Mass Effect 3 ending SPOILERS!

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
Since there was no way in hell I was gonna let Shepard become a Reaper-yes, that is an option-
I decided to let him sacrifice himself to destroy those metal bastards. That said, who didn't get a little upset when Mordin died? Or Thane, for that matter. Or Legion.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
drh1975 said:
Since there was no way in hell I was gonna let Shepard become a Reaper-yes, that is an option-
I decided to let him sacrifice himself to destroy those metal bastards. That said, who didn't get a little upset when Mordin died? Or Thane, for that matter. Or Legion.
Getting upset wasn't a bad thing. Those are suppose to be emotional movements in the game. I got a bit teary eyed when thane died, and what they did with grunt was both sad and then epicly awesome!

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
I have to say, I didn't take all the hate surrounding the endings in the leaked scripts on the Bioware forums that seriously. I figured it was just more unified fans butthurt that they didn't get the ending they wished for.

Alas, how wrong I was. I can appreciate a sad, no hope ending, but not when you've invested so much choice into a trilogy spanning 5 years. It's just a massive waste.

Leave it to Bioware to go so well then trip at the last hurdle, but the sheer amount of vitriol the endings are recieving EVERYWHERE won't go unnoticed. There's no doubt about that, and neither should it.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
But controlling the Reapers is the good ending. Even if the Mass Relays are gone the Reapers under Shepard`s control can help to rebuild them.

edit: i just find out there was a synthesis ending...

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
GoddyofAus said:
I have to say, I didn't take all the hate surrounding the endings in the leaked scripts on the Bioware forums that seriously. I figured it was just more unified fans butthurt that they didn't get the ending they wished for.

Alas, how wrong I was. I can appreciate a sad, no hope ending, but not when you've invested so much choice into a trilogy spanning 5 years. It's just a massive waste.

Leave it to Bioware to go so well then trip at the last hurdle, but the sheer amount of vitriol the endings are recieving EVERYWHERE won't go unnoticed. There's no doubt about that, and neither should it.
How are any of the endings sad or even close to 'no hope' except for the one where you destroy all synthetic life?

roguewriter

May 9, 2011
VoidWanderer said:
This post will piss people off, but I feel it needs to be made. Sorry guys, but...

Who else expected the game to end like this? Seriously, please tell me I wasn't the only one who was expecting it to end tragically.

I haven't finished the game, but I came across some minor events that screamed "THINGS WILL NOT END WELL!" Who else noticed that the new human characters had back-story resulting in pointless loss? Anyone else notice that people suffering some form of loss (or doubt) could be influenced? Can someone else notice that the fact that you are facing a force you are repeatedly told is so powerfully overwhelming they doubt you can win, even when you pull off the 'impossible'?

Unless they execute the end movie improperly, I applaud Bioware for making people realize THIS IS NOT A FAIRY TALE. If people you connect with make heroic sacrifices, and Shep did this in ME2 then you will NOT get the pretty rainbow rosy ending. You want a bittersweet ending to a game, play as a Dwarf Commoner character through Dragon Age Origins and don't use Morrigan's 'trick'. That's bittersweet.

Standing on the planet after you save the galaxy is just a boring version of Star Wars Prequel Episode (whatever one had the parade at the end).

I would 'engage flameshield', but I really don't care. If people couldn't see it coming, then you need to pay a bit more attention.
Engaging "Flame/Troll Shields" shouldn't be required, that would just be childish and petulant on behalf of someone else. However, if you honestly believe that you *always* knew the series would end tragically then, with respect, it was you who was not paying attention while playing the original and initial sequel.

First and Foremost, both previous entries in the series offered Heroic Endings for those willing to commit fully to their respective efforts, especially in ME2 where completing all research, the loyalty missions, and going after your captured crew resulted in Shepard defeating the collectors completely and, essentially, standing out looking at space towards the Reapers with a "You're next," expression. And you believed it, unless you have a sadistic love for Shakespearean tragedy in your narrative so you see it at every turn.

Second point: ME3's motivation for the Reapers doesn't even match up to what we were told. First they were Gods! (According to Sovereign) and their beliefs and Actions could not be perceived by smaller races. Yet, come Shepard's conversation with Projection Child Reaper Emperor...thing, his explanation boils down to, "We were Organics who became Synthetics to destroy Organics who will create Synthetics that will destroy Organics." Really? Not only is that ludicrous on so many levels (how can they guarantee that will happen and, likewise, how can BioWare not give Shepard an *honest* option to choose) What's worse is it doesn't even follow the original motivations of the Reapers hinted at in ME2, i.e. the rising tide of Dark Energy in the cosmos, something which could, theoretically, destroy all life.

Lastly, Mass Effect as *always* essentially been Star Wars for a new generation, just with far better writing (sans the endings) As such, ending the game with a Triumphant victory was expected and diverting for the sake of some false Shakespearean pathos is simply contrite and irresponsible on the part of Mac Walters and the rest of the ME3 writing team. Comparing these endings to Dragon Age Origin's "Bittersweet" ending is also in error. Indeed, not taking Morrigan's offer results in either the Warden or one of his Warden contemporaries (i.e. Alistair or Loghain) being sacrificed; however, that sacrifice does not leave the rest of the world in peril or completely destroyed with all of his companions lost. Yes, our Hero is lost, but the sacrifice is justified. While I would have never expected Shepard to die unless the player chooses that route I would have excepted an ending like DAO's as being "Bittersweet." However, for ME3, there is a distinctive lack of "sweet," it's merely "bitter, and nonsensically so at that.

https://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3

https://twitter.com/#!/RetakeME3

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I find all the campaigns to 'retake' the ending kinda funny. seriously if you don't like the ending go write a fan fiction or something instead of shouting at the people who put time and thought into the games entire story.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
synobal said:
I find all the campaigns to 'retake' the ending kinda funny. seriously if you don't like the ending go write a fan fiction or something instead of shouting at the people who put time and thought into the games entire story.
It worked with Fallout 3. Don't see why its not possible for ME3, especially considering Bioware's inclination to listen to its fans.

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
synobal said:
Well i guess when you like something its hard to see eye to eye with the people who don't

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
This post will piss people off, but I feel it needs to be made. Sorry guys, but...

Who else expected the game to end like this? Seriously, please tell me I wasn't the only one who was expecting it to end tragically.

I haven't finished the game, but I came across some minor events that screamed "THINGS WILL NOT END WELL!" Who else noticed that the new human characters had back-story resulting in pointless loss? Anyone else notice that people suffering some form of loss (or doubt) could be influenced? Can someone else notice that the fact that you are facing a force you are repeatedly told is so powerfully overwhelming they doubt you can win, even when you pull off the 'impossible'?

Unless they execute the end movie improperly, I applaud Bioware for making people realize THIS IS NOT A FAIRY TALE. If people you connect with make heroic sacrifices, and Shep did this in ME2 then you will NOT get the pretty rainbow rosy ending. You want a bittersweet ending to a game, play as a Dwarf Commoner character through Dragon Age Origins and don't use Morrigan's 'trick'. That's bittersweet.

Standing on the planet after you save the galaxy is just a boring version of Star Wars Prequel Episode (whatever one had the parade at the end).

I would 'engage flameshield', but I really don't care. If people couldn't see it coming, then you need to pay a bit more attention.
Actually, I fully wanted an ending where Shepard dies in a heroic sacrifice. While I enjoy a good ending where everyone lives, they dont have the same impact as truely bittersweet endings.

*note, I havent played the game, but I did check out the endings, since everyone is bitching about them.*

Though I would have prefered an ending which actually would allow the series to continue, in spin offs or something. This is not for all games series, but for Mass Effect, I would love more. And with these endings, that just doesnt seem possible...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
synobal said:
It's criticism, a LOT of people are really unhappy with this. And we're doing this because while I like fanfiction, at the end of the day, it's fanfiction, and not the canon ending, it's not the same. And we're also doing it because it's worked before.
http://static.zenimax.com/bethblog/oldcontent/BrokenSteelLogo01-black.jpg

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
jason27131 said:
1. In a normal war, no one would do that. But this isn't a normal war. This is either you win, or you die. In those cases, no tactician who's remotely sane would try to save civilians instead of committing all manpower. Please, go read history. This has shown up again and again. It's called militia, a last defence in case the main army was not enough. It's called conscription. L2history.

2. In that case, every single game out there is a RPG. COD is a rpg. So is BF3.

P.S. Still ignoring this. Why did EDI show up in normandy AFTER she died by the reaper laser.
1. Normal war or not most people wouldn't be so shortsighted as to risk sending ALL of their people to fight.

Secondly even in this war THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE NEEDED FOR NON-COMBAT PURPOSES. YOU CAN'T run a military by putting everyone on ships and sending them off to fight. There NEEDS to be MANY people back on the homeworlds/colonies to make things for the military.

2. Most games are technically RPGs.

3. EDI doesn't show up if you pick the destroy ending, she only appears in the merge endings, and if i recall she was in the control ending.

Merge ending and control ending don't involve killing all the Reapers. Beyond that she could easily have had more then one body, and/or they fixed her body.
Just an fyi In the War assets. It does list the turian Civilian fleet at least it did in my playthrough.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
WanderingFool said:
VoidWanderer said:

Actually, I fully wanted an ending where Shepard dies in a heroic sacrifice. While I enjoy a good ending where everyone lives, they dont have the same impact as truely bittersweet endings.

*note, I havent played the game, but I did check out the endings, since everyone is bitching about them.*

Though I would have prefered an ending which actually would allow the series to continue, in spin offs or something. This is not for all games series, but for Mass Effect, I would love more. And with these endings, that just doesnt seem possible...
It is the 'Worldstone' thing from Diablo 2. When my mates and I clocked D2 and expansion, I was the only one that knew a sequel would be made. I am fairly certain that there will be more Mass Effect games as EA, while they are moneygrubbing and maniacal, will most likely get Bioware to make more games.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
synobal said:
Thatguyky said:
I was in shock and denial when the end of the game came around as well. I mean, no matter WHAT choices you make in the entire ME series, everything basically gets screwed over. I'm okay with some endings being like that, but all of them? Really Bioware? For a series that has pretty much always reflected the choices you made, this is a really shitty way to wrap up the series. They force feed you three terribly written endings. Not cool.

On another note, I was checking out the Bioware forums, and the top poll is one arguing that ME3 should have a brighter possible ending, or one that provides a bit of closure. Check it out, it's up to 9k votes in a very short amount of time. Let them know you're pissed off!
http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/28989/
Am I the only one who saw the endings as all pretty much happy except the destroy part where you destroy all synthetic life? Because the other two seemed really quite upbeat, and full of possibilities.

It's the future and its full of stars people.
You'd be in that small 3% or so shown in the poll. There's nothing wrong with that, but it seems the majority of people are not happy about the endings (I'm not). I'd be fine with them keeping the endings the have now, just add a few more or something with some closure and or happiness.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
Hang on... they vaunted that feature where you get to continue after completing the game. But completing the game means Shepard's close to death, and there's no way to travel between systems because the relays are down.

How the hell does that work?

(Besides, all that talk about tracking lots of factors from the first game and over a thousand from the second - and it all comes down, after potentially two hundred hours of gaming, to which one of three buttons you click in the last minute of play? Seriously? Bioware, go play Fallout and see how it should be done.)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
WanderingFool said:
VoidWanderer said:

It is the 'Worldstone' thing from Diablo 2. When my mates and I clocked D2 and expansion, I was the only one that knew a sequel would be made. I am fairly certain that there will be more Mass Effect games as EA, while they are moneygrubbing and maniacal, will most likely get Bioware to make more games.
True, EA will probably have Bioware make more, I just hope they dont end up being shitty little spin-offs like Halo Wars, and are as good as the original ME games.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
I applaud Bioware for making people realize THIS IS NOT A FAIRY TALE. .
If it's not a fairy tale, then why in the world did they come up with the freaking Princess Bride/grampa-tell-me-a-story cop out at the end?!

It's not funny it's not charming it's driving the point that the mass effect universe as we know it is dead. As dead as the protean were. If they had to have Buzz Aldrin, they could've have had him as an academy instructor, ...something that ties to the original setting!

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
easternflame said:
Look, if the mass relays were destroyed, the whole galaxy would be too (arrival).
Hurdling a giant meteor into a Mass Relay is much different than draining it's power source.