Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Honestly, all I care about in Mass Effect 3 is this:
Don't send the 10 new friends (and 2 old ones) I just gained off to be a five minute cameo. You spent an entire game building my relationship with them, if you make them unimportant in the finale then ME2 might as well not have existed.

/rage

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009

I think this is better.

I think BioWare could do with lightening up a little in ME3, especially using Jen Hale. She's an amazing voice actress, and she could make the funny moments even funnier just with how she, well, acts. Whilst Mass Effect is rather serious when you get down to it, I think the funny moments stand out more than the serious ones (Such as Elcor Hamlet on the Citadel, or at least I think it was Hamlet) and the cast has Seth Green! Seth. Green. His performances as Joker are spot on, and he's perfect to help lighten the mood.

As for Tali's face, which was mentioned above, I think it should stay covered just as one of those things that's never solved. Y'know, keep it as an in-joke.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
I have imagined Tali to look like a grey alien... just with boobs.
Or that clown ("Pennywise the Dancing Clown,") from Stephen King's "It".

2011 isn't a bad release date since they don't really need any new characters to add... they just need to use the crews from the last two games with the npcs they have given us thus far.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Fun and lightness? I don't remember any of that. Both games were serious business with a joke here and there. Not to say that's bad but I never got the shift in tone. I didn't think ME2 was any more 'darker' than the first.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
Honestly, all I care about in Mass Effect 3 is this:
Don't send the 10 new friends (and 2 old ones) I just gained off to be a five minute cameo. You spent an entire game building my relationship with them, if you make them unimportant in the finale then ME2 might as well not have existed.

/rage
Your fault for caring about a "suicide squad".

I think one thing that will make me like ME3 even more is them cameoing off these potentially dead, expendable time wasters like they deserve.

Do you honestly expect them to return all 10 (12 really) squadmates in ME3 when they could be dead? Even if they arent dead, how on earth does starting ME3 with already known squadmates correspond to the "reset" and "stand alone" trilogy they are laying out?

Face it, the ME2 squad were expendable, and should get cameo roles in ME3.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
ZippyDSMlee said:
........*headdesk* make a spin off or new series if you want to to do light and fun.....
Why? Both ME and ME2 have their funny moments.
- You ever miss those talks we had on the elevators?
- No.
- Come on, remember how we'd all ask you about life on the flotilla? It was an opportunity to share!
- This conversation is over.
- Tell me again about your immune system...
- I have a shotgun.
- ...Mmmaybe we'll talk later.

Also, a lot of the cutscenes - Biotic God gone wild, headbutting a krogan warlord, Krogan singing poems to his asari girlfriend, taunting a wounded Krogan Scout that he's a Quarian with a stomach ache... with Tali pointing out that "she's here, you know".

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Xaositect said:
1) Your fault for caring about a "suicide squad".

2) I think one thing that will make me like ME3 even more is them cameoing off these potentially dead, expendable time wasters like they deserve.

3) Do you honestly expect them to return all 10 (12 really) squadmates in ME3 when they could be dead? Even if they arent dead, how on earth does starting ME3 with already known squadmates correspond to the "reset" and "stand alone" trilogy they are laying out?

4) Face it, the ME2 squad were expendable, and should get cameo roles in ME3.
1) So...I shouldn't have cared about the characters, even though that was damn near the entire point of ME2? Your logic is faulty here.

2) So it makes sense to you to toss aside every character in ME2 and 80% of ME2's storyline because you didn't like the characters?

3) Yes, yes I do. Forgive my language and the harshness, but people who jump into a story-driven RPG in the finale and expect to be treated the same as the loyal fans can fuck right off.

4) If they were so expendable, then what was the point of building up such a strong relationship with each one? Even if they don't play a VITAL role in Mass Effect 3 (though I wouldn't be surprised if Tali and Legion do what with the whole quarian/geth conflict we have to resolve), the fact that the game emphasized character development so heavily means there was something to them.

Honestly, I don't get where you're coming from here.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Why do games lately have this absurd habit of jamming the back door of female characters into our face?
It was weird enough in RE5 where we would always accidentally be right behind her when she crouches to lift something so we can smell her butt?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Hubilub said:
I hope they at least have a bit of darkness. Part of my favorite sections in ME 2 was at the end where I was incredibly stressed out over if I would actually make it or not.

[sub]Good riddance with Miranda though[/sub]
What do ya mean good riddance with Miranda?

OT: As long as the PC version is released with the 360 I'm happy.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
lax4life said:
Hubilub said:
I hope they at least have a bit of darkness. Part of my favorite sections in ME 2 was at the end where I was incredibly stressed out over if I would actually make it or not.

[sub]Good riddance with Miranda though[/sub]
What do ya mean good riddance with Miranda?

OT: As long as the PC version is released with the 360 I'm happy.
She died during the suicide mission.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Quesa said:
So, in other words, it's Ewok time.
Yeah, apparently there's a planet of mini-wookies krogan where there will be an epic final stand between the empire and the rebellion reapers and Shepard's army.

Also, that screenshot seems to be the go-to for anything mass effect related nowadays. Hell, even the non-gamers I live with recognise it.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Yes, the Reapers will have a little song and dance routine. It will be hilarious.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Worgen said:
long as they dont keep saying its a suicide mission Ill be ok, that got old fast and its not like it was any more then the first games was, I mean sure you could die but still it wasnt really darker then the first game, they just kept saying it was
I find that odd - the second game's tone was a lot darker compared to the first game's.

OT: I prefer a darker story, and I like seeing characters ripped apart (metaphorically) but I trust them with it. He clearly means having more comic relief, because it's pretty hard to lighten the main plot up again with all the Reapers coming to whoop our arses.

Man I want to play ME2 again, but I don't want to know all the outcomes of all the choices like I pretty much do with the first - I want to go through the entire trilogy in one big go you see, once they're all out. And I want to be able to do it without knowing the "best" path.

AfroTree

Feb 21, 2010
reg42 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas depressing.

OT:..Never really played it..but i played some..and the best parts for me was when it was..a little darker than upbeat..so meh :/

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
LTK_70 said:
SteelStallion said:
Andy Chalk said:
Nice choice of picture, Andy.
I was about to edit to say the same thing. :p

Miranda and her choice of clothes.
"Does Cerberus really let you whore around in that outfit?"
"Operative Lawson's uniform really makes me stand to attention."
I was gonna say, she must really have some daddy issues.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Baneat said:
I was gonna say, she must really have some daddy issues.
In case you didn't play the game... Miranda does, in fact, have daddy issues. Not exactly the usual ones, but still.

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
JeanLuc761 said:
1) So...I shouldn't have cared about the characters, even though that was damn near the entire point of ME2? Your logic is faulty here.
Fraid not. Its your logic that is faulty. All these characters can die. Wrex can die in ME1, and he gets a cameo for his trouble. Its not logical to expect a return of all the potentially dead squadmates from ME2 in anything but a smaller cameo/support role.

JeanLuc761 said:
2) So it makes sense to you to toss aside every character in ME2 and 80% of ME2's storyline because you didn't like the characters?
Yup, thats kinda exactly what Bioware did with ME2. I dont know if you noticed, but the characters at the end can die, and with next to no fanfare whatsoever. They arent given unique deaths for each character. Its a quick, interchangeable scene thats slightly sombre, and then *wham*, staight back to the suicide mission.

JeanLuc761 said:
3) Yes, yes I do. Forgive my language and the harshness, but people who jump into a story-driven RPG in the finale and expect to be treated the same as the loyal fans can fuck right off.
I absolutely agree with you here, even though I think the ME2 squad sucks.

Bioware doesnt agree with you. Each game is "stand alone" and "a perfect entry point for newbies".

In short, maybe you should tell Bioware to "fuck right off". They are "doin it for teh monies" now that EA holds the leash. They arent doing it to blow your mind with an amazing trilogy that perfectly continues throughout all three titles.

There is a reason ME2 starts with one of the shittiest franchise resets ever devised.

JeanLuc761 said:
4) If they were so expendable, then what was the point of building up such a strong relationship with each one? Even if they don't play a VITAL role in Mass Effect 3 (though I wouldn't be surprised if Tali and Legion do what with the whole quarian/geth conflict we have to resolve), the fact that the game emphasized character development so heavily means there was something to them.

Honestly, I don't get where you're coming from here.
They didnt emphasise character development. They emphasised shooter combat heavy loyalty missions to play into a gimic.

Apparantly the only decent thing I have going for my favourite ME1 character Liara is that she is "saved for ME3", and thats why she was given such a crappy role in ME2.

If Bioware were so big on your relationship with them affecting anything but the suicide mission, why have them killed off?

Sorry, ME2 was a time wasting, shooter oriented second act that advances the "trilogy" plot no further than ME1 did. It was a sidestep, and expecting the ME2 squad to make it to ME3 as squadmates again is not only illogical from a resource standpoint, it also doesnt comply with Biowares ideas of a "stand alone noob friendly trilogy".

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
As for whoever said Miranda died in the suicide mission, it must have only happened to you, because she was alive in mine. I did manage to get Legion killed, which sucked because by the time I got him, the only things left to do were his loyalty mission and the final mission. So I was a little sad about not ever getting to use him.

One funny moment from ME2: go the Dark Star lounge on the Citadel and keep ordering drinks from the turian bartender. You'll like it.

I think they had a good mix in this one and if they keep at it, ME3 will be a game that I will be psyched about buying. But I don't think this game needs multiplayer. It's better off as a single player game. Not everything needs to be shared with someone else. I don't really think it will improve the game at all.