March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
iplaydabass said:
Really? really? Mojang doesn't hold a candle to Bioware. Minecraft...So a one hit wonder game that isn't finished.....beat out Bioware, who have finished numerous amazing games and while constantly improving themselves are taking games in a forward direction. I for one declare Shenanigans. This is the equivalent of Rebecca Black beating out Ludwig Van Beethoven for best Symphony.
Considering that if said symphony contest was using the same rules as MM (I.E. Going by what they did in the last year) Then yes, she would win because Beethoven was too busy being dead.

This is what people seem to forget about March Mayhem. It's about what they've done recently. Yeah Bioware released Mass Effect 2 and if it did JUST that, it would of won no doubt. But because so many people hated Dragon Age 2, they turned to Mojang even if they never played Minecraft.

Anywhoozers, congrats Mojang and good luck next year....All hail Valve!

Mar 26, 2008
Obviously a track record of creating brilliant games (some not so good though) and having 2010's Game Of The Year don't count for much around here. Especially when all that good will can be undone by one average game.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Ha! Ever since they beat Nintendo I thought to myself "well, there goes my bracket!". Like I said in a different thread: Mojang deserves to win only because they arguably made the best (and I say this VERY loosely) "game" this year. They are not the best developer and if they do believe that then seriously need to play another game.

Wrds

Dyslexic Wonder
Sep 4, 2008
Denamic said:
Wrds said:
I guess we know how to win a popularity contest now. Charge for beta + never release = lower expectations & huge profit.
Not quite.
It's a closed beta you get access to when you pre-order.
And how exactly does paying to get into beta and never releasing mean huge profit?
Notch simply struck gold, or perhaps diamond in this case, and gave consumers something they didn't even know they wanted.
I like minecraft as much as the next guy but this is just disappointing.
I can almost see the love oozing.

Seriously, why the hell do you people throw so much hate on notch and Mojang lately?
He made Minecraft, started pre-orders, and everything was fine.
Then Minecraft got really popular, and suddenly notch gets all kinds of retarded flack.
Sure, the tits complaining about not getting much new content and updates that fast I can understand.
They're just morons that doesn't understand that they're working on the framework around Minecraft.
Basically remaking the entire game to make it run better, be more compatible, be less erratic internally and more mod friendly, etc.
But the attitude that notch doesn't deserve his time in the spotlight is just stupid.
He's not Justin Beiber.
Wow, vexed much?

Regardless of what your point is, you have no right to attach "you people" to something a person who obviously hardly ever posts says.
I do like minecraft, its a great concept that satisfies a craving that most people have early in life. However the studio specifically hasn't done a whole lot worth praise other than a decent idea, and its specifically because of the popularity its garnered. I don't hate mojang at all, there's just no way they're the best studio this year.

On a side note they've obviously gotten a lot more love than hate considering the outcome of this contest. Don't let something that some random jack off like me says get under your skin so bad.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Wow... the flame wars are still going on. *sits back down and picks popcorn back up*

Hurray for post-credits entertainment!

Goremocker

Lost in Time
May 20, 2009
Well, you give credit when credit is due... I wish VALVe could have pulled it out and went head to head with Bioware again, but... New year, new winner. Congratulations Minecraft fans. You earned it.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
damn......laaame
majong shouldn't have won but yay congrats lol
man I was doing well too, but then bombed down to 34th place
oh weeellll

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
I came to this site too late! Glad Majong won, made a simple but fun ass game. And I'm a bit happy to see Bioware lose. DA2 such a horrible game..

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
DA:2 sucking as hard as it did really blew Bioware's shot at winning this year. Mojang is nice and all, but I'd prefer Bethesda winning. Bioware stopped being good once Kotor was out.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
YES! I may have got one side wrong (I tipped Bungie/Blizzard vs. Mojang..) but i DID tip Mojang to win! A lot of my earlier picks were out in the first rounds but Blizzard, Mojang, Valve and SquareEnix stuck through it pretty well until the final few rounds.

Congrats Notch and everyone at Mojang! I don't even play Minecraft (yet), but thanks to the folks at LoadingReadyRun and a certain local circle of friends where I live.. It's sure to happen eventually. I just don't see myself sitting there crafting stuff any time soon. Great game though!

EDIT: Note, I've also never played Dragon Age: Origins OR Mass Effect and HATED the Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 demos. I do NOT like that style of game at all. I actually tipped BioWare to be out very early on. I don't much care for their games except maybe their Star Wars stuff, etc.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
MattAn24 said:
YES! I may have got one side wrong (I tipped Bungie/Blizzard vs. Mojang..) but i DID tip Mojang to win! A lot of my earlier picks were out in the first rounds but Blizzard, Mojang, Valve and SquareEnix stuck through it pretty well until the final few rounds.

Congrats Notch and everyone at Mojang! I don't even play Minecraft (yet), but thanks to the folks at LoadingReadyRun and a certain local circle of friends where I live.. It's sure to happen eventually. I just don't see myself sitting there crafting stuff any time soon. Great game though!

EDIT: Note, I've also never played Dragon Age: Origins OR Mass Effect and HATED the Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2 demos. I do NOT like that style of game at all. I actually tipped BioWare to be out very early on. I don't much care for their games except maybe their Star Wars stuff, etc.
Have you gotten tiur badge tet?

I also had Blizz vs Mojang in the finals, with Mojang as winners.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
fenrizz said:
Have you gotten tiur badge tet?

I also had Blizz vs Mojang in the finals, with Mojang as winners.
A valid (kinda) question, good sir! I have not.. I think I had my Final Four as SquareEnix (or Blizzard), Valve, Bungie and Mojang.. I think Bungie vs. Mojang in the final. Pretty much only because of Halo: Reach and Bungie's big final hurrah for the series.

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
TestECull said:
I call bullshit on this. How the hell can a half-finished game that would embarrass 2001 beat PC Gaming's best hope for survival?!
Um.. Ever thought because Minecraft was made by ONE GUY. One. Guy. And it's a smash hit success that isn't even FINISHED yet. It's certainly not an embarrassment to 2001 either. A game doesn't have to be OMGLOOKATTHOSESHINYFUCKINGGRAPHICSMAAAAAN to be a GOOD game.

People can play Minecraft any damn way they want. They can do WHATEVER they want with the tools provided to them. Hell, I don't play Minecraft but I damn well have respect for someone who can single-handedly create something that isn't fully complete and still make it fun for many, many people.

Here's an idea, YOU DO IT. Go on. I'll give you one week. Make a randomly-generated multiplayer game where you can make whatever you want in it and make it BETTER than Minecraft.

kache

Oct 7, 2010
Congrats to Mojang.
I would have liked to see Bioware win, but anyway. It still got second, so np. :D