Michael Pachter Predicts Wii U Failure

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Michael Pachter Predicts Wii U Failure

An industry analyst thinks the Wii U will appeal mainly to "hardcore Nintendo fanboys."

The reaction to the Wii U after its dismissing it entirely [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012/9674-E3-Nintendo-Preaches-Wii-U-Gospel]. Now Michael Pachter, everyone's favorite industry analyst, has weighed in on the Wii U, and he doesn't have particularly kind things to say about it.

He called the new console a "solution in search of a problem," insisting that not many games will take advantage of the new tablet-esque functionality and that the only people who buy it will be core gamers and "hardcore Nintendo fanboys." Pachter went on to state that Nintendo could "put out a piece of cardboard and say that it'll play Mario" and still be successful with the aforementioned fanbase. He made sure to emphasize that, while he has no particular dislike of Nintendo itself, he believes its paradigm is based on novelty and therefore faulty. "I just think that they really believe that, 'If we're still novel, everything we do will work'. This isn't going to work."

Pachter had similar concerns with the Wii, which he described as 'gimmicky' when it was originally announced. The Wii, meanwhile, opened up to an explosion of sales, even temporarily beating out the PS2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88814-Wii-On-Track-To-Become-The-Best-Selling-Console-Of-All-Time] before leveling off. He stood by his original assessment of the console's viability, saying that Nintendo "got lucky" with the Wii's breakout success and that it wouldn't happen again with the Wii U.

It's not all bad news for the Wii U, though. Pachter believes that the new Wii U Pro Controller, which resembles certain other companies' default gamepads, was a Nintendo compromise prompted by third party demands. He didn't cite a specific source, but claimed he knows that Activision refused to port their major franchises - specifically Call of Duty - without a more conventional gamepad option. If true, it means Nintendo is specifically catering to third party developers' desires, which could lead to a bigger variety of third-party games on the upcoming console.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/nintendo-made-wii-u-pro-controller-secure-call-duty]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I honestly agree with him. The main issue, in mind, is that the Wii U's hardware will fall behind again in the next gen and it will getting shitty 3rd party support again... only this time all of the casuals will be playing games on their iPhones.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
The guy has no cred on this issue. He was overly critical of the Wii when it came out so it's no surprise he's critical of the Wii U. Now if he was an analyst who has a track record of getting market predictions correct then what he says would matter. I'd get a better view of what it would do if I asked a 100 people randomly how many units they think the Wii U will sell in its first week.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
There actually appears to be a lot of potential with the design, especially with asymmetric game play. I don't see Nintendo taking advantage of it. I really don't think hard ware power is going to be a big issue. Things have started leveling of in terms of graphics intensity, so as long as it's capable of running current generation graphics it'll do fine.

Frankly I wouldn't mind more games with excellent low power graphics like Chrono Trigger than another ultra realistic, gritty, first or third person game. Keep things simple and make other things compelling. Like the freedom and story of Chrono Trigger. I even love the old fmv cut scenes of Dark Forces 2.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
He has some good points, but I do believe that the WiiU Will be a success, though it could flat line like the Wii did. I just don't see it being a failure.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
HAHA. got lucky.... thats like what a 12 year old would say when he lost a competition.

YEAH, WELL, YOU JUST GOT LUCKY THIS TIME! NEXT TIME ILL BEAT YOU! :(

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
He has some good points, but I do believe that the WiiU Will be a success, though it could flat line like the Wii did. I just don't see it being a failure.
the wii didnt flatline, it was a success, and it died out around the time the console cycle dies down. its the 360 and the ps3 who have artifically extended their lifetime.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
While Pachter is pretty much full of shit, I do have some concerns of my own with the Wii U's hardware (and third-party support)... to the point where I've changed my stance on Nintendo developing their own hardware. At this point I'd be all for Nintendo and Microsoft (or Sony) as partners on that front.

Because I still think Nintendo's own games benefit from them having some control over the hardware design, but on many points I don't agree with their priorities.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
well if he yells enough times a console will fail he might be right in the end, but that doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about.

Can't we just ignore this guy. So much nonsence is leaving his mouth it isn't funny anymore.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
He's right. I think nintendo shot their bolt with the wii and I doubt they'll be able to do it again with the wii-u. I know too many people whose wii's are sat on the shelf gathering dust while while they play xbox or ps3 regularly.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
so he called the Wii "gimmicky" then it sells comparatively to the PS3, and now he's saying that the WiiU will never stand a chance. this means that if he has any consistency the WiiU will sell better then the NextBox.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
medv4380 said:
The guy has no cred on this issue. He was overly critical of the Wii when it came out so it's no surprise he's critical of the Wii U. Now if he was an analyst who has a track record of getting market predictions correct then what he says would matter. I'd get a better view of what it would do if I asked a 100 people randomly how many units they think the Wii U will sell in its first week.
You would probably get the same answer, very few have been excited about the WiiU since it was announced. Unexcited people aren't buyers.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
medv4380 said:
Well the Wii didn't exactly leave a great taste in the mouth if the Nintendo fanbase so he does have some cred. Seriously do you think that the casual crowd of consumers that bought the Wii in the first place bought more than 5 games max? Furthermore do you think that they'll buy another console in general if they don't game that much to begin with? Seriously we've seen how casuals react over time with the massive fall in profits for Zynga as well as Nintendo's own losses that have been posted. He may be right on this one.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Crono1973 said:
medv4380 said:
You would probably get the same answer, very few have been excited about the WiiU since it was announced. Unexcited people aren't buyers.
Hardware sales are what the Wii has the advantage in, Software sales is another story completely.

Threeseventyfive

Feb 25, 2012
Patcher thinks the Wii U will fail?

BRB BUYING NINTENDO STOCK

Seriously, this guy NEVER gets anything right. Stop listening to him.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
true I don't think Wii U won't be all that great specially now that I have a high end PC :/
still Wii U is the only place I'll be able to play the next Zelda

so on the same day Zelda releases I'll buy the console as well, so if Nintendo smart they'll do the same as they did with Wii

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
AzrealMaximillion said:
Crono1973 said:
medv4380 said:
Hardware sales are what the Wii has the advantage in, Software sales is another story completely.
We are talking about the WiiU and so far, not too many people are excited. Speaking of the Wii though, before it released I remember people being really excited for it, I was too.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Um, I hate to break it to you guy but Nintendo does not have anything left of its 'hardcore' base. They all went to other systems and said very bile things about the Wii. 'Hardcore' gamers don't like anything that isn't the same design they have seen for the past 10 years but updated. It comes with the fact that they have been trained for X number of years on the old design and don't want to be as inept as a new gamer in the new design.

Anyways, I reserve judgment until I sales actually start. I know lots of people didn't see the Wii as bring successful so I'm going to wait and see on this.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Crono1973 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Crono1973 said:
medv4380 said:
We are talking about the WiiU and so far, not too many people are excited. Speaking of the Wii though, before it released I remember people being really excited for it, I was too.
Sorry, quoted the wrong person :p