Mass Effect 3 Trailer Confirms Earth is Screwed

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
People here are making story judgments awfully quick for a trailer that doesn't give away the details of the invasion. If Vigil is anything to go by, Bioware pays careful attention to the details. Who says they didn't shut down the Mass Relays that lead to Earth? Disabling Relays is part of their invasion strategies. It's how they divide and conquer.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So next year I'll be getting both DA2 and ME3. Oh there shall be a ton of pants creaming...

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
And now I gotta wait a whole frakin' year to enjoy the awesomeness? Damnit. Looks like next November is gonna be the month the Earth stood still between this and TES V.
Indeed... We will all either die from nerdgasims or be lucky enough to survive and have the greatest gaming season ever.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
mmiller1114 said:
Chase Yojimbo said:
*begins foaming in the mouth.* Yeeeessss.... I don't care if Bioware was being a Jerk, i will forever love them either way. Though whats so special about humans?
it's the logical step, Sheppard is human and has been kicking their ass up and down the galaxy.and ME2 has showed that they had an interest in going after earth for some time now. conclusion: invade earth.

any way while i'm super exited for ME3 i'm a little worried that it will be very similar to the standard alien movie but the fact that you won't spend too much time on earth is something of interest and i'm curious to how it's all going to pan out.

edit: also bioware sticking to what it knows best and thats going around gathering forces for war. but knowing them they'll throw something in to make it different.
I fully understand why the Reapers are attacking the Humans, and why they are considered 'special' in this game. But on a personal note, it would have been more tactical to destroy the military and leadership of the major factions of the Galaxy instead of focusing onto Earth like a bloody magnet.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
I'm crossing my fingers for a mission set in Sydney, heck, anywhere in Australia and I'll be happy.

Kizna

Feb 18, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
mjc0961 said:
Yeah they said something like that. But see after the AI in the first game told you that, you promptly go and stop that from happening. The Reapers can't come through the Citadel like the AI told you because they already tried and Shepard ruined their shit. So they have to try another approach.
Just because their first plan didn't work doesn't change the fact that the Citadel is still a priority target. The role it plays in the overall scheme of things is the same, thus it should have the same importance in the Reaper's plan. I just don't see the tactical benefit to taking out Earth and giving each species time to prepare and team up in the process as opposed to separating them all from each other by seizing the citadel.
Maybe they aren't worried about the Citadel as much right now. Shepard severely pissed them off in the first game, enough to warrant the events of the second game anyway. ;) But really, with the Council in such denial about the Reapers, perhaps they didn't really see that as the most important threat at the moment. They'll probably hit there, or attempt to, but they are focusing on what they deem to be their biggest threat first. Or at least their biggest pain. :p

Edit: I am kind of picturing the Reapers as one of the villains from an old cartoon at the moment. Something like Inspector Gadget. *Fist smash on the table* "Next time Shepard! Next time!"

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
kajinking said:
All I can think about while looking at this trailer is "Where the hell is everyone else?" I mean unless you went excessively evil in the first two games earth should have some allies coming to help it. I can only guess that the Salarians, Turians, and Asari are having very similar problems with all of their worlds too. This more than likely means that one of the big moral choices in the game will be to either let earth or some other planet be destroyed.

On a side note, I reeeeeaaalllly can't wait to see what the council has to say about this after all that Reapers are a myth talk. Anyone with me there?

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
Again, they dismissed that when it was charging straight towards them. Sadly, I wouldn't put it past Bioware to have the council think this is just a geth invasion.

maxusy3k

May 17, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
I HATE IT when developers try to increase the hype for their games by SPOILING THE STORY before the game is even released.

Fuck the person who decided that revealing this information now instead of just letting the player see it in-game was a good idea.

Reapers attacking the earth and killing millions is something that should be a dramatic story moment in the game, something that makes the players who had just spent the last 2 games trying to prevent that from happening go "Wow we are fucked". Instead, its something that we get to see in a god damn preview trailer a whole year before the game is released thus destroying all tension that would have otherwise felt while playing the actual game.
Don't forget that the initial teasers and trailers for ME2 were that Shepard was dead / had died. Literally all of the pre-release stuff was about that, or the game engine changes.

Shepard dying was a massive hook around the hype of ME2, yet it was an event that occurs literally at the start of the game and doesn't really have that much consequence on the rest of the game at all.

It could well be the same in this case. The game could be kick started by the Reaper fleet descending on space and laying waste to major planets.

As for the people saying "Oh, why are the Reapers now just attacking Earth instead of doing X, Y or Z?", Earth may well be just one planet under Reaper attack.

The closing sequence of ME2 certainly seemed to suggest there's more than enough Reapers to effect a multi-pronged attack on the galaxy, even with the shots of many Reapers in London in this trailer.

As for how they manage to do it with any kind of surprise, and the way the Mass Relays are mapped out... firstly do consider space is three-dimensional. They don't necessarily have to start at the edge of the galaxy and work their way in. Also...

ME1 clearly states the standard Reaper plan is to use the Citadel as a Mass Relay anyway... the Reapers jump into the galaxy using the Citadel as a starting point to spread from. That option has been denied them as a result of ME1's events, so they've had to change tactics.

All in all, I trust Bioware to not screw this up. ME2 was above and beyond anything I expected and, despite their general shortcomings in terms of general plot - seriously, every Bioware game has the exact same premise - things always come together to form a cohesive and believable storyline.

Plus, this is one minute of trailer footage. It's a little early to be making judgements either way.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
One thing that makes me happy is that the trailer wasn't in damn New York or LA!!!! Finally an Alien invasion (outside Doctor Who) that takes place somewhere other then the US.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
spectrenihlus said:
Again, they dismissed that when it was charging straight towards them. Sadly, I wouldn't put it past Bioware to have the council think this is just a geth invasion.
Even if they don't think it's a reaper invasion it still an an invasion.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
MrDeckard said:
God I hope this trailer has little or nothing to do with how the game looks and plays...
Or possibly everyone at Bioware has been doing LSD and got the idea that ME3 has to be an FPS instead of an RPG.

In which case no amount of military and/or police is going stop me on my nerd rampage to burn down the Bioware headquarters and wearing the flesh of the fallen as a cape.

..No I do not think that is strange.

But, OT:

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh.

"Bioware are making Mass Effect 3! In other news, tomorrow the sun will rise!"

Oh well. I guess I shouldn't complain. The trailer was okay and the game will of course be awesome.

Hearing that music at the end made me grin like an idiot.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I hope it's not just a stupid expositional piece where Shepard comes back to Earth, kicks arse, then does the usual travel and gambit across the galaxy. If you're going to have Earth as the first target hit by the reapers having a series of battles throughout the solar system would be nice.

Make Earth (or morse Solar System) a good 6-7 hour thing of Reaper-trouncing action throughout the the Solar System, then taking the fight to where the reapers are.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Four things:
1. WOOOoooOoOoOOooo! MASS EFFECT THREE!!
2. WOOOOOO! FUTURE LONDON!
3. Was the guy live action with CG environment or all CG?
4. What did he shoot...?