March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I've gotten SOOO much more fun out of Bioware Games and think they are far superior. I played Minecraft and found it boring x_x

However, I'm glad Mojang won. The fact that Minecraft swayed this many people without even having a released game is impressive, and it's shear originality is commendable.

That doesn't mean Mojang are the best anything ever. That's not what MM signifies, surely...

Anywho, guess we're all Notch's bitches now =/ In all fairness, Bioware hardly needs the advertising contract.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
A company yet to release a full game won, beating companies like Nintendo, Valve and BioWare.

I have no words.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Was really rooting for Blizzard this year with Starcraft II and Cataclysm but Minecraft is pretty fun too I guess. Congrats to Mojang, just hope they'll be releasing a full game soon and get us out of beta...

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
Wow, just wow. A developer with only one unfinished craptastic game beat out so many good developers. I'm really hoping this is just a dream, and when I wake up I'll see that Mojang lost in the first round like they were supposed to. If not, well then the casual video game audience has officially surpassed the amazing tribe that is regular video game players, and that makes the weird half naked Indian cry. Now if only I could find that old commercial to place here...

But I'll still say congrats to Mojang, cause A) I'm still respectful even if I hate the outcome, and B) they deserve a congratulations for having successfully gained the power of mind control, as thats the only way I see it possible for so many people to be so enthralled with Minecraft.

SM sneaky ninja

Aug 2, 2010
Minecraft for the win!!! I gotta say, it's really impressive that a small, indie game company without much of a resume can knock the socks off a giant like BioWare. Don't get me wrong, I love BioWare, they've released some excellent games the last few years and I'm really excited for more (I've already finished DA2 and just itching for DA3). But Minecraft seems like it's the perfect formula that has brought out an old style of gaming, turned it on its head, and then exploded it all over the gaming community, like the perfect nerd money-shot. Congrats Mojang!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
It's been a great MM and I've been honored to be an ambassador for it!
Thanks to everyone that worked on it, thanks to my fellow ambassadors and congratulations to the winner, Mojäng!!

Hopefully the next one will be just as good!

Maphysto

Dec 11, 2010
I predict it's gonna take awhile for the rage to die down from this one. A lotta butthurt fanboys on these here forums.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
I'm glad that Mojang won this contest, to me playing it has been the most fun that I've had playing a video game in years. But that is not to say that I automatically hate Bioware, Valve, etc. Quite the opposite actually. Bioware is the best at RPG's in my opinion, and what Valve has done with Steam and their games is great for the industry as well.

But my reason for picking MC even if it isn't finished is because of how different it is in an industry where let's face it pretty much every game made is very similar to another in it's genre, portal standing out as a very good exception. Bioware makes excellent RPGs, I loved DA 1 and only heard good things about Mass Effect, but here is the point I get hung up on, DA and ME while great are still RPG's on rails to a wide scope yes, but there is a fixed plot that you will eventually complete, just like every other RPG made. Even taking Oblivion into account, it's a sandbox, but it's an empty sandbox where nothing that you do unless you're using an editor actually changes the world. The plot goes on, you have your little side quests but in effect the world at the end will always be pretty much the same regardless of your choices in it.

Which brings me back to MC, it's completely open ended, a lot of people on the forums have used it's lack of story as a negative, to me that's the biggest positive about it. Playing the game isn't some writers story, it's MY story, and when done with friends it's even better. Additionally I like the game play of it, the randomly generated world means that I never know what is down in the mines guarding those diamonds and I never know from where they're going to attck. And in the end since the method for how I find and obtain those diamonds is only limted by my own imagination (do I rush in and toss some torches killing mobs, or do I mine through another wall and pick them off, or do I just pour lava into the room killng everything...) So to me the gameplay was fresh enough that I'm always having to think about solutions to new problems.

And finally part of my vote is based on the potential of what MC could bring to the industry. I dream that one day I'll get to play a proceedurally generated world and preceedurally generated story, so that the experience is unpredictable and always unique. Exploring the randomly generated worlds that MC creates is a lot of fun to me, now add in randomly generated towns, NPC's, quests, treasures, etc... And you have a fully realized RPG world that lives and breathes, and with mods it's almost a reality.

Taking it one step further, I hope that companies like Bioware look at the reason why MC has become such a sensation and draw that into their designs. I can only imagine the type of game that Bioware or Bethseda could make with their experience, writing, and developer money to a concept like Minecraft.

AAA developers can't innovate in a true sense because of the financial risk that it presents to develop a new concept. Instead they refine and make awesome what someone did before them, heck look at WoW, love it or hate it, it redefined what an MMO is by taking what previous MMO's were and elevated it to a whole new level. Mojang "developed" a new idea or at least a fresh idea that has created an undeniable buzz (love it or hate it). They demonstrated that there is a market for something different and if any AAA developers decide to incorporate what makes MC such a hit into their games, then I ask who is the best developer?

tldr: MC is fun and I feel innovative, that doesn't mean I hate Vavle or Bioware, they are great too, I see potential that MC can make the AAA RPG's of the future even better.

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Since I'm used to GFAQs polls, I did not expect something like this, also didn't expect Lionhead studios to beat platinum games, comon guys.

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
hmm i still think bioware should have won it but i suppose im in the minority :p well done mojang

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Megacherv said:
Click this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/members/Magic-The-Gathering]

Now that all this nonsense is over I can see if I win a fancy laptop which is the only reason I used that infernal twitter.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Mortuorum said:
I'm a little disappointed that awards are given to the members who guessed closest to the final vote. To me, that would encourage voting for the contenders that you think will win as opposed to the ones you personally think are actually best. Not for all voters, obviously, but certainly for enough that it will skew the results.
Giving away Pub Club memberships are not going to sway a vote. This is why the laptops had nothing to do with the brackets anyone filled out.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Sgt. Dante said:
I seriously, totally, cannot believe Mojang won, basically ruined my bracket xD.
It sure did. Heck, I didn't even know what Mojang was...or did! I'm just finding out right now that they're the creators of Minecraft (Another game I've heard very little about).

I don't know. I mean, it's fair that the underdog wins so that they can taste victory at least once but it doesn't seem fair to other developers. For example, Valve and Bungie. Now, I really don't like Halo and I hated Team Fortress. Portal and Half Life are okay. Never really played Left 4 Dead cause I don't have a Xbox...anywho! Despite that, you gotta admit they've been more successful as developers than Mojang, let's say. Everyone knows who Bungie and Valve are! Not only that but they've had a series of successful games (Not to be confused with great games; again, Halo). Now, I'll admit Nintendo hasn't been shining as bright as it once did, so I won't argue that.
I like to root for the underdog but let's also be fair.

iplaydabass

Mar 17, 2011
Pebkac said:
Sour grapes are still sour.

Congrats to Mojang, they deserve it!

Best game developer in the universe.
You mean a guy who made a game the equivalent of a build your own roller-coaster game with shitty graphics? A game has mostly be modded and improved by people not affiliated with its developer? A developer that hasn't even officially finished that game that he released for beta testing 2 years ago? By the time Mojang does release the final Minecraft product, it will have taken more time than it took Bioware to make Mass Effect 2 and solve the problem of game sequel continuity and create an epic space universe franchise? There should have been two MM contests. One for Indie Games and one for High End developers like Bioware and Valve, so that credit can be given where credit is due. I would have liked to have seen Valve go against Bioware.