Microsoft Buys Skype

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Tenmar said:
Riff Moonraker said:
I have heard of skype, but never used it, so I am quite unfamiliar with it. Is this a big deal that Microsoft bought it?
Think of Skype as the essential free to use VOIP protocol and program for international calling. It was a great substitute for a younger generation and business over the use of a phone line(with the exception of local use).

Compared to Ventrillo, Mumble, and Teamspeak, Skype was the only one that did not require any consumer investment or maintenance of a server to support the other listed VOIP programs. That was a huge difference why Skype was adopted by the masses over the others. Skype was inclusive while Vent and others were exclusive.

It was a pretty big deal when Ebay bought Skype but Ebay didn't do anything with it at all. However microsoft being a software company is more likely to do something with it. Skype already offered subscription services for multiple video calling. Also Skype has already had a business model by essentially having consumers buy time or subscribe for a minute rate plan to make normal phone calls which is quite viable.

The only problem however with this model is that the infrastructure of making an dynamic IP address system into a static line like phone lines is that people aren't their IP addresses. Nevermind the lack of versatility or potential cost that ISP companies would like to charge for the extra amount of bandwidth(which is why they want bandwidth caps) consumption.

I can see microsoft essentially making this inclusive service an exclusive premium service because much like how telecom companies are trying to become television companies and television companies are trying to become telecom companies you have software companies trying to become telecom companies and television companies through the computer early. In the long term and younger generation it is a very viable model but the problem is that the software companies have to go through either a telecom company or television company to provide the service.
Very informative! Thanks!

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Ed130 said:
LGC Pominator said:
Ed130 said:
As soon I get home I'm uninstalling it. Dammm it most of my family uses it, now how are going to keep it touch?

WHY DO THE GOOD THINGS IN LIFE GET BAUGHT UP AND/OR RUINED?
... why uninstall it?

OT I like this, if it means more integration with xbox live and WP7, which would be cool!
I'm guessing you've never had to work with a windows OS before. But seriously most people use Skype for the free web calling, and the chances of that remaining free are...
Ermmm
I have been a windows user since 95 way back when! and I have never really had a problem with it, I use both skype and Windows LIVE messenger when needs be and as far as I am aware the latter service has always been free too, so I doubt that they would change what has worked for them in the past.

Also I have a HTC phone running windows mobile 6.1 (soon to be upgraded to a HTC pro 7 with windows phone 7 OS) and of course a 360, I am very familiar with windows OS's, and for the most part, they are bloody brilliant!

Anyway my hope for further integration is probably going to be vindicated as I don't see any other reason to buy out skype.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Braedan said:
Sure, but they did push Netscape completely off the market back in the good old days. Sure Netscape wasn't free for businesses, but they dominated.
Around the same time, Microsoft also bought out dozens of software and tech development firms to keep potential innovation out of the market; Unless it was going into their products that is. Microsoft was called before Congress directly as a result of that practice when the monopoly charges started looming.

Of course, I'm not saying that it would be good that they pre-install in with every Windows installation, it just seems more cost efficient.
I was actually rather surprised that Windows 7 didn't come with a pre-bundled VOIP protocol.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
mrF00bar said:
I am never using Skype again.
Because Microsoft owns it? Because that would be stupid. Like, really.

We'll see how this ends, we do not yet know what Microsoft intends to do with it. Maybe they can use the tochnology and software for XBL.