Manly Tears

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
The Okami ending.

The beginning montage (just after the opening) and the ending of Toy Story 3.

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
Dectomax said:
The end to "Big Fish". That was one of the few times I've ever actually been moved by a film.

Definitely this. There aren't too many films that can move me to tears, but this one always gets to me.

KiruTheMant

Nov 2, 2009
The End of Eureka 7,Piloting a giant robot through a biotic fortress to save your not human girlfriend and leaving your kids behind?Manly.

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
Hazy said:
These stories from an archived /v/ thread:
My dad and I used to play Super Black Bass Fishing on the SNES when I was younger. I hated the damn game, because I hated fishing and the outdoors in general, but it was the only game he could really get into.

We used to have Saturday "fishing trips" where we'd lock ourselves in the den, make sure my mom and sister left us the fuck alone, and we'd play this game. I slowly started to enjoy it, because it's impossible to be mad at anything when you and your dad are drinking pop and beer (respectively), eating chips, swapping stories and the controller, and having fun.

My dad was more like a bro than a dad. He'd encourage me if I needed encouragement, put me in my place if I was a ****, and always had my back. As I grew older, I'd come home heartbroken from being dumped, and he'd tell me stories of some crazy ***** he'd been with in the sixties or whatever, and always make me feel better. He'd come to the bar with me, sing karaoke with me, and even once punched a guy in the mouth for trying to start a fight with me over, of all things, my t-shirt. That man was so great that, when I was ten, I saw Guns n' Roses in concert in Los Angeles with my cousin. I came home screaming about how I wanted to be Slash because he was so cool and I want to play guitar, so he went and sold one of the rifles my grandfather left him to buy me an electric guitar. I still have it, and when I played onstage for the first time with my guitar instructor in 2001, he was in the audience, crying and telling everyone "that's my boy!". Fuck, I'm tearing up. Back on-topic.

Anyways, he died in 2003, from heart problems. I miss him terribly, and just about a year ago I downloaded the Super Black Bass ROM and resolved to finish it for my pa. We had never beaten it.

I finally did and I don't think I have ever cried so hard in my life. It only took us about thirteen years, but we did it, Dad. I love you man.
Manly tears.
Thouse are the most depressing stories I have even seen. I think this brakes into the realm of baby tears after the half life story.

OT, Even though I am a woman and do not get to have the Manly tears power. But the closest thing i can think of to manly tears I had was in Dark cloud 2 when they tell you Gaspards back story.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Kharloth said:
The depressing ending to the calvin and hobbes stories.

Spoilered to prevent accidental uncontrolled crying.
Looks Shop'd.

On-topic, I've been conditioned by years of emotional and physical abuse, a steady stream of high-powered perscription drugs, pointless psychotherapy, accidentally viewing The Power 5 when I was 12, and George Lucas films so that I never ever cry ever. The closest I get is an odd tingling sensation down my spine that curiously stops at the base of my skull. Things that can induce this sensation include:

The ending to HALO 3, any scene from The Dark Knight, the finale to the V For Vendetta movie, the "Revenge" ending in Grand Theft Auto IV, the montage at the beginning pretty much every frikkin' part of Up!,the destruction of the Normandy SR1, and the sight of a dying kitten.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
The Green Mile does it every time, along with Man On Fire. The Last Samurai & Blood Diamond have in the past as well. And the first time seeing Return of the King had me struggling to hold them back. There's actually quite a few films that make me very sad at the end: Eastwood one's like Iwo Jima, Million Dollar Baby and Gran Torino do; Miyazaki one's do as they're just so happy (normally); I'll also count the end of Cowboy Bebop.

For games, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is the only one which has made me tear up.

Okuu_Fusion

Jul 14, 2010
Manly tears...?

I guess I cried some manly tears while watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann...

And although not "manly tears", Clannad got me... real good...

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
HT_Black said:
Kharloth said:
The depressing ending to the calvin and hobbes stories.

Spoilered to prevent accidental uncontrolled crying.
Looks Shop'd.
It is, but there's a happy ending

why the hell does my pictures never work?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Final Fantasy 10 ending!

Oh manly tears...

Ummm... running out of Gatorade?
Crying over being removed of a sports drink is manly? o_O

Manly tears ... I would say the loss of your sargeant after he saves your life ... that would be manly tears. But in the end, in my experience men cry more than women, and over stupid shit like sports.

I mean you see women cry when their very integrity is shattered by a malicious ***** ... and you see men cry over a 0-1 loss to a hated rival in football.

Perhaps the term of 'man up' should be a term used to ask someone to display over-sensitivity.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
The ending to Sourcery and Reaper man although that was more tearing up than actual crying

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, multiple spots...
In episode 8 near the end, where Kamina...
...dies
In the last third of episode 25, when Kittan...
...sacrifices himself so the rest escape the trap
In episode 26 at the very end, when Nia...
...resists the Spiral and serves as a beacon for Simon to materialize
(and the stuff just before that)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Grayjack said:
Hateren47 said:
No such thing as manly tears.

Seymour nooo waaaa-hahaa, it's just so sad.
Definitely this. I saw it a few years ago, and it was the last time I really cried.
Damn it that was so damn sad... part of me died watching it.

Saving Private Ryan
Forrest Gump
Toy Story 3

Band Of Brothers Ending. Watching them play Baseball...

Notice a pattern with all these films/mini-series?

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Nouw said:
Grayjack said:
Hateren47 said:

Definitely this. I saw it a few years ago, and it was the last time I really cried.
Damn it that was so damn sad... part of me died watching it.

Saving Private Ryan
Forrest Gump
Toy Story 3

Band Of Brothers Ending. Watching them play Baseball...

Notice a pattern with all these films/mini-series?
I just found out that that episode was based on a real dog named Hachiko. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachik%C5%8D]

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
WhoaItsBrett said:
The last time I cried manly tears was when I saw Toy Story 3.
It was a great movie, but had a lot of depressing moments.
Same here, lucky for me the theater was completely empty except for me (was like a 10:30 showing) so I didn't hold back...

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Hallow said:
why the hell does my pictures never work?
You were linking to google image search and not the actual image. Go to the site, find the image,
a)right click select show image and copy the URL
b)right click and select copy image address, if possible.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Hateren47 said:

That Futurama reference is the bawwwwwwww thread tactical nuke. No one survives it.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
The scene of Bablyon5 when the station explodes at the end. The music and the visuals combined just tear at my heart.

Whenever one of my cats dies.

Several other thing I can't remember.

Buck Wilde

Jul 15, 2009
KarumaK said:
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War

If you played it... you know when, *sniffle* YOU FUCKING KNOW!

*Breaks down crying*
Good man, I was sad didn't cry though. Don't think a game has made me yet but Red Dead Redemption made me sad when

John Marston gets killed at the end :( kinda knew that might be how it would end but didn't want to believe it