Mark Hamill's Days as Arkham Asylum Joker Numbered

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
craddoke said:
Hamill is a brilliant voice actor - there's actually a number of actors with only moderate success in live ventures who are just awesome when it comes to voicing animated characters (Patrick Warburton, aka the Tick, immediately comes to mind after Hamill). None of them get the recognition/accolades they deserve for this work - basically, they're invisible.
Yeah, I agree. Funny how that works. Same as Kevin Conroy in that respect- he found most success and exposure from doing voice work rather than from his film and tv work.

I'll miss hearing Hamill's electrifying Joker... although I'm delighted that he's decided to give it another whirl for Arkham Asylum 2.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
manythings said:
The way I interpreted it Ra'as('s?) own machinations killed him whereas batman kicked the joker out of a window himself.
Interesting, so in Batmans system of ethics, it is wrong to cause death, but ok to let someone die.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Crimson_Dragoon said:
That's a damn shame. Hamill will always be my favorite Joker. Anytime I read Joker in the comics, I hear him in Mark Hamill's voice.
ME TOO!!!

This is a sad day for cartoon lovers every wheres (for people who watch The Batman Animated Series)

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
But too be fair, It's better to hear him stopping the Joker by his means, then, by say, him dying and having him replaced by a soundalike.

Although, to complain, so now Spock retires and Hamill stops playing Joker? What next? Bruce Campbell not being Ash? Because that can't happen!

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I understand not wanting to do the voice for the game again, but why drop the Joker forever?

I guess this means we will never see anything else from the DC animated universe... it will just feel empty without Hamill. :(

As for who they could get for the main baddy, we have somebody from the cartoon who possibly was a BETTER villain in the show. A villain that gave the show its first emmy, and put Batman: TAS on the map. A villain that was as tragic as he was cold.

Don't know who it is?

Watch the show (why you need an excuse to watch possibly the greatest animated series ever is beyond me) and you will know who I am talking about.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Dumb reason. Almost...bullshitty even.

1)Hamill is getting on in years & the difference between the sound of his Joker in the 90s & now are noticable enough.

2)Doing the Joker voice is harsh on the lungs & throat & hard to keep up. I've heard many Hamill-Joker impersonators say that.

Fortunately there are some really good Hamill-Joker impersonators who CAN replace him when his voice is really needed, should he refuse to do it himself.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Going on a bit of a tangent here, but how come in the new batman films batman "left" his mentor to die, but he rescued a psychotic madman that he had no previous affiliation to?
He did it because Batman's sense of morality is quite frankly idiotic and based on the inconsistent whims of plot. Batman isn't a character, he is a plot device.

That said, Mark Hamil was a truly awesome voice actor, and I will miss him.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Captain Pancake said:
Going on a bit of a tangent here, but how come in the new batman films batman "left" his mentor to die, but he rescued a psychotic madman that he had no previous affiliation to?
Good question - I suppose you could say it was harder for him to say Ras thingy to die, but he did say outright "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you".

I suppose he doesn't truly appreciate how twisted the Joker is yet, nor how often he could return to haunt Gotham (I mean, had Ledger not died RIP), whereas he knew that sparing Ras would simply mean he'd return until either he was killed or until Gotham was burned.

But really, I dunno. Maybe he didn't want to prove the Joker right to his face, even if said face was gonna hit the cement in a short time.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
LiquidGrape said:
Captain Pancake said:
Poor writing.
Easy as that.
that is probably the best answer, the only way to defend it in my opinion is to point out that he threw the Joker off the building in the first place and so if he didn't save him he would be directly killing him as opposed to merely not saving him.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
It's been a good run, but I can imagine that Hamill might be ready to call it quits. It's just unfortunate that we never got to see him in a live-action version of the role, I think he would have been perfect. People would be like "Hey, that's Luke! He's a good guy-- oh! Oh *bleep*, what is he doing with that flower?!" or something to that effect. And yes, his laugh is quintessentially Joker-esque.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
dochmbi said:
manythings said:
The way I interpreted it Ra'as('s?) own machinations killed him whereas batman kicked the joker out of a window himself.
Interesting, so in Batmans system of ethics, it is wrong to cause death, but ok to let someone die.
It's like that in mine. If a murdering psychopath is in a position to kill himself I'm not going to stop him.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
2011? Dangnabbit, I want this game so hard it's borderline sexual. Also, I wonder what it would be like in an alternate universe where Heath Ledger was around to voice Arkham Asylum 3?

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I was personally dissapointed that Joker would be appearing in AA2 at all. There are plenty of other awesome Batman villains and I'm tired of the idea that if its a self-contaiend Batman plot it has to star the Joker. Movie adaptation: Joker. (Good) game adaptation: Joker. Every significant episode of the Batman cartoon: Joker. There are plenty of characters with more thematic and intellectual relevance than an insane clown. The ex-DA whose justice system failed him. The OCD guy who wants to test his mettle against the smartest detective in the world. The man who must commit crimes to save his wife's life even though he knows he has become a monster she could never love. The Joker is entertaining but lets give some better thought out characters a chance.
Rant over.

Seagoon

Feb 14, 2010
i wonder if hugh laurie would make a good joker... yep! definatly should be the next joker!