March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

crazy_egyptian

Dec 2, 2010
Well congratulations to the winners of prizes and to Mojang, I was scared for you in a couple of those matchups

Auxiliary

Feb 20, 2011
With the huge amount of pc gamers here, I figured it would be Valve or Blizzard. I was quite shocked to see Mojang win while they have only released one game that is barely in beta and gets very bad support from the creator. I am not saying Mojang made a lousy game, but the support now that the game has grown so huge is quite lacking.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
endnuen said:
I have a hard time taking this community seriously any more..
But well played to Mojang I guess..
I share this feeling. I'm starting to think maybe all of the hardcore gamers visiting this site are really soccer moms in disguise! XD

It's hard - no, impossible - for me to congratulate Mojang. They do not deserve this accolade. Stupid popularity contests. *shakes fist*

I'm going to "celebrate" this win by playing Mass Effect 2 this weekend for 48 hrs straight, pausing only to pass out in my own drool.

Wapox

Feb 4, 2010
Well done Mojang. I myself have not tried Minecraft, which is the reason why I did not vote for Mojang, but.. well done. Seems like Minecraft is something I should try then :)

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
What happened here was Mojang's loyal following was trying to appease the creepers in game by giving them first place... Silly people Creepers will only destroy this award and then the rest of your hard work.

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
You people voted for a developer with an un-finished title where their whole game is about GRINDING for NO REASON AT ALL for NO REASON AT ALL, against any number of titles with an epic story, gameplay, combat, characters or genre.

*Sigh*

Any other developer with 'completed' titles should have won. Nevermind.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Andronicus said:
Until Notch composes or licenses some kind of victory fanfare, this will have to do.

Besides, I'd like to think that Nobuo Uematsu would be happy to lend his music to such a worthy title, regardless of where it was from first. Still, that's just me.

Square has some making up to do for FFXIII.
Square Enix would never approve of this, they're a large company that have made many very expensive, high quality games and yet they've lost to a guy in his basement somewhere who made a game that cost maybe a few hundred pounds and looks pretty terrible.

Pebkac

May 1, 2009
Sour grapes are still sour.

Congrats to Mojang, they deserve it!

Best game developer in the universe.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
So much rage over what is basically a poll. It's not like people on the Escapist sat down for several days and said "We've put lots of thought into it, we've scored and ranked contestants on numerous indicators of quality as a developer, and the winner is ____".

I have to say I find this result deliciously poetic, as the other night I got so fed up with Dragon Age II's annoying mechanic of spawning more mobs halfway through every single fight that I gave up and went back to Minecraft. Now my new world is gaining a Barbary Pirate palace on a coastal clifftop. For an unfinished game, Minecraft sure as hell keeps me satisfied.

aidutcher

Dec 11, 2010
I know this thread doesn't contain everyone on the Escapist, but with so many people unhappy about the outcome I'm starting to wonder who actually voted for Mojang...

Bigsmith

Mar 16, 2009
Stubee said:
I had to look up wtf Mojang was. This is like the L-block from tetris winning the character battle on Gfaqs. Makes the whole competition a complete waste of everyones time.

Obviously for all intents and purposes (for which there are few im sure) Bioware is the winner.
Since you haven't played minecraft, I'm assuming as you had to look up Mojang, then you can't really have much of a valid view of the game and game Devs.

LawlessSquirrel said:
Revolutionise industry: 3rd place.
Don't have a finished game: 1st place.

Well damn, I know where my career goals lie.

...strongly, strongly disagree with the verdict. But I suppose the people have spoken.
Personaly, I don't think Valve have done anything revolutionary for quite some time. Again, the time valve takes to get games out effects them again.

Ot: Mojang won, awesome... I would have probably gotten a full bracket if it had BLOODY LET ME MAKE ONE :/

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
I'm a little disappointed that awards are given to the members who guessed closest to the final vote. To me, that would encourage voting for the contenders that you think will win as opposed to the ones you personally think are actually best. Not for all voters, obviously, but certainly for enough that it will skew the results.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Phoenixlight said:
Andronicus said:
Until Notch composes or licenses some kind of victory fanfare, this will have to do.

Besides, I'd like to think that Nobuo Uematsu would be happy to lend his music to such a worthy title, regardless of where it was from first. Still, that's just me.

Square has some making up to do for FFXIII.
Square Enix would never approve of this, they're a large company that have made many very expensive, high quality games and yet they've lost to a guy in his basement somewhere who made a game that cost maybe a few hundred pounds and looks pretty terrible.

Yes because that one game is better then anything Square released in the past year.

FFXIV was a complete bomb.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Hey! Thermis Towers! You've done a shoddy job at plugging that QQ leak! Go fix it before the forums are flooded, again.

adamtm

Aug 22, 2010
rofl

wait what?

herpa derp? duuuuuurrrrrr

Yes this is most likely deserved for a developer that has not developed anything yet.

Man, could have given it to Wolfire, they at least are posting weekly updates on their game.

again.

rofl, seriously

LK9988

Jan 3, 2011
Well, even though I would have preferred Valve to win (Yes, I'm not very creative at this XD) my congrats go to Mojang anyway.