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Making my addition to the brewing of more Hate-orade. This is just stupid.

It's great for the "victim," but getting his money back should have been enough. Now he is being rewarded too?

It's like someone spilling hot coffee on themselves and then suing McDonald's...oh wait, that happened. In our currently litigation happy society, I suppose crap like this can also happen.

So now M$ gets to milk this lucky sod for positive PR...bravo...

I went through 3 faulty 360's...where's my free XBONE?!?!

to quote Boogie2988: "sons of $%#$%@%!"

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
IAmTheToaster said:
Ridiculous. This idiot is an idiot who made an idiotic decision and has been rewarded by a clever marketing scheme.

But on a more serious note, he should not have been rewarded for this. He should have learned the "always read the description" lesson. He already got his refund via PayPal and so could have bought another console as soon as one was available, having thoroughly checked the legitimacy.

What offends me more about this whole story is that he claims he's buying an Xbone for a four year old. Can we all recognize that he's a 19 year old teenager. Call me a cynic, but he's buying the console for himself. Not to plug Nintendo, but surely one would buy a Nintendo console for a small child?
The better question is, why does a nineteen year old have ANY CHILD AT ALL, let alone a four year old?

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
The first story was ebay doing the right thing in light of what what probably a setup to get attention.

Now this... this is making me sad for the holiday season.