Metal Thread

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Scrumpmonkey said:
No Deftones? Alt-Metal at it's very best. Since being lumped in with all the Nu-Metal stuff they have really grown as a band to produce some pretty stunning songs. Thier sound also remains pretty much unique with a wall of noise you can get lost in and the ability to find mood in an almost unparalleled way.

Metal is quite hard to define these days. Personally im more of a fan of those things on the edge of metal like QOTSA, at the drive in, Kyuss etc.
Deftones are awesome, Shove It is one of my favorites, I kinda forgot about them for a bit, I feel ashamed now. I will agree with you know, trying to define metal is getting a little out of hand now, one band will be considered metal one day and won't be the next.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Hmmm one of these. I like slow heavy riffing with grunt'ish' but still well articulated vocals, a very present and mood setting bassline and not too much abuse on the high end of the drums. I'm a big fan of bands (not necessarily metal) as Tool, Metallica, AC/DC, Nine Inch Nails, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pantera, Black Sabbath and Queen. I'm not really into them WALL OF SOUND bands, I want to be able to relax sit down and enjoy my music on a sunny day on a strawberry field.

Narclaw

Birchmen Supreme Overlord
Aug 29, 2010
You've got a good list there. I must have hundreds of CDs in my collection, mostly of metal, industrial, hard rock, etc. I started listening to metal in my mid-teen years. At first it was bands like Metallica, Slipknot, Static-X, System of a Down, Mudvayne, and other mainstream metal acts. Over the years my interets expanded to other metal subgenres like death/black/doom/progressive/grindcore and other thrash metal bands like Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Evile, Sodom, Sacrifice and a bunch of others. Many of my preferred bands appear on your list, but I'm also a fan of Asphyx, At the Gates, Candlemass, Cannibal Corpse, Children of Bodom, Daath, Dark Fortress, Dark Tranquillity, Danzig, Dead to this World, Decrepit Birth, and shit that's a lot already. Anyway, metal's awesome!

Narclaw

Birchmen Supreme Overlord
Aug 29, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Gladiateher said:
I like killswitch engage. Is that a good thing?
Liking anything is a good thing, because it makes you happy. Metal exists to make people happy, so ignore anyone who tells you to have fun differently because they either don't understand how fun works or failed pre-school.

Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.

So! I will be posing a question. What are some really good, really heavy (I'm talking death metal here) bands, that don't scream. Bolded because everyone ignores that part and recommends Parkway Drive or Morbid Angel, or something screams. I can tolerate some screaming, but only on a case by case basis (Periphery, for example).
Hmm, try listening to James LaBrie's solo sophomore album, Static Impulse. It has some screaming, but it has mostly clean vocals. The musical style is Gothenburg melodic death metal, similar to that of Dark Tranquillity. Some Testament albums would also work. I haven't listened to all of them, but their older material as well as their latest, the Formation of Damnation is mostly clean. It's difficult to recommend melodic death metal in general, because it tends to feature both clean and gutteral vocals. A couple bands I can think of with a good balance would be Mercenary and Scar Symmetry.

Lemjir

Nov 9, 2010
Opeth (later work is better imo), Symphony X, Animals as leaders, Freak kitchen(and everything by Mattias Eklundh).

To name a (extremely) few.

EDIT" Btw, don't be musical douchebags guys.

Alkaline

Mar 12, 2011
Anaal Nathrakh - Black/death/grind
Behemoth - Black/death metal
Bolt Thrower - Death metal
Bosque - Funeral doom metal
Circle of Dead Children - Death/grind
Claws - Death metal
Darkspace - Ambient black metal
Fear Factory - Industrial metal
Heaven and Hell - Heavy metal
Human Mincer - Brutal death metal
Impetuous Ritual - Dark death metal
Last Days of Humanity - Goregrind
Melancolia - Melodic black metal
Morbid Angel - Death metal
Nevermore - Progressive metal
Nivathe - Black/doom metal
Of Darkness - Dark funeral doom metal
Regurgitate - Goregrind
Sublime Cadaveric Decomposition - Goregrind
Sunn O))) - Drone doom metal
Torture Wheel - Funeral doom metal
Tyranny - Funeral doom metal
Urna - Funeral doom metal
Weeping Birth - Black/death

Just 'cause I felt like showing off. :D

Dr. Feelgood

Jul 13, 2010
David_G said:
similar.squirrel said:
staika said:
Yay a thread about metal music! .............. wait what are we supposed to talk about?
Judging by what I've seen on youtube, discuss how you're 14 and your dislike for Justin Beiber.

OT: A few additions to that list: And So I Watch You From Afar, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Opeth, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, UnExpect.
I've heard of Opeth and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum from those.. Opeth never did anything for me and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum is.. interesting to say the least. Will check out the other three bands as soon as I have the time.

Fun Fact: I'm 14 years old.
Fun Fact: Me too!
Join the club
We have jackets

OT: The first metal I heard, and by far my favorite, is Metallica. It's not so much that I worship thrash metal, but that everything Metallica does is awesome.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Everyone else seems to be just listing off bands, but I'm too impatient to go around pasting 15 different youtube videos, and no one ever listens to them anyway.
I listen to them -- most of them, actually. And I understand your pain about too much screaming. I mostly just like that one song by the band I posted above, but it doesn't have much screaming. Hmmm... Slough Feg?

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
ItsAChiaotzu said:
David_G said:
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Dude, Bulb from Periphery invented the term Djent and you haven't labeled them as such? AAL should be under that category. Oh, and your list requires more TesseracT.
Well Bulb is Djent but I don't see what's so Djenty about Periphery.
Djent is the name given to the high compression high distortion palm muted guitar tone for which bands like Periphery are famous for. You know the main riff in Icarus Lives? That's Djent.
Well then, I was wrong.
Shockolate said:
A notice a distinct lack of Megadeth on your list good sir.
Yeah, I notice it too, also the lack of Black Sabbath.
Whoracle said:
Time for bed in my timezone, so just a quick plug for my own band for now. More on the topic tomorrow.

Tell me what you think about it. \m/
I must confess I didn't listen to both songs, but that was pretty listenable to. Very good, actually.
OmniscientOstrich said:
You mention Ihsahn but no Emperor? Shame on you. Guess I'll just list off a few bands a like:

Death Metal - Aeon, Annotations of an Autopsy, Brain Drill, Cannibal Corpse, Job for a Cowboy
Melodic Death Metal - Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Carcass, Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, Mutiny Within
Progressive Metal - Dream Theater, Opeth, In Mourning, Tool (more prog rock actually)
Thrash Metal - Metallica (earlier, plus Death Magnetic), Megadeth, Sepultura, Slayer
Black Metal - Behemoth, Emperor, May Result, Netherbird
Metalcore - 36 Crazyfists, Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Parkway Drive, Trivium
Deathcore - Born of Osiris, Whitechapel, Winds of Plague
Emperor? Oh wait, church-burnings, yay! Anyway, I looked up reviews for some of the bands you posted, and most of them are horrible. Are the reviews wrong or..? Oh, and shouldn't Job for a Cowboy belong in Deathcore?
ironduke88 said:
Parkway Drive should be on that list. I think perhaps your list slightly favours the more sludgey brutal types of metal (which I have nothing against, ObZen is one my fav albums). I personally think of slipknot as a metal band, though maybe a bit less with the last album. And you are definately missing some the more lighthearted bands like psychostick, turisas, GAWR and alestorm. Have you tried machinehead or lamb of god?
Parkway Drive isn't on the list because I generally dislike -core stuff. I have tried Machinehead and Lamb of God but I never really got into them that well.
Ironic Pirate said:
Gladiateher said:
I like killswitch engage. Is that a good thing?
Liking anything is a good thing, because it makes you happy. Metal exists to make people happy, so ignore anyone who tells you to have fun differently because they either don't understand how fun works or failed pre-school.

So! I will be posing a question. What are some really good, really heavy (I'm talking death metal here) bands, that don't scream. Bolded because everyone ignores that part and recommends Parkway Drive or Morbid Angel, or something screams. I can tolerate some screaming, but only on a case by case basis (Periphery, for example).
Yeah... you can't have Death Metal without screaming, though in Death Metal, it's called growling. Though you're looking for heavy bands, so maybe some Doom or Stoner Metal? Like Saint Vitus and Supuration or Electric Wizard.
Naeo said:
Oh boy. List time of bands I listen to/love:

Ahab--Funeral Doom (in the vein of Evoken)
Alcest--Shoegazer/progressive and black metal
Anaal Nathrakh--Extreme black/death metal
Ataraxie--doom metal with black metal influences.
[b.abuse]--instrumental doom/atmospheric
Baroness--prog metal
Black Shape of Nexus--ambient doom
BLCKWVS--instrumental atmospheric sludge.
Boris--sludge, doom, drone, hardcore, punk, ambient/atmospheric. Mostly doom, drone, and sludge.
Buried at Sea--funeral doom, but a bit harsher, slightly more droney, and more black metal inspired vocals.
Cynic--avant-garde/progressive metal
Doomshine--epic doom
Earth--atmospheric drone metal
Envy--Japanese hardcore band.
Evoken--funeral doom. One of the first big bans to do funeral doom.
Funeral--funeral doom (surprise!) with clean vocals.
Greg(o)rian--progressive-ish; really long songs.
Isis--post-metal, progressive, avant-garde.
Iwrestledabearonce--speed/thrash, I think. Not sure what they get labeled as.
Khanate--um...blackened atmospheric doom? Really long, painfully slow songs that are really depressing.
Jesu--progressive, usually melodic metal.
Leviathan--black metal
Mastodon--progressive.
Maudlin of the Well--avant-garde.
Motograter--thrash/nu-metal.
Mourning Beloveth--some awesome Irish doom metal.
Mouth of the Architect--atmospheric semi-melodic sludge is the best term I have.
Mushroomhead--alternative metal. Awesome if you're into more normal stuff.
Neurosis--progressive, avant-garde, some thrash/hardcore pieces.
Ocean--funeral doom.
The Ocean (different from Ocean)--progressive/avant-garde metal.
Ophis--funeral doom metal
PainForged--most of what I've heard is a cross between drone, atmospheric and funeral doom.
Pelican--instrumental metal
P.H.O.B.O.S.--uh...blackened atmospheric industrial doom?
Rammstein--NDH/tanz-metal. Very melodic heavy metal with clean vocals.
Rigor Sardonicous--very slow funeral doom with more distortion/filters than most bands ever think about using.
Rosetta--semi-atmospheric post-metal. Their lyrics are some of the best.
Sabazius--drone (all their stuff is free online!)
Sinistra--drone-doom
Sunn O)))--gods of drone/dark ambient.
Swallow the Sun--Finnish metal group. Not sure if they're prog metal or what though.
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine--drone
Tephra--post-metal/doom/ambient
Thergothon--fathers of funeral doom. Slow songs, deep growled vocals.
Tool--technical prog/avant-garde.
Xasthur--atmospheric black metal
Zaraza--industrial doom.
Ариа (Aria)--more traditional heavy metal, from Russia. Like Iron Maiden but I think better.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. That list is very representative, though, covering basically all the metal I listen to frequently. It ought to appeal to those of a more eclectic taste (i.e., metal hipsters, snark snark snark) or who prefer longer, slower, more atmospheric pieces.
Metal hipster, that's me. I'll take a better look at your list when I have more time.
Zantos said:
Korpiklaani - Folk metal
Ensiferum - Zelda metal

Some awesome awesome of awesome there.
Wait wait wait. Zelda metal?

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
'Oh wait, church-burnings, yay! Anyway, I looked up reviews for some of the bands you posted, and most of them are horrible. Are the reviews wrong or..? Oh, and shouldn't Job for a Cowboy belong in Deathcore?'

Didn't want to take up half a page quoting that entire wall of text, but as for your questions I have no idea what bands you looked up or where you sourced your reviews. Personally I very rarely actually read reviews and find the most effective method is simply to look up an act on youtube and see if it's your cup of tea (obviously varying with certain bands having vastly stronger/weaker efforts depending on the album). And no, JFAC may have started out as a Dethcore group but the albums they've released are Death Metal.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
'Oh wait, church-burnings, yay! Anyway, I looked up reviews for some of the bands you posted, and most of them are horrible. Are the reviews wrong or..? Oh, and shouldn't Job for a Cowboy belong in Deathcore?'

Didn't want to take up half a page quoting that entire wall of text, but as for your questions I have no idea what bands you looked up or where you sourced your reviews. Personally I very rarely actually read reviews and find the most effective method is simply to look up an act on youtube and see if it's your cup of tea (obviously varying with certain bands having vastly stronger/weaker efforts depending on the album). And no, JFAC may have started out as a Dethcore group but the albums they've released are Death Metal.
These ones: Aeon, Annotations of an Autopsy, Brain Drill. Yeah I should probably check them out on youtube, but you know, laziness.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
David_G said:
OmniscientOstrich said:

These ones: Aeon, Annotations of an Autopsy, Brain Drill. Yeah I should probably check them out on youtube, but you know, laziness.
See that's funny, from what I've heard Aeon and Annotations reviews have been mixed (the latter I refer to a specific album where they turned Death Metal as opposed to that Grindcore shit they used to do) and Brain Drill have been critically lauded, all subjectivity I guess. But like I said, when it comes to music I've never been one to buy into reviews. I looked up a few things I hadn't heard of from your own list, but my own apathy prevents from going through all of it in one day, so it's something I'll probably come back to later on eventually.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
David_G said:
Zantos said:
Korpiklaani - Folk metal
Ensiferum - Zelda metal

It's not official, and probably not true, but we were listening to them and I said "Hang on, haven't these last three songs been basically the story to ocarina of time?" From then on we decided they had to be referred to as Zelda metal.

Mr. Fancy Pants

May 7, 2011
I'm not the biggest metal fan, but I fucking love Korpiklaani! These guys are the greatest band of all time, every song they release is pure gold.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Zantos said:
David_G said:
Zantos said:
Korpiklaani - Folk metal
Ensiferum - Zelda metal

It's not official, and probably not true, but we were listening to them and I said "Hang on, haven't these last three songs been basically the story to ocarina of time?" From then on we decided they had to be referred to as Zelda metal.
Doesn't matter, Zelda Metal sounds awesome.

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
http://www.mapofmetal.com/#/home

Pretty fun site. Don't know if they got all the facts right, but it kept me entertained for a while.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Sharalon said:
http://www.mapofmetal.com/#/home

Pretty fun site. Don't know if they got all the facts right, but it kept me entertained for a while.
Oh wow, that's awesome.