Mass Effect 3 is now under $30 is it really that bad of a game?

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
dimensional said:
Its been cheap for quite a while I also see that Street Fighter X tekken is now over 50% off in some stores as well basically I dont think people liked what they did so now they are dropping the price to get people to try and buy it.
Is it that people didn't like it or are (like me) waiting for Super SF vs Tekken?...
Then ultimate SSF vs Tekken...
Then Ultimate Premium SSF vs Tekken.
Sorry I worded that badly I was just mentioning sf x tekken whereas when I was saying people saw stuff they didnt like I was referring to ME3 and specifically its ending.

As for whether people are waiting for the updated version of sf x tekken or not im not sure I generally think its just a complete sense of apathy for the product TBH people dont think they are getting a good deal and online is apparently terrible.

I am actually doubtful there will be an updated version I mean it wouldnt surprise me if their was but I dont think there is enough support behind the product to justify it. They should just hurry up and release the new darkstalkers game instead.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
I think it could be a reaction to how many people are complaining about the ending. I mean imagine you have never played the series before, do you really want to invest so much time into a trilogy that, according to everyone has a really bad ending that barely reflects your choices? Half the appeal of Mass Effect is the story.

Okay well maybe like 1/3 story, 1/3 characters and 1/3 gameplay.

...Okay more like 1/5 story, 1/5 characters, 1/5 gameplay, and 2/5 Garrus Vakarian
Haa! Couldn't agree more.

Anyways... the game is not bad, the ending is. Unfortuantly the bad press has completely overshadowed the great reviews the game got and as such it must be struggling. Shame really.

But yeah its been £25 here (UK) for a while now.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
I'll tell you what made me giggle....

EA refused to give GAME ME3 due to game being in debt and a bit of a risk, so GAME had no stock of ME3.

GAME in my town now has more stock of ME3 than it knows what to do with due to quite a few people trading it in.

And it's under £20.
I ROFL'd when I saw it in mine.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's a pretty mediocre game when you judge it as the whole product. At times it's incredible (Tuchanka, Rannoch, deaths of some characters) but Bioware dropped things that made Mass Effect so likeable in order to cater to a wider audience. They basically forgot about the fans who made that game so popular in order to attract Call of Duty players.

Auto-dialogue, catering to multiplayer crowd, terrible side quests, worse visuals than in ME2, less characters, railroading you into situations that shouldn't exist because of the decisions you made in previous games (rachni queen), decisions from previous games that don't matter at all (Collector's base), day one DLC for $10, awkward animations, narrow FOV where your character takes the entire left side of the screen, no holster function, bad controls where one button does 3 things, no clear villain, Kai Lang, Kinect that took so much time and money out of the development, godawful ending that throws away everything Mass Effect was until the last 10 minutes of the game.

Yeah, they dropped the ball on Mass Effect 3. They had it coming. Too bad Mass Effect 3 had to be the game they ruined in order for people to finally start paying attention.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
Well yeah... an early price drop usually indicates falling sales. If a game continues to sell like hot cakes at the full price then why would the publisher drop the price?

As for whether or not it's "really that bad of a game", that's a purely subjective matter.

My opinion of the game as a whole breaks down something like this:
- 90% - Most fun I've ever had with a video game.
- 9% - Meh.
- 1% - Oh God, guys, what are you doing to ME3? What the fuck are you doing!?
Thats my thought. I thought the game was great, doesnt mean I agree for the shit ending it has. But thats was then, this is now, and at $30 I think Im gonna buy it.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Tar Palantir said:
1) Don't play it unless you've played the first 2 games.
That's why I haven't played it yet. And I can't get them because of the fiasco with GAME closing etc.
Which is also why I can't get ME3.
Myeeeh!

Plus, there was the 'HOLY FUCK DAY 1 DLC BOYCOTT ME3' thing that happened.
And there was the ending shitstorm.

Hiding place.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
I'm happy with my full priced purchase of the collectors edition, so would i pick it up at half price? hell yeah.

You'd think the ending was carcinogenic or something by the way people have been going on about it.

Was the ending terrible? Yes.
Did that make the hours of fun i had playing it before the end invalid? No.
I feel like my copy of Mass Effect 3 is defective. It didn't kick my dog, curse my future children, give me herpes or burn all my books.

These have to be standard features, otherwise all the rage and shouting would be very disproportionate to what actually happened if everyone got the same copy I did. And we all know internet people are known for their measured, thought out reactions to things.

pandorum

Mar 22, 2011
Maybe if they spent less time trying to implement the Kinect into the game they could of spent more time fleshing out the end.
The Kinect is a waste of technology and man power, glorified Eye-toy, oh and im not a fan boy Eye-toy sucked major balls to.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
*foam, froth* Yes, yes it is, its a terrible game all around!!! Badly written, badly acted, badly produced, badly presented and badly bad. I'm suing everyone!! *foam, foam!!*

Coming back to snense and reality, no its not. Most retailers go by how popular a title remains, not by its content. An example of this would be Black Ops, a short, bad, laggy, buggy game, but still mind bogglingly sells for £40 even though its been out for 2 years or so.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I think it's just really poorly marketed. I didn't buy it because I knew from the last game that there was going to be an absolute crap ton of DLC to be had, so I'd be better off waiting. I bought Mass Effect 2 from KMart a couple years ago during Black Friday sales for $20, got a $20 xbox live marketplace card for $10, and then all of the DLC went on sale for half price. A couple of months after that, they released it on PS3 with most of the DLC already included on disc, but I essentially got an early game of the year edition for $30.

The other factor is that I've seen nothing in the commercials, reviews, or trailers that suggested to me that this game is going to have some element in it that I haven't seen twice before. The basic gameplay is pretty much the same for however many dozens of hours it takes to beat the game. It never gets significantly more difficult, nor does it require me to even think. Just endless cover-based shooting, pick the asshole option in a dialog sequence, scrounge around for some resources, repeat endlessly.

To be honest, I wasn't exactly crazy about Mass Effect 1 and the only reason I liked 2 was because of the story, new characters, and loyalty missions, which 3 apparently does not have. Multiplayer sounds bland and repetitive and the "combat readiness" meter just sounds so uninspired. I'm sure it's probably a pretty good game (and I really could not give less of a shit about the ending), I just have not seen anything that makes me want to run out and buy it immediately.

Max Payne 3 and Retro City Rampage on the other hand will be a challenge to not purchase immediately, even though I know I should wait for discounts/updates/DLC. (Man, do publishers discourage us from buying their games.)

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Darknacht said:
I just noticed that Amazon is selling Mass Effect 3 for $29.99, its only been out a month and a half, is it really so bad that no one is buying it?
I know most people did not like the ending but most people I have talked to said it was good for the rest of the game, doesn't this seem a little soon for this big of a price drop?
Not really. With the level of hatred that the game is getting from it's fans (ie the people who are most likely to buy such products again, and as a result are the primary money source), the only way they're going to make any profit from this point on is by bringing down the price and getting non-fans to buy it.

Nov 5, 2007
Hey guys, it's a fucking one day sale. Stop acting like you made a huge difference in sales, the game still sold very very well.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Darknacht said:
I just noticed that Amazon is selling Mass Effect 3 for $29.99, its only been out a month and a half, is it really so bad that no one is buying it?
I know most people did not like the ending but most people I have talked to said it was good for the rest of the game, doesn't this seem a little soon for this big of a price drop?
You're complaining about a price drop? Hell I might buy it now that it's cheap rather than carry on waiting to finish ME1/2 again.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Price is hardly indicative of quality. It probably just means a whole bunch of the millions who bought the game returned it.

One who is SmarterThanYou has spoken.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
I'm happy with my full priced purchase of the collectors edition, so would i pick it up at half price? hell yeah.

You'd think the ending was carcinogenic or something by the way people have been going on about it.

I feel like my copy of Mass Effect 3 is defective. It didn't kick my dog, curse my future children, give me herpes or burn all my books.

These have to be standard features, otherwise all the rage and shouting would be very disproportionate to what actually happened if everyone got the same copy I did. And we all know internet people are known for their measured, thought out reactions to things.
Haha.. Because the game came out 3 days later in the UK than in the US I had already heard awful awful things about the ending. So when i actually got to it i was pleasantly surprised to see it was just very poorly done rather than it being some lovecraftian horror that would rape me of my sanity like people had been making out.

So for anyone completing the game just now i imagine most will just think "huh? was that it?"

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
This is part of Amazon's gold box deal, and ME3 is the deal of the day. That's why it's so low in price.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Devoneaux said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:

Haha.. Because the game came out 3 days later in the UK than in the US I had already heard awful awful things about the ending. So when i actually got to it i was pleasantly surprised to see it was just very poorly done rather than it being some lovecraftian horror that would rape me of my sanity like people had been making out.

So for anyone completing the game just now i imagine most will just think "huh? was that it?"
The hype lowered your expectations and softened the blow. You're welcome.
I would give thanks to the hype machine for lowering my expectations but it's a bit of a double edged sword given that the hype machine heightened everyone elses expectations in the first place which is what made mine get lowered.. or something.. ahhh that's complicated.