Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

reg42

New member
Mar 18, 2009
5,390
0
0
The Disk Thrower said:
reg42 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas depressing.

OT:..Never really played it..but i played some..and the best parts for me was when it was..a little darker than upbeat..so meh :/
The message the film conveys is very depressing. It's just deeper than the surface.
 

AfroTree

New member
Feb 21, 2010
757
0
0
reg42 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
reg42 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas depressing.

OT:..Never really played it..but i played some..and the best parts for me was when it was..a little darker than upbeat..so meh :/
The message the film conveys is very depressing. It's just deeper than the surface.
I never saw it as depressing then..i just saw it as the changing of one time..to another, and one man stuck in his time...

/stupidness on my part
 

reg42

New member
Mar 18, 2009
5,390
0
0
The Disk Thrower said:
reg42 said:
The Disk Thrower said:
reg42 said:
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas depressing.

OT:..Never really played it..but i played some..and the best parts for me was when it was..a little darker than upbeat..so meh :/
The message the film conveys is very depressing. It's just deeper than the surface.
I never saw it as depressing then..i just saw it as the changing of one time..to another, and one man stuck in his time...

/stupidness on my part
When I saw it I felt like it had this underlying meaningless behind all the bright lights and colours. I felt like it was telling me how pointless life was and how false the American Dream is.
I dunno, maybe I'm just looking too much into it.
 

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
4,896
0
0
I just really hope they don't kill off a bunch of characters at the beginning of ME3. They should let you use any of the characters from the previous game in your squad, but had a whole set of new ones too.

Also, hopefully don't have the ship destroyed at the beginning. EDI is too awesome to die like that!
 

Danpascooch

Zombie Specialist
Apr 16, 2009
5,231
0
0
QUOTE FROM DEVELOPER
Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."
ESCAPIST NEWS ARTICLE TITLE
Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"
This is kind of a reporting fail.

I love the choice of picture though.
 

DarkhoIlow

New member
Dec 31, 2009
2,531
0
0
I really liked the darker side in ME2 which was more interesting than the first part of the trilogy.

I hope they keep the same "recipe" for the third game and I'm eager to see what other new things they will implement in it.Like I always say "Why fix something that is not broken".
 

JeanLuc761

New member
Sep 22, 2009
1,479
0
0
Xaositect said:
Well, here's hoping you're wrong and we both get what we want in ME3. I loved Mass Effect 2 but I will consider it unacceptable if every single squadmate is relegated to a cameo.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
14,472
3,426
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
Woodsey said:
Worgen said:
long as they dont keep saying its a suicide mission Ill be ok, that got old fast and its not like it was any more then the first games was, I mean sure you could die but still it wasnt really darker then the first game, they just kept saying it was
I find that odd - the second game's tone was a lot darker compared to the first game's.

OT: I prefer a darker story, and I like seeing characters ripped apart (metaphorically) but I trust them with it. He clearly means having more comic relief, because it's pretty hard to lighten the main plot up again with all the Reapers coming to whoop our arses.

Man I want to play ME2 again, but I don't want to know all the outcomes of all the choices like I pretty much do with the first - I want to go through the entire trilogy in one big go you see, once they're all out. And I want to be able to do it without knowing the "best" path.

was it really darker? I means sure you had alot of psychopaths on your crew but it still didnt really seem that much darker
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
14,472
3,426
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
J03bot said:
Quesa said:
So, in other words, it's Ewok time.
Yeah, apparently there's a planet of mini-wookies krogan where there will be an epic final stand between the empire and the rebellion reapers and Shepard's army.

Also, that screenshot seems to be the go-to for anything mass effect related nowadays. Hell, even the non-gamers I live with recognise it.
oh man, that would be awesome, having an army if lil krogun to hold and to hug and to call george
 

NaumWolf

New member
Oct 18, 2008
93
0
0
I liked the darkness of ME2. was the first time in a long time i felt like an adult playing a video game rather then a child playing some trash exploitation game
 

Woodsey

New member
Aug 9, 2009
14,553
0
0
Worgen said:
Woodsey said:
Worgen said:
long as they dont keep saying its a suicide mission Ill be ok, that got old fast and its not like it was any more then the first games was, I mean sure you could die but still it wasnt really darker then the first game, they just kept saying it was
I find that odd - the second game's tone was a lot darker compared to the first game's.

OT: I prefer a darker story, and I like seeing characters ripped apart (metaphorically) but I trust them with it. He clearly means having more comic relief, because it's pretty hard to lighten the main plot up again with all the Reapers coming to whoop our arses.

Man I want to play ME2 again, but I don't want to know all the outcomes of all the choices like I pretty much do with the first - I want to go through the entire trilogy in one big go you see, once they're all out. And I want to be able to do it without knowing the "best" path.

was it really darker? I means sure you had alot of psychopaths on your crew but it still didnt really seem that much darker
LIGHT SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T FINISHED THE GAME:

Well you start the game by dying and having half of your crew killed; then you spend much of the game hiring maniacs, the terminally-ill and big-booty-bitches; your main mission revolves around finding who is responsible for capturing and mericelessly slaughtering 10s of 1000s of humans; you discover just what the Collectors actually are; side missions involve recovering or destorying the cure for the Krogan genophage, having the chance to wipe out the Geth, etc.; then there's the aforementioned suicide mission, in which everyone can die and your general crew members can be blended into a tasty human cocktail before being sucked away by a tube.

Then there's the general tone of the galaxy recovering from Sovereign, etc. and the possibility that Cerberus is evil (or doing the wrong things for the right reasons at any rate).

So yeah, I think I'd say it's a little less all-American hero than the first game.
 

JediMB

New member
Oct 25, 2008
3,094
0
0
dreadedcandiru99 said:
Virgilthepagan said:
I think I actually enjoyed the darker aspects of 2, like many of the other comments here. It helped make the storyline more involved, and the constant reminder that anyone could (and in my hilariously inept first try often did) die added a lot of tension to the entire game. While I could see some humor being nice I really hope they don't go overboard.
Seconded. I don't get it--how exactly do you make a story about millions of enormous sentient death machines attempting to commit galactic omnicide "light"? If anything, it should be darker than the second game.
You defeat the Reapers in the tutorial, and the rest of the game is a dating sim.
 

Mechsoap

New member
Apr 4, 2010
2,129
0
0
humor would make it good, instead of all those racist and depri aliens, rather make a really psycko one thats very funny
 

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
6,915
0
0
danpascooch said:
QUOTE FROM DEVELOPER
Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."
ESCAPIST NEWS ARTICLE TITLE
Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"
This is kind of a reporting fail.

I love the choice of picture though.
Have to agree with you on this. Seems like a lot of people didn't actually read the whole article and began jumping to conclusions.

It's good to have humor to offset darkness, otherwise your game is just overwhelmingly depressing. And while that might be what some game want to go for, to me Mass Effect has never felt like that kind of game. Mass Effect 2 to actually had a lot of humor in it. A good portion of it was black humor, which I guess is appropriate considering the setting. I have no complaints with BioWare adding more humor to Mass Effect 3 in a similar fashion so long as it is only to balance out the darkness of the game.

In my opinion, Mass Effect 2 wasn't dark enough. My biggest complaint with the game actually has to do with all of the wasted potential in some parts, particularly in the derelict Reaper. Considering this was supposed to be the dark game, as they themselves have said on numerous occasions, I think it could have been better in that regard. So hearing that they are making Mass Effect 3 even more dark actually pleases me.

Kollega said:
Baneat said:
I was gonna say, she must really have some daddy issues.
In case you didn't play the game... Miranda does, in fact, have daddy issues. Not exactly the usual ones, but still.
Almost all of the characters in Mass Effect 2 have father issues.
 

Not G. Ivingname

New member
Nov 18, 2009
6,368
0
0
bladeofdarkness said:
i thought much of the game was pretty funny
mording singing, the "refuse orders" bit, garrus's whole "reach vs flexibility" thing was awesome
Lots of giddiness:Not to mention...