Mass Effect Movie in the Works

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
If there's anyone that should play Commander Shepard, it should be Matthew Fox. You know, the guy who plays Jack Shephard on Lost. I've always been suspicious that Commander Shepard was modeled after Jack Shephard. Obviously they have similar names. And he looks almost identical to the actor.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Jade Empire movie next, please!

Who would play Henpecked Hou? And Black Whirlwind?
Movie? Fuck that, just give me a damn sequel!

OT: I'm not really sure whether I see the point of this. I mean, the games are made to be as cinematic as possible, so wouldn't a film basically be the game but a tiny fraction of the size?

Punisher A.J.

Nov 18, 2009
tziak said:
Punisher A.J. said:
Hiphophippo said:
You pulling my leg? Those pixels shooped? Never seen a man with a CG twin otherwise.
I shit you not.....dude's name is mark vanderloo

He's some kind of male model right? The male Shepherd was based off of that guy. At least according to wikipedia. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commander_Shepard#Commander_Shepard
I've seen plenty of videogame lookalikes.....just look at this guy and tell me shep was not based off of him.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
I'm feeling Nicolas Cage for something. Anything. Doesn't matter. I don't care if this movie turns out to be another Battlefield Earth, I'll still watch it if it has the amusing antics of Nick Cage.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Well if there's a game that's cinematic enough to be made into a movie, then Mass Effect would be one of the best.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
CosmicCommander said:
Shjade said:
I'm confused. Isn't Mass Effect already a movie? A long, fairly weak movie with a thin plot, weak characterization and average - at best - writing?
I would like to argue with that, unfortunately I have just lost all blood flow to my head after banging it in rage against the wall, so I cannot.
You needn't be so angry to agree with me. Peaceful affirmations work just as well.

Also I don't think that's how circulation works.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Shepard HAS to be female. Why? Too many people have played male shepard. People will see female shepard and think I have not seen this character. Amuse me. That and she greater represents a struggle, that is women sub conciously are still placed lower than men and humans are conciously in mass effect lower than alien species so a lower lower human coming to great bravado in the mass effect galaxy would have greater impact theatrically.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Heres hoping for a kick ass movie.
And also heres hoping for a movies that in the very least won't ruin the games.

N.Manth

Dec 9, 2009
Please dear crying mercy not a story about shepard, too many people have unique ones to make that at all feasable even for hollywood...but i think a story of the first contact war, or an exploration of the protheans could be really interesting.

rpspartin

Aug 4, 2009
Like it has been said a Mass Effect movie would have to have nothing to do with Shepard what so ever. By using MY story it would only mess up the game whenever i play it. unless they have some magical technology that can make the movie Shepard look like the one in my game save and have him have done all the choices that I made and have it done with every single individual that is watching the movie, having the ones that haven't played the game get a basic plot with the defaults from ME2 ( wrex dead, udina, council dead) being shown then i would much rather them do a spin-off type of movie with no real connection to the games. same universe yes maybe a reference here and there for the people who have played the game, but otherwise origanal story please.

redsteven

Feb 20, 2009
Kirosilence said:
I just finished playing Mass Effect (again) and I am of the opinion that the only way this would work is if they did a storyline parallel to Shepard.

Although they already have a good concept built into Mass Effect 2...

"The Citadel Council thought the first Hanar spectre would play by the rules..."
Well done :)

Or how about that rendition of Hamlet with the all-Elcor cast?

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
I was wondering this the other day. Mass Effect is an awesome sci-fi universe and I was wondering how it had evaded becoming a movie.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
I think the idea of the First Contact war as a setting could work, or possibly something set between the first two games or between the 2nd and 3rd games. A movie about Cerberus' origins might be interesting, too. Just please, please, please don't have a Shepard play a major role.

That said, I believe that Drew Karpyshyn (possibly quoted in an escapist article, I can't remember now) said that it was a mistake to try to write a story about a game's protagonist in the same plot as the game (referencing the Throne of Bhaal novel, I think) because people don't like seeing *their* character making different choices to the ones they made in the game. I seriously doubt they'd adapt the games' plot for a movie.

Balmong7

Apr 9, 2010
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Bah! I hope it fails. Not out of any kind of mean spiritedness, but simply because gaming needs to be more than Hollywood's *****. Seems like every new game of the last 3 years has got a film adaption in the works. Hell, publishers have been selling the film rights for many games before they've even been bloody released. It's as if all games are good for is providing the movie industry with ideas to rape adapt.

What really bothers me about this is Bioware's sycophantic attitude to all this. "Blah blah this movie adaption is the next logical step for the franchise, blah blah, we look forward to taking the series into new territory, blah blah". No Bioware, you simply got paid a shit-ton of money to allow Hollywood to take one of your games and bastardize it. The fact that Bioware are helping make the goddamned thing is even worse. Bioware, you are game developers, emphasis on the game part. Instead of getting involved in an industry none of you are trained for, how about you just stay focused on games. Like Valve. Good, sweet Valve...

I'm just looking forward to the inevitable franchise milking that's going to take place. "Yeah, I know we said we envisioned Mass Effect as a trilogy... but look at all this money!"
All I can say to this is that bioware games are already scripts for a movie. Just movies where you have the ability to choose what happens. If they are helping it means they are making sure the movie is good.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
No, sorry, I can't see this working. It'll come out in theaters and all non-gamers who go to see the film will go: "What is this crappy rip off of Star Wars?" There's better sci-fi and space opera out there with better, more fleshed out universes (Mass Effect's has all the depth of a kiddie pool) and better stories to boot. I don't see this translating to film.

The Prince of Persia movie worked because it was big dumb action movie fun and in the same vein of Thief of Baghdad and the Scorpion King. It's not in a genre that's been done to death and has more to offer. Why would the average movie goer go see this when there's the likes of Star Trek? Mass Effect does all the genre cliches that have been hammered and rehammered in cinema for the past... oh, god... 60 years or so? It'll end up as the same sort of snooze fest a Halo movie would be (and Halo's universe is arguably more interesting than monochrome single sex space babes).

Point blank: it has nothing new to offer in the genre and if I know the Bioware writers they'll be too busy taking themselves seriously for it to be a dumb fun action movie. Unfortunately it doesn't have the substance to be anything else.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I was thinking the other day, if done well, that story would make an awesome set of movies.

GET ER DONE!