ME3 Multiplayer: I finally had to rage at someone

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Okay, I wanna get this off my chest while it's still fresh in my mind.

Enemy: Geth
Difficulty: Silver

Teammates consisted of a Krogan... something (I forget), Salarian Infiltrator, Turian Soldier and myself as a Quarian Engineer. The match starts, the krogan dies a minute in and I rush to save him, freezing everything in my path while the sniper and turret kills/stuns stuff. He uses a medi-gel to get up as I'm reviving him, then a few seconds later, the round ends with my turret killing the last geth. Rounds 2-3 were uneventful as we all held our ground with a buddy.

Here's where things get ugly. Rounds 4-10, the krogan runs off on his own, gets killed/revived at least twice by someone else, and cements his place in fourth with me in first, doubling his score. Every time the krogan died, the dude who's controlling him was yelling "help, help" while slamming his space bar loud enough for us all to hear it. He wasn't killing very much, as was evident from his weapon choices: an Incisor and N7 Hurricane. I plug my headset in so I say "dude, stay with the group and you'll live a little longer". My request goes unheard and he dies again, far away from everyone. At this point in round 8, he's just dead weight, and I put him on the 'do not resuscitate' list. He screams for help and pounds his keyboard ad nauseum, hoping someone would get to him before he gets stomped on -- yay, he gets squished. This continues on until the middle of round 10, where we had to hack a server and 'hold the line'. I launched a missile at my feet, killing everything in our defend point. One by one, the team gets stomped out until I'm the last one standing (for a minute, anyway).

"Kevlar you fucking suck you fucking noob" went the pot that called the kettle black. I just lost it from here. I don't exactly remember everything I said, but I had to go Christian Bale on his ass: "LISTEN UP DIPSHIT. YOU WERE CLEARLY THE DEAD FUCKING WEIGHT IN THIS FUCKING TEAM, PLAYING A CLASS YOU OBVIOUSLY COULDN'T FUCKING HANDLE, USING WEAK WEAPONS YOU FUCKING COULDN'T PIERCE FUCKING WET CARDBOARD WITH, ALL WHILE FALLING LIKE A SACK OF SHIT, BEGGING US TO FUCKING HELP YOU ONLY FOR YOU AND YOUR SAVIOR TO FUCKING DIE A MOMENT LATER. MY FUCKING TURRET LASTED LONGER AND KILLED MORE THAN YOU! IT PRACTICALLY CARRIED YOUR SORRY ASS!" Then we argues back and forth for like a minute before thinking 'fuck this retard' and left the lobby.

I swear, if I rage at any more retards that make Derpy Hooves look sophisticated... actually, I dunno what I'm gonna do, because I would have died of an aneurysm.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I try and play multiplayer with friends whenever possible. I think I would've had pretty much had the exact same reaction. And I assume you were playing as an Asari Adept, if so then, good choice, I love playing as them.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
I probably would have had a more sarcastic reaction to this, and from how fast my mind works, I'd stutter since my mouth is too slow to catch up. But I agree, this is why you play with friends.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Hey, guys, it's totally okay if ME3 multiplayer is unbalanced, because balance isn't an issue in PvE! We can also expect a co-op multiplayer mode to have a wonderful, supportive community.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Maybe it's years of experience carrying PUGs around in MMO dungeons, but I haven't found ME3's multiplayer community to be particularly trying. Worst case scenario you've got a guy who won't rez, or a guy who runs off and plays cowboy a bit too often, or a guy who doesn't really understand his class, and worst case scenario is it causes you to fail a mission that was pretty fun anyway.

I actually LIKE playing with idiots on my team, sometimes. I get to Be The Hero.

I will admit to one pet peeve though...and that's the person who runs back and forth in front of my scope when I'm sniping. Sadly, this person is usually my girlfriend.

Whitbane

Apathetic...
Mar 7, 2012
The wonders of playing with people! I just clench my jaw and think of happy things. Maybe this is why I stick to free for all game modes in online multiplayer.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Hey, guys, it's totally okay if ME3 multiplayer is unbalanced,
unless you are a god damn idiot like the OPs example everyone working together can pretty much get in and around a 5k point difference at the end of the match.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Like other have said: try to play with friends. I play with friends almost exclusively so I never really run into this issue. I can call my friends on their mistakes without any real issue.

This reminds me of my Halo 3 days though... great rage times those were.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
This is why you do not play games online with a headset. If the shit blasts through you speakers along with the game sound then mute everyone. If mute is not an option then do not play that game.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
TorqueConverter said:
repeat post
How do you accidently post 4 times? I don't understand.

Anyway, you get idiots like that a lot, and it is annoying. When the entire team works together, matches flow so smoothly in comparison.

TorqueConverter

Nov 2, 2011
I don't know, some wizardry. Blank captcha followed by 3 bogus captcha errors. I assume each one printed a post?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kevlar Eater said:
Ahhhh yes, the infamous "Green Arrow Rage Syndrome". This disease was identified around the time that the first Modern Warfare game came out. Many players began to notice that if there's a green arrow behind you on the mini-map (i.e. a random player that you're not partied with), then you're about to die. Yes, these random "green arrows" have spread from the realm of CoD into other games. The only vaccination against Green Arrow Rage Syndrome is to not play with random players. That's not to say that every Green Arrow is a carrier of this disease, but more often than not they tend to be.

I'll admit that I caught a case of GARS just last night on a Silver match on Glacier against the Reapers. I was a Quarian Engineer rocking my new - and beloved - Carnifex Hand Cannon and freeze blasts every 2 seconds. Wave 1: 2 people go down within 45 seconds...things aren't looking too good. Wave 2: Goes by relatively well. Wave 3, First Objective Wave: Kill All Enemy Targets. Targets are Marauders. I hunt down and kill one. The next one appears in that hallway behind the lab...the same lab where all 3 of my teammates - all Green Arrows - are. So I start killing the reapers down in the basement where I currently am, expecting my 3 Green Arrows to turn their attention to the target that just walked into their room. The clock gets down to 20 seconds and I notice it's still not dead. I run up the ramp to the back of the lab and sure enough, it's hiding in that back-hallway, peeking around the corner and taking shots at the Green Arrows. I waylay it with some Incinerates and Hand Cannon shots to get rid of it's shields before blasting it with some ice to freeze it and finish it off. Next target: back by the spawn, a simple "turn around and start shooting it" for my 3 Green Arrows, but apparently that was asking too much of them as they were wanting to fight their way down into the basement. I run back to the spawn and kill this one with about 10 seconds left. The final one is up in the Lab again. Yet again, all they had to do was turn around and head back up the ramp and take it out. But no, now they're fighting their way back to the spawn. By now Reapers are pouring into the spawn room from the lab entrance, effectively cutting off my shortest route to the target. So I start fighting the husks and cannibals and a couple marauders that are coming to the spawn area from the lab, making relatively quick work of them thanks to my turret and frost. By now my team had come up the stairs in the central hall and were coming into the lab from the back. Kick ass! Maybe they'll actually kill this one since it's right-frickin'-there. Nope! They're taking out the 5 husks that are running up from the basement to the center hall. So I fight my way across the lab and engage the target which is near the ramp in the back of the lab with about 10 seconds left. At this point I'm out of ammo and as such must make a 3 second detour to the lab ammo box before I can finish off the target. The target is frozen. The target has 1 segment of health left. Time runs out. Mission failure. Game over.

Failing on the first objective wave because my Green Arrows apparently couldn't see blue diamonds. That...that's a new low on the pathetic meter for me. I had caught such a horrible case of GARS that I didn't even plug my mic in to ***** them out. No, I had come full-circle, numb to all rage. I simply quietly turned off my XBox, set my controller down, then curled up in the fetal position and cuddled a pillow while crying and listening to Meatloaf's I Would Do Anything For Love.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Kinda his fault really. In games like that you can't just run in head first into a group of enemies by yourself, most of the time you will fail. Believe me, I know. >_>

Although at the same time I can't say I blame what he was trying to do. From what I've seen, people who play as Krogans tend to go and bash through enemy groups. So if done right, Krogans can be really good for fighting at close range. Although by the sounds of things, he clearly wasn't used to playing that class and didn't have proper weapons for Silver mode.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Krogan noob players are idiots when it comes to silver and gold challenges. I think they are idiots all around if they fail to realize that they are playing silver and gold and not bronze. IE I joined a game where there was a player who seemed to think that he was the best while I played a human soldier getting 4 for 1 kills with frag grenades. He just goes around bashing things with his head while I actually support my team systematically killing things with my Paladin hand cannon and my new Phaseton. I get ganked while trying to hack a server, and he goes and says that he's the best while I'm a noob, and he failed to notice that I was second ranking in the bronze challenge.

So the match is finished and I was about to leave to avoid this ass when the host left and leadership migrated towards yours truly. I decided to make things interesting and upped it to silver challenge. I waited for a new guy to enter and we started the match. The map was firebase giant and we were up against Cerberus. He goes down in the first round while the rest of us stuck together, and I said over the mic "Whats wrong? Tech armor not holding up for your rushing?" He got frustrated, and one of the other guys revived him while I watched their backs with my grenades. He goes on to say that he's still the best while an Asari Vanguard surpasses everyone. Next round he goes down again bitching and moaning wondering why the hell he was sucking. I told him he was in a silver match and he up and left right then and there. The rest of us lasted 7 rounds but it was worth seeing that little shit moan.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Vanbael said:
Krogan noob players are idiots when it comes to silver and gold challenges. I think they are idiots all around if they fail to realize that they are playing silver and gold and not bronze. IE I joined a game where there was a player who seemed to think that he was the best while I played a human soldier getting 4 for 1 kills with frag grenades. He just goes around bashing things with his head while I actually support my team systematically killing things with my Paladin hand cannon and my new Phaseton. I get ganked while trying to hack a server, and he goes and says that he's the best while I'm a noob, and he failed to notice that I was second ranking in the bronze challenge.

So the match is finished and I was about to leave to avoid this ass when the host left and leadership migrated towards yours truly. I decided to make things interesting and upped it to silver challenge. I waited for a new guy to enter and we started the match. The map was firebase giant and we were up against Cerberus. He goes down in the first round while the rest of us stuck together, and I said over the mic "Whats wrong? Tech armor not holding up for your rushing?" He got frustrated, and one of the other guys revived him while I watched their backs with my grenades. He goes on to say that he's still the best while an Asari Vanguard surpasses everyone. Next round he goes down again bitching and moaning wondering why the hell he was sucking. I told him he was in a silver match and he up and left right then and there. The rest of us lasted 7 rounds but it was worth seeing that little shit moan.
Indeed, Krogan Sentinels and Human Vanguards have about a 90% chance of carrying the GARS disease (see my previous post for a definition of GARS). They think they're the top shit down on Bronze, and then are stunned to find out "Holy shit, these things can actually hurt me on silver! You mean to tell me I CAN'T just turn myself into a battering ram anymore? This game ain't no fun no more!"

EDIT: That's why I don't play Bronze anymore. Silver tends to weed out most undesirables...until you get that guy that is just now trying out silver and hasn't figured out the first rule of "don't fucking charge the god damn enemy you slap-dick".

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Jesus christ you guys are hostile to user errors. This is why I counsel my girlfriend to never play anything higher than Bronze. God forbid she hit a learning curve and make a few mistakes, she'll have a legion of judgmental pricks up her ass.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Jesus christ you guys are hostile to user errors. This is why I counsel my girlfriend to never play anything higher than Bronze. God forbid she hit a learning curve and make a few mistakes, she'll have a legion of judgmental pricks up her ass.
There's a difference, though. When a kid sticks a fork in a light socket and gets shocked, you say "Now what did you learn?" to which the correct response is "Don't put forks in the light sockets". Very good, lesson learned, all is forgiven, medical bills are paid, and we all move on with our lives.

But how many times do you have to watch the same kid keep putting forks into light sockets before you start to realize that little Timmy might be a habitual moron?

A Krogan or Vanguard playing on Silver for the first time charges out and gets killed. I still try to help them. But when they KEEP doing the exact same thing that gets them killed without realizing "You know, I really probably should try sticking with the rest of the squad..." that's when I start to lose my "learner's curve sympathy". Because it's not a learner's curve at that point, it's them still trying to be greedy and thinking that they're an unstoppable death machine with melee attacks because that's how things worked back on Bronze.