Matrix Online Goes Out With Style

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Matrix Online Goes Out With Style

MMOs come and go, with many just fading into obscurity. Matrix Online did things a little differently and brought an apocalypse.

When an MMO dies, it usually comes at the end of a long period of decline as the servers wink out like cold stars. Not so with Matrix Online, where the death of the game was made into an event. The game's graphics were changed to look like the simulation was falling apart, with ash raining down as the sky decompiled and angels and demons appearing to terrorize the city.

Matrix Online went live in the Spring of 2005 and outlasted rivals such as Tabula Rasa and Hellgate: London. Old subscribers were invited back free of charge to experience the end of the Matrix and old and new fans alike partied and fought as the world crashed down around them.

You have to give Sony Online Entertainment credit for opting for 'bang' over 'whimper'. The servers went down at 12:01 am Pacific Daylight Time, rest in peace Matrix Online.

Source: Boing Boing [http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/31/matrix-online-goes-o.html]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
shadowgaunt said:
Wasn't there another MMO that did something like this not too long ago?
That would be Tabula Rasa.

The idea was unstoppable aliens would attack and wipe everyone out. It was something of a boob though as the unstoppable alien invasion was in fact beaten back by the players, which was awesome.
The game ended anyway, it just so happened that it got to go out on an emphatic victory rather than the Doomsday device.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
shadowgaunt said:
Wasn't there another MMO that did something like this not too long ago?
Tabula Rusa did a similar thing I believe, with some huge last stand against the games alien enemy's.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
That's awesome. More companies need to do things like this. It builds good will.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Matrix Online, I salut thee.

*Salutes*

More failing MMOs should what Tabula Rasa and The Matrix did, it makes it feel more....I dunno, special or something.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
And theres the problem with MMOs, ten years from now, no one will be able to pick up a copy of tabula rasa or matrix online to see what the fuss is all about. I'm glad they had fun with the end of the world, though.

Can anyone tell me if someone is operating an America Online Neverwinter Nights server? THATS an MMO i'd love to play again.

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Wonder if anyone recorded this like they did for the Tabula Rasa ending. I think it's a great way to end their games, better than just fizziling out.

TheDuckbunny

Jul 9, 2009
That's awesome. That last stand idea would actually be really cool in a mmo still going strong. Once in awhile, or just once ever you'd announce a huge force of enemies to overrun alot of areas, only to have them being beaten back by everyone logging on. Maybe even people who didn't pay their monthly fee, just for a day. That'd be awesome!

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
Its always nice when things go out with a bang rather than a whimper. Good to see the developers knew this.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Its a shame seeing a MMO going down but I looked on youtube and found a video showing the last moments it ended....strange.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Tabula Rasa not only did this but in the last weeks of it's dismantle they actually made the game free to play for anyone and allowed new subs to start even with a digital download of the game.

Is this going to be a new trend?

Melcadrien

Dec 30, 2004
Good riddance, SOE Screwed up MXO more than they needed to. And with the loss of a number of key members the game started to die. In the end it was just one huge PVP/chat room. And there are a number of games that serves that purpose.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
That's actually pretty cool. More MMOs should do this kind of thing (I'm thinking of a good April Fools joke for WOW subscribers.)

PS- Are there any more pictures of the event?