Metro 2034 Will "Compete With Call of Duty"

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I loved every single radioactive second of METRO 2033 barring the times that Artyom became engrossed in his watch and couldn't look away as Miller went kaboom, and I cannot wait for the sequal, but dont try to ape a game just because its got a big fan base.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Woodsey said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just because CoD is popular doesn't meant that's what you should instantly compare every fucking shooter too. The shooting in Metro 2033 was almost completely fixed in the Ranger pack DLC, anyway.
I think they are commenting on the production values and polish of the gameplay, not the game's stlye. Personally i don't think THQ have enough clout with 4A games to command them to "make something like CoD". Part of the team that created the pre-alpha versions of STALKER work of 4A games, these are not men of compromise. They want to make a game that will be regarded as being as well poished as something like CoD4 managed.

Personally i didn't find the PC version of Metro 2033 to be broken... really at all. I think it is unfair that Eastern European games get labled "Buggy" yet something like Black Ops can ship with major issues and it is simply glossed over. Yes the 360 port of Metro 2033 was something of a mess and that left a bad taste in some peoples mouths (and it didn't help that many sites didn't use the definative PC version for their reveiws)

I don't think they mean to interfere in the game really at all, i like THQ, i trust THQ in projects like this.
Well, as you said yourself, its not like CoD actually has particularly high production values or a satisfactory amount of polish.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
If it does have CoD shooting mechanics, then I'll waste less bullets on the fucking LIBRARIANS! But then that was what made it intense on the PC, losing bullets and fumbling around all survival horror like.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100417000431/metro2033/images/thumb/4/4c/Metro2033_(2)_2010-03-23_14-08-41-71.jpg/250px-Metro2033_(2)_2010-03-23_14-08-41-71.jpg

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
Why does everyone want to compete with the call of duty's. Seriously COD4 is the last awesome game in the series imo. I loved Metro and I can't wait for the sequel.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Competing with Cod is not fucking possible, I can't even fathom why they try.

Next up they're probably going to make a Metro MMO that's going to compete with WoW.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Compete with" can mean a lot of different things and I think Scrumpmonkey is probably fairly close to the mark: I expect more polish, perhaps a more accessible interface, a little less repetition, a little more forgiveness, a more focused marketing campaign - but not any big changes to the underlying mechanics. It's a tough balance to strike. Russian (actually Ukrainian) shooters, at least those that have made it to our shores, are typically more about survival than about being the big hero, and that's not something our audience is accustomed to. What can you really change when the very nature of the game runs counter to everything Western gamers take for granted in their shooters?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Woodsey said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Woodsey said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just because CoD is popular doesn't meant that's what you should instantly compare every fucking shooter too. The shooting in Metro 2033 was almost completely fixed in the Ranger pack DLC, anyway.
I think they are commenting on the production values and polish of the gameplay, not the game's stlye. Personally i don't think THQ have enough clout with 4A games to command them to "make something like CoD". Part of the team that created the pre-alpha versions of STALKER work of 4A games, these are not men of compromise. They want to make a game that will be regarded as being as well poished as something like CoD4 managed.

Personally i didn't find the PC version of Metro 2033 to be broken... really at all. I think it is unfair that Eastern European games get labled "Buggy" yet something like Black Ops can ship with major issues and it is simply glossed over. Yes the 360 port of Metro 2033 was something of a mess and that left a bad taste in some peoples mouths (and it didn't help that many sites didn't use the definative PC version for their reveiws)

I don't think they mean to interfere in the game really at all, i like THQ, i trust THQ in projects like this.
Well, as you said yourself, its not like CoD actually has particularly high production values or a satisfactory amount of polish.
Well i used too, i maintain that CoD4 is proabaly one of the tighest shooting games ever made and i admire THQs ambition in tying to make a game that is both essentially russian, still the designers vision but aiming for a level of polish that is on par with the biggest budget games. This is not a bad thing, CoD did used to be very polished... well before Activision raped IW.

On a side note i think the shooting mechanics in CoD have started to leave something to be desired for a 'realisitc' game. In terms of the weight of the weapons, the ballistics and the feel of the combat i think STALKER does a better job of giving you really visceral and grounded gun battles. People go on about STALKER's atmosphere but first and foremost the game NAILS the shooting mechanics. CoD fits more of the "Floating gun" type formula and i think it's combat lacks any real weight or sense of danger.
Not to mention the context of Metro 2033 - the guns are DIY pieces of shit for the most part. I think the only true mistake they made with them (pre-Ranger pack) was making dirty bullets do less damage. I'm sure there are other penalties they can inflict instead (worse range, more likely to jam the gun, whatever) that make more sense than having someone survive a shot to the face.

What the Ranger pack did was too simply make ammo more scarce, but then raise it's damage.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Why do games have to compete with cod? Just look at the mmos trying to compete with WoW. They don't succeed, and fps'es trying to compete with CoD won't succeed.

RedRussian

Jun 7, 2010
teh_Canape said:
this isnt my name said:
I still havent got around to buying the game (im broke) but
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It looked great why make it like CoD ?!

Polish is good for games, but CoD isnt a good FPS game. Imo.
well, to be honest, Metro 2033 could've used better shooting mechanics

and admit it, the Call of Duty series has excellent shooting mechanics

lolrhyme
Yes, even if you dont like COD overall, it has extremely tight controls.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
One thing fans of Russian (actually Ukrainian) games don't want to see, however, is an overt Westernization of their franchises. Games like Cryostasis [http://www.amazon.com/S-T-L-K-R-CALL-PRIPYAT/dp/B002QE22DQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1297447052&sr=8-3] and of course Metro 2033 have their own unique flavor which emerges in large part from their bizarre plots and viciously unforgiving nature. Russian (actually Ukrainian) games really are different from their Western counterparts and Bilson said that's one thing THQ has no intention of changing.
And that is what I wanted to hear. Even the Westerizing of the names in Metro 2033 bothered me a little... :/

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
this isnt my name said:
I still havent got around to buying the game (im broke) but
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It looked great why make it like CoD ?!

Polish is good for games, but CoD isnt a good FPS game. Imo.
i think they're trying to keep the atmosphere and all those elements and purely put more polish on the shooter mechanics... the main issue with metro 2033 is that the shooting didn't work as well as it should've, it didn't feel like you were overwhelmed by monsters, it felt like the game engine was being a dick and not letting you shoot enemies you had quite clearly shot, which is what i'm hoping they're working on

also, go ukraine

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Woah way to aim high there THQ! Let's not bother making new and interesting games when we can make shooters that are just there to ape CoD.

Help us steam your our only hope!!