Mass Effect Writer Reveals Discarded Ending Ideas

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yes, because the Reaper Commander ordering Shepard to commit suicide makes much more sense.
(Holy crap, I just burnt out my sarcasm generator)

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
When I finished the trilogy, I had no problems with the ending. It was very reminiscent of many novels I had read, from say, Arthur C. Clark. It was the mob like rage in the community which turned me off the series, actually.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
This was on his blog months and months ago.

Still, I'm probably blissfully in denial when I say that I don't really care whichever happened. ME3 is still a great game.

Also, Drew's books - particuarly the Mass Effect prequels are really really good and I highly recommend reading them.

PirateRose

Aug 13, 2008
So basically they had written themselves into a corner and had no friggen clue how to end the series. I so called it. However, they were really determined to find some way that the Reapers were really trying to protect everyone and somehow Saren was right?

You know, I remember on the BSN way before ME3 came out, someone made a joke about the Reapers really were the good guys trying to protect people. What a silly and awful ending that would be everyone said, ha ha ha.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Honestly, that whole dark energy thing sounds like a really good idea if it was fleshed out correctly.

The Reapers, instead of being some kind of purge in order to prevent any purges from happening, actually don't want to die. But, because they aren't completely evil, they don't just kill off all organic life and allow them to advance and to eventually become immortal reapers themselves.

I'm horrible at actually fleshing out stuff, but I think it would've worked better than what they did. It asks "what will happen if an immortal being faces a known time at which he will die?"

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"I'm a little leery about going into too much detail because whatever we came up with, it probably wouldn't have been what people imagine it would be."
Still sounds better than magic space cupcakes. :(

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Umm...isn't most of this old news. I remember seeing the whole "dark energy" ending mentioned on this forum several times, or was that all just rumors and speculations and this is the first time its actually been confirmed by a Bioware writer?

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
Wow, all of these seem...kinda shit. Even worse than the actual ending - all contrived twists which make no sense and have no solid footing based on the context. My favourite ending idea is the one where the final choice is between killing the Reapers and watching galactic society crumble over time, or allowing the reapers to kill everyone and start the cycle again. Christ, no wonder the series disintegrated, if this is what their writers were kicking around.

All in all I was disappointed in Mass Effect 3 from the start anyway, pretty average game all around.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
And this, ladies and gentlemen is why you don't change the lead writer for a game series.

God of War 2 and 3 could've had a better story if the guy from the first one had more control...

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Shouldn't the ending just be Shephard destroying the Reapers / driving them into submission / both, while killing Shepard in the process, leaving the universe wondering why the hell they where here in the first place.

The ending of the Reapers could just be a "We are protecting you from greater harm. Yourselves". After that, you can play as Capt. Anderson and watching the universe take shape after the decisions of Shepard.

Cyanic

Jun 20, 2013
Those are just as bad because they're just as absurd and overwrought.

Bunch of races build a thing to survive, battle everything in a last ditch effort, throw in the elusive man, queue ending. Done. No stupid crap that doesn't need to be over-explained because you can't accept a simple story and make it about the PLAYER decisions instead of your own stupid agenda as a writer.

Fans rejoice and the brand is even stronger.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
It really seems like when they started designing the trilogy they had no idea of how it would have ended

writing 101, write the beginning and end first then you write the story of how to get there

DSK-

May 13, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
Those don't sound too bad, obviously not fleshed out enough but not as terrible as a space ghost giving you a choice of which colour you like best and ignoring all of the decisions you made throughout all three games.

To be honest a Scooby Doo ending would have been better. Shepard pulls a mask off a reaper and look! It was old Mr. Jenkins from the sawmill all along! He was just trying to smuggle diamonds on to the Citadel. He wouldn't gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling Normandy kids.
Oh god that made me laugh! Thank you, that made my day :)

You know, I wouldn't at all mind Bioware making a Blood Dragon-esque, tongue-in-cheek RPG/game with such things.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
And still the ending is dependant on the fact that organics and synthetics can't co-exists, despite the fact that THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THE QUARIANS AND GETH WERE DOING NOT 10 FUCKING MINUTES AGO. And you don't even get to point this out!
Star-Child: "Organics and Synthetics cannot co-exist"
Shepard: "Uhm...actually..."

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Kalezian said:
nightwolf667 said:
The truth is ME3's ending would have been fine if they just let you pull out a victory there at the end, no "better" endings but "hey you still gotta die" in an attempt to be edgy, just a solid victory snatch. Everyone would have gone home happy and the themes of the entire series wouldn't have been completely bjorked. They set Shepard up to always be capable of doing the impossible, they stopped the Reapers not once, but twice, three times even if you count some of the ME2 DLC.

If you're going to have your hero die at endgame, it needs to be setup and telegraphed through the whole of series and not included as an 11th hour Mary Sue twist.

Karpyshyn's ideas aren't great, but they're still better than how they handled the ending of the game overall.

you do know of course that one ending is a cliffhanger, since you see someone wearing N7 armor severely damaged like how Shepard's was buried in ruble take a quick breath before the scene ends, implying that he survived.

I mean, that was my first ending. Wasn't even that hard to get.

I dont see how people coudln't of gotten it unless they were just too lazy, then they deserve the shitty endings they got.
Or didn't want to play multiplayer at release. It wasn't until the EC lowered the EMS score needed that you could get that ending without the multiplayer boost.

nightwolf667 said:
The truth is ME3's ending would have been fine if they just let you pull out a victory there at the end, no "better" endings but "hey you still gotta die" in an attempt to be edgy, just a solid victory snatch. Everyone would have gone home happy and the themes of the entire series wouldn't have been completely bjorked. They set Shepard up to always be capable of doing the impossible, they stopped the Reapers not once, but twice, three times even if you count some of the ME2 DLC.

If you're going to have your hero die at endgame, it needs to be setup and telegraphed through the whole of series and not included as an 11th hour Mary Sue twist.

Karpyshyn's ideas aren't great, but they're still better than how they handled the ending of the game overall.
Amen to this, if they had had the crucible be the giant anti-reaper space bomb it had been built up to be, therewouldn't have been anywhere near the level of shitstorm that there was.

nightwolf667

Oct 5, 2009
Kalezian said:
nightwolf667 said:

you do know of course that one ending is a cliffhanger, since you see someone wearing N7 armor severely damaged like how Shepard's was buried in ruble take a quick breath before the scene ends, implying that he survived.

I mean, that was my first ending. Wasn't even that hard to get.

I dont see how people coudln't of gotten it unless they were just too lazy, then they deserve the shitty endings they got.
Yes, I know about that ending and frankly I don't really care. The Mass Effect Trilogy was billed as exactly that, a trilogy. It deserved a trilogy ending, a real one, not just a "hey, see look what we snuck in at the end if you played multiplayer a ton, ending". It needed a real one. When a game company bills it's story as a complete story and an ending to that story, then I expect a complete answer. A cliffhanger doesn't cut it, a cliffhanger that hinges on a readiness score that can only be gotten through multiplayer (or lots of post-release DLC) also doesn't really cut it.

Why? Because a cliffhanger isn't an ending and no, it's not the same as the Avengers' sneaking a sneak peek clip at the end of their movie of the upcoming baddie in the next round. Why? Because it's a franchise, it's not a trilogy. You bill it as a trilogy, you do start to look rather silly when you fail to deliver on the themes of that trilogy. This is a lot like if Star Wars: Return of the Jedi ended with an after credits snap of the Emperor floating in black space, before he suddenly opens his eyes. The story on it's own wouldn't have felt incomplete and the feelings we'd all have gotten from watching it would've been thoroughly soured. Especially if Luke's fate was in question and the series ended with Leia looking up mournfully at the sky going: "look at all the great things he brought us, it's so sad he won't be here now that we've finally found each other again." This is the same kind of thing.

On a simple level of storytelling it's a sign of utter incompetence and their own unwillingness to completely commit to the idea of Shepard completely being dead (after they'd already revived them to life).

This is like back when you could still find The Vampire Diaries books in a four-pack with the subtitle "The Complete Trilogy" emblazoned proudly on the front. It was as ridiculous for those books then as it is for Bioware now.

So, no. The crap ending is on them, if you enjoyed it great, but don't go around trying to make a turd any less of a turd by saying "but look how special I was to get this gold-plated turd!". A turd is a turd, end of story.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
This is so stupid. What he says actually ruins the previous games.
His not talking about only endings...his talking about the entire point to the universe. The HOW and WHY. This stuff should be nailed down before the first game released.

You can end a story how you like but you can't invent the bad guy motivation at the final hurdle,
It would be like Luke Skywalker entering the emperor's throne room and the Emperor explaining the galaxy will blow up if the dark side doesn't take over.