Michael Pachter Predicts Wii U Failure

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Trishbot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
The GC did better than the WII but the WII sold at a profit that plus hard marketing made Nintendo this gen, sadly this 1.5 WIIU system won't do as well.
The Wii FAR outsold the Gamecube, AND the Wii was always sold on a profit. I believe the Wii is actually the second most-successful console of all time, behind the Playstation 2.

So, Patcher's claim that they 'got lucky' with the 2nd most popular console ever made is pretty ballsy of him. Stupid, but ballsy.
Yes it did but software did poorly because the majority of buyers mothballed the console after awhile leaving only a few million casual and consistent buyers.

In that respect the Cube did better.

The trouble with the WII is that it was built on a gimmick once it fades your hard pressed to find many good to great games on it.

I mean I use my WII as much as my PS360 I guess I got Xenoblade(drooling over last story desu) and find some of the niche 3rd party titles to be fun/neat/interesting but good god as a Console standard it fails and the WIIU is just a patch job that requires another a 300$ purchase. You have to admit things are not looking up and with its shaky foundation it might just wind up like the Dreamcast, tho I do not think this console will be the end of Nintendo but damn its close even with the profits from the WII its not enough to run a lagging Console empire.

While I am at it MS lost their shirts with the 360 fail rate tho made it back up with insane support across the board and Sony lost half as much and are still feeling it. Nintendo is sadly feeling it now due to a lack of consistent sales which is worrying as that's all they got.

Edit

Adding Apple dose well with their hardware revisions and it dose not seem to hamper the DS much so I guess Nin will make a killing this go around but meh its just too shallow a product, now as far as I am concerned the PS360 is shallow too just in software(and maybe sony overestimating things and MS underestimating things) frankly they all need to fail, we need universal hardware, walled gardens suck you have to pay more to get the fewer and fewer gems that are made....

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
rolfwesselius said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
rolfwesselius said:
Fappy said:
I honestly agree with him. The main issue, in mind, is that the Wii U's hardware will fall behind again in the next gen and it will getting shitty 3rd party support again... only this time all of the casuals will be playing games on their iPhones.
You honestly think sony or microsoft will make consoles sold at a loss again?
They have only just started making a decent profit they will just make them so they turn a profit right out of the gate which will limit possible tech.
They both sold console at a loss but made profit in the software sales. It makes sense to me, especially since they charge developers for the license to put games on their console for every game made.
Yes but you need massive software sales to compensate for the massive loss they made.
The xbox 360 was sold at a loss of 126 dollars that means every gamer needed to buy 12! games to compensate.
12!
How long does it take you to buy 12 60 dollars a pop games for your console, That's a total of 720 dollars worth of software sales per person! And that is not counting the consoles produced that haven't even been sold yet!
You're also neglecting the deflation of the console production cost over time, which does deflate pretty quickly.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
AzrealMaximillion said:
rolfwesselius said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
rolfwesselius said:
Fappy said:
I honestly agree with him. The main issue, in mind, is that the Wii U's hardware will fall behind again in the next gen and it will getting shitty 3rd party support again... only this time all of the casuals will be playing games on their iPhones.
You honestly think sony or microsoft will make consoles sold at a loss again?
They have only just started making a decent profit they will just make them so they turn a profit right out of the gate which will limit possible tech.
They both sold console at a loss but made profit in the software sales. It makes sense to me, especially since they charge developers for the license to put games on their console for every game made.
Yes but you need massive software sales to compensate for the massive loss they made.
The xbox 360 was sold at a loss of 126 dollars that means every gamer needed to buy 12! games to compensate.
12!
How long does it take you to buy 12 60 dollars a pop games for your console, That's a total of 720 dollars worth of software sales per person! And that is not counting the consoles produced that haven't even been sold yet!
You're also neglecting the deflation of the console production cost over time, which does deflate pretty quickly.
Ya I figure Nin made losses on software and MS/Sony made losses on hardware, nin has more inflated hardware numbers its almost like a hollow apple product, they all have missed the beat but nin seems to be losing it IMO.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I wouldn't belief Micheal pachter if he said my house was on fire

I get that the WiiU will be different, odd, so games for it will be different.
But I think that is where Nintendo can make it a strength. Offer us games that are interesting..do more then Microsoft or Sony. Do it DIFFERENT.

The Wii... you know.. it did in the end get some great games. Once people bit through the "waggle waggle" issues. With its asynchrone design it might come over odd at first. But I think it can do allot of good.

Like that mario game where one person plays the game.. and another on the special controller makes the level WHILE it is being played. A gimmick? I am not sure... this could be more then just a gimmick.

I think the WiiU must play on its strenghts. That is not graphics as the PS4/Xbox720 but on gameplay and innovation.

And I do own a PS3.. and yes I did have a Wii collecting dust. It is only lately that the Wii really has some super titles out there that shows how being different.. can offer a different kind of game.

I like my PS3 I like my shiny high def games but.. some type of games do not requires HD graphics. The problem is that making a game for the PS3 kinda puts you in the situation of having to make it look PS3 worthy. This means putting allot of money into graphics..

Sure its nice if the graphics are nice but it isn't the most important. And on the Wii not being required to go full HD .. means all that energy and times goes into actual design and gameplay. This means that some types of games..rpg's of the odder kind.. have left the PS3 and gone to the Wii.

I like Xenoblade Chronicles.. a great game.. on the PS3 well unless it came with polished graphics no "gamer" would look at it. On the Wii.. on the Wii the graphics are about as good as it gets. You don't desire more out of it

As long as Nintendo can push the STRENGHTS of the WiiU. It will be good.. and as long as they don't make a Wii Music..oh boy!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
ZippyDSMlee said:
Trishbot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
The GC did better than the WII but the WII sold at a profit that plus hard marketing made Nintendo this gen, sadly this 1.5 WIIU system won't do as well.
The Wii FAR outsold the Gamecube, AND the Wii was always sold on a profit. I believe the Wii is actually the second most-successful console of all time, behind the Playstation 2.

So, Patcher's claim that they 'got lucky' with the 2nd most popular console ever made is pretty ballsy of him. Stupid, but ballsy.
The trouble with the WII is that it was built on a gimmick once it fades your hard pressed to find many good to great games on it.
I think this is one of those huge "untruths" that people just kept repeating and repeating until everyone believed it.

The Wii, the poor, gimmicky Wii, is home to over 136 million-selling titles, and nearly a thousand games that nearly sold a million copies. It wasn't just Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

And, I should be clear, the Gamecube was my favorite console of all time, but the Wii is no slouch. I mean, just off the top of my head, here's a huge collection of games on the Wii worth owning:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Dead Space: Extraction, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Okami, House of the Dead: Overkill, Madworld, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Zak and Wiki, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii, Epic Mickey, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Punch-Out!! Wii, Rayman: Origins, Resident Evil: Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles, Sonic Colors, Endless Ocean, Little King's Story, Red Steel 2, Manhunt 2, The Conduit, de Blob, and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

Couple that with the fact that a Wii can play all Gamecube games as well, and that's a massive list of quality games the system can play, from both first and third party creators.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
does anyone here realize that whenever a company goes into a pure development/marketing/production phase they will post some form of losses (in some cases for a few years i.e. PSVita), and then after full distribution has begun, and sales the company then begins to show gains.

Not to mention several people have pointed to Nintendo's motion controls as gimmicky (seriously take an honest look at the Kinnect, and the Move)
and now their touch screen gamepad as a bad move/idea (look at tech demos of the WiiU GamePad from from last year, and then look at the tech demo of Smart-Glass they are the same dang thing)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Trishbot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Trishbot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

I think this is one of those huge "untruths" that people just kept repeating and repeating until everyone believed it.

The Wii, the poor, gimmicky Wii, is home to over 136 million-selling titles, and nearly a thousand games that nearly sold a million copies. It wasn't just Wii Sports and Wii Fit.

And, I should be clear, the Gamecube was my favorite console of all time, but the Wii is no slouch. I mean, just off the top of my head, here's a huge collection of games on the Wii worth owning:

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Dead Space: Extraction, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor, Okami, House of the Dead: Overkill, Madworld, No More Heroes 1 & 2, Zak and Wiki, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii, Epic Mickey, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Punch-Out!! Wii, Rayman: Origins, Resident Evil: Darkside/Umbrella Chronicles, Sonic Colors, Endless Ocean, Little King's Story, Red Steel 2, Manhunt 2, The Conduit, de Blob, and Mario Galaxy 1 & 2.

Couple that with the fact that a Wii can play all Gamecube games as well, and that's a massive list of quality games the system can play, from both first and third party creators.
and the PS360 have twice or 3 times as many, just look at the numbers.

Unfortunately the WII sold to alot of non gamers, yes Nin made a profit but its a hollow one because they cannot maintain it the PS360 have a hard enough time keeping up and they are well supported by the industry as a whole, the WII not so much.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Trishbot said:
You want to know the difference between an analyst and a troll? How they phrase things.

Nintendo "gave in" to Activisions demands for a classic controller.

Nintendo listened to developer feedback and proved they're willing to cater to developers' needs and interests to encourage future support with their new system.

See? Same situation, different spin. There's no reason why Patcher had to spin Nintendo's (possible) acceptance of a more traditional controller as a BAD thing, like they gave up their integrity or something to allow for more accessibility on their system.
Didn't they also give in to developer demands on the Circle Pad Pro? Look how poorly that has been supported.

- Only in Gamestop and their website
- Always out of stock
- Wasn't even used to it's potential with Kid Icarus

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
1. This guy is fuckin' retarded.
2. It may fail, that is absolutely a possible outcome.
3. There should be no confusion, if this guy is right it's because he is lucky. No one should take this guy seriously. Analysts often times see themselves as having some sort of vision of the future that stands a fair chance of being right. All analysis of the analysts predictions versus actual outcomes shows it coincides with random chance, as outlined by Leonard Mlodinow in his book on chance, The Drunkards Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives. Just for fun, I'll explain further. Analysts analyze past events and explain why the things that happened actually occurred. This give them the false impression that their hindsight is 20/20. It's because they are so confident in their perfect hindsight that they believe they foresee to a reasonably good degree an outcome that is likely or unlikely based on the information at hand. But anyone who is familiar with chance knows that foresight in the immediate future is one thing, but to think one can foresee something in the distant future or over a longer length of time is impossible because there are far too many factors to take into account... that was fun, haven't thought about that in a while.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Trishbot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Trishbot said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

WII U dose not play GC games.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
medv4380 said:
The guy has no cred on this issue. He was overly critical of the Wii when it came out so it's no surprise he's critical of the Wii U. Now if he was an analyst who has a track record of getting market predictions correct then what he says would matter. I'd get a better view of what it would do if I asked a 100 people randomly how many units they think the Wii U will sell in its first week.
Even with the largest install base of consoles this generation the Wii is currently losing money in terms of software even though the console itself sells at a PROFIT.

Patcher was correct to predict that the console did fail with the "core gamer" but did not expect the Wii sell well with the curious casual audience to cover for that failure, the Nintendo fans will buy whatever is released so they are a small fraction of the total console sales

The casual audience is the ones who are no longer buying software for the Wii. So if 80% of the Wiis sold was bought for the Wii-fit or bundles game and nothing else OR outright lost interest (casual gamers are fickle and lack that kind of devotion to gaming unless its on the go like the DS or smartphone) leaving the fans who buy all the Nintendo made games to pickup the slack, which apparently isn't enough, they're not even looking to support the Wii from the looks of it

The Wii is the first console (I've seen) to lose money even with the amount consoles sold (the PS2 still made money well into the PS3 launch and onwards) so the Wii U was a shift in tactics after it became "cost effective" enough to implement them to get the hardcore market, Microsoft and Sony couldn't follow this route and came out the gate flashy with graphics as the driving force to what the core gamer want but Nintendo's push to release a console early is risky since the competitors WILL outperform them cause the components that Nintendo used that are cheaper to make more powerful console than the PS3 and XBOX360 years ago will get even cheaper to manufacture in thew next two years.

The Next Unreal and Havok Engine will most definitely be compatible with the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft and everyone that cares about graphics (the nick-picky audience Nintendo is targeting) will point that out

Even if the next consoles from Sony or Microsoft are at LEAST twice as powerful as the wii U the core console gamer will still see that as a significant enough improvement than what Nintendo is offering and will gladly wait the two years than invest in something that will be redundant by the time the next PS and Xbox console is released

Games will be released around the Wii U launch that will not be ready for their console but will be on the PS3 and XBOX360. I for one have invested a lot in my chosen console the PS3 to even "think" of buying everything again a 2nd time on the Wii U and could only think of buying the Wii U for one or two Nintendo 1st party games which leads to the lack of software sales issue the Wii had

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
AzrealMaximillion said:
I'll be honest, I did pull the 5 max games out of my ass as an estimate, but for you to combat me with a number that has no link attached to it is hilarious.

You're also forgoing a couple of factors.
1. Your attach rate does not differentiate the difference between core Wii gamers and non core Wii gamers, so by default your attach rate for casual gamers on the Wii is inflated.
2.Most casual gamers do not buy 3rd party games on the Wii, too many of them flopped because of the casual market for anyone to say otherwise. With the Wii's hardware sales even games like Zack and Wiki as well as MadWorld should have sold enough to profit, but they didn't because Nintendo marketed vigorously towards casual gamers. Hell, the PS2's sales numbers make it the KING console of sleeper hits. A lot of sleeper hit games on the PS2 sold enough to garner the Greatest Hits tag just because of how many units the PS2 sold. Case and point, Shadow of the Colossus and God Hand both sold well and in today's gaming market would have no business doing so on the Wii.
Just go to VGChartz.com and look it up, and critizing Nintendo on 3rd party support because "Casual" gamers don't buy 3rd party games is just bull. Nintendo has had more then just "issues" with 3rd parties since the N64. 3rd party titles don't sell on any Nintendo Consoles because they don't work hard to get them First or Exclusive. Your argument against them with 3rd parties isn't a Wii issue but a Nintendo Issue.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Pssst, actually they're all posting losses.

But Sony and Microsoft aren't exclusively gaming businesses, and can more easily hide their net losses in the gaming industry. I believe Sony uses the term "Entertainment Division" or something like that? But yeah, they're all losing money. Nintendo is just the easiest one to see it in, because they are a gaming company rather than a company that chooses to produce games.
Ok now you're just talking out of your ass. Sony has seen profits dip this year, MS recently reported profits going up due to the 360 sales being the biggest of the 3 consoles, hell there was an article about it on this very site. Nintendo is the only company of the Big 3 the lost money this fiscal year.

Except that if you were playing the game with friends, you'd need extra controllers ($40 per unit) and other accessories to go with them, like nun-chuks ($20) and so on.

There's a reason that these accessories are not only packaged with the games, but also sold separately, bro.
With the amount of Wiis that sold people just brought over their controllers when they went to play Wii games at a friend's or such. It's a large generalization to just assume that everyone who owns a Wii wasn't bring enough to figure that out, gamers have been bringing over their controllers to play at friends' places for a while now. Especially with the Wii-Mote coming in 2 separate parts.

I'm assuming you don't own a Wii, because most folks who own one could quickly tell you that the accessories are the majority of their expenses.
Ah Ah Ah, there's that word, "assume", it'll be the folly to your next point.
For someone like you, who either PC-games or plays on a 360/PS3, you have online multiplayer to enjoy, meaning you don't have to get your friends to come over to play games.
Truth is I did own a Wii at launch. Sold it after 10 months due to a lack of interesting games (a problem that was hilariously tagged on the PS3). Never spent a dime on peripherals. A buddy of mine bought his Wii and waited for Monster Hunter tri to come out. Beat it and got bored. Now it sits in his closet. Another friend of mine who actually is a casual gamer bought a Wii simply to play 2 games. Smash Bros Brawl and Legend of Zelda. Hasn't touched it since. Now it sits in a box in his closet. Likewise for my friend who waited on MH:tri. Hell, a third friend of mine bought the Wii for Smash Bros and now his little sister uses it to play games like Cooking Mama. The point is your factless argument about peripherals has no base. Most core gamers lost interest in out Wiis before any peripherals came out. And when they did, we didn't care. Franky, the Wii Fit board was too expensive to be worth it and the Wii plus should have been put into the damn console in the first place. And we all live close to each other and had Wiis so we didn't need to buy extra controllers. That and Gamecube controllers work on the Wii so I highly doubt that peripherals are the biggest expense for most Wii owners. And if it is, then that means that there really isn't that many games on the Wii that got people's attention, which kind of proves my point about the lack of 3rd party support. but go ahead and keep feeding the fire.
And even if you did, they usually own the console (keeping in mind each console sold is a net loss for Microsoft/Sony)
Correction, WAS sold at a loss. The 360 became profitable in 2008, the PS3 in 2010. Again both announcements had articles on this very site.

But Nintendo has a shitty internet system, meaning living-room local multiplayer makes up most of the "party" aspect. And to do that, you either need other people to buy the console and bring their controllers over (meaning Nintendo makes money for all the extra consoles) or more likely, you buy your own controllers-and-accessories so that you can play with friends on a whim (meaning Nintendo makes money on those).
Ok this is getting silly, now you're just assuming that people are pissing money at Nintendo just so they can play games with each other. Now you're forgetting two things here. Even the Wii didn't have THAT many local multiplayer games that were worth spending as much as you claim on controllers.

1.There was Smash Bros, Mario Kart and Mario Party 9. Not much else was worth playing with friends.

2.The PS3/360 actually had a ton of local multiplayer games to play. Most fighting games are played local so there's Tekken, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, BlazeBlue, and plenty of HD remakes of old fighters to occupy that racket. Hell, a LOT of people play COD local at parties. Even with having much better online than the Wii, the PS3/360 have a lot of games that people play together. Hell, you can LAN on the damn 360 and PS3. Gotta buy an adapter for that to be capable on the Wii. Hell, this even uses your ass backwards logic of Nintendo raking in cash on controllers against you, seeing as how according to your logic people must have thrown assloads of cash at Sony and MS for controllers to play games with friends in the same room.

Firstly: do you understand what "posting losses" means? It's not what you apparently think it does, nor is it as meaningful as you suggest. Companies post losses on a rather regular basis without going under.
The fact that people used to say that Nintendo was "printing money" with the Wii up until that announcement is a pretty big statement my friend. And posting losses mean, THEY ARE LOSING MONEY. And to be losing money while winning the console wars is pretty messed up. Yes lots of companies post losses without going under, difference is, they recover and change strategies. Nintendo is keeping the same strategy and it will hurt them more. Hell, they've already announced that the 3DS will be their last 3D console for a long time (again article on this site). This pretty much means they've lost faith on their primary handheld at the moment.That's HUGE for Nintendo, the king of handhelds. But instead of getting better games on the console Nintendo sells people a new bigger version thinking that people will buy it... Instead of showing ANY interesting games on the WiiU at E3, they show sequels with the letter 'U' in front of them. Yay...

Secondly: This is the first year Nintendo has posted losses since the company started posting records in 1981. If you think it's indicative of anything beyond the fact that their console is now ten years old and less people want it now, then you're seriously confused about how markets work.
It's more than just the Wii being 10......wait what? The Wii has only been out 6 years, where the hell did you get 10? Like I was saying though, its more than just the Wii being 6 years old. It has to do with the fact that a year after they release the next generation of handheld, it flopped until they cut the price of it by 30% within 6 months of launch. It has to do with the fact that besides Skyward Sword NOTHING on the Wii has garner ANY interest in the last year of Wii releases. It has to do with the fact that the WiiU is supposedly coming out this holiday season with, no release price, no release date, it being past E3, the fact that most of its titles thus far will be released on other console leaving little incentive to buy it right off the bat, and the fact that no one at all is excited for the Wii U on the grand scale. It doesn't have the fervor of want that the Wii had and that you can't deny.[/quote]

Let's talk again when the Wii U is out. If they're still posting losses, maybe we can talk then, mkay? :3
Oh will do, and hopefully your not too shocked when it doesn't fly off the shelves like the Wii did.

Psst. You've got it backwards.

Third party developers are other companies developing games for Nintendo's console, and they cost Nintendo money to distribute and whatnot.
Nope, Extra Credits covered this one. The packaging and distrubution companies get a cut of game sale.
First party games (which make up the majority of the Nintendo Wii's games) are games made BY Nintendo, which means they don't have to pay the developer much of anything since they are the developer.
Wrong again chum. 1st party games are NOT by a long shot what makes up most of the Wii's library. They're just what sell the most due to how Nintendo markets.
It means they get a larger cut of the profits than they would with a third party game. So yes, my statement is still completely accurate.
Nope, but we'll move on.

Also, you're wrong. Sega is publishing a Gearbox game for the Wii U. Obviously they aren't as vehemently against the console as you claim if they're willing to put their name onto games for it.
So a port is you big defense for that point? A port that will come out on every other console? Let me be a bit more specific with Sega and Capcom's view of making core games for Nintendo consoles. They won't be making any exclusive core games for Nintendo anymore.

Everyone's stocks dropped, because it was a shitty E3. Also, stocks drop all the time. You're reading way too much into it.
This debate is getting laugh worthy now. The stock drop I'm referring to happened last year after E3. 2 days after the WiiU was revealed Nintendo stocks dropped 10%, now I don't know if you have no clue about how stocks work but 10% is a massive fucking drop to happen in 2 days. People were scared when Square Enix's stock dropped 2% 2 years ago. 10% after the announcement of your next console is embarrassing.

Psst, you're ignoring facts to suit your narrative again. Do you work for Fox by any chance?
You've brought up no fact at all though, in fact I've had to correct you on a few things. Hell if I work for Fox you must work for MSNBC.

Also, the Wii U is on spec with the 360 and PS3, and the Wii U's internal hardware is built to resemble a computer more closely, so the port problem is essentially removed.
Until the following year when the other 2 console come out...

Again, wrong. Microsoft and Sony are both losing money, but since it's only a portion of what they do (usually labeled "Entertainment division" or similarly), the company as a whole doesn't post losses. >_>
Logical fallacy. MS would have reported 360 losses under Microsoft their entertainment division, likewise with Sony. You can't just hide losses dummy that's called fraud, look up Enron.

Sorry, I had to add that since it seemed like you were implying that the console whose overall sales STILL lead the market to this day was somehow still a flop.
Simple, 3rd party developers haven't backed the Wii in a couple of years and even with Nintendo winning the console race, they still are losing money and investors. It's not that hard to comprehend.
Obviously some people liked the thing if Sony and Microsoft still haven't caught up to it.
Or perhaps it could be that the Wii was always miles CHEAPER than the other two, which attracted casual gamers to it before they got bored with it.
I always hate this argument because it seems to basically rely on trusting your word: "Everyone I know has told me they don't play their Wii anymore, it's such a flop! I don't have hard evidence to back this assertion, just trust me, nobody plays their Wii any more!"
And meanwhile I'm kicking your crutch based argument out from under your feet. Funny how this is going/

You do realize that there are some big developers out there that produce games for the casual market, right? That developers like EA or Blizzard aren't the only types of developers, yes? Just want to make sure, because it seems you've forgotten that there's this whole other market out there, or at least are willing to ignore its obvious impact despite how well the Wii made use of it.
You do realize that most big companies that do invest in casual games don't do so very well right? We get games like Just Dance 3 and Exercise games with Jillian Michaels. For crying out loud we even have a Wii game from Cold Stone Creamery, a game where you serve fucking ICE CREAM. Oh yeah, people are lining up to pay $50 to serve virtual ice cream. Meanwhile where casual games flourish is on the iPhone and Android markets. Making $50 casual games makes literally no sense when Angry Birds and games like it dominate the casual market better than Nintendo could ever fathom.

most consoles have a shelf life of around 5-6 years before the next iteration. The Wii U is coming out roughly at the time it SHOULD be.
And yet no one seems to care...

You are seriously being waaaaaaaaay to optimistic about the WiiU, and let me being this argument back to what originally ticked me off. You're harping on me for predicting the failure of the WiiU early, yet you're here writing novellas and how much profit Nintendo could have if the WiiU sells a LOT. Your predicting from the other side and judging those who think other with, pull your head out of your behind please sir.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
So a "market analyst" who predicts that Nintendo will fail with everything they do said that Nintendo will fail...

Someone explain to me how this is anything new?
He said that the Wii will be a horrible flop yet it "won" this generation.
He said that the 3DS will fail no matter what Nintendo does, yet it's a bigger success than the DS (the best selling handheld ever).

Is there really someone who takes Pachter serious?

And to people complaining about the lack of Wii games, metacritics says the Wii has more good games than the PS360.

And MH3 deserves a much better score. Being close to CoD is just a insult to that great game.
It would be better if some of the reviewers just openly said they didn't play past the Great Jaggy because they are just bad at gaming than to think up complains.

xedobubble

Apr 2, 2009
This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgIrXKpv2gw] is what comes to mind whenever I think of what Pachter has to say about Nintendo products. Motion controls won the console war this generation. The 3d screen on the 3ds capitalized on an established trend movies have been profiting off of for years. Now they're integrating a tablet into a console? Tablet computing, touchscreen phones, are one of the biggest technological hits of the last decade! And not only is nintendo innovating the hardware, but at this rate they'll hit the market well in advance of the ps4 and xbox720, which have not been demo'ed at 2 consecutive e3's the way the WiiU was.

Nintendo was the best selling console of the last generation despite having the weakest machinery and coming out dead last (over a year after the xbox 360 and a month after the ps3). This time around, they're going to release first and have months, maybe a year, to develop a strong base of first and third party titles on a powerful console with tablet integration. If they play their cards right with smart usage of the tablet, a decent price point, and specialized appeal to casual and hardcore gamers, they will utterly lock down the next console generation.

We'll be seeing tablet support on all 3 consoles within 5 years, just like we saw motion controls all 3 this time around.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I think there will be an initial spike in sales from a group of people who believe the Wii U will follow the same trend of the Wii and try to buy out retailers' stock to sell online for a profit. It worked pretty well with the Wii due to demand being far above the supply, I'm curious whether these people will see a large profit again this time.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
I hope the Wii U fails spectacularly. Everything they've shown about it is horrid.