Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Trailer Goes "Special Forces"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Trailer Goes "Special Forces"

The new Mass Effect 3 "Special Forces" trailer shows off the classes and races that will go to war in the multiplayer mode of BioWare's upcoming sci-fi epic.

I'm still not entirely clear on how a "one man against the galaxy" RPG mutates into a multiplayer online shooter over the course of two sequels, but at least now I have some idea about how it'll work. And from the looks of this trailer, it'll work pretty much like every other team-based multiplayer online shooter: different classes working together to accomplish a mission-based goal.

The twist, I guess, is that along with the various classes, players will also be able to suit up as one of the game's primary races - Human, Turian, Asari, Salarian, Krogan, Quarian and Drell - each of which will presumably bring unique strengths to particular classes. Don't quote me on that, but it seems to me that if I need a top-notch Infiltrator to get some stealth work done, I'm probably not going to go looking for a Krogan to do it.

Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327686917&sr=8-1] comes out on March 6 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC. Hopefully by then I'll be able to figure out why Shepard's omni-blade makes that metallic "shink" sound when he turns it on.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
That actually seems kinda neat. However, Dead Island taught me to never trust a trailer, so I'll wait and see before I make any final judgement.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Regarding "How did we go from a one man army to online multiplayer?" The story behind ME 3 is that the Reaper invasion has officially begun. The galaxy is officially in all-out war. No more hiding behind denial of the Reaper threat, you're fighting for your life.

Regarding the metallic "shink" sound, maybe Shepard just programed that sound effect into his omni-tool because he likes the sound, kinda like a ring-tone. :3

Regarding the Multiplayer as a whole, someone posted on the boards that they had actually gotten to play a rather extensive amount of ME 3 and said that he was disappointed with the multiplayer as it seemed pretty much like a co-op survival mode such as Horde in Gears and Firefight in Halo. I'm hoping that will not be the case in the end, but if it turns out to be that way, I'll be pretty disappointed as well.

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
That actually seems kinda neat. However, Dead Island taught me to never trust a trailer, so I'll wait and see before I make any final judgement.
True but that was pre-rendered cinematics this is gameplay, but I can't see the future so I'll judge it when I play it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Say, Bioware, why don't you talk about what you've done to EDI, hmm? :mad:

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q625/chassan1/scan0001.jpg

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Interesting trailer, but not going to trust it enough to decide on getting this game at launch or not (Origin still remains enough of a deterrent).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
RJ 17 said:
Regarding "How did we go from a one man army to online multiplayer?" The story behind ME 3 is that the Reaper invasion has officially begun. The galaxy is officially in all-out war. No more hiding behind denial of the Reaper threat, you're fighting for your life.
I was really more talking about the fundamental shift in gameplay. Would you make an epic, 60-hour single-player RPG out of Team Fortress?

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
I was worried the co-op would be shoehorned in, but this looks like a blast, even better than Uncharted 3 co-op. I'm also hyped since Quarians will be in the multiplayer. I've survived the wait this long, but this is becoming painful now.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
RJ 17 said:
I was really more talking about the fundamental shift in gameplay. Would you make an epic, 60-hour single-player RPG out of Team Fortress?
Actually, if it had a storyline similar to the Meet the Team videos, hell yes I would like that. Each hat could have stats that affect your character. And it would already have a leg up from the Rogue/Fighter/Mage system by having nine classes that each play different.

It would be like Borderlands, except with a more coherent story.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
RJ 17 said:
Yeah, imagine that! Turning Team Fortress 2 into a massive grinding game with more focus on character personalisation and hoarding loot than actually playing. With hats.

Seriously though, is that a trick question? Because I would totally do that to Team Fortress anyway.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
[
It bothers me, it really does. I just hope to God my beloved single player hasn't been compromised.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
this looks horrible. How did we go from the first game to this? Wow..I am literally amazed at how bland shittiness from Madden and COD have bled over into bioware...thanks alot EA.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
RJ 17 said:
Can't say that I would, however despite the connection that this multi-player will have with the single-player campaign, Bioware has said numerous times that the the multi-player is not manditory to get to the best ending in single-player. You can wholely ignore the MP and never even touch it, in the grand scheme of things it'll have no effect on the story's outcome. So to me at least, the MP seems more like something extra they were wanting to try out. To put it in Cave Johnson's words: "We're throwing science at the wall and seeing what sticks."

That said, the multiplayer seems like it's one of two things: either tacked on as mandated by EA (which is what a lot of people believe) just so they have an excuse to sell more EA online-passes for people who buy the game used/rent it, or it could simply be fan-service for all the people (and from what I've seen after the release of ME 2, there was quite a large number) inquiring about making some Mass Effect co-op. I think such fans would be looking more for integrating co-op into the actual main story, but this does seem like an acceptable middle-ground. A co-op that /can/ affect the single player story, but isn't entirely necessary to complete the single player story.

But either way, I do understand and even agree with your point about it being strange that a traditionally single-player game now suddenly has a multi-player function. I'm just saying that technically it does fit within the context of the story line. :p

AMAZED

Dec 6, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
RJ 17 said:
That could be awesome if it was done right.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
This just makes me want ME3 more.
I'm going to have to, extremely grudgingly, allow Origin on my PC. *choking on my own bile*

Ahhh, now to choose between Krogan, Salarian, or Turian. Choices, choices.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
Krogan Vanguard will be my main, I'm sure of it.

The most interesting thing about this trailer is that now we're getting non-Husk dismemberment. That sniper headshot @ 0:49 is the first time I've seen an enemy's head explode from such a shot. And you can bet that'll be in the single player too. Hoo boy, I can't wait! 39 DAYS!