Mass Effect 3 is now under $30 is it really that bad of a game?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Exactly! And with the amazing Indoctrination theory (Which I still believe, regardless. Hell, it makes more sense than anything else!) I am eagerly playing through all the games again with that theory in mind.
:p I do agree that the Indoctrination Theory does wrap up a lot of holes left open by the Literal Interpretation, however there's still too many holes in the IT for me to accept it as valid. Though I do think the parallels between Saren and The Illusive Man are too solid to ignore, the only real difference between them is that Saren wanted to appease the Reapers while TIM wanted to control them. However, both became absolutely obsessed with Indoctrination towards the end of their lives, both thought their actions were for the greater good, and both can be talked into blowing their own heads off. :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You definitely will need to play the first two before you play the third if you haven't already.

In any case ME3 is probably worth 30 bucks. I only played it twice as the ending ruined its replayability for me, but then I rarely play many games more than twice anyway.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Game is awesome, especially if you played the first two and know the background on the Geth/Quarians and also the Krogan Genophage stuff. People are just bitching about the end, think they need to get over it. Yes its was disappointing, but i just sold my game and moved on to something else.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Zhukov said:
Well yeah... an early price drop usually indicates falling sales. If a game continues to sell like hot cakes at the full price then why would the publisher drop the price?

As for whether or not it's "really that bad of a game", that's a purely subjective matter.

My opinion of the game as a whole breaks down something like this:
- 90% - Most fun I've ever had with a video game.
- 9% - Meh.
- 1% - Oh God, guys, what are you doing to ME3? What the fuck are you doing!?
Pretty much this. Most of the game was good but the ending pretty much stabs the story line repeatedly with a rusty spork. The gameplay is still good no matter what but ME is such a story driven series that gameplay cannot salvage it completely.

Stemer

Nov 22, 2011
If you liked the first 2 then definitely get it.
If you didn't like or didn't play the first 2 don't bother.
Also can we stop calling it the best or worst game ever made, because it really isn't either.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
TrilbyWill said:
Tar Palantir said:
1) Don't play it unless you've played the first 2 games.
That's why I haven't played it yet. And I can't get them because of the fiasco with GAME closing etc.
Which is also why I can't get ME3.
Myeeeh!

Plus, there was the 'HOLY FUCK DAY 1 DLC BOYCOTT ME3' thing that happened.
And there was the ending shitstorm.

Hiding place.
Gotcha, you bastard.

Even if the game isn't really that bad, most of the media attention it has received has centered around the ending.
Demand has probably lowered a good bit even though the rest of the game might be good.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
It's probably the best game that came out this year, it just had a less then stellar ending.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
It's an incredible game, it's only the ending that gets much hate (apart from the whole DLC thing, anyway). In fact the only reason there has been so much of an uproar about the ending is because the rest was so great.

I definitely recommend you buy it, but when you get lifted up on a glowing white platform just switch the game off. I went in expecting the worst and still managed to be greatly disappointed. It's bad in such a specifically awful way that it devalues the rest of the game, so you're better off not experiencing it at all.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
THE GAME IS ON SALE, it has nothing to do with the quality. Its just Amazon's way to clear out some stock. It happens with almost every mayor game after a few weeks (I even have Amazon's deals as a bookmark to check it daily)...

In the topic of quality, no. The game is not bad. Not by a long shot. Its a fitting end to a great saga... Its well worth the 60 dollars tag, let alone a 30 dollars one. Whether you wish to listen to my opinion or the opinion of the hordes of crying babies around is up to you, but it needs to be said.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Exactly! And with the amazing Indoctrination theory (Which I still believe, regardless. Hell, it makes more sense than anything else!) I am eagerly playing through all the games again with that theory in mind.
:p I do agree that the Indoctrination Theory does wrap up a lot of holes left open by the Literal Interpretation, however there's still too many holes in the IT for me to accept it as valid. Though I do think the parallels between Saren and The Illusive Man are too solid to ignore, the only real difference between them is that Saren wanted to appease the Reapers while TIM wanted to control them. However, both became absolutely obsessed with Indoctrination towards the end of their lives, both thought their actions were for the greater good, and both can be talked into blowing their own heads off. :p
Quick question, what are the plot-holes to the indoctrination theory anyhow? I keep hearing about them but no one goes into specifics >.<
The plot-holes with IT are as follows:

<spoiler=Problems with IT>1: Perhaps the biggest one is that the IT implies that the series/Shepard's story doesn't end with the end of the Reapers. If the IT is true, then that means that 2 out of the 3 possible endings lead to Shepard losing and the Reapers winning. This itself is flawed because if Shepard loses and the Reapers win, why is the Star Gazer scene (which implies that Shepard was indeed the Galactic Jesus who killed for your sins and saved the galaxy forever and always) still playing even if you pick one of the endings that leads to Shepard becoming Indoctrinated and thus losing the war?

2: It has been argued that everything Shepard sees after making his choice are just hallucinations and images of victory that the Reapers show Shepard in order to placate him. Weeeelllllll if he picked the right choice and broke free from Indoctrination...why bother showing him such images when he's moments away from regaining consciousness and seeing "Oh shit...everything I just saw was a dream...we're still getting out asses kicked!"?

3: As I mentioned, the IT implies that the war isn't over. Even if Shepard does pick right and breaks free...since everything that happened after Shepard gets blasted apparently happens in his head, doesn't that mean that none of the endings actually happen? The Reapers are still out there reaping and killing the crap outta everyone. Shepard has been mortally wounded and is currently laying in a pile of rubble, the entire galactic fleet was betting on a gamble with the Crucible, they could hold the Reapers off while the Crucible was being put into place, but everyone knew that in a straight-up battle even the entire galactic fleet would crumble before the Reaper fleet. If the IT is true, the Crucible was never fired, the battle to gain access to the Citadel was never won, and the Reapers essentially do what they do best.

In short, as choppy and full of holes as it is, the Literal Interpretation is the only interpretation that actually allows for an end to Shepard's story and the war with the Reapers.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
dimensional said:
GonzoGamer said:
dimensional said:
Its been cheap for quite a while I also see that Street Fighter X tekken is now over 50% off in some stores as well basically I dont think people liked what they did so now they are dropping the price to get people to try and buy it.
Is it that people didn't like it or are (like me) waiting for Super SF vs Tekken?...
Then ultimate SSF vs Tekken...
Then Ultimate Premium SSF vs Tekken.
Sorry I worded that badly I was just mentioning sf x tekken whereas when I was saying people saw stuff they didnt like I was referring to ME3 and specifically its ending.

As for whether people are waiting for the updated version of sf x tekken or not im not sure I generally think its just a complete sense of apathy for the product TBH people dont think they are getting a good deal and online is apparently terrible.

I am actually doubtful there will be an updated version I mean it wouldnt surprise me if their was but I dont think there is enough support behind the product to justify it. They should just hurry up and release the new darkstalkers game instead.
Good point but I never put it past Capcom to milk a dead horse.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Tar Palantir said:
It was reported on the official forum, many people returned their copy to Amazon because of the ending.....that's voting with your wallet!

About the game...

1) Don't play it unless you've played the first 2 games.

2) IMO, the game was 90% perfect...until the horror...the horror...

3) I really do not know weather to recomment it or not. As I said, it's a really good game, it has the best combat system and emotional impact of the three, but the ending can potentially ruin everything you did before it, including the other two games, not to mention the risk of depression (not even joking).

In hindsight, the really good moments of the journey can potentially overshadow the ending...I just pretend it never happened xD
I'm already doing that with Red Dead Redemption, although I didn't get depressed, just about as angry as I'd ever been at a villain in a game.

GTAIV was depressing though.

What is it with Rockstar these days?

Maybe when the ending DLC comes out, and if it really does turn out to be free, then I'll buy the game. Used.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Devoneaux said:
Let me put it this way.

If you were having a wonderful, WONDERFUL blowjob from a prostitute and right before you finished, she bit down onto you and wouldn't let go for a full minute, would you still be willing to recommend her to your friends?
BECAUSE THAT SITUATION IS TOTALLY COMPARABLE TO A SUB PAR ENDING OF A VIDEO GAME, RIGHT GAIS?!?

Give me a break. It's no where near that bad, and the rest of the game is so damn awesome that telling someone NOT to try it is doing that person a disservice.
I completely agree, and I am amazed that it went down in price so quickly, which is a real shame.
The Blue Rider said:
What you dont know is that I too am a dick.
I AM NOW INITIATING DICK TO DICK COMBAT

..wait that doesnt sound right
You'd be amazed at how often that LITERALLY happens in the animal kingdom.