Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, Ending DLC Details Leak

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
BioWare, loose the Star Child. And, seriously, multiplayer on Earth? You spent 3 games building a huge, not yet fully explored universe and all you can do is this place? At least it isn't New York. And only new HUMAN classes? Really? I'm still waiting for the Hanar/Volus/Elcor DLC :p

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
Storm Dragon said:
I would like to offer a rebuttal to all of the people assuming that the ending DLC is going to suck:

Remember why you used to like BioWare and the Mass Effect series. It wasn't for the gameplay, no one would have finished ME1 if that were the case, it was for the writing. Mass Effect 3 may have tripped over its own feet face-first into a pile of broken glass within spitting distance of the finish line, but up until that point, the game was golden. Mordin's sacrifice at the shroud, the final moments of Thane's life, and just shooting bottles with Garrus. All of these moments really made me feel something, and that's not even getting into their other games.

Yes, the ending to ME3 was bad; yes, there is no guarantee that they can fix it; and yes, maybe they will fail; but BioWare has some damn good writers, and if the ending can be fixed, I think they can do it. So I'm still giving them another chance to make things right, and I think you should do the same.

And if it does suck, the DLC isn't going to cost you anything but time, so what have you got to lose?
The quality of Bioware's writing has actually visibly declined over time, first off KOTOR (need I say more?), Mass Effect 1 was excellent and compelling story wise, Mass Effect 2 was mostly good, but not quite as much as the first, I've heard hate for Dragon Age 2 despite having never played it myself, and Mass Effect 3 is carried only by fan service.

Nothing really happens in the game except the characters occasionally doing something funny or referencing previous missions in previous games. That may be good, but it's supposed to be in addition to an actual compelling story. Never mind the fact that the ending invalidates it anyway.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Frankly it is too late for EAWare in my opinion. They lost me as a fan and I have boycotted all games that have EA labeled on them.

As long as this content is still free I will download it and watch it. But I am 99% sure that the content will not subside the huge mess they made with the original content with their *Artistic Integrity*

Some could say Twilight has artistic Integrity, doesn't stop it from being a load of BS though.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
DustyDrB said:
Starke said:
DustyDrB said:
Ugh...leaks. The thing partially responsible for the ending we got in the first place.
Eh, a big source problem was Hudson going, "ah ken rite gud."

Anyway, I literally haven't even fired up ME3 in months. I really don't give two flying fucks at this point. If they actually went back and redid it, maybe I'd care, but until then, Bioware passed the point of no return for me.
I mean they had a different ending planned, but it was leaked. And then people read it (People who I can't imagine being big fans of the series if they spoil the final game for themselves months before it comes out) and ridiculed the script. And then BioWare changed it.

It's not wholly responsible (which is why I said "partially" responsible earlier). Hudson still decided to take over the writing at the very end. But it plays a role.
Ultimately, though, that was Hudson's call. "Oh god, people leaked the ending, I must rite gud so the spoiled ending doesn't end up being the actual ending."

I mean, what you're saying is legitimate up to the point where Hudson was the one who decided to rewrite the ending. He decided he wanted to tell the ending he wanted, and not the one that Drew Karpyshn(sp?) wrote for the series. At that point; pointing fingers and saying that the script was leaked doesn't really matter, the EP stepped in and rewrote the ending because he wanted to. He only justified it by saying it was leaked and they needed to give fans a fresh ending.

Quite frankly, that's bullshit. If an ending's good, it will stand on its own, spoiled or not. Mass Effect 3's ending was certainly not.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Woodsey said:
Waaghpowa said:
Well by the looks of it, Indoctrination is out the window. Funny, because it would have been an easy out for Bioware. Either they really intended on that shit ending, or they're massively incompetent.
None of what's quoted gives that impression. In fact, it just says what we already pretty much knew. There'll be a few more scenes.
If it weren't, I doubt Bioware would need to use additional scenes to show it. They could have just come out and said "Yes, all you indoctrination people were right" and leave it at that.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
Woodsey said:
Waaghpowa said:
Well by the looks of it, Indoctrination is out the window. Funny, because it would have been an easy out for Bioware. Either they really intended on that shit ending, or they're massively incompetent.
None of what's quoted gives that impression. In fact, it just says what we already pretty much knew. There'll be a few more scenes.
If it weren't, I doubt Bioware would need to use additional scenes to show it. They could have just come out and said "Yes, all you indoctrination people were right" and leave it at that.
Given the outcry, it's not that surprising. Likewise, if it is true, then it was played quite cleverly (as a sequence, as an ending it is crap) and they'll probably want to do their own bit of work justice anyway.

And come on, big black tentacle-y lines, screen distortion, Reaper sounds, Shep clutching his head. IN DOCK TREE NATE ED. Oh, and waking up in London town.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Woodsey said:
Given the outcry, it's not that surprising. Likewise, if it is true, then it was played quite cleverly (as a sequence, as an ending it is crap) and they'll probably want to do their own bit of work justice anyway.

And come on, big black tentacle-y lines, screen distortion, Reaper sounds, Shep clutching his head. IN DOCK TREE NATE ED. Oh, and waking up in London town.
And for some reason, I still suspect we'll all be disappointed.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Yeah, sorry Bioware I have already moved on from the failed ending. I am sure I will download it as it's free just to see what they did, but I can't say I particularly care very much any more.

Stripes said:
You cant 'fix' an ending since the original has already ruined it, it was a poor and rushed ending which made no sense and theres no fixing that. We cant change that it happened or that it is the real 'canon' ending and thats unfortunate.

However im still angry at Moviebob for making a massive fuss over people wanting it change, using it as an opportunity to talk from his high horse and condemn the entire industry, before admitting he had not played the games nor had he bothered to even watch the endings. Im amazed people dont have as huge a problem with such unprofessional-ism. He had the arrogance to assume he understood the entire issue based of off what must have been a very brief glance at the situation. In my opinion that behaviour, from a guy who pretends to care about the industry, is unnaceptable and is what is really "holding us back" if anything is.
Reminds me of all the idiotic UK politicians who joined in a debate over TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson who jokingly (and strong emphasis on jokingly) said that people who strike should be shot in front of their families.

Some people took it seriously, repeatedly quoted it out of context to make it sound like it wasn't a joke, and then the politicians joined in condemning him. Only later did they admit they hadn't even bloody seen it for themselves.

captain_dalan

Feb 1, 2011
Metalrocks said:
HellenicWarrior said:
I just want the pain to stop :( Don't release anything else for Mass Effect 3 anymore, please :'( I've never been more saddened by a game in my life
you are not alone. i havent touched the game since i have finished it. only played it once, and dont feel like playing it again or even the first 2 games.
to me, ME has the worst ending in gaming history.
I practically gave up on them. No big deal really. There are other good games out there. I just finished the SP of European Escalation and i am thinking of either replaying Skyrim or starting up Assassin's Creed :)

Maybe even giving Torment another go :D

Storm Dragon said:
And if it does suck, the DLC isn't going to cost you anything but time, so what have you got to lose?
Time. I'm no longer in high school or at the university. I have a regular job, i'm in the 30's and there is a European Football Championship going on. I'll just watch the cutscenes on tube or something (in Bio's own words this is all there is going to be to this DLC anyway, cutscenes and text).

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
FogHornG36 said:
Whats a Paladin?
A joke that references another game, which happens to be the last title in ANOTHER game series that EA buttfucked.
Well so far, from what I've seen and in that review, at least ME3 was mostly consistent with it's story and characters up until the end. By the looks of things, Ultima IX threw everything out the window from the very start.

OT: I'm really not sure how to feel about the extended ending. I guess I should be happy that they're finally going to make my choices worth a damn. I just... I don't know. It's hard to describe how I feel in words about this.

ASan83

Mar 11, 2011
Rariow said:
BioWare, loose the Star Child. And, seriously, multiplayer on Earth? You spent 3 games building a huge, not yet fully explored universe and all you can do is this place? At least it isn't New York. And only new HUMAN classes? Really? I'm still waiting for the Hanar/Volus/Elcor DLC :p
I know. I want to be a Biotic God, damn it.

OT: I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with the ending DLC. I mean, it's not like it can make things worse, right? Right?

Oh, and the multiplayer stuff. That gets a resounding 'Meh' from me.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
captain_dalan said:
Metalrocks said:
HellenicWarrior said:
I just want the pain to stop :( Don't release anything else for Mass Effect 3 anymore, please :'( I've never been more saddened by a game in my life
you are not alone. i havent touched the game since i have finished it. only played it once, and dont feel like playing it again or even the first 2 games.
to me, ME has the worst ending in gaming history.
I practically gave up on them. No big deal really. There are other good games out there. I just finished the SP of European Escalation and i am thinking of either replaying Skyrim or starting up Assassin's Creed :)

Maybe even giving Torment another go :D
im just pissed off because i really spend a lot of money for this franchise. got my self the CE for ME2 and 3, got all the DLCs for ME2, got the soundtracks from itunes and suddenly we get this.

good thing i have other games to play. max payne 3 will keep me busy for a wile but still heart broken about the ME3 ending.
like i siad, if the DLC fails, i will throw away the games and pretend they never existed. just have to accept the loss and that %%&/ç*"*+ ?A is happy with my money they stole from me.

survivor686

Jan 15, 2012
Perhaps we shall hold our judgement till the DLC actually comes out? Who knows perhaps Bioware will knock the ball out of the park with the EC?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Cool. I am excited to get back to the ending and start raging again after seeing the new stuff. Hopefully I get over it in less than a day this time. Also Multiplayer stuff sounds sweet.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Starke said:
DustyDrB said:
Starke said:
DustyDrB said:
Ugh...leaks. The thing partially responsible for the ending we got in the first place.
Eh, a big source problem was Hudson going, "ah ken rite gud."

Anyway, I literally haven't even fired up ME3 in months. I really don't give two flying fucks at this point. If they actually went back and redid it, maybe I'd care, but until then, Bioware passed the point of no return for me.
I mean they had a different ending planned, but it was leaked. And then people read it (People who I can't imagine being big fans of the series if they spoil the final game for themselves months before it comes out) and ridiculed the script. And then BioWare changed it.

It's not wholly responsible (which is why I said "partially" responsible earlier). Hudson still decided to take over the writing at the very end. But it plays a role.
Ultimately, though, that was Hudson's call. "Oh god, people leaked the ending, I must rite gud so the spoiled ending doesn't end up being the actual ending."

I mean, what you're saying is legitimate up to the point where Hudson was the one who decided to rewrite the ending. He decided he wanted to tell the ending he wanted, and not the one that Drew Karpyshn(sp?) wrote for the series. At that point; pointing fingers and saying that the script was leaked doesn't really matter, the EP stepped in and rewrote the ending because he wanted to. He only justified it by saying it was leaked and they needed to give fans a fresh ending.

Quite frankly, that's bullshit. If an ending's good, it will stand on its own, spoiled or not. Mass Effect 3's ending was certainly not.
To be fair, the original ending wasn't particularly good either. I'd say it was even worse than the one we got, as impossible as that sounds.

Truth be honest, I don't think the Extended Cut will stop the complaining. People whinged about this game before it was out, they whinged while they were playing it, and they took whinging to new levels when they finished it. I'd be happy with a decent epilogue, and I'm happy with the game, which is absolutely incredible save for those last disappointing minutes. We'll just have to accept that the Mass Effect fandom has now, and forever will be regressed to the same level of butthurt self-pity that the Star Wars fandom became circa The Phantom Menace.

bat32391

Oct 19, 2011
So it looks like their keeping their stupid Gilligan's Island crap aren't they? Whatever I think I'll go New Vegas again.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
So,the ending will still rip off Deus Ex wholesale, Contradict every plot point in the game, Screw over every character,and Make your choices meaningless. But we'll have a five minute epilogue? Sign me up.

So, How long until Bioware goes the way of Origin, Maxis, Westwood and Bullfrog?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kingjackl said:
To be fair, the original ending wasn't particularly good either. I'd say it was even worse than the one we got, as impossible as that sounds.
Oh, I believe it. As much vitriol as I've lobbed at the third game I've lobbed just as much, if not more at the second. Drew whateverthefuck is in the same tier of "ah kin rite gud" as Hudson as far as I'm concerned, though there is a disturbing possibility that he might be slightly better.

Kingjackl said:
Truth be honest, I don't think the Extended Cut will stop the complaining. People whinged about this game before it was out, they whinged while they were playing it, and they took whinging to new levels when they finished it. I'd be happy with a decent epilogue, and I'm happy with the game, which is absolutely incredible save for those last disappointing minutes. We'll just have to accept that the Mass Effect fandom has now, and forever will be regressed to the same level of butthurt self-pity that the Star Wars fandom became circa The Phantom Menace.
Remembering of course that with The Phantom Menace, a lot of fans simply upped and moved on? I mean, you can point to the ones that cried and make your jokes, but Star Wars as a brand did take a serious body blow from the prequels and endless recuts to the original trilogy.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MrMan999 said:
So, How long until Bioware goes the way of Origin, Maxis, Westwood and Bullfrog?
With the TORtanic rapidly taking on water, they're on borrowed time.

But, all jokes aside, they're not in good shape. TOR has failed to meet expectations, and is rapidly sinking. It was also the fastest selling MMO in history, so it seems those expectations weren't exactly reasonable, but at the same time their retention was so bad: they had to resort to using incentives and hiding the cancel subscription button.

And while I'm not too inclined to put too much stock in it, I keep hearing that PvP is now worse than ever, and for an MMO that's a major chunk of it's population, and in the case of TOR, PvP is their endgame content, basically. And every time I've looked in on TOR since the open betas, I've seen nothing but waves of nearly empty servers.

Mass Effect 3 made money, but not the kind of money they were looking for, otherwise they wouldn't have been coughing up free DLC for it, and they wouldn't have loaded in all those double XP weekends at launch. The backlash for ME3 has been so bad there hasn't been any paid DLC yet, with the exception of the day 0 stuff.

Dragon Age 2 apparently did well, but also failed to live up to expectations, and I kinda suspect the tail for it has been terrible, as they've gone back and canceled all subsequent DLC releases for it.

That leaves us with, what?

They're not talking about doing another Mass Effect game yet, and E3 would have been the place to do that, even if it's just a teaser to get people talking. They've talked about DA3, but that's been very vague. And we're hearing now that TOR will be celebrating it's first anniversary by going F2P. Making it about half as successful as Star Trek Online in that regard.

I'm going to take out my crystal ball and say 18 months to two years. But as a name, I think it's going to be slapped on TOR and kept there indefinitely, until the MMO closes, sorta like how EA keeps slapping the Westwood name on every C&C game that rolls to market. How long will TOR last as a F2P MMO? I've no idea, probably years if EA can find a way to make it profitable.