Microsoft: $499 Xbox One Will "Over-Deliver" on Value

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Microsoft: $499 Xbox One Will "Over-Deliver" on Value

One of the biggest announcements to come out Microsoft's E3 press conference was the reveal that the Xbox One would be releasing in November at a had their doubts that a price tag that high could find success among consumers. These doubts were only amplified by Sony's reveal that the PS4 would <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124812-Update-PlayStation-4s-Appearance-Finally-Unveiled>cost only $399. That said, Microsoft is still confident in its success and thinks gamers will be won over by the value offered by the Xbox One.

"[$499] is a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted," said Don Mattrick, head of interactive entertainment for Microsoft. "We're over-delivering value against other choices I think consumers can get. Any modern product you look at these days and $499 isn't a ridiculous price point. We're delivering thousands of dollars of value to people so I think they're going to love it when they use it." According to Mattrick the Xbox One will provide a unique combination of "devices and services" that will include Xbox Live, Kinect and SmartGlass, among other features.

No one is denying that the Xbox One, even with its restrictions in tow, will be a machine with some considerable assets to offer consumers. The thing is, if said consumers, can't afford those assets it doesn't really matter how many thousands of dollars you're packing into your console. At the end of the day $499 is still a lot of money to ask, especially when consumers have comparable competitors selling for less.

Source: <a href=www.polygon.com/2013/6/17/4439398/microsoft-over-delivering-value-with-499-xbox-one-mattrick-says>Polygon

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Uh-huh. Well, given that it's the customers who decide whether something is worth "thousands of dollars of value", I'm thinking you might get a little opposition to this idea.

Seriously, putting that price on it, declaring that it's actually worth so much more, like they're doing us a favor putting it $100 more than PS4 with more restrictions? How remarkably stupid they must think gamers.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Let's let the consumers decide the value of all these features. Is it just me or is Microsoft starting to sound like a used car salesman?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
conmag9 said:
Uh-huh. Well, given that it's the customers who decide whether something is worth "thousands of dollars of value", I'm thinking you might get a little opposition to this idea.

Seriously, putting that price on it, declaring that it's actually worth so much more, like they're doing us a favor putting it $100 more than PS4 with more restrictions? How remarkably stupid they must think gamers.
But they are not selling to gamers, they are selling to publishers. Publishers don't need to be smart, or be run effectively. Think AAA games not making money when they sell millions of copies of a game.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
StewShearer said:
According to Mattrick the Xbox One will provide a unique combination of "devices and services" that will include Xbox Live*, Kinect and SmartGlass**, among other features***.
* Requires Xbox Live subscription, sold separately
** Requires tablet, sold separately
*** Requires US citizenship, sold separately

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
"[$499] is a lower number than some of the analysts had forecasted,"

+ 59.99 for one more controller if you want to play with a friend or sibling since the old ones wont work. But what are the chances people might want to buy an xbox for the multiplayer games?
+ 59.99 for any of the launch titles, if you want to play it once you bring it home, that is. No backwards compatibility here, either...
+ 54.99 for the year of xbox live you will inevitably need.
+ the cost of internet to make the machine work, which ranges from sixty-the high hundreds. Believe it or not, families without internet are not yet mythical creatures like dragons or unicorns.

So, let's see... About 700.00 (not including tax) if you want it to work as soon as you get it home. After tax in my home province it will be closer to about 800.00.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
yes, the xbone delivers value....

to the companies.

all of these features are designed FOR COMPANIES

and the consumer is paying for them!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Isn't that exactly what Sony said about the PS3's massive launch price? Sounds like Microsoft is setting-out to repeat the mistakes they watched Sony make with this last gen. Offer-up an over-priced system, claiming that it's the "best value" because it does a bunch of things that no one (or very few people) asked for.

Edit: Yup, and I found it. See my reply a few posts down.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Is it really value when they give you crap you don't want? Do I want a kinect camera that already makes the console 100 dollars more expensive? No. Do I want the home entertainment system that hooks up my cable into it? No. Do I want to pay more for what is potentially less power in terms of Ram speed where 3GB are dedicated to the OS? No. Do I want a gaming console... YES! I do! which one should I get? The PS4 looks nice. It doesn't come with any of that crap I dont' want, and it 100 bucks cheaper... Thanks Microsoft, your talk about value really has let me see which one is worth my money.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Since the price is lower than what some analysts predicted, it must mean there's a lot of value! Either Microsoft's PR people are cluelessly digging a deeper hole for themselves or they're frantically trying to dig up out of this mess to no avail. Either way, it's getting pretty painful to watch.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I wish this guy would tell us what they have to offer that is so much better than the PS4. He keeps on saying that the Xbone offers so much, except they offer nothing more than the PS4 except the digital game sharing, which I can do with the physical copies of my PS4 games. Besides that, what else does it offer that I won't get on a PS4? In fact, it's even slightly under powered in comparison to the PS4, so what services can they offer to make up(and then $100 more so) for these deficiencies? I honestly want to know. You're allegidly educating gamers as to why your console is so great, well, Don, learn me a thing or two.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Yup, I found it:

Sony said this exact same thing 4 years ago. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88522-Sony-Slams-Wii-360-For-Offering-Less-Value-Than-PS3]

Different company, exact same justification for a price no one liked. Way to not learn from your competitor's mistakes, Microsoft.

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
Well, I can't deny it has a lot of features. So it's got that going for it. Unfortunately I just want to play a game, which the PS4 will allow me to do more efficiently and at a cheaper price.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I really don't get it, they're touting features few want as evidence by the 360's kinnect and not many seem to enjoy touch screen based controls, especially when you have to shell out extra.
And all their 'value' goes out the door when you can build a fairly beefy machine for a few bucks more and NOT have to spend the extra cost of XBL or worry about always online DRM and you have an insane amount of games for free and backwards compatibility that can't be beat.
On the console front, there's not really anything this thing offers more than either PS4 or WiiU.

Corain

Oct 19, 2012
Goofguy said:
Since the price is lower than what some analysts predicted, it must mean there's a lot of value! Either Microsoft's PR people are cluelessly digging a deeper hole for themselves or they're frantically trying to dig up out of this mess to no avail. Either way, it's getting pretty painful to watch.
It could be they have dug so deep they have forgotten which way is up. The way things are going it seems quite likely.

Ramziez

Dec 10, 2009
I wonder if that value they are talking about comes from the ability to watch TV on your TV?

Seriously this is a PR nightmare for Microsoft right now.