Mass Effect 3 Gives Steam a Miss at Launch

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Vigormortis said:
michael87cn said:
Translation:

EA: Hey Valve, check out Mass Effect 3.
Valve: Cool game! Oh, it has spyware in it... well, unfortunately you'll need to remove that from the game before we can put it on Steam.
EA: LOL! STFU NOOB IM GONNA TELL THE INTRNETS HOW MUCH STEAM SUX CUZ UR LAME!
Valve: . . .
Oddly enough, that's a scenario that played out in my head when I heard this bit of news. Thinking on it as if Valve and EA were a couple of snot-nosed kids in school.

'Course, it's the same thing I thought of when EA started all of this PR bullshit back when they pulled the same shenanigans with Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2. (for those who don't know, EA basically made any and all further DLC, updates, and bug fixes available ONLY on Origin. Thus nerfing the Steam version, and all other versions for that matter. Hence, why Valve removed those games from the Steam store. This was around the time EA started pointing the finger at Valve saying they had adopted "restrictive policies". Funny how, even after MONTHS of spewing this bullshit, they've yet to actually SAY what those policies are.)

Still, you typing it out mustered a few laughs from me. So thanks. Made my otherwise miserable day a bit better. (not related to the topic)
And as a continuation of my last rant, this kinda summed it up also.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Oh no. It's like EA doesn't want my money. Again.

Guess I'll have to make do by using a better service provider with frequent sales, a huge community, run by the equivalent of the benevolent Gods of this medium. The horror!

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
lowkey_jotunn said:
Gather said:
It's actually Valve that's being the greedy company here (Or well... Both companies being the "greedy company" just Valve being greedier). The "restrictive" polices has nothing to do with spying, it has something to do with the delivery of downloadable content. Valve wants a slice out of those sales as well now.

And Valve SHOULD get a cut of the DLC sales. Valve/Steam is paying to host the content, paying to advertise it and deliver it to you. Why wouldn't they get a part of the profits?

Think if it like a regular store. If Mass Effect DLC was sold at Best Buy, they get a cut.
Except that Mass Effect DLC isn't being sold on Steam. It's being sold on a separate website; bandwidth and all.

Feb 11, 2009
Jellly said:
"Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection."

Well there's plenty of other games to play anyway, looks like ME3 can wait.
It's a multiplayer mode they are talking about. Multiplayer. Online. Think about it.

---

Oh well, and so it goes that I won't be able to play yet another game because of EA's "problems" with Steam. I'm sure as hell not paying US60 (game) + 40 (delivery to where I live) for the physical copy and not touching Origin as it is f-ed-up in Hong Kong.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Just so that people are informed...

Origin scans your entire registry, and peeks at files which have nothing to do with your installed Origin games or Origin itself.

Other programs that have been *demonstrated* to do the exact, same, thing? Steam.

Origin doesn't need to be initialised in any mode (on or offline) for you to run your executables. Considering that both Origin and Steam are essentially malware if you don't opt-out of data distribution and spyware even if you do (because data-mining continues anyway), it's impossible to give one a pass and not the other.

In fact, the one that doesn't nanny my own f'ing executables is the one I'll give the gold star to. 1-0 to Origin there. The only people rallying against Origin but dutifully using Steam are the people currently swinging from Gabe's nutsack.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
It won't be released on steam because of restrictive patching terms.
You also won't be able to play it without using our steam knockoff.
Totally unrelated, for realziez.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Fayathon said:
It's a good thing that my Shepard is on my 360 then, because I won't install Origin on my computer.
Pretty much this. Anyway I've played the first two games on the xbox, so I'm certainly playing the final one on there too.
I just wish they were honest about the reasons. (money)

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
thirion1850 said:
Oh no. It's like EA doesn't want my money. Again.

Guess I'll have to make do by using a better service provider with frequent sales, a huge community, run by the equivalent of the benevolent Gods of this medium. The horror!
Yep, time to go buy portal 2 a couple more times.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Reet72 said:
Evilsanta said:
Required to have Origin? Screw that.

Sorry Bioware, You just lost a sale.
Agreed. I'm getting kind of sick of this crap.
I was looking forward to this game, but I'm not gonna deal with EA's bullshit. No sale.

Oh, and another thing-

I've decided BioWare can drop off the face of the earth as well. After this, they will have milked their mass effect udders dry and I expect the studio will stumble around for several years until they eventually close their doors. Probably doing something awful to the mass effect universe in the process.

I've never played a dragon age game, and that appears to be the only other thing they're good for. Looking over their sales, they started out with a small hit and after the sequel the interest appears to be trending down, not enough to sustain them.

Apr 5, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
The blame is once again being laid at Valve's door, with Priestly saying that Steam's restrictive policies regarding downloadable content and interaction with customers. He didn't say that the game would never be available on Steam, but implied that Valve would have to change its policy before that could happen.
You sir, Mr. Priestley are a liar. The fault is not valve's, it is EA's. Don't try to blame someone else because you're a fool. I assure you I won't be buying this on Origin or any other digital platform. If you want my money, put it on steam and stop bit****g and whining. Steam worked for you for YEARS, then suddenly you release Origin, steal your own customers money, lock them out of their legally purchased games and then complain it's Valve's fault.

I hoped BioWare could make it as far as the end of the Mass Effect series before the EA buyout became too evident. That was a misplaced hope. BioWare was a great games developer before EA bought them out, and ME3 is the last title I'll have any faith in and only then because the trilogy was conceptualised before the buyout. Screw you EA and screw Origin. I'll wait for the Steam release. Or maybe just get a physical copy *gasp*.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Gather said:
lowkey_jotunn said:
Gather said:
It's actually Valve that's being the greedy company here (Or well... Both companies being the "greedy company" just Valve being greedier). The "restrictive" polices has nothing to do with spying, it has something to do with the delivery of downloadable content. Valve wants a slice out of those sales as well now.

And Valve SHOULD get a cut of the DLC sales. Valve/Steam is paying to host the content, paying to advertise it and deliver it to you. Why wouldn't they get a part of the profits?

Think if it like a regular store. If Mass Effect DLC was sold at Best Buy, they get a cut.
Except that Mass Effect DLC isn't being sold on Steam. It's being sold on a separate website; bandwidth and all.
Valve just wants the DLC available on steam in addition to wherever else EA wants to sell it. No one forces it to be purchased through Steam. If its carried there, it can be downloaded from Steam's servers. Valve wouldn't get any profit from DLC purchased elsewhere. The Mass Effect DLC purchased with Bioware points, Valve gets none of that.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I wonder if they are going to blame the sale loss resulting from this on "PC gaming dying".

Then again, just because EA is a terrible publisher on several levels, doesn't mean they're UbiSoft.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Marik Bentusi said:
I wonder if they are going to blame the sale loss resulting from this on "PC gaming dying".

Then again, just because EA is a terrible publisher on several levels, doesn't mean they're UbiSoft.
lol. i rather give ubisoft my money then ?A. at least ubis DRM is working fine and i play the AC games without any hassle. they have fixed the constant online crap to offline.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
I will still buy Mass Effect 3. Why should I be against Origin, if I already have given my information to Steam, GFWL and Battle.net? As long as they provide good service in return I see no problem with Origin.

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
Yea, I pre-oredered it. Yea, I pre-ordered the Special Edition. But I'd already decided I was going to play it twice, maybe 3 times like I did with ME2 and then uninstall every trace of Origin.
I mean, I only got it because it's to be the finale to what has thus far been a great series. I'm still vehemently against EA for several reasons, first and foremost being their torture and butchering of the Command And Conquer line. And they don't even have the decency to let the franchise die in peace.
This is the last purchase I am sure I will be making from EA because screw them.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
As long as my saved game from the first two games still carries over from the Steam versions... I could not possibly care any less.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
What a load of BS. Restrictive patching on Steam? Surely, what is keeping back the patches for BF3 (steamless) since weeks isn't origin, EA's policy or consoles. My steam games update like crazy. If the patching was as restrictive as for consoles or more restrictive (and intrusive) than building an own game updater, developers wouldn't patch that often.
In contrast, steam seems to actually be one of the easiest and quickest ways to distribute patches.

Seriously EA, what is wrong with you. Just tell everyone that you want to promote your own digital distribution platform. But why the bitching and backstabbing? Sour much?

But don't worry. I'll buy ME3... eventually when it is on sale for 10 bucks at gamestop or via international reimport because it sure as hell isn't worth 60 bucks to me. 60 is console prices and you are even cutting out the retailers and then again using your own distribution system. It should be more like 35 that way. But I'm sure you'll like the 0 or 3 bucks you make of used sales and reimport.