Mass Effect 3 PC will require Orgin

Chaos Marine

New member
Feb 6, 2008
571
0
0
Till Origin opts out on scanning my computer's set of HDDs, hardware in general and the software on it, I'm not going to bother with it. I know Steam does the same but the difference is, Steam only scans the folders in the Steam folder to prevent cheating and it ASKS the user if they'd like to participate in a hardware survey. Big difference.
 

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
1,314
0
0
sigh, another thread for people to grossly exaggerate how invasive origin is and pretend that many other thing aren't just as nosy, while also bowing at the feet of holy steam and its flawlessness(lolno). people seem to be unaware that others have looked at what Origin accesses and it isn't that much, certainly less then what steam asks to take in those pointless "we want every scrap of information on your PC, and no we wont tell you why" surveys. this news is unsurprising and will not make me think twice about getting ME3 the second it launches.
 

Supernova1138

New member
Oct 24, 2011
408
0
0
I'm still going to buy it, I'll just have to either Sandbox Origin, or get the inevitable no Origin crack. I have no interest in multiplayer, so playing a cracked version isn't an issue for me. Thank you EA for adding some extra steps I have to go through to play the game.
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
major_chaos said:
sigh, another thread for people to grossly exaggerate how invasive origin is and pretend that many other thing aren't just as nosy, while also bowing at the feet of holy steam and its flawlessness(lolno). people seem to be unaware that others have looked at what Origin accesses and it isn't that much, certainly less then what steam asks to take in those pointless "we want every scrap of information on your PC, and no we wont tell you why" surveys. this news is unsurprising and will not make me think twice about getting ME3 the second it launches.
Well, find the information and post it here. I'm not saying you're wrong. I really don't know. I would love for this to not be a controversial thing so we can have the warm fuzziness of everyone enjoying an awesome game at the same time (pretty much how it was here when ME2 was released. The criticism only really started months later).

Don't just brush people's concerns aside, though. If you have information to the contrary, share it.
 

xPixelatedx

New member
Jan 19, 2011
1,316
0
0
Lordmarkus said:
xPixelatedx said:
God guys, just bite the bullet and get it for your Xbox/PS3. You should have one of those in this day and age unless you are somehow trying to avoid 90% of games made in this century. And this is Mass Effect, not BF3. You aren't going to see a night and day difference in graphics by using a console.
1. Accept that some people don't want a restricted 8-year old computer. I only got one because I found one dirt-cheap and wanted to finish the Gears trilogy.

2. 90 %? Try 5 % of all of the western games made the last 10 years.

3. Understand that our Shepards won't magicly appear in our imaginary console-boxes just because we wish so damn hard.

4. Accept that compared to the PC, the controls for Console Mass Effect are incredibly clunky.

5. Accept that some people doesn't want bloated mega-corporations to nift through their personal data.

6. Stop being an arse because you don't understand that some people don't want neither a console or forced spyware on their comps.
First off I didn't say anything that could even remotly be contributed to condoning origin, I just outright said 'don't play it on the PC and you'll be fine'. Also if that number you gave (5%) is more accurate then mine and basically every game was made for the PC to (I am not counting emulation), and given what I know PC's are capable of... shouldn't PC gaming be doing better and not worse then the consoles right now? I mean, you can't even find PC games at most places, and the places that do sell them have selections that are being scaled down each year. I know that's in part to digital distribution, but also that's not entirely the reason as many people in the gaming business have discussed in countless blogs and articles. And as much as you might like to disagree with them (I am sure you do already) the very fact that PC games are now suffering because they are made more as ports from consoles (instead of the other way around) is just more bad news for PC gaming. Unless it's a game that offers something it's console counterpart doesn't (like the million+ mods skyrim is getting or the amazing visuals BF3 has) chances are the console sales are going to trample the PC sales out of existence.

I also in no way said the console is better then the PC, I simply what to remind people that if you are a fan of gaming, chances are you have a console of some kind so you can play the rest of the existing library gaming has to offer (Like Zelda, mario, Halo and God of war etc.). In this day and age it's bizarre if you don't have at least one console (that's like saying you don't have a cel-phone), and that said it is kind of snooty to make an absolute deceleration that 'you MUST play ME3 on a PC' and simultaneously complain about it being full of spy-ware when you have a perfectly usable backup sitting right next to you the whole time. I didn't tell anyone to go out and buy an xbox, but if you have one there really isn't a reason to complain, the game doesn't look that much better on a PC you are still getting the same experience when you play it on your TV.

I also realize you won't be able to import your Shepards from PC to console, in which case you are going to have to choose either spyware and game imports, or no spyware and no game imports. Thankfully this is not something I will have to worry about.

I have not yet played Mass Effect; I have been waiting for all three to be out so I could play them back to back. I went to go pick up both 1 and 2 and even after constant pestering from friends to get it on the PC, I got them on the xbox. The reason being that was all around the time there was so much DRM controversy for what ever games were currently out. I have been noticing this crap has been getting worse every year. Just one of many things that constantly pushes me away from PC gaming, and I had a feeling by the time ME3 was out, something even more horrible would come through the tubes, and I was right.
 

TotalerKrieger

New member
Nov 12, 2011
376
0
0
I will simply wait for the pirates to come up with a crack, then play my legally purchased copy of ME3 without such corporate manipulations.
 

Veldrenor

New member
Jan 5, 2010
28
0
0
Buying Mass Effect 3 for console instead of PC will not get EA to change the Origin policy. Boycotting the Mass Effect franchise will not get EA to change the Origin policy. Boycotting the Battlefield franchise, the Crysis franchise, the Dragon Age franchise, the Dead Space franchise, or many of EA's other titles will not get EA to change the Origin policy. The only people who get hurt are the developers of such titles. After all, EA's practically got a monopoly on the sports gaming market. Their general policy is that everything else is just niche market chump-change in comparison.
 

Kahunaburger

New member
May 6, 2011
4,141
0
0
Veldrenor said:
Buying Mass Effect 3 for console instead of PC will not get EA to change the Origin policy. Boycotting the Mass Effect franchise will not get EA to change the Origin policy. Boycotting the Battlefield franchise, the Crysis franchise, the Dragon Age franchise, the Dead Space franchise, or many of EA's other titles will not get EA to change the Origin policy. The only people who get hurt are the developers of such titles. After all, EA's practically got a monopoly on the sports gaming market. Their general policy is that everything else is just niche market chump-change in comparison.
I think it's less a boycott and more a "why am I installing spyware on my computer to play this game when I could have other games and no spyware instead?"
 

3asytarg3t

Senior Member
Jun 8, 2010
118
0
21
I just finished deleting Origin, BF3 and ME2 (that last one was free with BF3, never played it).

There is nothing on my HD by EA, and from this point forward there never will be.

If game developers use this publisher, I won't buy their game.

If I'm going to complain in an earlier thread about all the misbehavior by EA over the years, I've also got to back it up.
 

salinv

New member
Mar 17, 2010
133
0
0
zumbledum said:
and of course if you want the most obvious example of why social profiling isn't a good thing , go ask the Jews about 1930/40's Germany.
I was really hoping someone would call Reductio ad Hitlerum on this and just quit the topic... Oh well, I guess I can leave disappointed.

OT: I honestly don't mind it much. I already planned on buying this for my PC, and I will be picking up the disc when it is released in a few months. Origin doesn't really do anything that others haven't done before. Facebook even collects information about you that you don't even offer it - I have seen it suggest knowledge of me that I know I didn't directly tell it. Google takes your location and saves all of your previous searches to tailor your search results to you, for better or worse; either it makes your life easier, or it's censorship of the information you might find other wise. This isn't stuff you told it explicitly, and you don't even "sign" a terms of service for it.

If you care enough about it, don't buy the game and opt out of the service Origin provides. Simple as that.
 

Bradeck

New member
Sep 5, 2011
243
0
0
Vigormortis said:
Bradeck said:
And THIS is why SOPA will pass. Because the general sentiment among people like us is;

OMG THAT SUCKS, HOW FUCKING UNFAIR!!! FUCK! I guess I'll buy it...because I'm too lazy/devoted/addicted to not just go along with whatever they throw at me.

EA could come out tomorrow and say Origin requires that we rape your mother anally, and people would still be pre-ordering ME3, 4, and Mass Effect: The Revengening of the Smoking man.

Look, I for one have chose to miss out on all the great games that EA is putting out. Battlefield, Mass Effect1,2, and 3, and SWTOR. That being said, because of the state of our group, I fully expect Steam to collapse and Origin to be the only DD service by 2020. Also, Sarah Palin will be president, and Michelle Bachman vice president.
Oh dear God, please PLEASE let the 2012 nut-jobs be right about this year being the "end of days". Because, there is no way I could live in a future like that. *shiver*
Well honestly, what would you do to avoid it? EA currently donates money to the Republicans, Mitt Romney mostly, because Obama's "anti-business" tendencies. If American geeks (Loving term) had to choose between Sarah Palin running the country, or getting Mass Effect 3, I'm pretty sure America would have it's first female president. We don't go outside and really, do much, in the way of representing ourselves. We just take it, and hope it will be better soon.
 

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
1,314
0
0
DustyDrB said:
major_chaos said:
sigh, another thread for people to grossly exaggerate how invasive origin is and pretend that many other thing aren't just as nosy, while also bowing at the feet of holy steam and its flawlessness(lolno). people seem to be unaware that others have looked at what Origin accesses and it isn't that much, certainly less then what steam asks to take in those pointless "we want every scrap of information on your PC, and no we wont tell you why" surveys. this news is unsurprising and will not make me think twice about getting ME3 the second it launches.
Well, find the information and post it here. I'm not saying you're wrong. I really don't know. I would love for this to not be a controversial thing so we can have the warm fuzziness of everyone enjoying an awesome game at the same time (pretty much how it was here when ME2 was released. The criticism only really started months later).

Don't just brush people's concerns aside, though. If you have information to the contrary, share it.
you are correct I let my anger over the constant "lets bash origin and praise steam " mentality get the best of me and my post was little more then a rant and for that I am sorry, the information I was referring to can be found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60145714 the opening seems to indicate that Origin did not access that much info and if even that is to much I believe on the first or second there are detailed instructions on how to use sandboxie to prevent it from accessing anything.
 

michael87cn

New member
Jan 12, 2011
922
0
0
And yet sadly, as much as we all hate programs like Origin, sales of the game won't be hurt a single bit, even for the PC.

Why? 'cause its not advertised on the box.

WARNING! THIS GAME CONTAINS SPYWARE! Should be illegal to not label a game like this, if it does indeed contain it.

Things will continue to get worse until some new laws get passed and they can't sneak sneaky software into games.

Food has to be labeled, so should games.
 

Vegosiux

New member
May 18, 2011
4,381
0
0
Oh-ho-ho-ho, what a surprising turn of events. Really, this is so predictable it'd be funny if it wasn't sad. Several things started to put me off ME3. Origin was just what finally tipped the scale.
 

Bradeck

New member
Sep 5, 2011
243
0
0
Kahunaburger said:
Veldrenor said:
Buying Mass Effect 3 for console instead of PC will not get EA to change the Origin policy. Boycotting the Mass Effect franchise will not get EA to change the Origin policy. Boycotting the Battlefield franchise, the Crysis franchise, the Dragon Age franchise, the Dead Space franchise, or many of EA's other titles will not get EA to change the Origin policy. The only people who get hurt are the developers of such titles. After all, EA's practically got a monopoly on the sports gaming market. Their general policy is that everything else is just niche market chump-change in comparison.
I think it's less a boycott and more a "why am I installing spyware on my computer to play this game when I could have other games and no spyware instead?"
Thing is, and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong here, but a boycott wouldn't do anything anyway. EA has their money in hand before the games hit the shelves. EA doesn't sell us (the consumer) the game at all. They sell bulk copies to stores like EB, Walmart, Target, and others, and what money is made off of THOSE copies goes directly to those businesses. EA makes it's money selling to the retailers, not through the stores. Am I mistaken?

My point is, we can't REALLY hurt EA at this point. The only way we could is to hurt their stock options, or degrade the worth of their shares, either through mass negative reviews by credible sources (IE professional reviews) or thru public action (the Courts).

I don't agree with what happened, but the negative publicity caused by the whole Sony vs Hotz case dropped their margins ALOT, and made them react. That's pretty much the only way these days.
 

Duck Soup

New member
Oct 24, 2009
61
0
0
Probably a stupid question but how is Origin different than Steam? I don't really see any differences between the two. Other than the fact that Origin spies on you. I just don't think I see the point in not using Steam. *shrug*