Mass Effect Andromeda first impressions?

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Hawki said:
Apart from third person shooting and cover, what exactly do Gears of War and Mass Effect have in common? The idea of Mass Effect being a clone of Gears is a stretch on every level.
That's literally it.
But if I want to delve into it and really stretch the logic...it has guns.
Both have aliens you shoot with guns.
Both have people in it too.
Humans are the good guys.
You're also trying to save humanity.

But seriously, this is what B-Cell does. He compares something to something else that has vaguely similar mechanics, says that one or both is bad, then mentions System Shock 2 randomly.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I will never understand why people act as if B-cell is going to have a conversation, back anything he says, or consider another persons opinion.

I enjoyed my time with Andromeda...but geez.

Hard freezes, terrible P2P networking and flat out broken sound. Like the game has limited radar, with contextual sounds to lead you to combat and warn you of powerful enemies locations. But, the sound was bugged in a way where all sound came from directly behind the character, regardless of source. After a while this means you tune out the sound as white noise, and then fall victim to bad positioning because the warnings failed.

I'm still excited, and its still a lot of fun, but man do I hope there is another patch before release.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
From the footage I've seen, this is one giant mess that gives Ubisoft a run for its money.

I haven't laughed this much in a while though. My face is actually tired.

It's like a thousand memes were suddenly born.
You eh, got any sources for that? I'm a bit out of the loop and I need something to laugh at.

Though I'll also get sad because I want this game.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
From what I've seen on youtube the graphics(outside the facial animations) and combat looks nice, but everything else is a huge meh. The only thing that can 'save' this game beyond it's disappointing opening hours is how interesting the exploration gets. Those space vistas and 'alien' environments look absolutely great in my opinion. Interesting exploration and satisfying gameplay could provide a strong core even if all else(story, characters) fail. Thing is though I really can't stand the entire cast you're forced to travel with. They come across as really obnoxious in no small part thanks to the amount of shit dialogue crammed into them. They also remind me of the plastic dolls from Fallout 4, but atleast this game gave you the option to go at it alone. Here you are forced to travel with ugly ass what's-her-name Cora Harper(who designed this character? *ugh*) while the protagonist stares at the screen with his vacant stare and dead eyes. The character models from the previous games never struck me as that ugly. Then there are the enemies which are hugely disappointing. The main threat look to be collector type enemies but now with reptile faces(how original).

I have no attachment to the previous games and give absolutely zero shits about the nontroversy of ME3's ending but even judged on it's own merits(admittedly based only on what I've seen on youtube about the game's opening hours) Andromeda seems hugely disappointing. Maybe there is a saving grace and everything clicks into place after the opening and the game really becomes amazing instead of being mired in an avalanche of issues but I'm not holding my breath. :p

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Sassafrass said:
Hawki said:
Apart from third person shooting and cover, what exactly do Gears of War and Mass Effect have in common? The idea of Mass Effect being a clone of Gears is a stretch on every level.
That's literally it.
But if I want to delve into it and really stretch the logic...it has guns.
Both have aliens you shoot with guns.
Both have people in it too.
Humans are the good guys.
You're also trying to save humanity.

But seriously, this is what B-Cell does. He compares something to something else that has vaguely similar mechanics, says that one or both is bad, then mentions System Shock 2 randomly.
Pfff the Locusts aren't aliens, learn your Gears lore.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
This is all, unsettling to me I guess. I'll still get the game week one most likely, but holy crap are those issues kinda glaring. Those bits of bad animation are damn bad...like come on, that walking animation is so bad. And Lady ryders face looks like a mannequin in every shot I've seen. This crap needs to be fixed very soon, and not 2-3 months down the line so their quarter doesn't take a hit or some shit.

I would love for someone to go into more detail on the Character creation bit, cause with these bad face animations, you could probably make quite the monster if you fudge the cheekbone setting or something. I remember hating my ME1 character cause his cheeks always ended in a sharp edge sticking out his face, while my ME2 was a ginger hunk of man meat and looked fantastic. I even had similar issues with DA:I.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I liked it and I honestly don't see what's so bad about it, lucky me I guess. It also looks amazing.
I read RPS preview and they said what i have been saying from start. game has some of the worst animation ever and its 2017. plus gameplay looks mediocre. so tired of third person cover peak shooter.

mass effect has always been gears of war clone with dialogues system.
The animations aren't that bad at all, people (including you) are just blowing things out of proportion. Aren't you a Deus Ex fan? If you like Deus Ex then why even consider complaining about ME:A animations or its cover system? Besides, ME:A doesn't share the same cover system as ME1-3, Gears of War or Deus Ex, not that there's anything wrong with their cover systems.

Also, sharing a similar cover system to Gears of War doesn't make a game a Gears clone, I know that you've been told this 100's of times already but there you go.
Deus Ex is stealth game thus cover work but it would be much better if it involve lean and peak instead of cover like original game. i never praised deus ex cover system.

now mass effect is a third person shooter. and having cover system mean your immersion is now break. you can see behind the wall you just take wall cover and shoot.

the early previews has not been very good. Its shaping to be most disappointing game of 2017. its kinda sad 20 years old FPS (System shock 2 and Deus Ex) are more deeper in RPG than a game that claim to be RPG.
You haven't but I've caught you saying that every game that uses a similar cover system to Gears of War is a Gears of War clone, yet you praise Deus Ex as a whole.

You do realize you can do the same in Deus Ex and even in all Max Payne games? You're being extremely hypocritical. If it truly broke your immersion then how come games like Gears of War, Mass Effect and TLOU are extremely popular games?

Really? Please elaborate how System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are ''more deeper in RPG'' than a game that claim to be RPH.
1. I hated max payne 3 and love max payne 1. and what MP3 have? a freaking wall cover once again. becoming form max payne to gears of payne.

2. games claim to be RPG like fallout 4, mass effect, witcher 3? mass effect is shooter with few dialouge system. fallout 4 is bad shooter with light RPG. witcher 3 is hack n slash game with RPG elements.

System shock 2 and Deus Ex were not claim to be pure RPG. they claim to be hybrids yet they have deeper RPG mechanics than mass effect and witcher 3.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
I liked it and I honestly don't see what's so bad about it, lucky me I guess. It also looks amazing.
I read RPS preview and they said what i have been saying from start. game has some of the worst animation ever and its 2017. plus gameplay looks mediocre. so tired of third person cover peak shooter.

mass effect has always been gears of war clone with dialogues system.
The animations aren't that bad at all, people (including you) are just blowing things out of proportion. Aren't you a Deus Ex fan? If you like Deus Ex then why even consider complaining about ME:A animations or its cover system? Besides, ME:A doesn't share the same cover system as ME1-3, Gears of War or Deus Ex, not that there's anything wrong with their cover systems.

Also, sharing a similar cover system to Gears of War doesn't make a game a Gears clone, I know that you've been told this 100's of times already but there you go.
Deus Ex is stealth game thus cover work but it would be much better if it involve lean and peak instead of cover like original game. i never praised deus ex cover system.

now mass effect is a third person shooter. and having cover system mean your immersion is now break. you can see behind the wall you just take wall cover and shoot.

the early previews has not been very good. Its shaping to be most disappointing game of 2017. its kinda sad 20 years old FPS (System shock 2 and Deus Ex) are more deeper in RPG than a game that claim to be RPG.
You haven't but I've caught you saying that every game that uses a similar cover system to Gears of War is a Gears of War clone, yet you praise Deus Ex as a whole.

You do realize you can do the same in Deus Ex and even in all Max Payne games? You're being extremely hypocritical. If it truly broke your immersion then how come games like Gears of War, Mass Effect and TLOU are extremely popular games?

Really? Please elaborate how System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are ''more deeper in RPG'' than a game that claim to be RPH.
1. I hated max payne 3 and love max payne 1. and what MP3 have? a freaking wall cover once again. becoming form max payne to gears of payne.

2. games claim to be RPG like fallout 4, mass effect, witcher 3? mass effect is shooter with few dialouge system. fallout 4 is bad shooter with light RPG. witcher 3 is hack n slash game with RPG elements.

System shock 2 and Deus Ex were not claim to be pure RPG. they claim to be hybrids yet they have deeper RPG mechanics than mass effect and witcher 3.
You're impossible. That's all I have to say.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I've been watching a No Commentary playthrough of it, and I feel that a lot of the complaints people have are kind of petty. Awkward dialog? Who cares. Overlarge UI? I don't think so. Some characters don't blink sometimes? Holy shit.

Every point of complaint I've seen on early access reviewers seem like things I'll just get used to in time. Yes, human animation is a little wonky. I'll agree with that but it's hardly a major dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned. I also think the autoswitching of quest focus is a bit irritating but that's one of the easiest kinds of things they can just patch up.

Beyond that, it looks like they went back do its roots. A lot more running around that the first game in 2007 had, except these days it flows better.

I understand the cautious optimism people have but I think it's going to be fine. Gamers are just, as a whole, entitled little shits who are overstimulated so any flaws a triple A game has they're ready to pounce on and tear apart. It's just silly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zydrate said:
I've been watching a No Commentary playthrough of it, and I feel that a lot of the complaints people have are kind of petty. Awkward dialog? Who cares. Overlarge UI? I don't think so. Some characters don't blink sometimes? Holy shit.

Every point of complaint I've seen on early access reviewers seem like things I'll just get used to in time. Yes, human animation is a little wonky. I'll agree with that but it's hardly a major dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned. I also think the autoswitching of quest focus is a bit irritating but that's one of the easiest kinds of things they can just patch up.

Beyond that, it looks like they went back do its roots. A lot more running around that the first game in 2007 had, except these days it flows better.

I understand the cautious optimism people have but I think it's going to be fine. Gamers are just, as a whole, entitled little shits who are overstimulated so any flaws a triple A game has they're ready to pounce on and tear apart. It's just silly.
The overall wonkiness of animation and dialogue for me isn't enough to say I dislike the game, I don't. I think its fun, and very well put together in terms of actual playability. I'd hope they do something to shape up the wonkiness though, it feels jarring at times, not enough to make me quit playing, just enough to tweak my nose a bit.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Currently playing Witcher 3, and I have to say there is no end of wonky animation, dodgy facial animation and even main story cutscenes that fail to load something as simple as a sword in Ciri's hand when she draws it out...This is after the game's fully patched, completed and won awards and critical acclaim. So I do believe there are different standards being upheld here. Be aware of subconscious bias, humans.

Oct 22, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:
From the footage I've seen, this is one giant mess that gives Ubisoft a run for its money.

You eh, got any sources for that? I'm a bit out of the loop and I need something to laugh at.

[img src=https://i.imgflip.com/1li1sj.gif]
[img src=https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnitedLameElver-size_restricted.gif][/spoiler]
Didn't plan to get Andromeda in first place, so i'm not too bummed about this, but damn, can't we atleast expect that animations shouldn't get [i]worse[/i] with the sequel?

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
008Zulu said:
I reckon the Day 1 patch will fix a lot of issues. I also wager it will be 10-14gb in size.
Apparently the trial that everybody is playing on is already using the Day 1 patch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Casual Shinji said:

This one got a good belly laugh out of me.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
"Okay, Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition were just a fooled-me-twice kind of deal so it can't get worse, right? I mean I got over KoToR 2 and Mass Effect 3's endings along with Shadow of Revan's existence-"

It is around this point I began to hang my head and start crying.

Seriously, I'll still defend my adoration for Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 to the death but I have the strangest feeling that there's this unspoken rule for BioWare games that the amount of issues present is an overbearing floodgate that is just waiting to burst and flow in to an onslaught of bloodboiling rage and copious amounts of salty tears over money lost.

What happens after that is either permanent resignation from said game or an acceptance that what you liked was good enough to warrant giving it a thumbs up. A really vague and unspecified thumbs up but a thumbs up nonetheless.

But as for Andromeda, I'll skip the middle man and just reject its existence instead. If I wanted to feel like my brain was getting sanded by stupid haircuts and reminders of characters I had killed on purpose then I'd go back to my psychotic Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
CaitSeith said:
Arina Love said:
Mediocre UI for PC
Do you mean that the icons and text don't scale with the screen resolution (again)?
From what I've seen, more like tons of menus and sub menus to click through for quests logs, crafting, skills , etc. For instance, the quest log is divided up into sub groups. So if you want to put a quest as active, you have to open the menu, open journal, find the right sub group, open that, and then find the right quest. Which becomes highly annoying when apparently the game decides to switch your active quest for you to a main story quest if it happens to be on the same planet. And apparently crafting has a ton of confirmation popups to do anything.