Marijuana - Advice?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm 21, I've never smoked it and I never will.
Partly because I have heard it can cause mental problems to show themselves and my family has somewhat a history of mental instability.

A lot of people have told me I should be fine with it for a variety of reasons, but I'm not. I wouldn't go out with anyone who smoked it; hell I wont go out with someone who smokes tobacco but thats more of an issue of I dont want to kiss someone who tastes like ashtray.

In short, nothing wrong with not being okay with it.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Nocola said:
This first reply is accurate. There is another take I had on it for a while. I had this bizzare image of unprofessionalism around it. I could not shake that. It was only when I shook that mentality that I could understand the topic. It was a minor issue that made me uncumfortable with the idea of ME using it. Friends used it, actually all my best friends did and I was just as accepting of their use as they where of my lack there of.

Phasmal said:
I'm 21, I've never smoked it and I never will.
Partly because I have heard it can cause mental problems to show themselves and my family has somewhat a history of mental instability.

A lot of people have told me I should be fine with it for a variety of reasons, but I'm not. I wouldn't go out with anyone who smoked it; hell I wont go out with someone who smokes tobacco but thats more of an issue of I dont want to kiss someone who tastes like ashtray.

In short, nothing wrong with not being okay with it.
Another good post. If you have a family problem with mental issues then you may want to stay on the safe side as with ALL drugs.

Nocola said:
SenseOfTumour said:
You aren't coming across as mean, no worries brother. However could you explain the above quote a little more?
I'll give it a shot; you are entitled to your opinion and abstinence and I RESPECT that I did it (still basically do it) as well but I would never impose it upon friends. The only thing I have ever tried to impose on someone else was to quit smoking tobacco and even then It was only a suggestion. What Tumor is saying is that by stopping your girlfriend from smoking you may be causing her harm as she may want to smoke with some friends, enjoy herself, relax but she wont be able to you because (hopefully :) she respects you and listens to your requests. Her friends knowing that she likes weed wont be able to understand her situation and importantly (I know this one weeell) it is hard to be the non stoned one in a group during relaxation.

If weed caused harm I could see how you could be concerned (like my friend who smoked) but if your worries aren't health related then maybe what you are doing is not in her best interest that is all.

Once again I don't want to sound mean, I completely respect YOUR distrust for or irritation about weed but not in relation to others.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
Nocola said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ranyilliams - Yes in fact I was about to bring up that point in my original post, the whole "you can't judge something you haven't tried". I completely agree, it's just when it comes to weed I just can't bring myself to do it. I have such a predisposition to it. That and I'm in the Army. If I'm caught I will get kicked out and charged. I had this feeling about weed long before I joined the army so I don't think the threat of being kicked out of the military factors into my feelings either.

I understand the point of "you probably have a problem with it because it's illegal" and yes that makes sense, but it feels like I have a much bigger problem with it than anyone else, even if they agree with it being illegal.
I definitely would never try weed. It's like smoking. It smells like ass and I don't care about some psychological effects. Even if it turned out to be great, why should I try it if it's so much trouble? I'd rather be blissfully unaware of the "high life" (lolpuns) than to have tried it and opened up the door for the bad things that can come with it.
It's a matter of risk vs reward, and the reward seems hardly worth pursuing.

In terms of why I hate it, it's likely the illegality factor for one, and the stereotypical view of people who smoke pot. Those I know that do, fit the bill quite well, and the stereotypes don't paint them in a very good light either.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Deathmageddon said:
Sure, it won't kill you, but it turns you into a useless sack of what should be human. I'd rather be dead. People should do more with their lives than get high and eat Cheetos all day. Just saying.
People should do more with their lives than play video games and eat Cheetos all day.

Any form of escapism is a problem if you do it too much.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Honestly you are thinking way to far into this, are being irritatingly self important and should get over it.

Not trying to be too hard hitting or anything, but threads like this really grind my gears.

Flying6LeggedWhale

Nov 19, 2010
You sir have listened to propaganda, which changed your morals to see it as wrong. Open your mind up. Stop judging people on such silly things and you won't look like a jack ass.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I think your primary issue is that the Law deems it wrong. Honestly, that should be enough. The law is enforced with zeal in some communities, sometimes to the point of Gestapo voracity. In most cases you can be prosecuted if you are in the same house as the activity, so your position is perfectly defensible and I don't think anyone should begrudge you that stance.

In fact, I would even deign to say if a person knew your comfort level with it and did it around you, they are putting you at risk against your will, and if I were you, I would leave or make them leave if it was your home.

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
Personally I don't smoke it, I can't stand the smell or the feeling. I also find it annoying the people who are really into the subculture of marijuana.

Another big reason for me to not partake in it is the ties that it has to Mexican Drug Cartels.

OP I would just recommend you go with your gut feeling. It might not make sense that Marijuana is illegal when tobacco and alcohol is not, but you're not going to get caught breaking the law for not doing it, so you're not really losing out on anything by having this attitude. Except your friends and girlfriend might think you're a bit of a narc :p.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
i have always enjoyed this community's complete lack of understanding when it comes to drugs.

but to answer the op, stop being a dick, don't have to do it, but don't be a dick about it ether, you no its no big deal so don't make it one.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
its because you're scared of breaking the law, probably.
so what you need to do to get over this fear is smoke a big-ass spliff and all your worries will go away...
unless you're one of those people who gets paranoid.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
z121231211 said:
Deathmageddon said:
Sure, it won't kill you, but it turns you into a useless sack of what should be human. I'd rather be dead. People should do more with their lives than get high and eat Cheetos all day. Just saying.
People should do more with their lives than play video games and eat Cheetos all day.

I'd also suggest many people manage to play games and eat cheetos all day without weed, just as people who partake in weed manage to be useful members of society too :)

Anyways, back to the OP, all I was suggesting, is to cut something like weed or alcohol out of your life, you may find you have to give up friends with it, people who are linked to that act, and that you feel you couldn't spend time around without the temptation to go back to the vice that you're leaving behind.

I hope I've tried to be a bit clearer, if not, I'll PM you with a longer version that won't bore loads of people at once.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Hagi said:
Nimcha said:
Hagi said:
Legalizing weed would probably go a long way towards removing it. It works where I'm from (the Netherlands) and we have among the lowest weed usage rates in the western world.
I'm sorry but that's just wrong. It's only legal up to a point.
I know, I could write a few paragraphs explaining how exactly the system works.

But for most responsible practical uses it basically boils down to legalized.

And if we're going for the full story then it isn't even legal up to a point. It's completely illegal. There's just another law stating that you can't be arrested and/or fined for breaking that first law as long as you keep to certain amounts and locations.
I'd say that's a pretty good summary.

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Just try it once and then form an opinion about it on your own. Thats all you need to do if you try it and don't like it then you have a solid reason to not like it. It used to make me very uncomfortable and then I tried it with my friends one day and its actually an enjoyable experience.

So basically just try it with your girlfriend and a few other good friends. See how that goes and then form an opinion about it. Even if you plan on never doing it again after at least you'll have the experience so if your kids ask about it you can give an informed, first-hand opinion.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Nocola said:
Hi folks, I have a huge problem with weed...

Woah woah woah, don't jump to conclusions. I never said I smoked it. In fact I never have, and I don't want to. Truth be told I hate it and I get mad at my friends who do. I'm a 19 year old university student. You'd think I'd be all into it, right? My mom even takes it in pill form legally from the government for medical reasons.

I know it's a lot less harmful than for example drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes, and I don't have an issue with those things. So why do I have such a quirk with weed? My girlfriend and I have talked about it before, she's done it a few times and I told her it made me uncomfortable that she did, and I asked her to stop. She said she would because she respected the fact that it bothered me. Although, sometimes I wonder if she still does sometimes. I don't like that it bugs me to the point of distrust.

Logically it makes no sense, I know it's not that bad for you,(compared to other legal substances, anyway) I'm okay with drinking/smoking, my own mother takes it (legally), and I've never had a bad experience, or known a friend who had a bad experience with it before. So what's my problem?

If anyone has any advice for me, or even less likely feels the same way I'd like to hear about it. Thanks guys.
Personally I hate the smell and just being around the stuff myself. The smell is comparable to a smelly sulfur compound (natural gas, skunk, bad farts, and so forth) in terms of how much it irritates me, but of course smells very different. I have absolutely no problem if someone smokes so long as I have absolutely nothing to do with it. That is that I never smell it and I'm not liable if you happen to be caught. However I get very irritated if they smoke it around me or in my apartment. Especially my apartment both for liability and because I don't have enough air freshener to counter it.

I'm not sure if yours in the same scenario, but that is the reason I "dislike" weed. The only other option is either A) You find the idea of illegality uncomfortable, although if you drink underage or participate in other illicit activities than this is unlikely. Otherwise B) You have been brainwashed to dislike it by anti-drug campaigns like DARE. Which is fine as we are all brainwashed to some extent in something. There are much worse things to have planted in your subconscious.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
Eventidal said:
Nocola said:
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ranyilliams - Yes in fact I was about to bring up that point in my original post, the whole "you can't judge something you haven't tried". I completely agree, it's just when it comes to weed I just can't bring myself to do it. I have such a predisposition to it. That and I'm in the Army. If I'm caught I will get kicked out and charged. I had this feeling about weed long before I joined the army so I don't think the threat of being kicked out of the military factors into my feelings either.

I understand the point of "you probably have a problem with it because it's illegal" and yes that makes sense, but it feels like I have a much bigger problem with it than anyone else, even if they agree with it being illegal.
I definitely would never try weed. It's like smoking. It smells like ass and I don't care about some psychological effects. Even if it turned out to be great, why should I try it if it's so much trouble? I'd rather be blissfully unaware of the "high life" (lolpuns) than to have tried it and opened up the door for the bad things that can come with it.
It's a matter of risk vs reward, and the reward seems hardly worth pursuing.

In terms of why I hate it, it's likely the illegality factor for one, and the stereotypical view of people who smoke pot. Those I know that do, fit the bill quite well, and the stereotypes don't paint them in a very good light either.
I know the other stereotype, the Carl Sagan stereotype, weed helping creative people be creative but that is just me. If you ever do that please keep that in mind, try to think creatively.

Also there is a technique called vaporization that does not involve smoking. It uses heat to pull the THC out of the weed in water vapor using heat. No smoke, no smell, not heat. Just telling you there are options out there.

I do agree about the risk stuff. It depends on you, think a bit about whether you would be likely to freak out, if not (and if you dont have a family or personal metal illness history) then you could try low doses to see if you like it. I am not trying to convince you to try it just to educate you about it. Don't take this as propaganda. Go ahead don't smoke, just know that there are many factors and that stereotypes are almost always damaging.

z121231211 said:
Deathmageddon said:

All most all the posts on this thread have been great and open minded but deathmeggadon is a little annoying to me I must admit.

meggadon refers to a damaging stereotype about cannabis that I despise. I see canabis as a creative drug. Helping people like carl sagan and the guy who hypothesized the benzene ring (the story goes he was tripping on some drug cocktail and saw the ouroboros which made him think of the ring structure). Artists of all kinds (especially but not limited to musicians), politicians (obama, Thomas Jefferson, etc...) and most of the people of the highest walks of life have admitted to trying it some even admit to using it frequently.

"If people let government decide which foods they eat and medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

Note: I am not American I place the quote without national relation. Second I do NOT smoke or vaporise weed I just hold a strong opinion about it.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
I think is because Marijuana is a "middleground" drug, and can easily promote the use of heavier drugs. Not to mention the addiction chance is higher and the effects for long term exposure and high consume is way worse than alcohol. Although it´s still more useful than smoking cigarettes

AperioContra

Aug 4, 2011
Nocola said:
Well to be fair, I didn't demand she stop. I raised my concerns to her, told her it made me uncomfortable and that I have a problem with it. Yes, I did ask her to stop. Knowing full well that's not an entirely fair thing to ask. It's difficult to simply not be bothered by things that bug you.

She said she'd stop out of respect for what is entirely MY problem. I'm trying to fix this. This is partly why I created this thread.
I apologize for my syntax, I did not mean to imply that you forcibly demanded to her, I simply used to demand for lack of a better word. What I meant to imply is that asking a person to stop an activity they consider innocuous, no matter how nicely it's asked, it will feel like a demand, this line of thinking can or cannot be born in reason depending on the person or the situation. Having been on both sides of problems similar and exactly like this situation I can say from experience that this can happen, and can be devastating to trust and a relationship.

Well, it seems what your facing is one of two problems (or maybe both). One is an extreme mistrust for a person you should trust and the other is a deeply imbedded distain for something that is ultimately harmless. On either problem there is no universal advice I or anyone else on this forum can give you. I am not meaning to say it is hopeless, what I am saying is that the problem resides within you, so only you can solve it.

The only thing that I can mention are things I've said before. First, you cannot dispel with reason an idea not born in it. What this means is you can't logic yourself out of this idea, what you need to do is try to understand the nature of this problem and where it spawns from, then you need to face it. I'm sorry I can't give you more advice than "get over it" but honestly it's the only advice out there.

I hope that you will find one solution or another that will suit your life, and if this really concerns you I suggest a therapist or a school counselor or somebody more qualified than anonymous people on the internet. The fact is, because we don't know you, we can't help you get into those deep recesses of your mind and find out the cause, and even then we are hardly in the position to give deep enriching advice that will not be tainted by our personal experience.

Best of luck to you.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
I do smoke it pretty often around 3-4 times a week but mostly during the weekends. Living in Holland I don't have to buy it from shady drug dealer around in a dark alley, so that's nice.

My nephew isn't "allowed" by his girlfriend to smoke it. She had some friends who wasted their lives with it so I can understand why she would dislike it. He is fine with it and from my experience he wouldn't even try it behind her back, and I respect his decision.

You did the right thing talking it out with her. And if you really trust her you should know she wouldn't smoke it again even behind your back.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Well my view is kind of mixed on the matter.

I have nothing against people smoking it. It's their bodies, they should be able to do what the hell they want with it. I personally, however, will not be trying weed. My uncle pretty much became a total bum because of drugs when I was very young. I have no idea if marijuana was involved or not, but it's kinda painted a dark image of the stuff in my mind.

I went through university for three years, met plenty of people who were both fine and dicks while high, I just never had any interest in the matter. That and I simply hate the smell of smoke (hence why I've also never tried a cigarette).

At the end of the day, it's down to you whether you want to try it or not. No interest? Don't try it. However, it's always important to keep an open mind, and not to feel pressured, but also not to push your beliefs onto others.