Metal Thread

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
I think you should do a giant list of all the bands, and let escapists post comments favoriting bands/adding more, and keep track of it all with the band name and favorites next to each other - in one massive post.

Anyway, here are some bands I know quickly (I could always dig up more) that I don't think are on your list OP - with ?s for those that are borderline non-metal:

Accept
Adema (?)
Alestorm
Almah
Annihilator
Avenged Sevenfold (?)
Blind Guardian
Bullet For My Valentine (?)
The Claymore (Fucking awesome for how obscure the poor bastards are, and yes it's also my favorite anime...)
Dio (?)
Disarmonia Mundi
Disturbed
Dope
Dragonforce
Drowning Pool (?)
Five Finger Death Punch
The Haunted
HIM (?)
In Extremo
In Flames
Killswitch engage
Korn (?)
Korpiklaani
Lamb Of God
Lordi (they try their best)
Manegarm
Murderdolls
Nocturnal Rites
Pantera
Powerman 5000 (?)
Rage
Rob Zombie (?)
Sabaton
Scar Symmetry
Scorpions (?)
Shadows Fall
Shinedown (?)
Skillet (?)
Slipknot
Soil (?)
Soilwork
Sonata Artica
Sonic Syndicate
Spineshank
Static-X
Stratovarius
Thousand Foot Krutch (?)
Trapt (?)
Trivium
Unearth
The UNguided
Waltari
Wolfmother (?)

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
Gladiateher said:
I like killswitch engage. Is that a good thing?
Liking anything is a good thing, because it makes you happy. Metal exists to make people happy, so ignore anyone who tells you to have fun differently because they either don't understand how fun works or failed pre-school.

Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.

So! I will be posing a question. What are some really good, really heavy (I'm talking death metal here) bands, that don't scream. Bolded because everyone ignores that part and recommends Parkway Drive or Morbid Angel, or something screams. I can tolerate some screaming, but only on a case by case basis (Periphery, for example).
Really screaming (or growling) is kind of a key feature of death metal. But in terms of heavy bands that don't scream? You should definitely listen to Scurrilous. An album which I will never ever ever stop plugging for it's pure genius. It's by Protest the Hero, and it's absolutely amazing.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Very few mentions of Black Sabbath or Ozzy, you people make me sad. Seriously though, do we need another metal thread? There are tons floating around.

Horkeldorf

Feb 28, 2011
I'm on a massive Anorexia Nervosa kick right now. Great band from France.

Also... Any In Flames here pumped for their new album? :D

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I know something similar has been done, but...

Also,

and, y'know... a bunch of other stuff. Especially Iron Maiden.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Blind Guardian
Megadeth
Metallica
Pantera
Kittie - Am I the only one here that likes them?
Iron Maiden (?)
Dream Theatre
Exhibition
Korn (?)
Ozzy Osbourne
Opeth
Static-x
Nightwish
Delain

I don't get to listen to metal all that often, but those are the ones that I like. I know some of them may not be considered metal, but I don't really care since I think they are awesome.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Gladiateher said:
Liking anything is a good thing, because it makes you happy. Metal exists to make people happy, so ignore anyone who tells you to have fun differently because they either don't understand how fun works or failed pre-school.

Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.

So! I will be posing a question. What are some really good, really heavy (I'm talking death metal here) bands, that don't scream. Bolded because everyone ignores that part and recommends Parkway Drive or Morbid Angel, or something screams. I can tolerate some screaming, but only on a case by case basis (Periphery, for example).
Really screaming (or growling) is kind of a key feature of death metal. But in terms of heavy bands that don't scream? You should definitely listen to Scurrilous. An album which I will never ever ever stop plugging for it's pure genius. It's by Protest the Hero, and it's absolutely amazing.
Yeah, pretty much all death metal has screaming. I was referring to it more as a heaviness benchmark than as a genre, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the recommendation. The singing was a little high pitched for me, but the math metal chugging was awesome enough to overcome it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
bahumat42 said:
countdown till someone quotes me for "the wrong genre" starts here:
Wrong genre. The Fall Of Troy are hard rock, perhaps a little Mathcore. But certainly not metal.

OT: I just fucking love Panzer Division Marduk. One of the heaviest albums ever.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Oh boy. List time of bands I listen to/love:

Ahab--Funeral Doom (in the vein of Evoken)
Alcest--Shoegazer/progressive and black metal
Anaal Nathrakh--Extreme black/death metal
Ataraxie--doom metal with black metal influences.
[b.abuse]--instrumental doom/atmospheric
Baroness--prog metal
Black Shape of Nexus--ambient doom
BLCKWVS--instrumental atmospheric sludge.
Boris--sludge, doom, drone, hardcore, punk, ambient/atmospheric. Mostly doom, drone, and sludge.
Buried at Sea--funeral doom, but a bit harsher, slightly more droney, and more black metal inspired vocals.
Cynic--avant-garde/progressive metal
Doomshine--epic doom
Earth--atmospheric drone metal
Envy--Japanese hardcore band.
Evoken--funeral doom. One of the first big bans to do funeral doom.
Funeral--funeral doom (surprise!) with clean vocals.
Greg(o)rian--progressive-ish; really long songs.
Isis--post-metal, progressive, avant-garde.
Iwrestledabearonce--speed/thrash, I think. Not sure what they get labeled as.
Khanate--um...blackened atmospheric doom? Really long, painfully slow songs that are really depressing.
Jesu--progressive, usually melodic metal.
Leviathan--black metal
Mastodon--progressive.
Maudlin of the Well--avant-garde.
Motograter--thrash/nu-metal.
Mourning Beloveth--some awesome Irish doom metal.
Mouth of the Architect--atmospheric semi-melodic sludge is the best term I have.
Mushroomhead--alternative metal. Awesome if you're into more normal stuff.
Neurosis--progressive, avant-garde, some thrash/hardcore pieces.
Ocean--funeral doom.
The Ocean (different from Ocean)--progressive/avant-garde metal.
Ophis--funeral doom metal
PainForged--most of what I've heard is a cross between drone, atmospheric and funeral doom.
Pelican--instrumental metal
P.H.O.B.O.S.--uh...blackened atmospheric industrial doom?
Rammstein--NDH/tanz-metal. Very melodic heavy metal with clean vocals.
Rigor Sardonicous--very slow funeral doom with more distortion/filters than most bands ever think about using.
Rosetta--semi-atmospheric post-metal. Their lyrics are some of the best.
Sabazius--drone (all their stuff is free online!)
Sinistra--drone-doom
Sunn O)))--gods of drone/dark ambient.
Swallow the Sun--Finnish metal group. Not sure if they're prog metal or what though.
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine--drone
Tephra--post-metal/doom/ambient
Thergothon--fathers of funeral doom. Slow songs, deep growled vocals.
Tool--technical prog/avant-garde.
Xasthur--atmospheric black metal
Zaraza--industrial doom.
Ариа (Aria)--more traditional heavy metal, from Russia. Like Iron Maiden but I think better.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. That list is very representative, though, covering basically all the metal I listen to frequently. It ought to appeal to those of a more eclectic taste (i.e., metal hipsters, snark snark snark) or who prefer longer, slower, more atmospheric pieces.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
bahumat42 said:
theres a reason the best bands can't be classified.
AC/DC - Hard Rock
Led Zeppelin - Hard Rock, Psychedelic Rock
Deep Purple - Hard Rock
Pink Floyd - Progressive Rock
Queen - Rock, Pop Rock.

Do I need to go on?

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Ironic Pirate said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Gladiateher said:

Yeah, pretty much all death metal has screaming. I was referring to it more as a heaviness benchmark than as a genre, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the recommendation. The singing was a little high pitched for me, but the math metal chugging was awesome enough to overcome it.

You're welcome. Rody is definitely an acquired taste, but the music itself is really fantastic in my opinion.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Korpiklaani - Folk metal
Ensiferum - Zelda metal

Some awesome awesome of awesome there.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Pop is a genre. Well Pop Rock is at least.

And only giving me Zeppelin? But Pink Floyd are mainly Progressive. Deep Purple are hard rock, even if the band members don't like to classify their music. AC/DC are hard rock, it even says so in your wikipeadia withdraw. So I got everything except for Queen based on your merits and yet your only giving me Zeppelin.

Good try though.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
bahumat42 said:
RanD00M said:
bahumat42 said:
Pop is a genre. Well Pop Rock is at least.

And only giving me Zeppelin? But Pink Floyd are mainly Progressive. Deep Purple are hard rock, even if the band members don't like to classify their music. AC/DC are hard rock, it even says so in your wikipeadia withdraw. So I got everything except for Queen based on your merits and yet your only giving me Zeppelin.

Good try though.
i gave you nothing
you listed two genres for zepplin
my point for floyd stand if people are calling it two things
deep purple could be either again based on what it said
and Ac/dc it clearly stated as also being a pioneer of heavy metal

I assumed you could read, was i wrong with that assumption.
I wish for no hostilities my life has been a whole lot easier since i stopped caring what people wish to classify music, its why real pushthroughs in music happen in bands which wish to not be classified.

You can keep arguing if you like , but Im perfectly happy being thought of as a musical retard and just enjoy the music being created. The genre definitions benefit nobody.

Um, no? If I like say... Metallica, there's a pretty good chance I'll like a band like Megadeth, because the music they play (or, played back when either were good) is similar. Genre definitions serve the very useful purpose of allowing people to find new bands they like based on their current tastes. They're not meant to be something a band has to conform to, they're meant to define what a band has done up until this point.