Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The Plunk said:
1. Buy physical copy of Mass Effect 3.
2. Throw it in the bin.
3. Download cracked version.
4. ???????
5. PROFIT!

AFAIK, in most countries it's legal to download a backup copy of any game you own, so it's not even piracy.
My solution as well, I want ME3 but I try to keep spyware out of my system.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Stealthfighterx said:
Tayh said:
Sweet, a competitor to steam's monopoly appears.
What about GamersGate,Greenmangaming,Direct2Drive and so on? I think it would be much better if they made a service like that instead of doing what steam does.
Buy Fallout:New Vegas/Civilization 5/Saints Row 3/any other steam-exlusive game through GamersGate etc... Hello! Still requires steam to run.

The funniest part in this topic, is, that you could take all the complaints people have against Origin, replace Origin with steam, and they would still be valid - or just equally wrong.
Fanatism, and the inability to judge things objectively, is an ugly thing.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Don't have any problem with origin so if i were to play it on PC (and one day far far away, i might play it, when i get gaming PC) i would gladly install origin. But as of now will buy ME3 on PS3.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Sonic Doctor said:
Meh, I'm getting it for the 360, so the whole Origin business doesn't matter to me.

ph0b0s123 said:
Every time peoples rights to piracy is degraded it is always by a small amount, so it is death by a thousand cuts.
I think you mean privacy. People have rights to that, but nobody has the right to piracy, and they never should.
Oops, Freudian slip. Thinking about another thread I am commenting in....

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Tayh said:
The funniest part in this topic, is, that you could take all the complaints people have against Origin, replace Origin with steam, and they would still be valid - or just equally wrong.
You generally don't see Valve having to constantly backpedal because of government scrutiny. [http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/01/german-claim-origin-eua-allows-ea-to-spy-on-battlefield-3-players/]

Also, as someone who already owns steam and impulse, I don't see much of a reason to get a third version of the same thing that may or may not also be spyware.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
The Plunk said:
1. Buy physical copy of Mass Effect 3.
2. Throw it in the bin.
3. Download cracked version.
4. ???????
5. PROFIT!

AFAIK, in most countries it's legal to download a backup copy of any game you own, so it's not even piracy.
My solution as well, I want ME3 but I try to keep spyware out of my system.
Or you can simply install the game and use a crack. No need to download it entirely. Hopefully. As I'm not interested in multiplayer at all, this may be my solution as well.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
WHY OH WHY MUST THEY MAKE EA GAMES REQUIRE EA'S SERVICE AND NOTHING ELSE!

on the flip side

WHY OH WHY MUST THEY MAKE VALVE GAMES REQUIRE VALVES SERVICE AND NOTHING ELSE!

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
It's at times like this that I am really glad I have never played a Mass Effect game or even cared to play one. Because if I was an ME fan, I would kind of be up shit creek right now. Then again, I don't think I would. I would just watch a full playthrough on YouTube, just as a way to say, "Fuck you EA, you can't make me let you spy on me!"

snowplow said:
EA calling steam restrictive is laughable.
I guess the good news is that it MIGHT eventually be on steam, meaning i MIGHT eventually purchase it, if its on sale.
Yeah, but if it does, it will still require Origin. Only if people don't buy their shit until Origin is removed will we ever get games that don't require EA's spyware copy-protection software.

Tohron

Apr 3, 2010
PurePareidolia said:
I'm not buying Mass Effect 3 because of it. I want to see the ending, but not that much.
If the stuff in the leaked story documents remains in place (and it would take a lot of work to change it at this point), you may not want to see the ending at all.

I was already fairly set on avoiding this - the Origin requirement just reinforces that decision.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
xPixelatedx said:
God guys, just bite the bullet and get it for your Xbox/PS3. You should have one of those in this day and age unless you are somehow trying to avoid 90% of games made in this century. And this is Mass Effect, not BF3. You aren't going to see a night and day difference in graphics by using a console.
1. Accept that some people don't want a restricted 8-year old computer. I only got one because I found one dirt-cheap and wanted to finish the Gears trilogy.

2. 90 %? Try 5 % of all of the western games made the last 10 years.

3. Understand that our Shepards won't magicly appear in our imaginary console-boxes just because we wish so damn hard.

4. Accept that compared to the PC, the controls for Console Mass Effect are incredibly clunky.

5. Accept that some people doesn't want bloated mega-corporations to nift through their personal data.

6. Stop being an arse because you don't understand that some people don't want neither a console or forced spyware on their comps.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
For once, I'm happy to be a console gamer.

No cruddy software keeping me down!

But the question still remains: Will I even get Mass Effect 3? I suppose only time will tell.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Tayh said:
Sweet, a competitor to steam's monopoly appears.
Adam Jensen said:
EA is shooting itself in the foot by not releasing it via Steamworks. -snip- If they had any faith in their Origin, they wouldn't make it mandatory to play their games, and they wouldn't exclude Steam. Fuckin' imbeciles. Instead of not releasing their games on Steam they should draw people towards Origin by offering exclusive bonuses for Origin version.
Oh, you mean just like Valve offers alternative non-steam releases for their Source games?
Yeah, that's so awesome, I love being able to choos... Oh wait.

I think it's funny how many people hate Origin, and then turn around and praise steam for being exactly the same.
I guess people forgot how buggy and hideous steam was in the beginning.
No we don't. I know I don't. I've been with it since the beginning. I recall quite vividly how terrible it was. (operative word being WAS)

But you know what? That's not the issue here. But for discussions sake, let's make a few quick comparisons, shall we?

EA - multi-billion dollar corporation, employing and funding thousands, and has been in operation for over two decades.
Valve - company comprised of, at this point, less than 250 people.

When Valve first released Steam, they were breaking new ground. Add to that that they didn't exactly have the knowledge, resources, or funding to make it a perfect system at start and one can see why Steam was so buggy. That it's become what it is is nothing less than impressive.

EA, on the other hand, has been trying to make their own DD service for years. Origin is hardly their first attempt. Yet, it's still a colossal pile of sh#t. But why? They have the funding. They have the experience. And God knows they have a wealth of industry knowledge to pull from on what to and what not to do.

Valve had an excuse back then. What's EA's excuse now?

(and don't even get me started on the BS information collection policies and their unbelievably stupid "account ban" procedures.)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Kahunaburger said:
Well, that bumped ME3 off my 2012 games list. Now I have $60 to spend on books or something. Thanks, EA!
Or, you know, another game.

Like say....Diablo 3? <.<

That is, if it's ever released...

Know what? Never mind. Books are a better idea anyway. People don't read nearly enough anymore.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
evilneko said:
Not purchasing ME3 now.

Objectionable portion of Origin EULA:
In addition to information that you give EA directly, EA collects non-
personally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our
products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of
software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as
communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA
collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer
(including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as
information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful
installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.
Egregious unnecessary spying clause highlighted.

Translation: "We get to peek at what else you have installed on your system and how often you use it, as well as peek at whatever hardware you have, and we get to do it all without letting you opt out. Nice tax returns by the way, hey, we see you use TaxCut, did you know TurboTax is better? Yeah, might wanna try it. Oh, if you don't consent to all this, you don't get to play Mass Effect 3. Have a nice day."

EA doesn't need to gather this information silently, behind users' backs and essentially without their consent. Sure some of it could be useful during troubleshooting, such as which antivirus or firewall you might be running, but they could ask for that if and when necessary. They could even have a button to click to generate a problem report containing the relevant info. Instead, this gives them carte blanche to look at everything, silently, with no way to stop it.

It's disgusting.

It's spyware.
These were my thoughts exactly. It's absolutely mind-boggling the kind of shit that EA tries to pull. It's so... scummy.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
That's annoying, I've always hated having to install a seperate piece of software to play a game.

I do enjoy reading all these hilarious objections to Origin though. It's worth it just for that.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Bradeck said:
And THIS is why SOPA will pass. Because the general sentiment among people like us is;

OMG THAT SUCKS, HOW FUCKING UNFAIR!!! FUCK! I guess I'll buy it...because I'm too lazy/devoted/addicted to not just go along with whatever they throw at me.

EA could come out tomorrow and say Origin requires that we rape your mother anally, and people would still be pre-ordering ME3, 4, and Mass Effect: The Revengening of the Smoking man.

Look, I for one have chose to miss out on all the great games that EA is putting out. Battlefield, Mass Effect1,2, and 3, and SWTOR. That being said, because of the state of our group, I fully expect Steam to collapse and Origin to be the only DD service by 2020. Also, Sarah Palin will be president, and Michelle Bachman vice president.
Oh dear God, please PLEASE let the 2012 nut-jobs be right about this year being the "end of days". Because, there is no way I could live in a future like that. *shiver*