Mass Effect 2 Destroying Save Files on the PS3

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Holy $hit, that's bad! I would have never expected that from Bioware! I am disappoint >.<

No_Remainders said:
Hah, PS3 owners are having a damn hard time these days...

I doubt I'm the only one thinking they deserve it.
I call troll!

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
That sucks and I am really worried about this now. I don't own a PS3, but having problems with the port of such important game to the Sony system will damage BioWare in more than just sales numbers. Let's hope they fix that, if there's a possiblity of fixing.

naab

Jun 4, 2009
So this is what happens if you go to the Omega 4 Relay all by yourself.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
I've only played about 2 hours so far and it already crashed once. Fortunately my character was ok, but this has me slightly worried now. I should've expected something though, it was already lagging the audio in one scene prior to the crash. I shall play on with caution.

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
Bugger. I was gonna get since I don't have a 360 or a good gaming PC. I hope they patch it

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
wtf? i expected better of you BioWare! This issue must be corrected. i dont want the PS3 players to have a lesser experience than the 360 owners

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I've been playing 30 hours with no freezes or issues. (I did have to quit and restart the game when a bug left me stranded in midair once.) But I'm definitely backing up to my external HDD when I get home.

In the past, I've always recovered from a freeze-up by holding down the front power button until the PS3 goes into sleep mode (red light comes on), then pressing it again, and it's always worked with no problems. But I have a "fat" PS3--not sure if you can do this with the Slim.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
murphy7801 said:
I literally blame people not reading how shut down the PS3 correctly in the manual if it freezes. If you don't it can damage the hard drive and if the game continually access the hard drive which it does might be the reason why.
I've been placing my finger over the on button (it's not really a button, more like a sensor) until it beeps and shuts down. Is that how it's done? I can't find the manual...
Your supposed to eject the game first wait 30 seconds then shut down if it freezes actually.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
wtf? i expected better of you BioWare! This issue must be corrected. i dont want the PS3 players to have a lesser experience than the 360 owners
So far, I'm very pleased. It would have been nice to have played through ME1 first--I can tell meeting some of the old squadmates would have had more emotional resonance that way. And those 360/PS3 comparison screenshots that were going around must not have been taken from the final product, because I don't see any lack of detail in the backgrounds. There've been a few bugs, but it's nowhere near as clunky as Dragon Age: Origins.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Ouch. Reminds me of the unstoppable calendar bug. (Fortunately I didn't even boot my PS3 on that day and I was left untouched)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Okay, when they said they were running the game on a newer engine, I was expecting it to be a good one. Instead it sounds like they're running it on the Shepard VI. >_<

How the hell did testers not catch this one?! Ugh. So much failure.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
BabyRaptor said:
Must suck to own a PS3 right about now. Ya'll have had more than a few kicks to the jewels lately.
Lately?
It's a good machine but support for it has gone downhill since the launch. Sony doesn't need help from publishers, they're really good at sandbagging the console on their own.
I'm just happy the thing doesn't spontaneously combust; that seems to be the best you can hope for with this gen.

That's a pretty messed up bug right there. It reminds me of the riot bug from San ANdreas: if you saved with the riot cheat on, you would get to (near) the end of the game and find you can't make it past a particular mission and have to start from the beginning.
Are they trying to trump Fallout New Vegas on bugs that make you want to sell the game?

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
Vault101 said:
theonlyblaze2 said:
I think this might have been purposely put in by Bioware to show that EA shouldn't be allowed to tell them what to do with one of their biggest franchises.
why would they be unhappy about putting me2 on the ps3?
I think it isn't so much they don't want to put the game on PS3, but more EA is telling them, "We want money! Get cracking on a port or no money for ME3!" I would like to say that in the original previews of ME1, Bioware said that they wanted to keep it on Xbox and PC because they felt it would work better on those platforms, or something. Don't quote me on that.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
No_Remainders said:
Hah, PS3 owners are having a damn hard time these days...

I doubt I'm the only one thinking they deserve it.
......Why does anyone deserve this?

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Ah yes, in the end, everything balances out. PS3 and their saves get all the DLC, and their virtual ass blown into actual dust.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Everything is gonna be fixed by Friday hopefully. (i already posted this, but since it isnt getting noticed)

Straight from Bioware:

"Hello everyone

First, we are sorry some of you have had problems playing Mass Effect 2 on the Playstation 3 and want to thank you all for providing feedback on our forums on both the freezing and resulting save game issue that some of you have experienced. The information and support you have provided has helped the development team to build the latest patch. We're currently testing the patch thoroughly, we expect to be finished our quality passes on Friday. This patch is then being delivered to Sony ASAP for verification and distribution. We will announce as soon the patch is available. Please see the below patch notes for a complete list of what will be included:

Patch Notes
-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
-Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.
-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)
-Fixed the picture frame in Shepard's Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.
-Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard's Cabin.

We want you to be able to continue playing while you wait for the patch. While data and telemetry have shown that very few people have seen this issue, we know a few of you here have experienced this problem. There is a very simple work around to ensure the freezing and corruption issues are minimized. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue."

Once again, thank you for your feedback which has helped us get to a resolution"

YES! Good news!

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
I personally like to think that this is some sort of Karma that the Gaming Gods have inflicted on PS3 ME2 players due to Bioware screwing over Xbox user by porting a former exclusive and then saying its so very superior