Mass Effect: Stock Exchange

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Know what's hilarious? Since my Shepard managed to save both the Quarians and the Geth, I never even saw the supposed picture everyone got all worked up about. Imagine that. And even if I had managed to trigger it, I've got no clue where to look for it. And yet the Internet in its infinite wisdom needed to make a huge fuss over it. I've got a feeling that the in-game picture isn't even a high enough resolution to see well anyway.

Since memes are the topic of conversation in this strip, "Haters gonna hate."

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
McMarbles said:
I don't get it.

...oh, it's a meme... uh huh... yeah, I suppose that its kind of funny in the way "arrow in the knee" was funny (i. e. not fuunny).
Well technically the joke is that Shepard's picture in the comic is a photoshopped stock image. It's a reference to the fact that Bioware used a photoshopped stock image for Tali in Mass Effect 3 instead of making their own image from scratch. It has nothing to do with memes. Although no doubt the whole Tali/stock photo thing will spawn a meme soon enough.

Mr.Tea said:
Major Kirrahe says: Hold the lime!
That joke really shouldn't have been as hilarious as I found it!

Salakayin

Apr 1, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Grey Carter said:
Mass Effect: Stock Exchange

The Big Reveal

Read Full Article
Major Kirrahe says: Hold the lime!
At first, I read that as how its suppose to be. Normal self auto-correct! Then I actually read it properly. That's just too good and hilarious, for some reason. I don't know why! But I am entertained nonetheless. Props to ya, good sir!

As for the comic itself, well approached. It was a fairly lazy route to take for them in terms of Tali's photo, and not even well done at that. If it just had to be a reveal, it should have been approached with better tact. Or just another un-reveal.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Know what's hilarious? Since my Shepard managed to save both the Quarians and the Geth, I never even saw the supposed picture everyone got all worked up about. Imagine that. And even if I had managed to trigger it, I've got no clue where to look for it. And yet the Internet in its infinite wisdom needed to make a huge fuss over it. I've got a feeling that the in-game picture isn't even a high enough resolution to see well anyway.

If you are in a relationship with her, you don't have to kill her to get the picture :p

Faegis

Dec 24, 2009
This comic made me think that maybe BioWare is playing a joke here. Maybe the point is that Tali HERSELF has (poorly) photoshopped the picture to appear more beautiful and human-like to Shepard.

That probably isn´t the case, Shepard having made sweet love to her in ME2 and therefore (supposedly) seen her face. Or maybe she´s one of those girls who never remove the helmet, not even during sex. Seen a few of those in my time...

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Staskala said:
Valanthe said:
Cute comic. I love Tali's excited pose in panel 2.

I remain one of those few people who actually isn't bothered by the whole "Stock photo" mess. I was actually a little dissapointed that they showed her face at all really, I liked the mystique my imagination brought to it, I guess it's kind of along the same lines as why I think women in more 'reserved' clothes are far sexier than those who walk around with it all hanging out.
The whole drama wasn't so much about the fact that they photoshopped a stock photo, but because that they did a really terrible job at it. If you look at her hand (the finger placement is completely different from the Quarian anatomy you see in the games, by the way) you can still see the 3rd knuckle from the ring finger.
That's why people accused Bioware of being lazy and such, because it looks like the creator was using photoshop for the first time in his life and did the whole thing in 15 minutes tops.
There is also that subtle time traveling problem where the only time Tali would be outside in the sunlight like that would be before the Geth took over... And that's 300 years ago.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
shrekfan246 said:

As Weirdguy said, you can get it without her killing herself (which I didn't even knew happened). Just keep talking to her and she'll tell you she left something in your room. Then it's on a frame by the bed. At least it was for me. It actually seemed to be a different image then the one you see if she does kill herself... at least I think. It was kinda hard to see.

Gather said:
There is also that subtle time traveling problem where the only time Tali would be outside in the sunlight like that would be before the Geth took over... And that's 300 years ago.
But, if you do save her, doesn't she take off her mask anyways? I know she does on the Normandy depending on a few things too. Of course the image still doesn't make much sense overall... but meh. That's about how I feel about every ME3 controversy at this point though.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Haha! Thanks to the comments I now actually get it!

Well, anyway, if that's true, then yeah, that's an extremely weak reveal...

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, as (a) a fan of the character who has (b) seen the picture in question ad will (c) likely have to wait five months to play the game, can I ask those screaming about the stock phot thing -

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? Your calling this a 'betrayal'? Does it really mater whether this rather nice picture is 100% original or not?

Honestly, I'm more angry at those who decided to post the image alongside a massive and shocking spoiler just to be a-holes, especially as said shocking spoiler is completely avertable.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ravenshrike said:
Well, it's the last part of the love affair until the rumored DLC comes out and we see which theories are right.
I think you mean "unless," since it's rumoured, not confirmed. If there's a chance it doesn't come out....

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
RanD00M said:
Ohlookit said:
I don't get it?

-M
"Why can't I hold all these limes" is a stockphoto meme. It's a joke related to the fact that a picture of Tali is in ME3, and it's just a photoshopped stockphoto.
Ah yes, I remember reading about that // I think I was just a bit slow on the uptake with this one

-M