Metal is not "Screamo"

Gado911

Apr 17, 2009
People that confuse the two genres deserve to die in a fiery abyss. Every single time i listen to any form of metal there is always an asshole who asks me 'Why do i listen to that screamo grabage?" Biggest pet peave of all time.

amoamaremetallum

Nov 28, 2010
Its not so much it being called Screamo for me as it is just the negativity of it. And I've always just followed the idea that 'Screamo' was literally just metal that contained screaming...

But I do agree with you, but then again, most people don't listen to it and don't pay attention to the various 100,000,000 subgenres that metalheads get offended to if you label them incorrectly. And I'm pretty sure the world is conspiring to belittle it by not calling it Metal.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
*while burning in a fiery abyss*

There are only so many ways to describe something you do not understand.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The only subgenre of metal that matters is melodic/epic power metal. Everything else is just noise.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
I call it Screamo all the time, just to piss off metalheads.
They're so easy to troll, it's almost not worth the effort.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Yes thank you i hate people who call metal "screamo" it annoys me as well and i have a tendency to yell at people who call it "screamo" to the point my dad now refers to anything i listen to as "angry white guy music"

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Berethond said:
Is Jamanticus so capable of provoking those of the metal persuasion?

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
Berethond said:
Is Jamanticus so capable of provoking those of the metal persuasion?
I'm sure he is.

gamerguyal

Jun 24, 2010
I've heard Papa Roach being referred to as "screamo". Some people just don't know music genres outside of the mainstream rap/hip hop/pop phase that we're currently in.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Berethond said:
Haha best thing ever. I give my brother shit about his terrible music choices all the time.

On a related note, there is a really fit metalhead that walks around my campus and is very nice. Its weird because most are either too skinny or flabby, and generally socially awkward or douches to anyone different. He almost gives me hope for the subculture.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
amoamaremetallum said:
staika said:
"angry white guy music"
Show him Oceania.
oh i know exactly what my dad would say, he'd call it "creepy colored music"
(for the record hes not racist he just thinks he is :p)

amoamaremetallum

Nov 28, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
SimuLord said:
The only subgenre of metal that matters is melodic/epic power metal. Everything else is just noise.
I object, good sir!

Symphonic power metal is a worthy addition, as well.
Certain Melodeath bands come to my mind as well. I'm just going to say that any Metal band that is truly devoted to creating masterful and artistic works deserves some sort of acknowledgement.

The thing is the dang subgenres... Every one of them has their diamonds.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Ehh Metal is over glorified anyways. Its not bad but to make it a point not to listen to anything else is moronic.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
Metal only refers to the style of the music while screamo refers more to the vocals.
so metal sound=<youtube=P6ZJP1QyeBo>
screamo sound=<youtube=Q6Jt-0B0WpU>
even if the song has a metal sound, the vocals make it screamo.
or something like that.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
My sister calls it "shouty music."
I don't listen to a lot of metal, and the stuff I do listen to is pretty lightweight. But metal =/= screamo.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
This sort of genre confusion bothers me as well. Not with metal and screamo so much, although I can understand your frustration due to my own frustration when people call My Chemical Romance "punk".

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
SimuLord said:
Pfft. Black metal or GTFO. =)

Seriously though...