Metal is not "Screamo"

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
I can't stand most metal anyway.

It's because it all sounds exactly the same. To me it is just a very loud incoherent noise.

Jun 11, 2008
SimuLord said:
The only subgenre of metal that matters is melodic/epic power metal. Everything else is just noise.
Iron Maiden is not noise:p. You can't kill the metal any of it.

OT: I don't mind when people mix up subgenre but when people mislabel a whole genre AND hold it in a negative light with no formed opinion it does annoy me.

Lnc0

Sep 20, 2010
Zekksta said:
Novskij said:
Zekksta said:
Novskij said:
Their similiar when your ignorant, or you dont understand them.
Holy shit, so much grammatical suck in the one sentence.

OT: No, Metal is not Screamo. Of course there are so many different types of metal nowadays it's hard to keep track of what's what I suppose.
Heavy,Thrash,Death,Black,Power,Progressive,Doom.

Not really that much. Every metal band pretty much falls into one of these even if they have industrial, avant garde, or any other influences.
Metal, Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Alteritive Metal, New Metal, Morotic Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Speed Metal, Dark Wave Metal, Hip Hop Metal, Gothic Metal, Deathcore Metal, Thrashcore Metal, Trash Metal, Alteritive Gothic Metal, Black Metal, Dark Industrial Metal, Deathcore Metal, Grindcore Metal, Mathcore Metal, Glam Metal, Hardcore Metal, Industrial Techno Metal, Metalcore, Melodic Thrash Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Power Metal, Rock Metal, Melodic Trash Metal, Rap Metal, Noise Meta, 80's Metal, Grove Metal, Pirate Metal, Hardcore Metal, Doom Metal, Electric Metal, Folk Metal, Viking Metal, Traditional Metal, Orchestral Metal, Symphonic Metal, Progressive Metal, Dark Melodic Death Metal, Love Metal, Hair Metal, Epic Metal, Melodeath Metal, Extreme Metal, Funeraldoom Metal, Blackeneddeath Metal, Unblack Metal, Melodicblack Metal, Symphonicblack Metal, Drone Metal, Neo-Classical Metal, Sludge Metal, Post Metal, Stoner Metal

Read more: Can you list all the metal (Music) types? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/356015#ixzz19K8lMDjV
You missed 'Nu Metal'

But man that's so many labels, why are they needed? 'Rap Metal'? What's wrong with just saying it's both Rap and Metal? So redundant

amoamaremetallum

Nov 28, 2010
Zekksta said:
Lnc0 said:
Zekksta said:
Novskij said:
Zekksta said:
Novskij said:

OT: No, Metal is not Screamo. Of course there are so many different types of metal nowadays it's hard to keep track of what's what I suppose.

Not really that much. Every metal band pretty much falls into one of these even if they have industrial, avant garde, or any other influences.
Metal, Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Alteritive Metal, New Metal, Morotic Death Metal, Thrash Metal, Speed Metal, Dark Wave Metal, Hip Hop Metal, Gothic Metal, Deathcore Metal, Thrashcore Metal, Trash Metal, Alteritive Gothic Metal, Black Metal, Dark Industrial Metal, Deathcore Metal, Grindcore Metal, Mathcore Metal, Glam Metal, Hardcore Metal, Industrial Techno Metal, Metalcore, Melodic Thrash Metal, Melodic Black Metal, Power Metal, Rock Metal, Melodic Trash Metal, Rap Metal, Noise Meta, 80's Metal, Grove Metal, Pirate Metal, Hardcore Metal, Doom Metal, Electric Metal, Folk Metal, Viking Metal, Traditional Metal, Orchestral Metal, Symphonic Metal, Progressive Metal, Dark Melodic Death Metal, Love Metal, Hair Metal, Epic Metal, Melodeath Metal, Extreme Metal, Funeraldoom Metal, Blackeneddeath Metal, Unblack Metal, Melodicblack Metal, Symphonicblack Metal, Drone Metal, Neo-Classical Metal, Sludge Metal, Post Metal, Stoner Metal

Read more: Can you list all the metal (Music) types? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/356015#ixzz19K8lMDjV
You missed 'Nu Metal'

But man that's so many labels, why are they needed? 'Rap Metal'? What's wrong with just saying it's both Rap and Metal? So redundant
Oh, it's not my list, I just grabbed it off the link I posted.

I don't even know what half of those even mean. It is annoying when things are put into the wrong genre, but when you have SO fucking many, is it really that hard to believe it happens?

The amount of times my friends have bitched me out because I call something Metal when it's grindcore or something Heavy Metal when it's Death Metal is kind of annoying. I see where they are coming from but really.
I do agree with you on that nitpicking on the specific genres is irritating and unnecessary, but screamo is a very condescending term that just insults us.

Lnc0

Sep 20, 2010
I dunno why metal heads get so upset about the use of 'Scremo' out of context, they aren?t exactly angels themselves

I think when metal heads throw about a meaningless label like 'indie' (Seriously what does it even mean these days?) simply just to peg it onto bands they don't like or they feel aren?t 'Hardcore' enough, I think that's 100x worse and almost every metal head i know does this. I mean I?ve had people tell me that Colplay and Biffy Clyro are 'indie' before... i mean really? I don't even like either of them and i feel that's an injustice to them both.

Eye for an eye lads, eye for an eye

amoamaremetallum

Nov 28, 2010
Zekksta said:
amoamaremetallum said:
Zekksta said:
Lnc0 said:
Zekksta said:
Novskij said:
Zekksta said:
Novskij said:

You missed 'Nu Metal'

Oh, it's not my list, I just grabbed it off the link I posted.

I don't even know what half of those even mean. It is annoying when things are put into the wrong genre, but when you have SO fucking many, is it really that hard to believe it happens?

The amount of times my friends have bitched me out because I call something Metal when it's grindcore or something Heavy Metal when it's Death Metal is kind of annoying. I see where they are coming from but really.
I do agree with you on that nitpicking on the specific genres is irritating and unnecessary, but screamo is a very condescending term that just insults us.
I don't get why it insults anybody, the only real definition I can get from screamo is there's a lot of screaming in it. Which is exactly what a lot of metal seems to have.

To be clear, As I have made perfectly clear in earlier posts, I know Metal is not Screamo, I'm merely asking why the label is so condescending/offensive

Well, most people who don't listen to/understand metal are people who think it is nothing but reckles yells and unsophisticated bashing on guitars, when most of it is actually considered an art. There are people who spend hours a day trying to perfect their riffs and tap melodies and other stuff which requires WAY more skill than some popular genres of today.

Screamo is used (it really doesn't mean it) to the point WITH THAT BELIEF that metal is nothing but horrible bashing and wailing, that everyone who uses the word 'screamo' thinks metal is 'see above'.

I'm not trying to get in an argument or anything, but how would you like it if you spent 10 years learning how to play guitar masterfully and joining a band and creating EXTREMELY complex music, only to be insulted by a teen who hasn't listened to your music or taken the time to properly understand?

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Get used to it. I know it's annoying as hell, but well... Might as well deal with the incompetence of this century at once. It's a natural thing in our world, really. As for the people who call metal "noise" or screamo, please learn the difference between the genres. I don't go around insulting whatever music you like, so don't insult mine. Is that too much to ask? Learn the difference. Peace.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've not found any metal I enjoy listening to. I've tried a wide variety, though I couldn't tell you the name of the bands because I've long forgotten them.
SovietX said:
Screamo is also known as Hardcore, which is a load of crap.
By who? Hardcore means hardcore punk to me. So I think of Minor Threat, early Husker Du, Black Flag, Bad Brains, and many others that mostly came from within or right around the 80s.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
I can't stand this metalcore/screamo shit. I'm into epic, black, heavy, classic metal, etc. So, therefore, I define any metal that I dislike at screamo, if only to make people whose opinion differs from mine angry.