Meet the New Bat-Guys

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The Batman movies lost their "real world" stuff for me when the Joker backed a school bus through a building, filled it with cash, pulled it out of the building just in time to fit into a line of moving school buses in the middle of the day, and NO ONE goes, "Hey, that's kind of odd."
And Scarecrow wore a mask that made him look like a scarecrow. I don't see what the problem is with Catwoman. I do agree on Bane though. That's a head scratching choice.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
I am worried about this, hes done great so far but can he follow the dark knight with something even better? I doubt it, and with these characters I don't see where hes going. I was hoping for Dr. Hugo Strange, I could see him making something good out of that at least. But if bane breaks batman's back then it might be good after all

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
What happened to Tom Hardy playing Hugo Strange? I read that somewhere and that sounded like a good way to go for the psychological aspect of the Nolan-Batman series. Not to mention the fact that I could even see Hugo Strange and Bane (or one of the other "strong-man" villains) being in one movie. Strange finds out Bruce's alter ego is Batman (which happens in the comic). He psychologically tortures Bruce/Batman with a variety of methods, ending in releasing another one of his experiments on him in hopes to break the Batman and, perhaps, take the role himself (this other experiment being Bane and the "taking the Batman role" is sorta what happened in the comic).

That made sense to me. Then I heard Hardy dropped out. Now he's back in as Bane and we have Catwoman. The combination seems idiotic to a degree. Major female role in a Nolan film does have me a little worried. Plus with the recent failure of a Catwoman movie, this might risk putting some people off, even if it is Batman. And the only reason I'm skeptical on Bane (even with my awesome idea for a "team-up" with Strange) is because of Batman Forever (was that the one he was in?). Two failures for two rather uninteresting characters. They both only really have one thing going for them. Sex or drugs. Since Batman isn't really known for Rock n' Roll, I can see this combination having some issues once it hits the screen.

Does anyone else think this is a proper way to end the series? Especially after the roller-coaster of a movie that Dark Knight was? My expectation was that Nolan was going to try going for bigger and more amazing. I knew, thinking that, it would be hard to top Joker AND Two-Face since they are among Bat's top villains. But it seems odd to follow such a great act like that with Catwoman and Bane...

Sidenote: It depresses me that we'll never have a movie with Clayface. I mean, I knew that Nolan would probably never do it. It's just sad that it still hasn't happened, regardless of reason.

EDIT:

psrdirector said:
damn it should of had the Riddler, or the guy everyone forgets HUGO STRANGE, the first super villain batman fought predates robin and the joker.
Total agreement there. Why Riddler was overlooked and dismissed so early is baffling. He would have been better than either one of these guys.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
SkullCap said:
Bob,

Concerning Bane I see a possible action for Nolan: Being together with Rachel was a major driving force of Bruce's desire to fight crime and restore Gotham to its original glory. Now that Rachel is gone all that he has going for him is the sense of personal duty to be the city's Dark Knight. However, being human like any of us and hunted throughout the city, this is wearing thin for him. He's tired of being Batman. This is where Bane enters the story. Remember the imitators in DK?

There's a high possibility of Bane being one of those imitators that adores Batman. What if he notices that Batman, his idol, is faltering with cleaning up the streets? A fan seeing their hero fall from their pedestal is devastating. He wants to fight crime just like Batman so bad that Bane would think that HE should take Batman's place. In several comics he's known to be somewhat of a genius. Maybe create a exoskeleton that increases one's strength ten-fold, but how can any normal human being last that long in such a physically demanding suit? Perhaps Bane creates a compound (VENOM) that drastically increases his body's endurance, stamina, and strength to handle the suit. Now he's going through the streets at night and taking out the crime everywhere. This garners Bane the love of the public perhaps. The majority of Gotham citizens still think Batman killed Harvey Dent, but here comes the new hope: Bane. The Joker nearly broke Batman in DK, Bane is here to finish it.

Slowly overexposure to the VENOM compound slowly deteriorates Bane's mental capacity and he starts killing the criminals. Now Bane's view of justice black and white. No mercy, no matter what the crime.

Maybe thats just me.
Not bad, not bad at all, I'd watch it

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Acting like a FOOL said:
GiantRaven said:
FANBOY MOMENT INCOMING!

Bane does not suck. For proof; here is a picture of Bane riding a T-Rex [http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/1/6/16067_400x600.jpg].

Or, to put it another way , read Secret Six.
That's SPAWN, you fool! I don't love you anymore; this relationship is OVER!
Is it really? Because that was the first thought I had when I saw it.

EDIT:

GiantRaven said:
Ha! Incorrect! Here [http://www.razorfine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/secret-six-27.jpg] is the same picture with comic title intact. Secret Six is a DC anti-villain team featuring Bane.
Interesting. Though I think we can all agree that this design is informed by the Spawn aesthetic.
Anyway, I think the only question mark left for the main cast is in the forgotten/rejected military technology category. So far we had the wheeled, high-speed tank and skyhook. If the Penguin were a villain, I'd vote for training dolphins as an aquatic bomb squad, but Bane and Catwoman don't really suggest anything. Unless there's military research into reconstructing shattered spines.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
K_Dub said:
GiantRaven said:
K_Dub said:
HAHAHAHA! Oh shit that's bad ass!

Anyway, I'm worried about Bane being the (main?) villian. He's just so...comic-y. I was honestly expecting Penguin or Ivy. I feel they could be Nolan-ized pretty well. I just hope Nolan knows what he's doing.
Bane is 'comicy' but The Penguin and Poison Ivy aren't? Hell, how is Bane more 'comicy' than the Joker, R'as al Ghul and the Scarecrow?
Sorry, I'll elaborate. I've had several discussions with a couple of my friends, and we just feel that Penguin and Ivy would be better suited because they could make an easier transition into the Nolan-verse.

Take Ivy for example. In the comics, a genetically modified hottie with power to control plants who wants to destroy Gotham because they mistreat the ecosystem (or something along those lines, never read the comics). In the Nolan-verse, she's a hottie who is knowledgeable in the field of plant life and poisons, and uses this knowledge to poison and kill powerful government workers within Gotham because they mistreat etc.

Bane on the other hand, in the Nolan-verse, he could be a mob boss I guess? Which could be interesting for sure, but I just feel that Ivy or Penguin, or hell even Talia al Ghul are far more interesting characters. Bane just seems one-deminsional.
Why do people keep saying mob boss? I was thinking something along the lines of a Villainous Count of Monte Cristo. It could work pretty well I think. Wayne/Batman is the rich socialite who has everything. Bane, while still having a similar kind of drive to succeed in his goals has to do things the hard way, and if there is going to be venom involved, maybe he'll be impatient and rather than devoting years to training he'll supplement himself with an enhancement.

Apr 17, 2009
Why is it so hard to accept Nolan putting Selina Kyle in a cat-themed outfit when he's already got a guy leaping about the place in bat-themed body-armour. You know, the titular character?
In the film Bruce uses bats because he sees them as a symbol of fear, and uses that symbolism to strike fear into others. So maybe Catwoman has a cat theme because she sees them as a symbol of good fortune (as in China) or just swiftness/agility and likewise wants to use that symbolism for her own ends.
She could be a dark mirror to Batman, a "this is what you might have been" thing, which has already been touched upon in the franchise.
Which brings me to Bane, as it happens. In the comics he's stronger than Batman and at least as smart if not smarter. Another dark mirror. With Gotham seeing batman as a Dark Knight, a guy who isn't quite on the same side as the law, in comes Bane to show Batman what he'd be like if he [i}really[/i] wasn't with the law. Using the bane from Batman and Robin isn't helping as that was a woeful adaption of the character.
With both there's a theme of temptation as well. Catwoman is temptation of the heart, something to fill the void left by Rachel, an idea which fits perfectly with your view of 'chaotic feminine influences' since she's essentially a thief. With Bane there's the temptation of resorting to more lethal measures. You can't beat him in a straight fight, so Batman has to resist using guns or taking steroids himself.

Incidentally, Bane doesn't have to have chemical tubes pumping him with venom. He could just be taking regular steroids. And this
And let's not start on the "why is he wearing the mask" thing
is kind of a ridiculous argument. You think maybe he's wearing a mask because he's a criminal and doesn't want to be recognised? Or to intimidate others, becoming this big faceless giant? You might as well ask why Batman wears a mask if you find it such a weird concept

Suula

May 3, 2009
GiantRaven said:
FANBOY MOMENT INCOMING!

Bane does not suck. For proof; here is a picture of Bane riding a T-Rex [http://www.dccomics.com/media/product/1/6/16067_400x600.jpg].

Or, to put it another way , read Secret Six.
I have to agree. Bane does an awesome job of coordinating rookies like black alice and second rate villains like catman. Secret six really makes him shine.

Also: celina kyle = romance interest?

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
SkullCap said:
Bob,

Concerning Bane I see a possible action for Nolan: Being together with Rachel was a major driving force of Bruce's desire to fight crime and restore Gotham to its original glory. Now that Rachel is gone all that he has going for him is the sense of personal duty to be the city's Dark Knight. However, being human like any of us and hunted throughout the city, this is wearing thin for him. He's tired of being Batman. This is where Bane enters the story. Remember the imitators in DK?

There's a high possibility of Bane being one of those imitators that adores Batman. What if he notices that Batman, his idol, is faltering with cleaning up the streets? A fan seeing their hero fall from their pedestal is devastating. He wants to fight crime just like Batman so bad that Bane would think that HE should take Batman's place. In several comics he's known to be somewhat of a genius. Maybe create an exoskeleton that increases one's strength ten-fold, but how can any normal human being last that long in such a physically demanding suit? Perhaps Bane creates a compound (VENOM) that drastically increases his body's endurance, stamina, and strength to handle the suit. Now he's going through the streets at night and taking out the crime everywhere. This garners Bane the love of the public perhaps. The majority of Gotham citizens still think Batman killed Harvey Dent, but here comes the new hope: Bane. The Joker nearly broke Batman in DK, Bane is here to finish it. Maybe not break him physically as in Knightfall, but mentally.

Slowly overexposure to the VENOM compound slowly deteriorates Bane's mental capacity and he starts killing the criminals. Now Bane's view of justice is drastically black/white. No mercy, no matter what the crime. This would allow Batman to reevaluate his purpose for the city. He just began considering his purpose at the end of the Dark Knight it would be great to see him expound on that.

Maybe thats just me.
I can see that working.

I'm a little disapointed that the rumors about David Tennant playing the Riddler turned out to be false, but I'll still give the film a try.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
I am surprised they didn't have Talia Al Ghul, the mother of Batman's bastard son and daughter of Ra's from the first film. She could come to Gotham, after home Rachel was killed and offer Batman Ra's remaining resources, thinking that he finally decided to start killing (considering he was scape goated at the end of the last film). Batman turns her down and she sends her two top people to help him fight crime Bane and Catwoman, who kill criminals, Batman stops them both and then must stop Talia. That makes sense as a movie right?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Funy how you associate Spider-Man 3's failure with Venom, because everyone seems to love Venom and the only thing they hate about Venom in the movie was not so much that he was there, but because he sucked in that movie.

Also, I think Bane's neat in theory, because he's a genius bruiser, not just a brainless beefcake. But apparently, the only thing he's done that's noteworthy is crippling Batman? Perhaps comic book writers can do more with him, then?

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
annoyinglizardvoice said:
SkullCap said:
Bob,

There's a high possibility of Bane being one of those imitators that adores Batman. What if he notices that Batman, his idol, is faltering with cleaning up the streets? A fan seeing their hero fall from their pedestal is devastating. He wants to fight crime just like Batman so bad that Bane would think that HE should take Batman's place. In several comics he's known to be somewhat of a genius. Maybe create an exoskeleton that increases one's strength ten-fold, but how can any normal human being last that long in such a physically demanding suit? Perhaps Bane creates a compound (VENOM) that drastically increases his body's endurance, stamina, and strength to handle the suit. Now he's going through the streets at night and taking out the crime everywhere. This garners Bane the love of the public perhaps. The majority of Gotham citizens still think Batman killed Harvey Dent, but here comes the new hope: Bane. The Joker nearly broke Batman in DK, Bane is here to finish it. Maybe not break him physically as in Knightfall, but mentally.

Slowly overexposure to the VENOM compound slowly deteriorates Bane's mental capacity and he starts killing the criminals. Now Bane's view of justice is drastically black/white. No mercy, no matter what the crime. This would allow Batman to reevaluate his purpose for the city. He just began considering his purpose at the end of the Dark Knight it would be great to see him expound on that.

Maybe thats just me.
I can see that working.

I'm a little disapointed that the rumors about David Tennant playing the Riddler turned out to be false, but I'll still give the film a try.
WHAT? This is news to me. You mean there was a rumor going around that the 10th Doctor might have fought Batman??? That would've been amazing! I too thought the Riddler was the next choice, because the Riddler being the master at nearly impossible riddles would go great with the WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE. Y'know get the audience engaged trying to figure out along the way. Oh well...

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
MB202 said:
Funy how you associate Spider-Man 3's failure with Venom, because everyone seems to love Venom and the only thing they hate about Venom in the movie was not so much that he was there, but because he sucked in that movie.
http://comiccritics.com/2010/01/31/insert-brand-new-day-joke-here/

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
HankMan said:
Who is anyone kidding by saying that we will be going to see this film for anything besides Catwoman?
OK, you caught us. All 12 million of us. You happy? We like Anne Hathaway.

GiantRaven said:
FANBOY MOMENT INCOMING!

Bane's badass-ness just went off the charts after that picture. He was cool for "breaking the Bat", and now we have this.

Love to see how Nolan interpret's Bane into a story. Sure, they could do the steroid route, but what if he does something else? We just have to wait.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
You know what I fucking love? The fact that everyone here is giving Bob's viewpoint even a scintilla of credit.

HELLO?!? Nolan gave us Memento, Inception, The Prestige, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight... even his lone 'dud' was Insomnia (which I personally enjoyed)...

And MovieBob- a critic, not even slightly experienced with the challenges of directing and producing big-budget films- can't be bothered to give him the benefit of the doubt?!?! Are you really fucking serious???

Hey Bob? Unlike every other director in Hollywood, Nolan has yet to even kind of flub a movie, so how's about you take off your Batman pajamas and concede the fact that he might actual have a specific plan in mind, and isn't just bumbling around in the mythology you clearly so ardently adore? I'm sorry you're scared, but I doubt Nolan is targeting only Batman nerds with this film.

Related pro-tip: maybe Nolan doesn't give a flying fuck about paying the fanbois any attention, and is more interested in crafting a story that everyone- not just Batman comic collectors- will enjoy.

Because... well, you know... that approach really seemed to work for the first two Batman movies he did.

But then again, maybe you're right. Maybe all that matters is his adherence to the 'cannon', and he shouldn't try to expand the audience; only the Batman 'faithful' are important... let me tell you, that's a super-effective marketing decision right there.

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
I had a feline that Catwoman would be in the next batman movie. Why else would they kill off rachel? You can chant the name of nolan, but he is still a hollywood director

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I have more worry about Catwoman than Bane. Joker while Batman's major bad guy also lacks a certian seriousness a lot of the time. That deeply scary and twisted character in he Dark Knigt is also known for rigging bombs up rubber chickens. Nolan took the best and left out the electrocuting joy buzzer. Bane, while problematic, has potential: a mob boss that realizes that he has to come to Batman's level to do business. To be as much enforcer as businessman. I was actually expecting more of a focus on the mob and its leader in the 3rd movie, and while I would have bet on Black Mask or Penguin, I see Bane working.

Catwoman (Selina) I just can't see any new or orignal angle to use.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I just imagined Bane killing Batman like Kratos killed Poseidon. That would be an awesome ending(camera work and all)