Manly Tears

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
These stories from an archived /v/ thread titled "Emotional Vidya stories":
My dad and I used to play Super Black Bass Fishing on the SNES when I was younger. I hated the damn game, because I hated fishing and the outdoors in general, but it was the only game he could really get into.

We used to have Saturday "fishing trips" where we'd lock ourselves in the den, make sure my mom and sister left us the fuck alone, and we'd play this game. I slowly started to enjoy it, because it's impossible to be mad at anything when you and your dad are drinking pop and beer (respectively), eating chips, swapping stories and the controller, and having fun.

My dad was more like a bro than a dad. He'd encourage me if I needed encouragement, put me in my place if I was a ****, and always had my back. As I grew older, I'd come home heartbroken from being dumped, and he'd tell me stories of some crazy ***** he'd been with in the sixties or whatever, and always make me feel better. He'd come to the bar with me, sing karaoke with me, and even once punched a guy in the mouth for trying to start a fight with me over, of all things, my t-shirt. That man was so great that, when I was ten, I saw Guns n' Roses in concert in Los Angeles with my cousin. I came home screaming about how I wanted to be Slash because he was so cool and I want to play guitar, so he went and sold one of the rifles my grandfather left him to buy me an electric guitar. I still have it, and when I played onstage for the first time with my guitar instructor in 2001, he was in the audience, crying and telling everyone "that's my boy!". Fuck, I'm tearing up. Back on-topic.

Anyways, he died in 2003, from heart problems. I miss him terribly, and just about a year ago I downloaded the Super Black Bass ROM and resolved to finish it for my pa. We had never beaten it.

I finally did and I don't think I have ever cried so hard in my life. It only took us about thirteen years, but we did it, Dad. I love you man.
Manly tears.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Let's see... Braveheart did it, Futurama's Jurassic Bark of course. And most importantly every Doctor Who season finale apart from the first one.

Kharloth said:
The depressing ending to the calvin and hobbes stories.

Spoilered to prevent accidental uncontrolled crying.
Noooooooo! Hobbes!
This is the saddest moment of my day.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Waltz With Bashir, just because the true event it is based on is horrible and it shows actual news footage of the refugees who were masacred and hte simple act of seeing it on screen and knowing it's real makes it all the more emotional... especially when you see children amoungst the bodies.

Children of Men, toward the end of the film in the big climax the army has been moving through Bex Hill fighting the terrorist Fishes who are leading a refugee uprising when in the middle of it all Theo and Kee are trying to escape with the baby, the first baby born in 18 years.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Inception, the part where Fischer reaches the inner depths of his mind and finds the paper mill thing in his father's safe. No actual tears, but moist eyes for sure.

May 28, 2009
tijuanatim said:
The same thing happened when I saw Up.
That film has to be one of my favourites. The fact Ed Asner is the lead role helps too.

Unless there already is one, a list of films in which the go ahead to shed manly tears is given should be compiled. I'd definitely put Up near the top.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
The only thing that has ever made me cry a manly tear is Clannad After story. Although I came damn close at some points; only when
Ushio cries in Tomoya's arms in the field
was I not able to hold back any more, and a single tear did escape my eye. I fought with all my might, but in the end, Clannad won.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Kharloth said:

Oh my god. You just dug up my childhood and shotgunned it at point blank range. Wow. Seriously. Whoever made that pic just... Wow.

For me though, very little things... Not because I'm macho or anything (believe me, I'm not, nor do I wish to be) I just generally don't visibly show it with things I see in or on movies/books/games/internet. Things that came close were E.T Sad or Love-related Tali scenes in mass effect and The Invention of Lying. Might seem stupid, but that movie surprised me.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
There's a scene in 'the good, the bad and the ugly" which I cried at. Considering the fact that it's a manly western and the scene entailed a guy named Tuco being beaten in interrogation by Angel Eyes it's pretty amazing that they managed to pull it off, not to mention the fact that that setup makes them "Manly tears".

Still, I live in an area called Manly, so perhaps every time it rains?

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Kharloth said:

That's not the real ending!

You're a cruel, cruel man...

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Jamiemitsu said:
The ending of Metal Gear Solid 3, 4, and Peace Walker.
MGS3 was a sad ending.

The ending to MGS4 when Sunny asks where Snake is, is fucking tragic.

KjellKanon

Aug 6, 2009
As for games:
The ending of Metal Gear Solid 4!
Several key plot elements in Valkyria Chronicles.

Anime:
The ending of Full Moon wo Sagashite

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I usually don't cry manly tears, it's more like a breaking dam when I cry. One of the few instances of manly tears I can remember would be at the end of Braveheart, though.

Stoic raptor

Jul 19, 2009
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
WhoaItsBrett said:
The last time I cried manly tears was when I saw Toy Story 3.
It was a great movie, but had a lot of depressing moments.
This

I mean me and my friends had manly tears. It s just we grew up with Toy Story, and they this was the end . But a fitting end none the less.

Kharloth said:

was.....was that really the ending to Calvin and Hobbes? If so thats....thats terrible. Why would that happen. WHY!!!
That isnt it. The real ending is when there are out sledding and they realize they will have many more adventures in the future. Not going to look it up though.
Hazy said:
These stories from an archived /v/ thread:
That is sad.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
Kharloth said:

Sorry, but you had the wrong picture. Let me fix that for ya
Calvin and Hobbes has gotten me closer to manly tears than anything else.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
No such thing as manly tears.

Seymour nooo waaaa-hahaa, it's just so sad.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
The Ending of Synecdoche, New York is the most recent thing to me.

It is the realization of life through the movie that made me shed a manly tear... that or his daughter dying, I don't really know.

I don't know about manly tears otherwise, but I heard that musical number from Hello Dolly! that played in Wall-E, "It only takes a moment". I just listened to the song by itself and all I could do was cry.

So unfairly, when I rent it from Netflix, I imagine I'm going to cry when it gets to that scene.

I can't tell if that's manly tears or not, but it's the most recent time I can recall shedding a tear.