March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Feb 9, 2011
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
I am still very annoyed about the result, I honestly would of preferred pretty much anyone else winning. But, lets not get into that. Well done *Grumble* Mojang...
Ditto, heh.

Congratulations to those that predicted correctly. I, for one, did not. XD

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
BoredDragon said:
Was there any doubt that they were going to win once they beat valve? Ok, I'm going to try to restrain myself from re-iterating why I think valve should have beat mojang on the 10th thread about this, but for now congrats mojang.
Considering Bioware beat Blizzard in the semis with more votes than Mojang recieved to beat Valve, I'd say yes, there was a lot of reason to doubt that, if only going by the numbers. There's also the fact that it's Bioware, shame on you escapist, shame on you. *pouts*

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
tautologico said:
Congratulations are in order to Mojang.

(I wonder how much time until this thread turns into a cryfest/flamefest by the same people over and over saying Mojang didn't deserve it and how awful and pointless Minecraft is).
It's neither awful nor pointless, but it is undeserved in the same way that it would be undeserved if Bay12 entered and won the competition. Winning against studios that have been producing absolutely amazing games with just a single (admittedly very good) game that's still in beta just seems ... wrong.

To be honest, I'm just glad it's over. It was quite messy.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I wonder whether Mojang would have won without Notch advertising it. Anyway, Congrats Mojang and to anyone who's upset, it's only a contest, does it really matter who wins this? Everyone has his favorite developer, sure it's nice to see your favorite developer win but in the end it's just a contest and whether it was Mojang, Valve or Bioware doesn't matter, it doesn' stop them from being good developers.

Aug 17, 2009
I just can't wrap my head around how so many people voted for them. I don't care about the little contest, but I still think that their popularity out weighs the quality of their one game.

Giants like Valve, Bioware, Blizzard, and Nintendo should not be considered inferior to others on the basis of one game. And that is what the essence of the contest was, people vote on who they consider to be the best designers in the bracket. It's like if in the wake of The Sixth Sense M. Night Shyamalan was declared to be a better film maker than Steven Spielberg.

It's not that Minecraft isn't good, and since I haven't played it I cannot judge it, it's that everyone it was stacked up against have produced multiple great games.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Well done Mojang, in my opinion you deserve it, for making a wonderful and addicting game with, for the most part, limited resources and only a one man team.

And good luck next year as well Notch and Co.

Anyway, off to play Minecraft, whilst all the haters carry on complaining :)

(although I would have still preferred Bethesda to win)...

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Gratz Winners! You are now winning! enjoy the win! WIN!

Oh, and I honestly didn't see that coming when filling in my bracket. D'oh well.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
How many people submitted a bracket? Or better yet, which rank bracket is the lowest?

I'd like to know how badly I've done with my 97 rank (a rank which is probably populated by a couple of hundred participants itself).

When push comes to shove I always end up orchestrating my dream matchups in the prediction brackets and having my favorite win. Next time I'll have to think more about the power of fanbases and keep my own fandom limited to the actual voting. But even if I took it more seriously I'd probably bet on the wrong (dark) horse.

I make the same mistake with filling out World Cup prediction.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
HK_01 said:
tautologico said:
Congratulations are in order to Mojang.

(I wonder how much time until this thread turns into a cryfest/flamefest by the same people over and over saying Mojang didn't deserve it and how awful and pointless Minecraft is).
It's neither awful nor pointless, but it is undeserved in the same way that it would be undeserved if Bay12 entered and won the competition. Winning against studios that have been producing absolutely amazing games with just a single (admittedly very good) game that's still in beta just seems ... wrong.

To be honest, I'm just glad it's over.
But how do you decide who deserves it? This is pretty subjective. One way to do it is to set up a poll. So people have voted and given the top spot to Mojang. This is as valid as any other criterion, as far as I'm concerned.

(BTW, not a Minecraft player. I just think the criteria people use to say it didn't deserve it, like "they only have one game and it is a beta!", are quite arbitrary).

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
I guess i´ll have to check Minecraft now. But i still think that a company that only produced one unfinished game cannot be better than a developer that brought us kotor, baldurs gate, dragon age and mass effect. But the people chose Mojang...so they are the legitimate winners.

Congrats to them!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
HankMan said:
Better see what all the fuss was about.
*Of to download Minecraft.*
Worgen said:
there is still not reason majong should have beat valve or nintendo
Because no one played Alien Swarm and we're all still sore over Metroid other M? Apparently it's supposed to be about who was best this year, not overall.
With your logic Capcom should have wasted Valve in round 4. It would be nice if everyone would focus on this year, but that just doesnt happen.

Liquid Ocelot

Nov 6, 2010
DragonLord Seth said:
OO-FUCKING-RAH MOTHERFUCKERS!
This is where the fanboys shall both scream for joy and torment!
FUCK YOU BIOWARE FANBOYS! HOW DO YA FEEL NOW BITCHES?
And now that I have THAT out of my system, now to toss in a few more bitchslaps:
OptimisticPessimist said:
Bah, Bioware is still better. *fanboy grumble*
You can say that all you want, but while KOTOR, ME and DA all had stupid amounts of immersion, I actually spent a majority of gameplay in Minecraft actually playing! In DA2 almost all of my time playing was sucking up to my party, being a dickhead at all others except for elves and mages (take a guess why). I actually liked the night parts, because I could actually play.

Liquid Ocelot said:
Absolutely pathetic. Mojang has one average, but addicting sandbox game, and they beat out fantastic developers like Bioware and Square? No. No, should not have been.
No it's not. Minecraft is by far above average. By just tossing players into the wilderness and telling them to fend for theirselves, Notch made a game with literally endless possibility. The random map generator already sealed the "Endless Possibility" deal with making no 2 worlds the same unless you use the same seed. And then toss in the genius fanbase that have made stupidly amazing creations, like giant decorated palaces, working calculators, and massive castles. NOW toss in a dev team who listens to the fans and hunts bugs with a zealous fury, AND keeps working on it to improve the game, you have a game that is mathematically better than any Bioware game. I still base my dislike of Bioware games for their stupid amounts of diolouge.

Mackheath said:
...So a company that hasn't finished a game at all beat companies that have finished about three in the time they haven't even cleaned up theres?

Congrats to them, but to be frank I think that is bullshit.
Pretty much just look at what I replied to the previous fanboy. But I do think that you're better then both of them for at least congrating Mojang, and it's perfectly alright to be frank. Even if you're wrong.

50 bucks says that I'll be issued a warning for flaming.
Haha it's funny because you think having a random generator of a game still in development with mostly user-created content is better than Mass Effect or KOTOR.

DesertMummy

Jan 6, 2011
Me. I Honestly think that Minecraft isn't as exceptional as everyone seems to believe. Personally, I was hoping for Bioware to win.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Bullshit. I cannot believe that pile of shit beat valve, quite possibly the best developer of 2000-2010. A developer who has done more for Pc Gaming than Mojang ever will.

Fucking hipsters.