Meet the (Female) Team With These Dashing Team Fortress 2 Portraits

Muffin Button

Aug 25, 2012
Judgement101 said:
What the hell?! No spy? There is only 8 pictures and 9 classes -_-, I was hoping for sexy spy
I think the pyro finished her off before her picture got done...
You're not femscout's Dad by any chance?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
These are pretty awesome, though I've seen better (only because they fitted the TF2 aesthetic better). What I'd really like to see would be to see Valve do an expansion/patch with Female versions of the team complete with voice-acting (same lines but with female voice actors), have mixed teams so that there's a good combination of people. I think that would be excellent. Of course it might not work because of quite -how- well characterised the Team is, but hey. It's an excellent idea in principle. :p Maybe we could have an entire new team of Mercenaries? :O If it ever happens it happens quite a ways in the future methinks, after MvM has had a while to subside.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
But I'm not forcing my opinion down anyone's throat... Look, I wasn't even saying that he was forcing his opinion down anyone else's throat either. I'm just questioning his reasoning because I don't get it and wondering why he's getting so defensive about it. Of course he's allowed to have a different opinion than me, if anyone thinks it's crap than they can go ahead but they should be ready for people questioning that opinion.

But hey, if you try having an actual debate about something's artistic merit then this is what you get. Maybe I shouldn't have gone all Inquisition about it, but saying that something is your opinion doesn't help anyone understand anything.
I understand what you are saying, but you are wasting your time trying to explain it. Thinking about how to critique things and discuss the reasons you like or don't like something in an analytical manner is beyond many people.

Anyway, the pics are a bit hackneyed for my tastes. I don't care for them.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
jeff the mighty said:
the pyro souldnt have a face, other than that its pretty cool
V da Mighty Taco said:
Most of these aren't bad, but the Pyro in particular fails because the Pyro's face isn't meant to be seen. The sense of mystery that defines the Pyro is completely absent here. Otherwise, they aren't bad but could be better.

EDIT: Do have to give props to the Heavy, Soldier, and Medic though. They actually look the part.
It's worth noting that on the artists Deviantart page [http://prospass.deviantart.com/], he updated the pyro to have a gasmask.

That's definitely an improvement. Still has some problems that some of the others do (like not including the primary weapon, especially on the Pyro), but it's noticeably more recognizable that it's suppose to be the Pyro than it was before.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Damn good stuff: I especially like how he doesn't go the cheesecake route in terms of having planet-sized boobs. There's plenty of decent TF2 female artwork, but precious little of it is more than T&A.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
The Soldier and Scout are the ones that stand out for me. I find the fascination with female TF2 characters well, fascinating. There's no real reason to have them, yet we want them.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Metalrocks said:
some kind of flirting like female heavy and male heavy.
That is why female classes should be avoided at all costs. Besides Sasha wouldn't take it kindly.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
jeff the mighty said:
the pyro souldnt have a face, other than that its pretty cool
What?! Are you ignoring the fact that amongst these gender swapped cretins that the Pyro is depicted with the wrong gender in its respective image?

Hint, Hint. ;)

Jan 11, 2009
I don't think Valve will ever add female versions, I remember reading somewhere that they spent a great deal of time trying to make each class's silhouette easily recognizable from the others and all of the ones above look really similar.

Turner Shanks

Mar 5, 2012
NuclearShadow said:
A great example of this would be L4D's concept art. You can really see the similarities yet
quite the evolution the characters had from the concept art and through the model changes in development. http://www.giantbomb.com/left-4-dead/61-20690/concept-art/52-104082/concept_survivors/51-218687/
One issue with that is the fact that the concept art there is of the very early scrapped survivor designs. The characters all underwent some degree of change for a variety of reasons, Louis even had his back-story rewritten.

The end result was new concept art representing "realistic" characters (in that they seemed everyday) rather than gritty badasses who could chew up and spit out a zombie apocalypse. That concept art you posted even made it to being modeled:
http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/f/f4/The_Survivors_alley2-1280.jpg
Meanwhile the concept art for the survivors we know and love is much closer to what made the game:
http://images.wikia.com/left4dead/images/5/5e/New-concept-characters.jpg

Team Fortress 2 originally was taking a realistic approach in the style of this:
[link]http://wiki.teamfortress.com/w/images/1/15/Invhumancommando.png[/link]
but they ditched that in order to have the more happy-go-lucky propaganda poster style we all know and love. Had this artist posted these (rather nicely drawn) pictures under the guise of "what could have been" it would be fine, but instead it represents characters we know well in a style that is jarring and makes comparison difficult, a bad idea when its sole purpose is to be compared to the male mercs.

Edit: The first and third images turned out a bit large, adding links above the spoiler tags for anyone that doesn't want it cluttering up the page. (second one too for the sake of being comprehensive.)

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I never in my 21 years of life thought I'd come across a fanart discussion where people find issue with the art being too good. Escapist, bitches!

Though, I guess to be fair I'm not an active fan/player of the game in the first place, so maybe there are some intricacies I'm missing. Eh, whatever.

Anyway, my personal favorites are definitely Lady Heavy, Lady Soldier and Lady Medic.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Radoh said:
For one, they are all too pretty to be mercenaries getting gibbed on a regular basis.
For two, isn't the point of them all looking drastically different being able to immediately knowing what's barreling down on you? I didn't recognize most of them at first glance, which is a problem.
^ Pretty much what I was thinking, thanks for putting it better than I could.

Anyways, I'm too focused on how it would affect gameplay to appreciate their looks. The original characters are pretty much perfect IMO, so its not like these are needed or even wanted.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
These are way too tame to excite me as a TF2 thing. The Heavy is especially disappointing.

When I picture a female Heavy, I see a big, chunky woman with hair in tight leia buns, wearing panty hose and looking like an abusively strict mother from a hansel and gretelesque story.

And scout should have +10 sass and -12 Ninja.

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Decent art, the medic is by far my favorite. Don't understand why people are hating just because it doesn't use the TF2 art style. No one has suggested that these should be put into the game. It's fan art. As in, an artistic rendition of something they're a fan of. Jeez.

I think the reason Valve didn't and hasn't implemented female characters is because it doesn't matter. Each class serves a specific purpose on the team and counters other classes and blah blah blah... making certain classes female would undermine that class, since most gamers are male. If they implemented a whole set of selectable female character models, that might work, but I think most people would hate them. Just imagine it. I'm already fucking sick of the female engineer's voice, and she doesn't even exist.