Metal is not "Screamo"

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
It goes both ways. I'm mainly into deathcore, but I like all genres, and I can't tell you how many people say that rap is hip hop, or that maybe house music is techno or something. Though similar, and I can understand the mistake, I really feel the urge to correct them...just know that most people that make the mistake of incorrectly categorizing some music, aren't as knowledgable on it. It's like a child making a spelling mistake; they don't know any better.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
Anything that annoys metalheads is good in my book.
Okay, that was just REALLY unnecessary.
Possibly, but people who are offended when someone says something is a genre which they disagree with deserve it.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Gado911 said:
People that confuse the two genres deserve to die in a fiery abyss. Every single time i listen to any form of metal there is always an asshole who asks me 'Why do i listen to that screamo grabage?" Biggest pet peave of all time.
No shit. Screamo has those high pitched fags singing that sound like they have their nuts tied up. I say, "I listen to metal, not Bullet for Cry by Myself."

amoamaremetallum

Nov 28, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
Possibly, but people who are offended when someone says something is a genre which they disagree with deserve it.
So I am being unreasonable by being upset by people's intolerance? I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with that statement. As many people have said, people mistake other genres as well, and I can't tell rap from hip hop. But I'll never know if people don't actually tell me. I accept they don't have to go "WARHRGRHAGRHRGAHRGAHGRHAG THATS NOT IT YOU STUPID IDIOT GET IT RIGHT YOUR A DISGRACE TOHUMANITY WHARGHRGAHRGAHRGAHRAH" but then again, that's not what we're doing here either...

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Screamo, eh? Well, if that offends, why not try using a different term? See if it catches on...

Cookie monster?

Imagine this; double kicker, pumpin' riff, cookie monster...

'C' IS FOR COOKIE! THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR MEEEE! COOKIE, COOKIE, COOKIE SARTS WITH 'C'EEEEEE!

I feel that this works pretty good, and comes across way more family friendly, your thoughts?

aldt

Nov 17, 2010
Trolls exist IRL too, y'know.

But if they are being sincere in their misunderstanding, it may be because metal often involves quite a lot of screaming. Or growling, I'm not really familiar with the specific nomenclature; I'm a singer, which to me involves making sound, rather than noise.

It's even more confusing when you consider that screamo does not actually involve screaming, but rather castrated wailings, like an infant being deprived of cocoa pops in a supermarket.

Ah, the ever-expanding labyrinth of musical terminology.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Gado911 said:
People that confuse the two genres deserve to die in a fiery abyss. Every single time i listen to any form of metal there is always an asshole who asks me 'Why do i listen to that screamo grabage?" Biggest pet peave of all time.
No shit. Screamo has those high pitched fags singing that sound like they have their nuts tied up. I say, "I listen to metal, not Bullet for Cry by Myself."
Bullet For My Valentine (I assume that's what you're referring to) is metal whether you like it or not.

amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
So I am being unreasonable by being upset by people's intolerance? I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with that statement. As many people have said, people mistake other genres as well, and I can't tell rap from hip hop. But I'll never know if people don't actually tell me. I accept they don't have to go "WARHRGRHAGRHRGAHRGAHGRHAG THATS NOT IT YOU STUPID IDIOT GET IT RIGHT YOUR A DISGRACE TOHUMANITY WHARGHRGAHRGAHRGAHRAH" but then again, that's not what we're doing here either...
When I say metalhead, I mean those types who overreact to every minor difference in genre, similar to your example. They deserve everything they get. I agree that a polite correction is fine, it's just extremely rare among those who tend to listen to metal.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Gado911 said:
Bullet For My Valentine (I assume that's what you're referring to) is metal whether you like it or not.

amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
amoamaremetallum said:
smithy_2045 said:
When I say metalhead, I mean those types who overreact to every minor difference in genre, similar to your example. They deserve everything they get. I agree that a polite correction is fine, it's just extremely rare among those who tend to listen to metal.
Still for 14 year old kids who just broke up with their bf/gf and hate their parents.

Hairetos

Jul 5, 2010
SovietX said:
Screamo is also known as Hardcore, which is a load of crap.
Example of screamo would be Bring Me The (Hairstraightners) Horizon, Parkway Drive etc.

I dont know if its just me but Screamo is essentially the Emo kid genre, along with stuff like Linkin Park and My Chemical Romance.
Screamo is nowhere near metal, I believe it should be its own stupid genre instead of being a sub genre of metal.
Example of Metal would be Anthrax, Anvil, Megadeth, Testament, Iron Maiden etc

Im a death metal man myself (Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Hate Eternal etc etc)
So wait, metal only includes the metal bands you like? Because it's inconsistent to say that metal includes the classics (Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament) AND your personal death metal while not including what other people like that's called metal. Until you get some objective criteria, I'm calling bullshit.

Sorry, you pissed off a Parkway Drive fan.

philzibit

May 25, 2009
2012 Wont Happen said:
This sort of genre confusion bothers me as well. Not with metal and screamo so much, although I can understand your frustration due to my own frustration when people call My Chemical Romance "punk".
I would call the first two MCR albums punk.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
RUINER ACTUAL said:
smithy_2045 said:
RUINER ACTUAL said:
Gado911 said:
Still for 14 year old kids who just broke up with their bf/gf and hate their parents.
And yet, I'm 20, have no girlfriend issues, like my parents and still enjoy listening to them. As do many of my friends.

People like you are why it's fun to troll metalheads.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Who the hell would confuse the two genres?

I grew up listening to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, one of the first metal bands in the genre. Anyone that would confused their music as Screamo has got a another thing coming as I wait for them with a 2 by 4 covered with rusty nails around the corner...>=O

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
philzibit said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
This sort of genre confusion bothers me as well. Not with metal and screamo so much, although I can understand your frustration due to my own frustration when people call My Chemical Romance "punk".
I would call the first two MCR albums punk.
I've not heard much of their earlier stuff. Maybe they were punk at one point.

However, I doubt that the little teeny bopper wearing a "punk princess" t-shirt calling them their "favoritee punx bannd!!!" has ever heard their earlier, more punkish, stuff either. Those are the sort of people I was referring to.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
thegamermn said:
Now. I will not insult others or the genre by calling myself a metalhead however I understand there are various subgenres of metal. That being said:I listen to some metal and the types they refer to as 'screamo' are metal songs where the lyrics are screamed. The reason the mainstream thinks all metal is like this is because, for the most part, this is what they have been exposed to, either by someone they know who listened to those kinds of metal songs, or even someone they don't know who had the music too loud. Even the media, during the multiple attempts to 'warn parents of the dangers of metal' would use this psecific type, probably to put metal in as negative a light as possible
the man has a point. And you can never really label music. They all get cast into a genre that may or may not even fully describe them. Deftones, for example, are an example of this. They have some songs that they scream in, but not in an angsty guitar wailing way it gets portrayed. and they have their fair share of slower, dirty rock sounds they've become (somewhat) famous for. You can't label things, just learn to associate certain bands with other when you suggest them, but don't go "ooh, is that some screamo band?" because then I'd have to punch you in the face, and I don't want to have to do that, you seem like a nice kid.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Gado911 said:
What bands do you listen to?