Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
This is both hella and lame. I am disappoint, Jackson Estate. VERY DISAPPOINT.
Just what I was going to say, though not in the exact same words of course.

Very very poor show on behalf of the Jackson Estate.

There have been Eminem videos (well, there's one I can think of) that have been less than favourable in "paying homage" to Michael Jackson...

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I can understand why they want the memory of Micheal left alone but i dont see why Popcap couldnt have asked for permission.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Was this update applied to Steam too? I just loaded up PvZ and my dancing Zombie is still the same. I'm guessing though it just means for the console/live arcade version.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Ah, jeez. At some point, making money just becomes some superficial game about increasing numbers. Of course, at the cost of other parties

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
One of the signs that society is moving in the wrong direction is that people lose the ability to laugh at themselves. Honestly, Jackson Estate, I bet Michael would have loved is game.

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
Oh no. I smell another Lars Ulrich coming. Making a Michael Jackson parody/homage, is like making a Star Wars reference. Everyone does it. So is the "Jackson Estate" gonna shit all over everything that has a resemblance to Michael?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Actually the Michael Jackson zombie thing has been used before in other media I'm pretty sure. I seem to remember there was a bit on that in "Return Of The Living Dead Pt. 2" (I think) where the zombie hits an electric fence and starts jerking around break-dance style, and yes it looks like Michael Jackson.

I think law suits and such are an increasing problem if they prevent homages like this one, even if it never went to the court phase.

I liked Michel Jackson's early work when I was growing up, despite what he turned into. On a lot of levels I suspect this is a sign things are getting more mercenary/draconian after his demise than they were when he was alive. Sort of like how Elvis arguably became a bigger business after his death than when he was alive due to the way the estate merchandised his image and intellectual properties and such...

Even if he was a child molester, he didn't seem to be that uptight or especially touchy when it came to his work and people making homages or parodies and such. At least in this respect he'll be missed, because I think that's an attitude towards your work and doing business you just don't see much anymore.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I don't think it's "too soon" anymore haha...and considering that this game has been out for how long now?

haha...that, or more likely the MJ Estate just wants royalties (since money is all they want it seems)

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
Christ... stuff like this makes me sad to be an MJ fan. Next they'll re-release "Space channel 5" and remove MJ out of "respect"

Save us.A7X

Apr 15, 2009
This is pretty stupid, if they think a Micheal Jackson zombie is offensive then why can we still watch Thriller on Youtube? It's the same thing really, only difference is they own Thriller, oh wait I just answered my own question didn't I. =/

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
If this is applied to the Steam versions retroactively, I may buy a physical copy. I can understand PopCap respecting the wishes of the family (assuming this isn't just a money-grab), but altering my game without my permission is unethical. Supporting quality game developers vs. supporting unethical business practices? I'm so confused...

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
You ain't the only one woman! :mad:

I'm very sad at this news. This makes the game a bit less fun and happy for me. So I'm guess the 360 version will be Jacksonless? Sad Face.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Popcap did give an homage to Michael Jackson, in a parodic sense. I had thought that parodies were generally allowed. I am amazed that the Jackson estate would be offended by something that is clearly not offensive in any way. If anything it's better publicity than MJ ever received while being alive. Popcap tried to do something in the way of bringing MJ's memory to life, in much the same way that Elvis is portrayed today. I suppose it's just better for Popcap to have removed it, all the Jackson Estate has accomplished is the removal of an homage to MJ. I wonder if they would do that to the MJ fans who dress up as MJ from the thriller album.

AmayaOnnaOtaku

The Babe with the Power
Mar 11, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
I play plants vs zombies with my son (age 3) he never got to see MJ in his thriller glory and the dancing zombie brought a smile and a few giggles to him. I guess the almighty dollar is more important to the family than bringing Michael and his legacy to a new generation