Meet the (Female) Team With These Dashing Team Fortress 2 Portraits

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
jeff the mighty said:
the pyro souldnt have a face, other than that its pretty cool
V da Mighty Taco said:
Most of these aren't bad, but the Pyro in particular fails because the Pyro's face isn't meant to be seen. The sense of mystery that defines the Pyro is completely absent here. Otherwise, they aren't bad but could be better.

EDIT: Do have to give props to the Heavy, Soldier, and Medic though. They actually look the part.
It's worth noting that on the artists Deviantart page [http://prospass.deviantart.com/], he updated the pyro to have a gasmask.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Kargathia said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
What these two said. I think it's fair to say that direct copies of the characters in the original TF2 style have been done to death, so unless you actually need the distinct silhouettes for gameplay purposes why not change them up a bit? They look pretty good to me.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
Hello Miss Engineer. What are you doing tonight? I was hoping you could assist me in building something?

By far my favorite of them all.
Dispensin' an erection?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Because if I'm in a firefight as the other person said, I shouldn't have to look at them for 2 seconds to recognise them.

Based on your first point: I (and many others) feel the criticism is valid. If you do a project on something and remove a large aspect of what made the original special then of course people are going to disapprove.

Take a look at what MB posted.

Moonlight Butterfly said:
Didn't Chemical Alia do some awesome female TF2 models?

I'm sure they were much better than these ones.

Now THAT looks awesome. You could definitely see this in TF2, she fits right in. Look back at the other engie. You would never know it was related to TF2 unless we were told.
But those are actual in-game models. These aren't. That's the difference, and that's why it doesn't matter if these images don't follow the distinct-silhouette rule and other specifics of the TF2 visual design. You aren't going to have to quickly identify them in a firefight because they're just pictures.

Meatspinner

Feb 4, 2011
Palademon said:
The Spy is missing...

Or is she?

Yeah, I know I'm stupid for skimming.
But seriously, why no spy?
The spy is there guys, just look a little closer at the pyro image

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
It's amazing that someone who understands art so well can manage to not understand it at all. It's completely visually uninteresting to see characters from an interesting and distinct art style be transformed in a common one.

Awesome work, but I come away feeling meh. Which is hard to do with TF2 for me.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
Matthew94 said:
Because if I'm in a firefight as the other person said, I shouldn't have to look at them for 2 seconds to recognise them.

Based on your first point: I (and many others) feel the criticism is valid. If you do a project on something and remove a large aspect of what made the original special then of course people are going to disapprove.

Moonlight Butterfly said:
Didn't Chemical Alia do some awesome female TF2 models?

I'm sure they were much better than these ones.

Now THAT looks awesome. You could definitely see this in TF2, she fits right in. Look back at the other engie. You would never know it was related to TF2 unless we were told.
But those are actual in-game models. These aren't. That's the difference, and that's why it doesn't matter if these images don't follow the distinct-silhouette rule and other specifics of the TF2 visual design. You aren't going to have to quickly identify them in a firefight because they're just pictures.

I can appreciate the person has talent but I don't have to like something regardless of how many times I get quoted to be told that I am wrong for not liking it.
Erm... Okay. I'm not saying you have to like it. I just don't see why it's invalid to approach something with a different visual style, especially when that original visual style was adopted for mainly practical reasons.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Did you even read my post? These aren't supposed to be in-game character models, they're just portraits based on TF2. Nothing more.

Apples and oranges. Both artists are going for completely different goals, so you can't really compare their work in that way.

I can appreciate the person has talent but I don't have to like something regardless of how many times I get quoted to be told that I am wrong for not liking it.
But... you ARE wrong*. No, I'm not saying that you have to like the artwork. That IS, after-all, your own opinion. Just saying that your reasoning behind your opinion is flawed. You're asking for the art to be something that the artist never intended for it to be. It'd be like if I said "Yes, I'm aware that this is a fine chair, but my computer will never fit on it as a desk, so it's a terrible design".

*Edit: And yes, contrary to what your 2nd grade teacher told you as an impressionable 8-year-old, opinions CAN be wrong; like when the person gives facts to support his opinion as you have.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Meatspinner said:
Palademon said:
The Spy is missing...

Or is she?

Yeah, I know I'm stupid for skimming.
But seriously, why no spy?
The spy is there guys, just look a little closer at the pyro image
Wow, nice eye. I really didn't see that. Looking at it again, though, he did remember to include the spy.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Matthew94 said:
My opinion is valid and you cannot say it is wrong and be right.
See, and that's how I know you aren't actually reading my posts. I'm not attacking your opinion, I'm attacking the reasons behind your opinion. As I already said (that you clearly didn't read and/or ignored), you're allowed to like or dislike the pictures as you see fit. It's when you present reasons that are factually inaccurate that things get called into question.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Jove said:
Fappy said:
The Soldier is the best by far. Not sure why, but it was the only one that made me smile.
Judging by the 2nd comment and this one, maybe its because the Soldier is by far the prettiest one. 0_0
That's kind of my problem with "meet the female team" fan pics. They always make all the characters into sexy, young 20 somethings, whilst the original team are much more diverse in ages, figures and looks. Only the heavy and the demo are particularly close to their male counterparts. Even the doctor (the male of whom I imagine to be in his 40s, at least) looks young.

Still, very well drawn all the same. At least this one didn't go crazy with midriffs and boobs, like some of the others I've seen. There was this game designer who actually did strive to make 3D models to use in the game - they were much more closer. Wonder if he ever got finished.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
JoshV said:
Meet the (Female) Team With These Dashing Team Fortress 2 Portraits

The nine classes of Team Fortress 2 have become wildly popular - and, indeed, memetic - in the five years since the game's release, owing much to their diverse and unique personalities, and overall quirkiness. But the lack of female representation in the cast has been a sticking point for fans of the game for almost as long, spawning everything from mods to a wealth of fan art depicting our favorite mercenaries in all their feminine glory.

[gallery=882]

Even so, it's rare to find such quality in fan art as this awesome collection of gender-swapped Team Fortress 2 classes, painted by French artist *Prospass [http://prospass.deviantart.com/]. His collection depicts the classes in a slightly more realistic syle, blending some traditional colors and familiar silhouettes in his portrayal of classes like the Heavy and Demoman, with more unique depictions of classes like the now-weathered and battle-hardened scout. Perhaps the most faithful recreation, however, is *Prospass's female spy. So stealthy, she is, that she does not actually appear in this gallery.

It seems the fans of Team Fortress 2 may be trying to send Valve a message. Perhaps Valve is listening. Perhaps, someday, we'll see official female depictions of our favorite Team Fortress 2 classes. On the other hand, this is the same company that, five years later, is still not even talking about Episode 3. For now, we can only hope.

This is a pretty good article. The only feedback I have is that the author is clearly a mercenary, and should be fired and have his incinerators thrown into a pit.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Not too excited... Some were nice and recognizable, but many of them left me confused. Should have watched Valve's commentary on how they did the character designs. It's pretty much instantaneous to recognize every class in Valve's case. That didn't apply here though.