ME3 Multiplayer: I finally had to rage at someone

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Vanbael said:
Great job. I hope that was a sobering experience for that twit. The fact that you must think before you melee once you get past Bronze must have made him sad.

I remember once I had created a Silver lobby with my 2 friends. They were both 20, I was level 19. Then a level 20 Salarian Infiltrator joined us.

My friend said: "Hey with this group, we should give it a shot on Gold."
"Hmm, yeah why not. I'll switch it to gold and see how we do."

The game started up, our enemy was cerberus.

And this random level 20 was dying left and right. Over and over. IN WAVE 1! After we'd pick him up, he'd just charge off elsewhere and get himself killed again and again.

I was stunned that this guy was such a moron. He didn't even make it past wave 2 before quitting after being dropped a total of at least 7 times. (While the rest of us were doing fine.)

After that happened, I think the problem was that this guy had no idea I switched the game to Gold after he joined. (Even though my friends and I talked about switching over our mics.)Even though he was the right level, and had the right equipment to handle gold. His mindset wasn't set on it.

Ever since then, whenever I want to switch difficulties in the lobby after people join, I simply end the lobby and re-create it in the proper difficulty level. I think then, the people (especially in regards to Gold) will join the game with the pre-existing knowledge of what they are getting themselves into. At least, i fucking hope so.

RJ 17 said:
Krogan Sentinels and Human Vanguards have about a 90% chance of carrying the GARS disease (see my previous post for a definition of GARS). They think they're the top shit down on Bronze, and then are stunned to find out "Holy shit, these things can actually hurt me on silver! You mean to tell me I CAN'T just turn myself into a battering ram anymore? This game ain't no fun no more!"

EDIT: That's why I don't play Bronze anymore. Silver tends to weed out most undesirables...until you get that guy that is just now trying out silver and hasn't figured out the first rule of "don't fucking charge the god damn enemy you slap-dick".
Unfortunately, the Vantard epidemic seems to be the worst of the bunch in my experience. I've seen some good/fairly decent Vanguards. And way, way too many fucking disgraceful vanguards. I guess every game has that one class that attracts morons like flies on shit. Gives those good Vanguards a bad rep to work against.

Even though I know good Vanguards exist. I can't help but tell myself "Oh boy, hereeee we go again" every time a Human Vanguard joins my games.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
There's a difference, though. When a kid sticks a fork in a light socket and gets shocked, you say "Now what did you learn?" to which the correct response is "Don't put forks in the light sockets". Very good, lesson learned, all is forgiven, medical bills are paid, and we all move on with our lives.

But how many times do you have to watch the same kid keep putting forks into light sockets before you start to realize that little Timmy might be a habitual moron?

A Krogan or Vanguard playing on Silver for the first time charges out and gets killed. I still try to help them. But when they KEEP doing the exact same thing that gets them killed without realizing "You know, I really probably should try sticking with the rest of the squad..." that's when I start to lose my "learner's curve sympathy". Because it's not a learner's curve at that point, it's them still trying to be greedy and thinking that they're an unstoppable death machine with melee attacks because that's how things worked back on Bronze.
What's an acceptable learning curve, though? I've been playing video games since I was in short pants. I have VOLUMINOUS gaming experience. I can learn from my mistakes quickly because I usually understand what's happening. Someone relatively new to gaming? They may not have any idea why they died, they just know that they died. So maybe now they feel embarrassed that they keep dying, and they want to try twice as hard to help out, so they keep doing the only thing they know that works...whatever was working for them back in Bronze.

Look, I ain't saying that there aren't idiots, or griefers, or people who are just plain stubborn about doing the wrong thing because "screw advice", but ya'll can be some serious mean girls when it comes to noob mistakes. You were once a noob yourself. I'd rather play with three clueless noobs than three judgmental, preening asshats moaning about the travails of tolerating the antics of lesser players.

ELD3RGoD

Apr 23, 2010
I welcome new players into my games of Silver and Gold, It's when they insult better players when things get irritating. I can handle using all of my missiles/med-gels and survival packs to win the game but insults grind my gears.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Jesus christ you guys are hostile to user errors. This is why I counsel my girlfriend to never play anything higher than Bronze. God forbid she hit a learning curve and make a few mistakes, she'll have a legion of judgmental pricks up her ass.
Meh. Mistakes happen. The trick is to learn from them.

If I'm in a game and there's a guy who keeps making mistakes, I'll try to (nicely) offer advice so that maybe things will go better next time. I was an assistant raid leader in WoW, so I'm quite familiar with dealing with this sort of thing. It's if the person keeps doing the same mistake, game after game after game... that's when I start to get irritated.

I haven't had to rage at anyone yet. I came close a few times during Operation Goliath, since people who clearly weren't ready for Silver (and certainly not Silver with Reapers as the enemy) were flooding it hoping to get mad loot.

The problem with suggesting that people play the multiplayer with friends is that it requires you to actually have friends that play the multiplayer. Most of my friends don't play Mass Effect, and the ones that do have zero interest in playing the multiplayer, so I PuG most of my games. I really don't mind it at all. Though I've seen quite a few... less than stellar... players, I certainly wouldn't call them a majority. I don't think they're really even a particularly large minority.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Prime example of why I only play co-op games with friends I know and can physically slap in real life ^_^

Plus, it's more tactical playing with friends, post-game discussion and all.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
RJ 17 said:
There's a difference, though. When a kid sticks a fork in a light socket and gets shocked, you say "Now what did you learn?" to which the correct response is "Don't put forks in the light sockets". Very good, lesson learned, all is forgiven, medical bills are paid, and we all move on with our lives.

But how many times do you have to watch the same kid keep putting forks into light sockets before you start to realize that little Timmy might be a habitual moron?

A Krogan or Vanguard playing on Silver for the first time charges out and gets killed. I still try to help them. But when they KEEP doing the exact same thing that gets them killed without realizing "You know, I really probably should try sticking with the rest of the squad..." that's when I start to lose my "learner's curve sympathy". Because it's not a learner's curve at that point, it's them still trying to be greedy and thinking that they're an unstoppable death machine with melee attacks because that's how things worked back on Bronze.
What's an acceptable learning curve, though? I've been playing video games since I was in short pants. I have VOLUMINOUS gaming experience. I can learn from my mistakes quickly because I usually understand what's happening. Someone relatively new to gaming? They may not have any idea why they died, they just know that they died. So maybe now they feel embarrassed that they keep dying, and they want to try twice as hard to help out, so they keep doing the only thing they know that works...whatever was working for them back in Bronze.

Look, I ain't saying that there aren't idiots, or griefers, or people who are just plain stubborn about doing the wrong thing because "screw advice", but ya'll can be some serious mean girls when it comes to noob mistakes. You were once a noob yourself. I'd rather play with three clueless noobs than three judgmental, preening asshats moaning about the travails of tolerating the antics of lesser players.
As I mentioned, I still try to help the players that go down. I'm not one of these "Leave the Vanguard" players. I let out a sigh then run out into the field, doing my best to get to them because it IS a team game and I don't like hurting people's feelings by making them think that the rest of the squad doesn't give a damn about them and is intentionally leaving them to die. In fact the only time I get upset during such a situation is when I get 3 steps away from their body and they bleed out.

But at what point should the noob realize "Huh, this tactic was working in Bronze. I've tried it 5 times now on Silver and all it does is get me killed. Perhaps it is time I start exploring new strategies?" Again, how many times do you watch little Timmy stick his fork in the socket before you start losing sympathy because he should know better by now? When in a game with a noob vanguard or krogan, I don't curse them out, but I try to take a more supportive role, simply suggesting that they hang back with the squad. Because quite honestly: I'm with you, I hate joining games with foul mouthed players that do nothing but piss and moan about this or that. But on that note, I tend to play while in party chat even if my friends aren't in the game with me, so I don't get to hear much of the bitching. If need be, I enter game-chat to try and give advice...but as the old saying goes: "You can't fix stupid."

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
Had much the same thing.

Guy who was the host absolutely sucked balls and had to be carried throughout.

The other two were better, but obviously not used to the classes they were using.

I carry the team to Wave 10 and then when we have to hack an objective they all fuck off and leave me there on my own so that I get swamped! The only survivor was the host who then failed the mission because he was on the other side of the map from the objective.

He then loudly anounces that we suck and closes the lobby!

At this point I had to switch of my system before I put my controller through the screen.

I hate kids :mad:

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I actually raged at someone today. Silver, Reapers...

He was afk half of the game from Waves 3 to 10. He was getting killed by freaking HUSKS. Unbuffed husks hitting on him. I don't know if he was lagging so badly he spent some waves without getting even one point, or he was eating, or he was alt tabbed half of the time, but it cost us the full extraction... miracle that we didn't get killed by banshees and brutes.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
But at what point should the noob realize "Huh, this tactic was working in Bronze.
Different for everyone, really. For instance, I suck at math. Partly because I was too lazy to study it, partly because, unlike other subjects, it just didn't come naturally to me. Perhaps you are excellent at math. You'll figure shit out quickly it might take me a month to wrap my head around, and even then I might never understand it.

You learn quickly because you're probably a very tactical thinker. You just naturally understand the breakdown of why what you're doing is a mistake. Someone else might just be thinking "I need to hit them with my head HARDER and FASTER!".

I had a friend who used to play MMOs with me. Nice lady. Very intelligent. PHD. Absolutely worthless MMO player. Just didn't GET it, on many fundamental levels. But she was a fun person, and funny, and entertaining as hell to play with, even while sucking. And this is part of what kills MMOs for me every time...players like that get driven out of the game, because there's another breed of player that just cannot stop giving them shit. And clearly you're not one of those people, but man...if I was new to ME3 multiplayer, and I read this topic, I would stay the fuck away from it forever, because I wouldn't want to be the next person in line to get ridiculed.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
When I first started playing this multiplayer, I was afraid of being 'the new guy', since I never play multiplayer in games. But what I do like about this multiplayer is that you do have to work together. While all my characters are fairly high level, I haven't been lucky enough to get any high level weapons yet, so even on bronze, I'm still emptying full clips into someones face before they go down.

Sure, I've played a few games with the ones who go charging in, and I'll usually hang back, or go for the objectives (if its relatively safe to do so.)

The one thing that does annoy me though, is in wave 11, after repeated warnings, there is sometimes that one player who just wont even bother heading to the extraction point. I mean, its not hard to fall back when the timer hits 30 seconds, right? Unless your surrounded by Geth Pyro's or those frigging ravagers, 30 seconds is easily long enough to hold out, right?

rje5

Apr 27, 2011
Eh. I typically play with 2 or 3 other friends. If we have a party of 3, we open the fourth slot to the public and roll with whoever joins. We have a private party chat so we can talk, so we never talk with the public player.

Knowing the conversations we have about why we've died, stuff can happen. I've accidentally biotic charged into the back of a group, when I meant to charge into the front so I could back up and escape. I know they can't get me so I bleed out. No hard feelings, it was a mistake. Or sometimes when someone is down, the others can say how many more people are left. If there's only a few enemies, they don't need to risk it to get me and I won't waste a medi gel to get back up. They'll kill the rest and I'll revive at the end of the round.

But if someone is consistently getting killed and not communicating, that's his problem and I don't waste my time getting upset over someone like that. Just deal with it during the game, and then back out of the lobby after that.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
RJ 17 said:
But at what point should the noob realize "Huh, this tactic was working in Bronze.
Different for everyone, really. For instance, I suck at math. Partly because I was too lazy to study it, partly because, unlike other subjects, it just didn't come naturally to me. Perhaps you are excellent at math. You'll figure shit out quickly it might take me a month to wrap my head around, and even then I might never understand it.

You learn quickly because you're probably a very tactical thinker. You just naturally understand the breakdown of why what you're doing is a mistake. Someone else might just be thinking "I need to hit them with my head HARDER and FASTER!".

I had a friend who used to play MMOs with me. Nice lady. Very intelligent. PHD. Absolutely worthless MMO player. Just didn't GET it, on many fundamental levels. But she was a fun person, and funny, and entertaining as hell to play with, even while sucking. And this is part of what kills MMOs for me every time...players that that get driven out of the game, because there's another breed of player that just cannot stop giving them shit. And clearly you're not one of those people, but man...if I was new to ME3 multiplayer, and I read this topic, I would stay the fuck away from it forever, because I wouldn't want to be the next person in line to get ridiculed.
Indeed, I'd venture to say that I'm one of the nicer people as far as multiplayer is concerned, especially in co-op. Like you mentioned a couple posts before: we were all noobs at some point. Rather than drop a series of f-bombs with variations of the word "suck", I find it's better to try and teach...though this becomes more difficult when the noob doesn't have a mic.

All I'm saying is that you don't necessarily need to know WHY what you're doing is no longer working, all you need to know is THAT what you're doing is no longer working. Yet despite this, I still cloak my infiltrator and make a mad-dash to pick them up. And in cases where they just absolutely refuse to NOT get themselves killed, I'll eventually take the role of their "guardian angel" and stick with them wherever they go...partly knowing that they're most likely about to die, but mostly because I'm trying to prevent their death by providing backup even if it means that I'll be getting assists while they're getting kills. >.> not much I can do when a vanguard charges a banshee standing between a brute and a ravager...

Still, in general, I have a lot of fun in the ME 3 Multiplayer and I want the people I'm playing with to have fun as well. Well, except in the case that I mentioned in my first response to this topic...in that case I literally might as well have been trying to solo Silver. I just couldn't understand how they could be in the same room as a target and yet fight their way OUT of the room and away from the target. I haven't lost my patience many times in ME 3 multiplayer, but I certainly did in that situation.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Indeed, I'd venture to say that I'm one of the nicer people as far as multiplayer is concerned, especially in co-op. Like you mentioned a couple posts before: we were all noobs at some point. Rather than drop a series of f-bombs with variations of the word "suck", I find it's better to try and teach...though this becomes more difficult when the noob doesn't have a mic.
I play without a mic. Unless I take leave of my senses and start raiding in a MMO again, I intend to remain micless. I know I just waxed philosophical about the gentle nature of noobs and how we all need to be nicer to one another, but the last thing I need is to listen to the patter of the unwashed gaming community at large. Yes, I know you think I'm gay, thanks. Yes, fuck you too. No, I don't need to suck your balls, thanks for asking. Yes, we showed those faggy Geth, didn't we. Rock on, space brothers.

If this means I'll occasionally get blindsided by a Brute someone could've warned me about, so be it. SMALL PRICE TO PAY, says I.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
RJ 17 said:
I play without a mic. Unless I take leave of my senses and start raiding in a MMO again, I intend to remain micless. I know I just waxed philosophical about the gentle nature of noobs and how we all need to be nicer to one another, but the last thing I need is to listen to the patter of the unwashed gaming community at large. Yes, I know you think I'm gay, thanks. Yes, fuck you too. No, I don't need to suck your balls, thanks for asking. Yes, we showed those faggy Geth, didn't we. Rock on, space brothers.

If this means I'll occasionally get blindsided by a Brute someone could've warned me about, so be it. SMALL PRICE TO PAY, says I.
:p and that brings up why I don't play in game chat very often and prefer to remain in party chat with my friends even if said friends aren't in the game with me. I will say I absolutely LOVE the team spirit and coordination that comes with being in a party with 3 friends and calling out "Brute coming down the middle." or "3 phantoms in the hallway" or "Ahhh fuck we've got hunters in the room with us!" Really adds to the excitement of the situation if you ask me. As far as the general game chat goes though...yyyyyeeeeah, I prefer to avoid that. Inevitably you'll get the 9 year old who's cussing like a sailor, the guy who thinks that everyone loves listening to his gangster rap collection, the moron who's mic is super-sensitive so you hear every-single-thing that happens in his house (no joke, the other night I actually heard someone's cat meow as though the cat were wearing the headset. >.> in hindsight, given the nature of cats and gamers and the internet...there's a chance the cat WAS wearing the headset...). So if none of my friends are on to chat with, yeah, I just forgo the mic altogether...unless, as I mentioned, I feel the need to offer some constructive criticism to someone who seems to be struggling with the "fork in the light socket" concept. :p

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This is why I was so angry that they decided to essentially make multiplayer a requirement. All of the "Paying extra to microsoft" to play aside. I DON'T WANT TO SHARE MY GAME WITH OTHERS!

So thanks for helping me recognize why I did not want multiplayer in the first place!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
carpathic said:
This is why I was so angry that they decided to essentially make multiplayer a requirement. All of the "Paying extra to microsoft" to play aside. I DON'T WANT TO SHARE MY GAME WITH OTHERS!

So thanks for helping me recognize why I did not want multiplayer in the first place!
You could always solo. By wave 10 it would be super exciting.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Jesus christ you guys are hostile to user errors. This is why I counsel my girlfriend to never play anything higher than Bronze. God forbid she hit a learning curve and make a few mistakes, she'll have a legion of judgmental pricks up her ass.
Say your're new and everything will be ok.
No, you don't even have to say anything, people will assume you're new.

But if you act like a moron, flame at everyone and repeat the same damn mistake over and over again... it's your own fault. Only few people rage at new players. Most people rage at pricks who act like they are God of the game, but are actually some of the worst players ever.