Mass Effect 3 PC will require Orgin

Dogstile

New member
Jan 17, 2009
5,093
0
0
Bhaalspawn said:
Refuse to buy games that require Origin.

Okay with games that require Steam.

Refuse to buy games that require origin because i'm a little weary of having multiple accounts with multiple companies.

Get called a hypocrite

LOGIC!

OT: Eh, glad i'm an Xbox player. Can't be arsed to install yet another "service". Especially one that's so banhappy.
 

sniddy_v1legacy

New member
Jul 10, 2010
265
0
0
PlowmanMk said:
People need to stop getting so upset over little things.
Let me put it this way if it end up on my PC it will currently be under a Jolly Rodger.

I too shall not ever instal or run that piece of spyware in it's current format....
 

Paxel

New member
Jan 26, 2011
36
0
0
For me it is not that Origin is all that bad, it have worked quite well for me. The problem I got is that the game will only be on Origin. It forces me to use Origin even if I don't want to. I think EA is missing how you get people to use your services, you should offer a better service than your competition.
 

natster43

New member
Jul 10, 2009
2,459
0
0
This shouldn't be surprising. All EA games have it now. If you were expecting it not to you were a fool.
 

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
8,365
0
0
natster43 said:
This shouldn't be surprising. All EA games have it now. If you were expecting it not to you were a fool.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe The Old Republic is available without Origin.
 

antipunt

New member
Jan 3, 2009
3,035
0
0
Call me a cynic, but this is one of those cases where everyone (legitimately) complains, but in the end, all the dough will flow into their pockets anyway, and they'll be smiling smugly at the end of the day, completely unphased
 

Fumofu

New member
Nov 11, 2010
85
0
0
Will you be able to carry your character over to Mass Effect 3 if you have a copy of Mass Effect 2 on Steam?
 

TheBelgianGuy

New member
Aug 29, 2010
365
0
0
DustyDrB said:
major_chaos said:
sigh, another thread for people to grossly exaggerate how invasive origin is and pretend that many other thing aren't just as nosy, while also bowing at the feet of holy steam and its flawlessness(lolno). people seem to be unaware that others have looked at what Origin accesses and it isn't that much, certainly less then what steam asks to take in those pointless "we want every scrap of information on your PC, and no we wont tell you why" surveys. this news is unsurprising and will not make me think twice about getting ME3 the second it launches.
Well, find the information and post it here. I'm not saying you're wrong. I really don't know. I would love for this to not be a controversial thing so we can have the warm fuzziness of everyone enjoying an awesome game at the same time (pretty much how it was here when ME2 was released. The criticism only really started months later).

Don't just brush people's concerns aside, though. If you have information to the contrary, share it.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60145714
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7804065.page?ClickID=annw0wzlw5znaz5wv0ot5pa59s0550yvksrn&ClickID=dz0zrcwxthnkhbtx2corbbxstrmssrc0tyxk

Origin does not seem to spy more than Steam, from what I gathered, and there are ways to keep origin (and steam for that matter) to access these files.
 

Worr Monger

New member
Jan 21, 2008
868
0
0
Saw this coming unfortunately..

Well... I had already pre-ordered my Collector's Edition months ago. If ME3 works at all like SWTOR.. then you won't need Origin with a physical copy, which is fine by me.

I shall simply not be transferring funds via Origin, that's enough for me. I can wait an extra week.

Fumofu said:
Does this mean you'll be able to carry your character over to Mass Effect 3 if you have a copy of Mass Effect 2 on Steam?
I doubt it'll be a problem. If ME3 works like ME2, then you just need to find the Saved Games folder, which I think is already separate from your Steam folders (Not that I think it would matter)
 

White-Death

New member
Oct 31, 2011
223
0
0
I really want to finish the trilogy,but Origin is..scary..
I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying this, but I will pirate it or buy it legally & crack it just so I don't have to install origin.
Origin will never get onto my PC.
Never.
ever.
Period.
Also, I'm not on ANY social networking site, at all.
 

salinv

New member
Mar 17, 2010
133
0
0
Fumofu said:
Does this mean you'll be able to carry your character over to Mass Effect 3 if you have a copy of Mass Effect 2 on Steam?
You can transfer; the game save is saved on your computer and is basically open to use for anything. The most you'll have to do is find the file and copy it over when you start up ME3.
 

TokenRupee

New member
Oct 2, 2010
126
0
0
Such a shame. I like Bioware. I really do. But ever since they were bought out, I've felt less excited with each game because EA meddles with them so much and doesn't give them their promised space and freedom to work in.

Even though I don't buy the Mass Effect games on PC- I buy them on the 360-, I won't be buying this new at all. If I decide to buy it, I'll outright buy used just so none of my money goes to EA.
 

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
3,975
0
0
Not buying a game because you hate Origin? Okay then.

Origin is fine and I don't have an issues with it although I don't plan on getting it on PC since I started ME on 360 and wanted to finish it off that way.
 

TokenRupee

New member
Oct 2, 2010
126
0
0
EcksTeaSea said:
Not buying a game because you hate Origin? Okay then.

Origin is fine and I don't have an issues with it although I don't plan on getting it on PC since I started ME on 360 and wanted to finish it off that way.
Same here. Or I should say I want to finish it on the 360, but I don't want to support this type of business practice.
 

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
3,073
0
0
With all the time I've used origin for BF3, I don't see it as a big issue. I just shut it off when I'm not using it. What I don't like is that I don't have the convenience of having all my games on one account, now I need 2.
 

evilneko

Slava Ukraini
Jun 16, 2011
2,211
42
53
major_chaos said:
DustyDrB said:
major_chaos said:
sigh, another thread for people to grossly exaggerate how invasive origin is and pretend that many other thing aren't just as nosy, while also bowing at the feet of holy steam and its flawlessness(lolno). people seem to be unaware that others have looked at what Origin accesses and it isn't that much, certainly less then what steam asks to take in those pointless "we want every scrap of information on your PC, and no we wont tell you why" surveys. this news is unsurprising and will not make me think twice about getting ME3 the second it launches.
Well, find the information and post it here. I'm not saying you're wrong. I really don't know. I would love for this to not be a controversial thing so we can have the warm fuzziness of everyone enjoying an awesome game at the same time (pretty much how it was here when ME2 was released. The criticism only really started months later).

Don't just brush people's concerns aside, though. If you have information to the contrary, share it.
you are correct I let my anger over the constant "lets bash origin and praise steam " mentality get the best of me and my post was little more then a rant and for that I am sorry, the information I was referring to can be found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960869-battlefield-3/60145714 the opening seems to indicate that Origin did not access that much info and if even that is to much I believe on the first or second there are detailed instructions on how to use sandboxie to prevent it from accessing anything.
So Origin fired off a list of everything on his box that uses the ProgramData folder to store...anything. Could also have fired off the contents of any arbitrary file in there.

This is not okay by me.
 

Bostur

New member
Mar 14, 2011
1,070
0
0
DustyDrB said:
natster43 said:
This shouldn't be surprising. All EA games have it now. If you were expecting it not to you were a fool.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe The Old Republic is available without Origin.
As far as I can tell you can play TOR without installing the Origin software, but you will need an Origin account since all EA accounts have been merged to Origin.

There is no avoiding the Origin terms, but the software itself can be avoided in this case.
 

natster43

New member
Jul 10, 2009
2,459
0
0
DustyDrB said:
natster43 said:
This shouldn't be surprising. All EA games have it now. If you were expecting it not to you were a fool.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe The Old Republic is available without Origin.
You do at least require an origin account according to this. http://www.swtor.com/info/faq#170974 here is what it says in case you don't want to click the link.

"Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?
Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account. You can create a new Origin account by going to the Origin Account Registration page, entering your email address in the appropriate space and clicking ?Start my EA Profile.? This will take you to a screen where you can create your EA Master ID and set your password. You can also start a new Origin account by logging in with either your Facebook or PlayStation Network accounts, or by downloading and running the Origin client for the first time."
 

gigastrike

New member
Jul 13, 2008
3,112
0
0
I pretty much have to get it for the Xbox since that's what I got Mass Effect 1 and 2 for, but even if I was planning on getting it for the PC I wouldn't see this as a problem.