Meaning of Life

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
Okay, this may sound like a really stupid idea, but I want to start a discussion on theology. I don't want a religious debate, I don't think we'll come up with a meaning to life or anything, (there probably isn't one anyway) but I want to put some of my ideas out, I want to hear some of yours, and I want to see if we get anywhere.

This could be about the same as expecting 50 monkeys to write shakespeare, but I don't care if it takes 1000 generations of supermonkeys trapped to their typewriters until they do come up with shakespeare, I will get SOMETHING out of this.

So here it goes, I have come up with 3 concepts to start this off.

1) Choice is the one difference between man from other beings, the ability to make choices and reflect on said choices. AKA being sentient

2) These choices affect those around the choicemaker, and affect the choicemaker himself. (Not necessarily directly, but somewhere along the line)

3) Choices are the way we pick our destiny or fate. "Destiny" can be mapped out as an inevitability, I think that technically, every possibility or consequence of any choice is determinable, and therefore your choice in any matter, no matter what choice you make, will lead you into a determinable, inevitable destiny.

For example you're in a car and come to a fork in the road. There are literally trillions of possibilities of what could happen next, but let's simplify it and say you are either going left or right. Now no matter what your choice is, inevitably you will end up to the left or to the right, but either scenario will have a profound difference. I look upon fate and destiny as determinable by choice, by the choices we make, and the choices those around us make. There is such a thing as destiny as technically, every possiblity could be mapped out. (not by man, we are nowhere near intelligent enough) So inevitably you are stuck with one of those possibilities, AKA destiny. But it is the choice that leads you into said destiny.

So let's discuss this, you can ask me about something, introduce a new idea, get me to elaborate my idea, you can even denounce me as a heretic and start your own personal holy war against me, but I really do want to hear what you've got to say.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
I don't really care if there is a meaning of life knowing it won't change anything.

Play me off Johnny!

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
shatnershaman said:
I don't really care if there is a meaning of life knowing it won't change anything.

Play me off Johnny!
That's great to know. I think that one of the secrets to true happiness in life is accepting that there is no meaning or grand scheme, and you just have to take it like it is.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
We are just a mistake created by Cthulhu. When the stars allign he will awaken from his dreaming in R'yleh and destroy us all.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
PurpleRain said:
We are just a mistake created by Cthulhu. When the stars allign he will awaken from his dreaming in R'yleh and destroy us all.
Cthulhu you say? But what will I do if I'm allergic to fish?!??!?! Can I be created by something I'm allergic to? What if Cthulhu prefers the people who are allergic to him? What about people who are allergic to peanuts? Will a giant snoopy descend from the heavens and kill them for cthulhu? What if a sushi chef eats cthulhu? Would that be art of cthulhu mistake? Which stars are going to align??!?!? What direction are they going to align in? Will it be a straight line? A circle? What if we destroy one of the stars?!?!? What if cthulu took too many sleeping pills and never wakes up? Will he not come back? What if cthulu is an insomniac, and never went to sleep??!?!

You know man, this shit keeps me up at night.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
just gonna put it out there

42!!
Damn, okay boys, it's over. He got the answer.

(infuriated disagreement)

No, I'm serious, he's right, wenow know that the answer is forty two, I'm sorry, its just the answer. Clever bastard.

LOL I expected that damned HHGTTG reference at some point...

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Somethingironic said:
PurpleRain said:
Cthulhu you say? But what will I do if I'm allergic to fish?!??!?! Can I be created by something I'm allergic to? What if Cthulhu prefers the people who are allergic to him? What about people who are allergic to peanuts? Will a giant snoopy descend from the heavens and kill them for cthulhu? What if a sushi chef eats cthulhu? Would that be art of cthulhu mistake? Which stars are going to align??!?!? What direction are they going to align in? Will it be a straight line? A circle? What if we destroy one of the stars?!?!? What if cthulu took too many sleeping pills and never wakes up? Will he not come back? What if cthulu is an insomniac, and never went to sleep??!?!

Cthulhu will eat your soul regardless of race, gender or allergies.
I'm sure it would be in Cthulhu's sick games to create someone allergic to him.
Cthulhu is Godzilla sized. It will take at least a hundred Japanese Sushi chefs to take him down.
The star will allign in a big smily face above your house.
Cthulhu might OD if he ate too many sleeping pills. Which is a good thing. I don't particularly want to be driven into insanity and die masturbating to dead birds while having my soul sucked out.
And if he was an insomniac, he might get a split personality and make a fight club with the other outter gods.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Why would life have a meaning? Meaning is a construct of our minds, which are just a result of the evolution process which moved us up the food chain.

Though, our bodies seem to retain a survial mechainsm from the single celled days... so there's atleast a basic "want" for life. Life seems to live for the sake of living, though... no actual meaning other than it's self.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Somethingironic said:
PurpleRain said:

Cthulhu will eat your soul regardless of race, gender or allergies.
I'm sure it would be in Cthulhu's sick games to create someone allergic to him.
Cthulhu is Godzilla sized. It will take at least a hundred Japanese Sushi chefs to take him down.
The star will allign in a big smily face above your house.
Cthulhu might OD if he ate too many sleeping pills. Which is a good thing. I don't particularly want to be driven into insanity and die masturbating to dead birds while having my soul sucked out.
And if he was an insomniac, he might get a split personality and make a fight club with the other outter gods.
Well in that case....

Suppose humanity manufactured a super robo sushi chef that was the size of cthulhu? Could we then take him down? If we ate said sushi, would we suffer the consequences of the chocolate shotgun of explosive diarhea?!?!?! And if he did start a fight club, and one of the other gods won and knocked cthulhu unconscious, would that count as him sleeping!!?!?!? WHat if cthulhu was put in a coma? Could we take him off life support to stop him? Or would the republicans get to him first?

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Why would life have a meaning? Meaning is a construct of our minds, which are just a result of the evolution process which moved us up the food chain.

Though, our bodies seem to retain a survial mechainsm from the single celled days... so there's atleast a basic "want" for life. Life seems to live for the sake of living, though... no actual meaning other than it's self.
Right... And I said I don't believe in a meaning to life, read the OP before posting please.

I just want to figure out a constant in the universe, or adapt my own understanding on different issues, such as:

Say I saw the colour you identify as blue, but to me, and everybody else, that colour is green? I can point at a pair of pink pants and tell you that that colour is pink, and you will agree. But although we both label it as being pink, what if simultaneously we both see a different colour? How would we know?!?!?

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Somethingironic said:
Say I saw the colour you identify as blue, but to me, and everybody else, that colour is green? I can point at a pair of pink pants and tell you that that colour is pink, and you will agree. But although we both label it as being pink, what if simultaneously we both see a different colour? How would we know?!?!?
You could get a computer to tell you the right answer.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Somethingironic said:
Well in that case....

Suppose humanity manufactured a super robo sushi chef that was the size of cthulhu? Could we then take him down? If we ate said sushi, would we suffer the consequences of the chocolate shotgun of explosive diarhea?!?!?! And if he did start a fight club, and one of the other gods won and knocked cthulhu unconscious, would that count as him sleeping!!?!?!? WHat if cthulhu was put in a coma? Could we take him off life support to stop him? Or would the republicans get to him first?
The robo sushi chef would develop AI and go mad by looking at it.
If we ate the Cthulhu sushi, it would tear itself out from us and reform, which is a lot worse then explosive diarhea.
The republicans would fight for him seeing as they're already apart of the cult of Cthulhu.

Back on topic:
I just relised, we have no perpose in life after we stopped getting eaten by other animals. As soon as we broke out of the food chain and the circle of life, we created our own laws and rules making us unique. Neat.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
shatnershaman said:
Somethingironic said:
You could get a computer to tell you the right answer.
But the computer works on triggers, and therefore it's opinion would be a reflection of the triggers it's programmers put in place, and therefore a reflection of the programmers' experiences with colour.

On another unrelated note, have you ever thought of a new primary colour?

It's impossible.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Back on topic:
I just relised, we have no perpose in life after we stopped getting eaten by other animals. As soon as we broke out of the food chain and the circle of life, we created our own laws and rules making us unique. Neat.
There we go! Now we're getting someplace!

But that means your definition of a purpose in life is getting eaten...

I don't think it was the laws and rules that made us unique, I think it's the fact that one day we looked at our action and finally asked:

WHY?

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Somethingironic said:
But the computer works on triggers, and therefore it's opinion would be a reflection of the triggers it's programmers put in place, and therefore a reflection of the programmers' experiences with colour.
Or it could measure the electromagnetic radiation.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
Alright, so you could measure the light ray and find the energy and all of that. But that doesn't change the fact that although by all technicalities my shirt is blue. Somebody still may see it as a green shirt, but they'll still call it blue, as that is what they have always been told their green is.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Somethingironic said:
Alright, so you could measure the light ray and find the energy and all of that. But that doesn't change the fact that although by all technicalities my shirt is blue. Somebody still may see it as a green shirt, but they'll still call it blue, as that is what they have always been told their green is.
Yea so they're wrong that's the point there is a definitive answer.

Somethingironic

Jul 5, 2008
But not to that person. You could say the definitive answer to life is 42 by your logic, but by all the logic and experience according to the other person it's not. I'm saying that yea, there are definitive colours, but what if somebody saw colours differently? Would they paint differently? Would they colour differently? How would they feel if they were told they were seeing the colours wrong? What about if you're colour blind? You're still seeing the colour, but your eye is interpreting it as being black and white. Although science say yes, if my body and instinct says no, and all my experiences in the world say no, I think I would disagree with any such "definitive answer."