Mass Grave of Over 200 Children Found at Former Canadian Residential School

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Personally, I find it deeply misguided to not distinguish between people who declare themselves the law of the world, believe they're ethnically superior, and go out conquering with those who go out and join every culture on the planet wherever the people may be is to teach people their religion. Seems like a terrifyingly dishonest equivalency. I get it's muddled in times and places where the aggressive invaders declared it God's will that they rule over everyone, but that's really not missionary work.
It used to be how missionary work... worked. It's gradually been reducing that thought of God's will means that the missionaries get to do whatever they want. And, tbh, I more worried how China does it currently more than missionaries now. Temporary land grabs are still land grabs. At least missionaries build something and leaves instead of holding the debt on construction of them to control the locals

Not only have you honestly failed to make this case, there's still no point in you making it. I never said that all the extraordinary death at the schools was the 1918 pandemic. You're arguing against nobody.
I'm pretty sure tstorm said a pandemic not the pandemic

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
You mean why do I believe them to be mostly innocent? Because basically the same thing played out in the US. Children from reservations taken away to boarding schools, deprived of their parents, frequently abused, and who frequently died of disease. The difference is, in Canada, they dropped the children into existing Catholic Schools, where in the US the government was antagonistic to the Catholic Church and built their own boarding schools, further from their homes and with more military style discipline. The Catholic nature of the schools was not the problem, and the next country south of Canada is the exact counter-example where the same thing was done in spite of the Catholic Schools rather than with them.
How is this not an example of what-aboutism? Or is your point more that the US having done it too absolves the Catholic church of guilt?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
How is this not an example of what-aboutism? Or is your point more that the US having done it too absolves the Catholic church of guilt?
It's not an example of what-aboutism. What-aboutism would be if I was saying the US did it too, so why are we even talking about Canada? It's invoking a comparable thing to distract from the point. That's not what I'm doing. I'm imagining a world where the Catholics were given responsibility for caring for the indigenous children of Canada and decided they didn't want to be involved in that and abandoned their schools. What would Canada have done? They might have run the schools themselves (and based on the government using children as malnutrition test-subjects, it would have probably been worse). Is there an example of a government running their own schools to try and Anglicize indigenous people? Yes, it's the next country down. So in our counterfactual world where the Catholic Church isn't involved, is life better or worse for those indigenous Canadian children?

Interestingly enough, there are people in both nations who had good experiences at specifically the Catholic institutions. I don't know of even any anecdotes of people saying the same thing about the government run equivalents.
Coulda fooled everyone, that's exactly what it looks like to the majority of the world and the people the catholics have "helped".
It used to be how missionary work... worked.
That is never how missionary work worked. You have to understand, the history books tend to focus on conquerors. Like, sure, the conquistadors were generally Catholic, and certainly had some pompous things to say about how blessed by God they were, but that isn't the Catholic Church. They aren't priests. They aren't going to be sainted for the efforts. The world is full of school and hospitals named after saints whose work is being emulated by those Catholics offering their help.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Personally, I find it deeply misguided to not distinguish between people who declare themselves the law of the world, believe they're ethnically superior, and go out conquering with those who go out and join every culture on the planet wherever the people may be is to teach people their religion. Seems like a terrifyingly dishonest equivalency. I get it's muddled in times and places where the aggressive invaders declared it God's will that they rule over everyone, but that's really not missionary work.
These are two extremes. There were imperialist conquerors and kindly-minded missionaries just wanting to spread the word of god. There are documented instances of missionaries essentially as cultural shock troops working with the colonial administrations to control the native populations, seeing religious conversion and colonial domination as all but inseparable. There are also documented examples of missionaries appalled at the maltreatment and near-slavery of natives, or making efforts to preserve their cultures, and a lot of inbetween. I don't think the former can be casually whitewashed because the latter also existed.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Not only have you honestly failed to make this case, there's still no point in you making it. I never said that all the extraordinary death at the schools was the 1918 pandemic. You're arguing against nobody.
I'm not saying you said that. Pay attention.

You said that extraordinary pressure put the school in the position of having no resources or time to properly perform burials, effectively exonerated them of negligence. Your go-to example for this level of pressure was the 1918 pandemic, on the basis that you're aware of a (non-native Canadian) mass grave from that pandemic.

It's obviously relevant to that that the vast majority of these deaths were not down to the pandemic. Whatever pressures these schools were under, they were not comparable to that. Yet they were still failing to keep even half of the kids alive at one point. They were still failing to record names of the deceased. They were still failing to perform burials.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That is never how missionary work worked. You have to understand, the history books tend to focus on conquerors. Like, sure, the conquistadors were generally Catholic, and certainly had some pompous things to say about how blessed by God they were, but that isn't the Catholic Church. They aren't priests. They aren't going to be sainted for the efforts. The world is full of school and hospitals named after saints whose work is being emulated by those Catholics offering their help.
Well, I'm not particularly targeting Catholics. It's a common problem for a variety of religious folk back in the day, and if you squeeze the definition a little, atheists from Soviet Russia.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
It's not an example of what-aboutism. What-aboutism would be if I was saying the US did it too, so why are we even talking about Canada? It's invoking a comparable thing to distract from the point. That's not what I'm doing. I'm imagining a world where the Catholics were given responsibility for caring for the indigenous children of Canada and decided they didn't want to be involved in that and abandoned their schools. What would Canada have done? They might have run the schools themselves (and based on the government using children as malnutrition test-subjects, it would have probably been worse). Is there an example of a government running their own schools to try and Anglicize indigenous people? Yes, it's the next country down. So in our counterfactual world where the Catholic Church isn't involved, is life better or worse for those indigenous Canadian children?
But you did say the US did it too. In fact you brought it up in the context to suggest this means that the Catholic church was not at fault for running the genocidal institutions.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Someone keeps digging themselves deeper. Exactly why I refuse to bother talking to them nor show them much respect.

I remember this reporting a couple weeks ago on the Sunday news. This is the one part of human nature that sucks. Imbeciles empower, will you please stop trying to hide stuff or downplay it like nothing bad happened? You want to fix this give back what you took from the people. OR at the very least give them very heavy compensation. You all have more than enough money to do so.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The world is full of unmarked mass graves on catholic lands. It just keeps happening. Missionaries kill and abuse natives, and are some of the first and fiercest to do so.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Is this gonna contribute to the whole Q-Anon Conspiracy theory?

Adding fuel to that conspiracy train?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Someone keeps digging themselves deeper. Exactly why I refuse to bother talking to them nor show them much respect.
It's funny you say that. From my perspective, the argument is over, as there really isn't any successful disagreement with me in any of the responses. Like, I'm going to respond to people and enjoy the continued conversation, but there's only one user actually arguing about the mass grave in particular, and they aren't winning.
I'm not saying you said that. Pay attention.

You said that extraordinary pressure put the school in the position of having no resources or time to properly perform burials, effectively exonerated them of negligence. Your go-to example for this level of pressure was the 1918 pandemic, on the basis that you're aware of a (non-native Canadian) mass grave from that pandemic.

It's obviously relevant to that that the vast majority of these deaths were not down to the pandemic. Whatever pressures these schools were under, they were not comparable to that. Yet they were still failing to keep even half of the kids alive at one point. They were still failing to record names of the deceased. They were still failing to perform burials.
You should probably pay attention yourself. I introduced that pandemic as a reference point to other epidemics, of which there are many recorded that swept through those schools. Talking about how they didn't have to deal with anything that bad is ignoring all the existing documentation of those schools. I provided you a source that the Canadian government destroyed most of the funeral records from the Kamloops Residential School. Insisting the school never kept those records is wasting your breath. The government mandated indigenous children be crammed into boarding school, the government neglected them, and then the government shut down the operation and destroyed the records. Putting the blame on anyone else is stupid.
The world is full of unmarked mass graves on catholic lands.
And? Are you upset with the Catholic Church for being the ones there to bury the dead of the poor and downtrodden?
These are two extremes. There were imperialist conquerors and kindly-minded missionaries just wanting to spread the word of god. There are documented instances of missionaries essentially as cultural shock troops working with the colonial administrations to control the native populations, seeing religious conversion and colonial domination as all but inseparable. There are also documented examples of missionaries appalled at the maltreatment and near-slavery of natives, or making efforts to preserve their cultures, and a lot of inbetween. I don't think the former can be casually whitewashed because the latter also existed.
There are examples of bad people doing bad things in any role, but that's hardly a way to define the role itself. Conqueror's are typically bad, because conquering is a bad role to take. Missionaries are typically good, because missionary work involves helping people. I certainly don't mean to say that every missionary in history was a great person that was kind to everyone, but conceding that is a far cry from treating missions the same as manifest destiny.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
And? Are you upset with the Catholic Church for being the ones there to bury the dead of the poor and downtrodden?
That they abused and killed? Yeah, I would say the catholic church has some serious issues to deal with.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
That they abused and killed? Yeah, I would say the catholic church has some serious issues to deal with.
That you have decided on your own that they abused and killed. Because being angry at the Catholic Church somehow makes you feel better than thinking that society neglected and abandoned people, and Catholics institutions were often the last people there trying to save them.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
That you have decided on your own that they abused and killed. Because being angry at the Catholic Church somehow makes you feel better than thinking that society neglected and abandoned people, and Catholics institutions were often the last people there trying to save them.
Pffffft.

Oh yes, the catholics have never done anything wrong, I'm sure.

Besides kill the babies they couldn't sell and bury them in an unmarked mass grave.

It just keeps happening.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Pffffft.

Oh yes, the catholics have never done anything wrong, I'm sure.

Besides kill the babies they couldn't sell and bury them in an unmarked mass grave.

It just keeps happening.
Funny enough, neither the word "kill" nor the word "sell" show up anywhere in that article. What does show up, is that once again, the government took a Catholic group doing good things and dropped a bunch of problems into it. "Oh, you're doing some mighty fine hospital work there, sisters," The Galway Board of Health said. "What if instead, we sent you every pregnant and unwed woman in the region. And decades later, when people realize the infant mortality was higher at this place where we sent all the poor women society found undesirable to have at the normal hospitals, we'll let everyone blame the Catholic nuns."

I don't know anyone had the foresight to imagine all that at the time, but it's really quite a fantastic coincidence, isn't it? Thousands of Catholic schools, and hospitals, and all sorts of corporal works of mercy across the globe, and the big issues just pop up in the ones that government entities decided to exploit for their own purposes. Huh.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Funny enough, neither the word "kill" nor the word "sell" show up anywhere in that article. What does show up, is that once again, the government took a Catholic group doing good things and dropped a bunch of problems into it. "Oh, you're doing some mighty fine hospital work there, sisters," The Galway Board of Health said. "What if instead, we sent you every pregnant and unwed woman in the region. And decades later, when people realize the infant mortality was higher at this place where we sent all the poor women society found undesirable to have at the normal hospitals, we'll let everyone blame the Catholic nuns."

I don't know anyone had the foresight to imagine all that at the time, but it's really quite a fantastic coincidence, isn't it? Thousands of Catholic schools, and hospitals, and all sorts of corporal works of mercy across the globe, and the big issues just pop up in the ones that government entities decided to exploit for their own purposes. Huh.
"They didn't sell children, they just sent them for illegal adoptions."
"They didn't kill anyone, they just subjected children to malnutrition and starvation until they have to bury them in a mass grave without telling anyone about it because apparently this is a systemic problem with the catholic church."

It just keeps happening.

But go off, defend a truly atrocious institution. I'm pretty sure holocaust deniers have more solid arguments than you do.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's the "and nobody to told anybody anything" bit that's damning.

Like, if there were newspaper articles and letters to the editors and letters to representatives and church higher ups begging and pleading for more resources to help this mass of kids unwillingly dumped on these schools, that would be one thing.

But there aren't. The government and the church knew exactly what they were doing.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
It's the "and nobody to told anybody anything" bit that's damning.

Like, if there were newspaper articles and letters to the editors and letters to representatives and church higher ups begging and pleading for more resources to help this mass of kids unwillingly dumped on these schools, that would be one thing.

But there aren't. The government and the church knew exactly what they were doing.
What weirds me out is that the Church didn't bother with even the most basic of face saving or arse covering. And if they truly were being fucked by the Canadian government of the day, they could have simply turned it all back on them by just making the biggest fuss imaginable. 200 dead kids because the bureaucrats tried to over-egg your pudding and it failed? Call the damn papers. Start doing services for every single child; put the word out in the community that vigil needs to be sat for that many souls because the shitheads in charge have fucked up. Its not like they don't have a heirarchy they can complain to who can bring significant pressure to bear.