Mass Effect 3 Gives Steam a Miss at Launch

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
There's an extremely large amount of petty people who are willing to miss out on the long awaited conclusion to Mass Effect over something as trivial as a different delivery platform.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Genericjim101 said:
There's an extremely large amount of petty people who are willing to miss out on the long awaited conclusion to Mass Effect over something as trivial as a different delivery platform.

meh. I dont like Origin at all but when i eventually get a pc that can run it i will be getting the mass effects on pc. I agree that a lot of people are being petty but i respect their decision. HOWEVER i agree that EA should just come out of the closet and say the truth rather than trying to blame one of my favorite video game companies of all time. As it is i cant afford a gaming rig to play it on so i will just get it for ps3.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Mass Effect 2 is my favorite game, and hearing stuff like this just makes me sad. EA forcing some extra requirements to it.

I will get Origin anyways never heard of it but I want to freaking play Mass Effect 3.

burhanr

Jun 7, 2011
I think some guy mentioned that DLCs for Steam games HAVE to be distributed through Steam, but I believe I have to use BioWare points for my Mass Effect 2, and Steam is fine with that. They just want their service to be popular don't they? I kinda don't understand, isn't hosting your own server cost you money?

Well EA is an asshole, they have been for quite some time, but I really like the Mass Effect series. And I already paid the preorder deposit for the collectors edition, so in 2 months I will experience Origin. But I don't care, in the end, the fun we get from the game is what matters right? If Miranda's butts the game are is still awesome I can easily forgive them.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Daymo said:
Oh noes, EA is forcing us to do what Valve has been doing for years, and that was with a service that started out as a piece of shit, screwing over people who brought half life 2 early on. At least Origin worked at launch. I don't get how people are fine with something that has become the standard for steam, but the second another company tries it, it's a sign that they are the devil.
Allow me to respond to this by reposting something I wrote earlier. (and because I'm getting really sick of repeatedly having to retype this)

======================================

But you know what? That's not the issue here. But for discussions sake, let's make a few quick comparisons, shall we?

EA - multi-billion dollar corporation, employing and funding thousands, and has been in operation for over two decades.
Valve - company comprised of, at this point, less than 250 people.

When Valve first released Steam, they were breaking new ground. Add to that that they didn't exactly have the knowledge, resources, or funding to make it a perfect system at start and one can see why Steam was so buggy. That it's become what it is is nothing less than impressive.

EA, on the other hand, has been trying to make their own DD service for years. Origin is hardly their first attempt. Yet, it's still a colossal pile of sh#t. But why? They have the funding. They have the experience. And God knows they have a wealth of industry knowledge to pull from on what to and what not to do.

Valve had an excuse back then. What's EA's excuse now?

(and don't even get me started on the BS information collection policies and their unbelievably stupid "account ban" procedures.)

======================================

Also, Valve having it's own games exclusive to Steam is FAR different than EA moving to have EVERY SINGLE GAME they publish exclusive to Origin. If you can't see the discrepancy in that then...well...I'm not even sure where to go from there.

Creamygoodness

Aug 9, 2010
Thank you! EA for giving me another in a long list of reasons to NOT to play any games that you produce from here on out.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience
Priestly also made it clear that Origin would be necessary to play the game on the PC
Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection
Hehe, this guy is funny! ... Oh, it wasn't a joke?

Well, I didn't have much hope for this one anyway, after how ME2 turned out. If EA doesn't want my money, too bad.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
In all honestly, as long as it doesn't require Origin to play SP, which it does not. From what I read, you will need to verify one single time through Origin and then you don't need to use it anymore. And they are giving you unlimited installs. I don't trust EA or Origin. So, I buy a digital EA game I'm interested in through Amazon Digital, that way I always have access to it. I don't trust EA after the banning fiasco [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/05/ea-origin-bans-update-edition/]. I would never purchase anything through Origin ever. I either have it on Steam or Amazon Digital. But, after ME3, my interest has evaporated. I am looking at Kingdoms of Amalur, but I think I'm gonna give that one a pass. But, back OT: If I find out you need to run Origin to play this game, it's over. No ME3 for me, and I may be OK with that. I'm not really feeling Bioware that much anymore, anyway. I can only have some kind of loyalty to them in so far as they are creating things I want, and that isn't going to be forever.

burhanr said:
I think some guy mentioned that DLCs for Steam games HAVE to be distributed through Steam, but I believe I have to use BioWare points for my Mass Effect 2, and Steam is fine with that. They just want their service to be popular don't they? I kinda don't understand, isn't hosting your own server cost you money?
The issue isn't that it must be distributed through the Steam client. Steam simply requires that people who own a Steam copy of the game have access to DLC and expansions through the Steam store. They don't want you selling a game through them and then not making any additional game content available through the Steam store, even if this means going to an outside website to get it. With ME2, the digital deluxe edition of the game came with some DLC. I had to download all of that from EA directly and I had to have an EA account. That was a bit annoying, but it was doable. The only downside was that the EA/Bioware website for that was fucking retarded in it's design and they buried the DLC through several menus. Some people call this a money grab, but it's really just common sense. Would it make sense for a store to only sell pants made by a specific company, but then the company didn't let them sell the shirts as well? It wouldn't.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Baresark said:
In all honestly, as long as it doesn't require Origin to play SP, which it does not. From what I read, you will need to verify one single time through Origin and then you don't need to use it anymore. And they are giving you unlimited installs. I don't trust EA or Origin. So, I buy a digital EA game I'm interested in through Amazon Digital, that way I always have access to it. I don't trust EA after the banning fiasco [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/05/ea-origin-bans-update-edition/]. I would never purchase anything through Origin ever. I either have it on Steam or Amazon Digital. But, after ME3, my interest has evaporated. I am looking at Kingdoms of Amalur, but I think I'm gonna give that one a pass.
actually, it does require origin to play the SP only. so origin will run in the background wile you play ME3. basically like steam that it has to tun if you want to play a game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Metalrocks said:
Baresark said:
In all honestly, as long as it doesn't require Origin to play SP, which it does not. From what I read, you will need to verify one single time through Origin and then you don't need to use it anymore. And they are giving you unlimited installs. I don't trust EA or Origin. So, I buy a digital EA game I'm interested in through Amazon Digital, that way I always have access to it. I don't trust EA after the banning fiasco [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/05/ea-origin-bans-update-edition/]. I would never purchase anything through Origin ever. I either have it on Steam or Amazon Digital. But, after ME3, my interest has evaporated. I am looking at Kingdoms of Amalur, but I think I'm gonna give that one a pass.
actually, it does require origin to play the SP only. so origin will run in the background wile you play ME3. basically like steam that it has to tun if you want to play a game.
I'm not convinced, look at this statement: "Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection ... Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital."

It sounds to me like it's going to install it, no matter what. But, it says you only need a constant connection when playing online. But, I'm not making any decisions until I know for sure, because the way this is worded, it is very vague and could go either way.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I will be playing SWTOR in till it turns in monotony. Perhaps by the time I fancy playing ME3 what ever dong waving contest going on between Valve and EA will have been resolved and I will be able to play ME3 on steam.

I wonder if EA knew that it may have been a bad idea to release Mass Effect 3 in the same year as their MMO of Star Wars. The majority of Bioware fanites will be playing SWTOR religiously and see no need to sink teeth into ME3 yet.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
While it's clear this guy has aced all PR bullshiting courses and the actual message reads: "puttng EA games on the biggest competitor service? LOL No"

It's good that Valve is getting their cage rattled, they are too big for their own good and unless someone pokes them into some changes they have no reason to make them.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Waaghpowa said:
Logan Westbrook said:
"Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game.
Now does that mean I can run the game without starting Origin after the first time? If so, who cares if I have Origin? I'd never need to run it again.
Nah, you will have to keep Origin open anytime you want to run ME3 just like BF3.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Crazy_Dude said:
I will get Origin anyways never heard of it but I want to freaking play Mass Effect 3.
It spies on you and sends back information to EA on everything you do with your computer, just so you know.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4103/originwhy.png

Behazard

Oct 12, 2011
I'm currently really thinking about buying the entire trilogy for the Xbox, just to get out of having to download Origin.
I certainly don't trust the program. EA's refusal for not selling it through Steam, sounds like they want to force you to install Origin (after all I've heard, it seems to me this is their main reason).

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
You can play SWTOR without Origin. I don't understand why you need Origin for ME3.

White-Death

Oct 31, 2011
You know what? I was going to buy a Disc, & crack use a no Origin crack as I did with Battlefield 3.
EA are shooting themselves in the face with Origin.I don't want Dragon Age 2 to be my last ever Bioware game.
Origin is Spyware,EA are just going ''WAAAAAH! VALVE WON'T LET US SPY ON OUR CUSTOMERS!''

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
I have ME1 and ME2 on Steam. I don't want Origin. So I won't be getting ME3 unless something changes. Fine, whatever, I can live with that. $60 or however much they're going to ask + installing Origin is a higher price than I'm willing to pay. Maybe if ME3 was free with Origin... which is how I would do exclusive deals (or just not have exclusive deals.) If you're going to attempt to punish me for not having Origin, don't make my decision not to have Origin easier by making the punishment consist of me having more money than otherwise. At that point I don't even have to think about it that hard.

scw55 said:
You can play SWTOR without Origin. I don't understand why you need Origin for ME3.
Because they want to have something that distinguishes Origin from Steam-- in an actually good way. The problem of course is that it's so transparently done that it will rightfully arouse the ire of consumers.