Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

Mikkel04

Jul 28, 2010
Thanks, Escapist, for stealing my PvZ screen cap from imgur: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8vs15/i_cant_decide_if_plants_vs_zombies_is_now/

I can tell it's my image because it is both poorly cropped and in JPEG format (it was before I discovered the wonders of PNG).

If you are looking for a more nicely cropped version with fewer artifacts, I suggest you check over here: http://daryltay.net/2009/10/music-mondays-xlvi-plants-vs-zombies-thriller-by-michael-jackson/

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
I guess a dancing zombie homage to a guy who was an awsome performer and did a music video where he was a zombie is only funny until they guy actually dies... I think it's the actually being a zombie that makes it more bothersome, the 100s of elvis homages don't seem to catch much flak but most of them couldn't really be distorted into a joke about him being dead or dying. This probably has more to do with money than respect for the family or thier grief. But I guess if one of my loved ones died, I wouldnt want to see thier zombie equivilant in anything really.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Dear Jackson Estate, [br] [br] Piss off. [br] [br] Yours, Sextus.

Really? Is this honestly neccessary? The guy's dead, but putting him in PvZ is a way of letting him live forever! Through gaming culture...

right?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Dan Shive said:
Popcap would likely win in court, but not before a lot of time and money was spent.
And PopCap is, despite appearances, a very, very small company. My guess is the Estate wanted some money to use MJ's likeness, and PopCap couldn't afford to pay up (or simply didn't want to, for which I don't blame them a bit).
It was fun while it lasted but I agree with you. PopCap couldn't be asked to pay the family or fight it in court over something so unimportant.[footnote]To the company that is![/footnote]

The Disco Zombie is okay, I guess. We can still enjoy it outside of the game, using google!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I can see both sides. MJ is still talked about, so I'm sure for his family it's been near impossible to just move on like most of us can when someone we love dies. On the other hand, I think if anyone would have had a fair sense of humor about this, it would probably have been MJ, since this seems more like a tribute than a mockery.

/stilltorn

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
And I was going to buy a copy of the game this evening. I've played a lot of tower defense games, and one of the huge selling points of this one was the sense of humor.

But if they are willing to patch out that same humor, well...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
PopCap did the right thing but I too am a little bummed out. Oh well, the world will continue without this goofy Michael Jackson parody.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm guessing that the depiction of that shambling, boggle-eyed creature missing most of its face hit just a bit too close to home.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I guess we should go back and digitally remove actors from movies after they pass on, because the fact that people die is apparently still too adult for people that supposedly grew up a long time ago.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The irony is that the "Jackson Estate" is probably being less respectful of Michael than what they're accusing Popcap of doing. I mean really... it's a completely harmless little homage to Michael, AND it was done well before he died, so they can't really claim that Popcap was trying to make fun of that by making him into a zombie.

I can see it now though. The description for the new "Dancing Zombie" is going to have a jab at the Jackson Estate. Popcap has a clever enough humor that they can find a way to do it without it being obvious to anyone but those who know about it.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I know we're a cynical bunch here at the escapist, but it is still JUST possible that the Jackson family only recently heard about this, and see it as someone having a joke at Michael's expense, especially with him being dead, and undead in game. There's the possibility they asked for it to be removed for respect purposes and Popcap did.

I'm not saying it did happen, it's likely to all be down to laywers and cash, but it's possible. I know I'd feel kinda upset if one of my family members died and showed up as a comedy character in a game. (yes I know the game came before the death.)

All in all, while Michael was fairly nutty, and his family are a bit strange too, they're still a family who recently lost a son, and probably have a right to be offended about zombie jokes. It does seem a shame when this one was fairly harmless, and there's so much worse out there tho.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Michael himself would have loved it. What this shows is his family either A)didn't know what Michael really liked as far as homages in his honor, or B)Don't give a shit because all they care about is the money they can squeeze from his rotting corpse. I'm about willing to bet all of the above.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Wow, what killjoys.

Now, I will agree that the red leather outfit, the jheri-curls, and the blatant reference "resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental" probably gives the estate the legal grounds to pursue action, but on the other hand...

Do they not realize that it's a very positive reference: one which evokes happy memories for those of us who saw the video, and might even expand his audience a little by sparking some interest in the character in younger generations?

Just seems silly and- at best- pointless- at worst- even perhaps a little self-defeating.

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
What a disappointment, it was a funny tribute to one of the most famous music videos ever made. I wonder if this really upset any of the family cf. some humourless suits managing the estate.

Gift.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
SenseOfTumour said:
I know we're a cynical bunch here at the escapist, but it is still JUST possible that the Jackson family only recently heard about this, and see it as someone having a joke at Michael's expense, especially with him being dead, and undead in game. There's the possibility they asked for it to be removed for respect purposes and Popcap did.

I'm not saying it did happen, it's likely to all be down to laywers and cash, but it's possible. I know I'd feel kinda upset if one of my family members died and showed up as a comedy character in a game. (yes I know the game came before the death.)

All in all, while Michael was fairly nutty, and his family are a bit strange too, they're still a family who recently lost a son, and probably have a right to be offended about zombie jokes. It does seem a shame when this one was fairly harmless, and there's so much worse out there tho.
I wouldn't feel upset. Having a dead family member in game would be -awesome-. Or myself even. But, that's a different mindset, so, I can understand how some people could be upset by it.